UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn President: Fall sports likely to be cancelled

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ok, this will really be my last post in this thread. The answer is an easy no. If we wait 12-18 months for a vaccine, the deaths from the economic impact will be far higher than those of the virus. 22 million people are out of work right now. It would easily reach 50 million if we wait for a vaccine. Having such a large number of people with no income would be catastrophic and it’s unrealistic for the government to take care of that many people for a period of time without complete economic collapse.
I remember a couple years ago you were arguing with me and telling me the NCAA tournament committee would never put a team from the AAC in the tournament with double digit losses, even though Cincinnati had made the tournament with double digit losses 1 or 2 years prior. When I pointed out an AAC team had already made the tournament with double digit losses, you still insisted the committee would never put a team in from the AAC with double digit losses.

Now you've figured out the best way to handle a global pandemic. Awesome!

Reaction Score
I guess? Americans as a populace are too prideful and stupid to understand how to safe themselves. We in no way shape or form can shutdown the majority of small businesses for a year without the government paying everyone. But it can’t be this idea that we pick and choose who has to chance it and who doesn’t. That will setup a horrible slippery slope for businesses who want to restart and employees who don’t want to. What happens when people get sick? Are they allowed to sue their employers? Will the government protect the employees or employers? These are questions that have to be asked and answered before we “open” things up. In other words we need a real plan.
I see where you're coming from now and where the disconnect is. I'm not saying groups X, Y, Z are high risk and stay quarantined. Just that people in those groups will have to realize that they're high risk and the country is opening before we have a vaccine to say it's completely safe for them. 100% agree though that there has to be a plan in place before we open up, what that consists of is way above my head

Reaction Score
I’m thinking these demographics might hit close to home for more than a few folks on here based on previous posts looking for medical advise here;)

(I chose this tweet only because of the breakout - not because of the source tweet.)

There's a Brooklyn doc who has been speaking out about the deleterious effects of using ventilators on Covid patients for a while now. He says the normal protocols just haven't been working. Trying to fit a square peg through a round hole.

Analysis urges less reliance on ventilators for coronavirus patients - STAT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

A good article for those saying thinking about reopening the economy is selfish when lives are at risk. Keeping the economy closed will ruin just as many, and likely even more lives than the virus. I feel it’s a factual and largely non-biased article.

You would think it would be easier to get Americans food than from keeping from getting sick from a currently unstoppable contagion.

But America gonna America.

Reaction Score
I remember a couple years ago you were arguing with me and telling me the NCAA tournament committee would never put a team from the AAC in the tournament with double digit losses, even though Cincinnati had made the tournament with double digit losses 1 or 2 years prior. When I pointed out an AAC team had already made the tournament with double digit losses, you still insisted the committee would never put a team in from the AAC with double digit losses.

Now you've figured out the best way to handle a global pandemic. Awesome!

His underlying point is not stupid, whatever you think about his basketball posts. We can't be shutdown the way we are now for 18 months. The cost of that in lives and happiness is incalculable. Now, if it was stay at home or the human species would be dead we'd deal with it, but that is not the case. Part of the "turning of the dimmer" is going to be that there is some, generally manageable risk, of participating in rejoining a society, and keeping those who are most likely to lose their lives if they catch the virus in more of a lockdown state than a healthy 32 year old is a very rational part of the process.

I'm 61, in good health but way overweight. I might choose to stay away from the Rent after the time that they open it and, if I was 30, I wouldn't think twice. But we can't keep everything shut indefinitely just because it's unfair that, if we fully reopen, my sons can go to a game and I can't.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
His underlying point is not stupid, whatever you think about his basketball posts. We can't be shutdown the way we are now for 18 months. The cost of that in lives and happiness is incalculable. Now, if it was stay at home or the human species would be dead we'd deal with it, but that is not the case. Part of the "turning of the dimmer" is going to be that there is some, generally manageable risk, of participating in rejoining a society, and keeping those who are most likely to lose their lives if they catch the virus in more of a lockdown state than a healthy 32 year old is a very rational part of the process.

I'm 61, in good health but way overweight. I might choose to stay away from the Rent after the time that they open it and, if I was 30, I wouldn't think twice. But we can't keep everything shut indefinitely just because it's unfair that, if we fully reopen, my sons can go to a game and I can't.
You can be way overweight and in good health?

What a Trumpian thing to say.

Reaction Score

>“The decision regarding face-to-face classes for Fall 2020 will be made with the approval of the Board of Trustees and communicated before June 30, 2020,” Katsouleas said. “Factors contributing to that decision will include the progress on slowing COVID-19, guidance from public health experts, decisions and guidance from federal and state government and the availability of testing among others.”

Katsouleas said faculty should be preparing for online fall courses for planning purposes only, and reiterated that no decision has been made yet regarding the fall semester return. <

Reaction Score
I suspect there is at least a 50% chance that the season is modified in some way. If students are not on campus basketball players won’t be either. If crowds are still limited to 50 or even a few hundred does it really make sense to play games? I imagine that the games won’t start until 2nd semester and the Tounament is more likely May madness than March. But again is a completely empty arena really the purpose of college basketball? Or at that point has it moved so far from its original purpose that some schools jus say the heck with it all. We’ll start again when some level of normality returns. Student will find other things to do and so will non student fans. This isn’t the NBA where players and owners only care about making money. There is at least a minimum of something more.

