UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn President Says No Plans To Lobby Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None of Cinci, Memphis, or Houston fit the P5 academic profile. Neither do USF or UCF.

There are 64 P5 teams. Here's how the expansion candidates stack up by US News rankings:

UConn: 21st (68th percentile)
BYU: 27th (59th percentile)
Cinci: 57th (12th percentile)
USF: 61st (6th percentile)
UCF: 62nd (5th percentile)
Houston: LAST (NA)
Memphis: LAST (NA)

Cinci would be in the bottom 1/8th of P5 schools academically.

USF would be bottom 1/10th. UCF would be bottom 1/20th.

Houston and Memphis would each be THE WORST academic school in the P5 if invited. Memphis would compound the academic failure as the only P5 school not even considered "Tier 1."

Reaction Score
None of Cinci, Memphis, or Houston fit the P5 academic profile. Neither do USF or UCF.

There are 64 P5 teams. Here's how the expansion candidates stack up by US News rankings:

Houston and Memphis would each be THE WORST academic school in the P5 if invited. Memphis would compound the academic failure as the only P5 school not even considered "Tier 1."

With the caveat of course that this is based on one source that doesn't really care about research. You see so many variations of academic ratings.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is Uconn possibly #3 or #4 because of the administration or the competition? None of the schools being considered, other than BYU would have even been considered a peer of Uconn 5 years ago. Somehow "city" schools with limited reach outside of their own city have surpassed a flagship state university that has been far more successful. I guess I'm just not ready to pat them on back because we're now in a dogfight with USF and UCF. Memphis needed multiple Big East implosions or they would be prepping for another year in Conference USA.
If Memphis/UH/Cincinatti had UConn's academic and athletic profile this whole thing would be a lot more clear cut. The fact that conference 1000 miles away is considering adding UConn is all you need to know about the schools overall strength.

Reaction Score

I don't like rankings as much as another type of independent measure or grade. I do believe Cinci, Memphis and Houston fit the P5 academic profile, whatever that means. They are all public research universities. My point is, if there were 80 programs in the P5, some will be ranked in the 60's and some in the 70's but there wouldn't be much difference between say 66 and 80. Where is Louisville by the way.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I don't like rankings as much as another type of independent measure or grade. I do believe Cinci, Memphis and Houston fit the P5 academic profile, whatever that means. They are all public research universities. My point is, if there were 80 programs in the P5, some will be ranked in the 60's and some in the 70's but there wouldn't be much difference between say 66 and 80. Where is Louisville by the way.
I don't know why, but it drives me nuts that you use that font.

Reaction Score

Memphis is about as bad as you can get for a major university. They are unranked which puts them sub-280

Reaction Score
Memphis is about as bad as you can get for a major university. They are unranked which puts them sub-280
Yeah using USNWR to compare #50 to #80 - useless, but if you dont even show up on the list....

Reaction Score
Yeah using USNWR to compare #50 to #80 - useless, but if you dont even show up on the list....
Point taken. But in the words of the democratic candidate, "What difference at this point does it make?" None. It makes no difference. I wish academics were weighted 80%, athletics 19% and all the other shinola 1%. UConn would have 5 invitations tonight.
Besides, Memphis and Tulane in a P5 conference would increase their academics and athletics respectively by leaps and bounds. The supposed criteria for admittance is all part of the dog and pony show.

Reaction Score
Point taken. But in the words of the democratic candidate, "What difference at this point does it make?" None. It makes no difference. I wish academics were weighted 80%, athletics 19% and all the other shinola 1%. UConn would have 5 invitations tonight.
Besides, Memphis and Tulane in a P5 conference would increase their academics and athletics respectively by leaps and bounds. The supposed criteria for admittance is all part of the dog and pony show.
Once again with your posts, could not disagree more. Tulane has no history of pumping any money whatsoever into athletics. My high school fields were nicer than theirs

Reaction Score
Once again with your posts, could not disagree more. Tulane has no history of pumping any money whatsoever into athletics. My high school fields were nicer than theirs
What part do you disagree with? That a prestigious academic university could greatly improve its athletics if it received an additional $25-$30 million per year? OK, disagree. Continue to disagree with my posts. That's what I am here for.
First of all, I used Tulane as an example of what could happen to a great academic university if it were fortunate enough to join the elite P5...vastly improving its athletics, not as a specific case study. You could insert Buffalo or BU or Rice.
Secondly, the Green Wave have a brand new football stadium, and that was just for joining the AAC. Don't be so obtuse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What part do you disagree with? That a prestigious academic university could greatly improve its athletics if it received an additional $25-$30 million per year? OK, disagree. Continue to disagree with my posts. That's what I am here for.
First of all, I used Tulane as an example of what could happen to a great academic university if it were fortunate enough to join the elite P5...vastly improving its athletics, not as a specific case study. You could insert Buffalo or BU.
Secondly, the Green Wave have a brand new football stadium, and that was just for joining the AAC. Don't be so obtuse.
yes, I'm obtuse for pointing out facts. Tulane's athletic department is a complete disaster and always has been. Money doesn't make your institutional problems go away

Reaction Score
yes, I'm obtuse for pointing out facts. Tulane's athletic department is a complete disaster and always has been. Money doesn't make your institutional problems go away
Well, don't be obtuse.

Reaction Score
Well, don't be obtuse.

You argue like your avatar. Disregard facts and knowledge for some random narrative you've set in your own head. You've been proven wrong with just about every post you've written in the last 24 hours, time to throw in the towel.

Reaction Score
You argue like your avatar. Disregard facts and knowledge for some random narrative you've set in your own head. You've been proven wrong with just about every post you've written in the last 24 hours, time to throw in the towel.
Did you even read my post? I made a general comment and you harp on Tulane, you failed to point out any facts, and I directly contradicted your statement that Tulane spends no money on athletics. I am all for hearing objections but when you offer no substance, I just wonder why you reply in the first place. Forget about Tulane. Just try to think about how joining a P5 conference might help a university, academics or athletics. Keep it simple.

Reaction Score
Is Uconn possibly #3 or #4 because of the administration or the competition? None of the schools being considered, other than BYU would have even been considered a peer of Uconn 5 years ago. Somehow "city" schools with limited reach outside of their own city have surpassed a flagship state university that has been far more successful. I guess I'm just not ready to pat them on back because we're now in a dogfight with USF and UCF. Memphis needed multiple Big East implosions or they would be prepping for another year in Conference USA.

Cincy and Houston as a total package haven't surpassed us. But they are a better fit location wise and there's nothing we can do about that. They are also better at football, which isn't the current administration's fault, it's on the previous administration. If the Big 10 or ACC was expanding, we'd beat out Cincy and Houston wouldn't even be considered. And whether we are actually in a dogfight or not with USF, UCF or Memphis depends on which media people you believe.

Reaction Score
Did you even read my post? I made a general comment and you harp on Tulane, you failed to point out any facts, and I directly contradicted your statement that Tulane spends no money on athletics. I am all for hearing objections but when you offer no substance, I just wonder why you reply in the first place. Forget about Tulane. Just try to think about how joining a P5 conference might help a university academics or athletics. Keep it simple.

If your AD has no history of pumping money into athletics to compete, an invitation to join a better league isn't going to change that. Tulane has no alumni presence whatsoever and LSU is *the* team in Louisiana. Good luck getting any donations for your program when you have an undergrad pop of 8500 students. You can't build a program without donations even if you're making P5 money

Reaction Score
If your AD has no history of pumping money into athletics to compete, an invitation to join a better league isn't going to change that. Tulane has no alumni presence whatsoever and LSU is *the* team in Louisiana. Good luck getting any donations for your program when you have an undergrad pop of 8500 students. You can't build a program without donations even if you're making P5 money
Man you have to lighten up. First, having your programs compete in the SEC or ACC rather than C-USA drastically changes a programs priorities. Second, I am only offering my opinion. You don't have to prove me wrong with what you perceive as facts. But for the love of God, forget about Tulane! Head bang

Reaction Score
Cincy and Houston as a total package haven't surpassed us. But they are a better fit location wise and there's nothing we can do about that. They are also better at football, which isn't the current administration's fault, it's on the previous administration. If the Big 10 or ACC was expanding, we'd beat out Cincy and Houston wouldn't even be considered. And whether we are actually in a dogfight or not with USF, UCF or Memphis depends on which media people you believe.

Houston does nothing for the Big 12. Their market is redundant and while they may poach a few more prospects (that's a positive?) Greg Ward will never take a snap in the Big 12. Shades of UCF when he leaves. Consideration is purely geographic, political and based on a special player leading a temporary resurgence.

Reaction Score
Houston does nothing for the Big 12. Their market is redundant and while they may poach a few more prospects (that's a positive?) Greg Ward will never take a snap in the Big 12. Shades of UCF when he leaves. Consideration is purely geographic, political and based on a special player leading a temporary resurgence.
Well, it does have Renu Khator.
upload_2016-8-18_22-48-8.jpeg

University of Houston president Renu Khator to be inducted in Texas Women's Hall of Fame

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69