Reaction Score
Never underestimate the ingenuity of the American People or people from all countries. . This is wartime and innovation always takes a huge leap when your at war. What we do over the next couple of months will revolutionize how the world deals with virus.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Arizona's president said that football this fall is increasingly unlikely
Arizona president: 'Just don't see' football in fall
“Just don’t see” is everyone’s go to phrase these days.

I’ve all but resigned to no football and basketball. As weather like today gets to be more the norm and not the outlier it is going to be very very difficult to keep people apart.

Reaction Score
From Brown's president...

College Campuses Must Reopen in the Fall. Here’s How We Do It.
Reopening public schools and colleges in the fall is one of the most difficult decisions that will have to be made - the educational toll on students across the board is enormous. Virtual learning is a Band-Aid solution and not sustainable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From Brown's president...

College Campuses Must Reopen in the Fall. Here’s How We Do It.

Unfortunately I think this is still not a great sell in terms of delivering what kids and parents value most about the college experience. If this is the best case scenario, and it's going to cost the school a lot more to deliver it, I think it's still going to kill a lot of schools because I think enrollment is going to drop precipitously. If they have to offer substantial discounts to keep enrollment up, that's not going to be sustainable for a lot of schools.
Traditional aspects of collegiate life — athletic competitions, concerts and yes, parties — may occur, but in much different fashions. Imagine athletics events taking place in empty stadiums, recital halls with patrons spaced rows apart and virtual social activities replacing parties.

But students will still benefit from all that makes in-person education so valuable: the fierce intellectual debates that just aren’t the same on Zoom, the research opportunities in university laboratories and libraries and the personal interactions among students with different perspectives and life experiences.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What about our next generation of doctors, nurses, and teachers who can’t get the clinical experiences they need through distance learning? The answer can’t be “I just don’t see it.” Come up with an image of it and figure it out!!!’nn

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What about our next generation of doctors, nurses, and teachers who can’t get the clinical experiences they need through distance learning? The answer can’t be “I just don’t see it.” Come up with an image of it and figure it out!!!’nn
Doctors and nurses will still do learning from the field.

Teachers will as well. Right now, the field is virtual.

I'm really sorry that this is challenging, and that it's easy to say "figure it out," but unless we adjust to accept the new normal, we're going to continue to be behind.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think this is still not a great sell in terms of delivering what kids and parents value most about the college experience. If this is the best case scenario, and it's going to cost the school a lot more to deliver it, I think it's still going to kill a lot of schools because I think enrollment is going to drop precipitously. If they have to offer substantial discounts to keep enrollment up, that's not going to be sustainable for a lot of schools.
What's the alternative though? Not getting a degree? Postponing getting a degree for a year or two and postponing making money for another year or two?

Our young people already have it bad enough before this, it seems we're just burdening their futures so much more. And having the different generations under the same roof for another year doesn't seem like a good health strategy.

Reaction Score

I'm really sorry that this is challenging, and that it's easy to say "figure it out," but unless we adjust to accept the new normal, we're going to continue to be behind.
This is leaving inner city kids (mostly black and brown) so much further behind than they already were.

Reaction Score
Reopening public schools and colleges in the fall is one of the most difficult decisions that will have to be made - the educational toll on students across the board is enormous. Virtual learning is a Band-Aid solution and not sustainable.

I for one am not thrilled at the prospect of paying the already ridiculous cost of my student's college for what amounts to correspondence courses. There is a large increase in discussions of taking a gap year both for existing students and incoming freshmen. Missing out on labs isn't awesome when studying engineering.

At least two problems with this: there is a potential logjam after the gap year and what constructive things can they do during this time? International travel, internships and volunteer work all seem to be off the table.

Reaction Score
I for one am not thrilled at the prospect of paying the already ridiculous cost of my student's college for what amounts to correspondence courses. There is a large increase in discussions of taking a gap year both for existing students and incoming freshmen. Missing out on labs isn't awesome when studying engineering.

At least two problems with this: there is a potential logjam after the gap year and what constructive things can they do during this time? International travel, internships and volunteer work all seem to be off the table.
I can't imagine any parent paying University tuition for correspondence courses and as you say it creates an enormous logjam for the future.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

So a year from now you want teachers who have never been in front of a group of kids to try and teach a class of kids who haven’t had socialization in over a year. Kids are already shutting down with pointless online learning.
I’m in a principal prep program and I got about half of one year of internship in a 2 year program. How do I justify hiring me after a year of zoom classes and no boots on the ground experience?
There are absolutely ways to open schools with reasonable measures this fall. It involves distancing, testing, and hygiene. Online learning will probably be a part of it but it can’t be everything.

I understand the health and safety if it but there are ways to be responsible. I wonder how hard people who “can’t see it” are looking.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are absolutely ways to open schools with reasonable measures this fall. It involves distancing, testing, and hygiene.

I understand the health and safety if it but there are ways to be responsible. I wonder how hard people who “can’t see it” are looking.

How much do you trust the powers that be to implement this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom