UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 30 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
As far as I know they can't just pull a scholarship but they can tell you that you won't be getting any playing time. If you stay on you have to keep performing at practice or else you get the boot. When faced with that players transfer.

Each year I'd say probably 5-6 players leave before the portal era. It's that portal makes those numbers appear even more outsized
Scholarships renew on a yearly basis and the coach can certainly not renew a kids scholarship.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
listen you can't blame the young man. He is being recruited by a number of programs and in all honesty UConn can't keep up with them when it comes to conference programs

Reaction Score
Joly P3 rep talk. If only we had rivalry games with either Buffalo, Western Kentucky or Temple. Sigh! It would have made all the difference. Too bad he felt it necessary to trash the only FBS program that offered after high school, made him a focus of its offense and helped to develop him to the point where he has become attractive to P3 programs with bigger bank rolls. Just say thanks and move on.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
After making negative comments about the program that just helped you get the spotlight, he can stay away imo. He's never going to come back anyway but I wouldn't want him even he magically forgot everything he said. Yes they had truth in them but it's a bad look when UConn and Mora have done nothing to wrong him.
I'm with you 100%!!!

Somehow, my original post was deleted, so I'll temper my words a bit. This school gave him opportunities to grow and thrive. He wouldn't have gotten interest from Tennessee were it not for the type of schedule UConn has! His ironic statement is a major diss to UConn. He's old enough to know better and should have tried to verbally support UConn the way it supported him.

Reaction Score
Could we stop acting like five year olds. Joly didn’t “trash” us. He said publicly a bunch of things that we say on the Boneyard on a weekly basis, and in large part that we’ve heard our head coach say publicly. You want to wish he didn’t say anything, fine, but there is a huge difference between publicly stating negatives that everyone knows and trashing your former employer.

Reaction Score
Could we stop acting like five year olds. Joly didn’t “trash” us. He said publicly a bunch of things that we say on the Boneyard on a weekly basis, and in large part that we’ve heard our head coach say publicly. You want to wish he didn’t say anything, fine, but there is a huge difference between publicly stating negatives that everyone knows and trashing your former employer.
They’re not employees Wink wink

Reaction Score
Thank you

Reaction Score

Exactly. Stop being so sensitive. If it stings then you know he is right.

He’s not coming back too. So you don’t need to worry about turning him away.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Exactly. Remember when a lot of transfers used to mean something wrong with coach, culture, or lost locker room. Nope. You have to assume everyone is gonna leave every year.
Maybe the system needs to be reversed. All players are placed in the portal when they sign and then we have a withdrawal deadline, renewed annually. Somewhat kidding. There are ways to fix this and sort of return to the idea that college football is still amateur and schools have actual programs instead of just handing out uniforms with the school name on it to whomever shows up from one year to the next. Get rid of the one free transfer except when the coach who recruited a player is gone for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
I also think however though that by winning, even against lower tier teams, attendance across the board may increase. Also the games with the higher attendance were earlier in the year when expectations were higher, playing NC State when you’re 1-8 will have far less butts in the seats. I’ve had season tickets since Rentschler opened and won’t be giving them up anytime soon
Us Uconn diehards will always be there, but I think the myth that fickle CT fans will show out for Uconn FB games vs just any opponent, for a W, doesn't carry water. Most Uconn fans are CT sports fans in general, not Uconn Alum and a "major part" of those in attendance, At least in what I've seen in the 30 years plus as a season tix holder/ donor/ attending tailgates and hosting lots of friends. Not to mention the Uconn students no shows after the NC St and Duke games. ( Charlton it's the offense !)

So agree to disagree on lower level W's but only time will tell. CT sports fans have always shown that they will support what they view as big time. Just ask the Wolfpack and the 4,000 per game mourge like att @ the XL....and if winning in the AHL is a formula to increase attendance or if it'll ever prove that CT is any closer to getting back into the NHL. ( despite Bettman).

Keep relegating down and you just guarantee you'll never see big time again, IMHO...So winning as is an Indy (vs the P-5's) and a promotion up should be the only plan. Anything else just shows that the AD gave up to the Uconn FB haters in CFB, as a team that used to be a BCS member and they've finally put us just where they want us. PS sorry to moderators as this goes way OT...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He's got an opportunity to collect some NIL money and a better shot to maybe play his way into the NFL. Good for him and thanks for the two seasons he gave us. I'm not going to act hurt because some interviewer wrung a mildly negative comment out of him...

Reaction Score
Eh...I think he is just saying they don't have fixed conference opponents every year.
Yeah, and that is weak. Just come out and say he did not like the no conference schedule and leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Get rid of the one free transfer except when the coach who recruited a player is gone for whatever reason.

I might take the ire of the 'yard for this, but I agree. You could even limit it to certain sports. You can transfer whenever you want, but you'll be a student only--not an athlete.

I think this would get a lot of the transfer drama under control. Is a P4 donor willing to pay a kid 300k to sit on the bench for a year?

Reaction Score
Considering the NCAA just got a class action lawsuit against them for not allowing unlimited transfers, I don't see how they reinstate sitting out transfers

Reaction Score
I might take the ire of the 'yard for this, but I agree. You could even limit it to certain sports. You can transfer whenever you want, but you'll be a student only--not an athlete.

I think this would get a lot of the transfer drama under control. Is a P4 donor willing to pay a kid 300k to sit on the bench for a year?
Transfers are highly regulated in the pros, so the idea that the NCAA cannot do the same is false.

Reaction Score
The pro game has an antitrust exception, the NCAA doesn't. The pro game has contract and revenue share, the NCAA doesn't.
The contract and revenue share is coming, like it or not. A bill was just introduced today to allow athlete unionization. And the pro exemption is anti-trust related.

On that topic a quick Google search yields:
The NFL has an antitrust exemption that allows it to sell TV rights for the entire league as a single entity12. This exemption was granted by Congress in 1961 through the Sports Broadcasting Act, which also covered other professional sports leagues34. However, the exemption does not apply to other branded items like jerseys and caps, and the Supreme Court ruled in 2010 that the NFL must be considered 32 separate teams when selling such products5.

Reaction Score

I am all for athletes unionizing. I think it would be better for everyone involved. I'm not a lawyer... but if they're unionized, you've gotta think that opens the door to more regulation. And IMO more security for those in olympic/d2/d3 sports.

Reaction Score
Transfers are highly regulated in the pros, so the idea that the NCAA cannot do the same is false.
Not necessarily. NFL athletes are unionized. Unions can bargain away all sorts of rights, including the right to be protected by antitrust laws, on behalf of their members.

Reaction Score
He basically reiterated what Mora said. The Big12 snub was a nutkick.
It hurt more this time just because UConn was almost guaranteed to get in until the Big 10 came and took Washington and Oregon leaving Arizona, ASU and Utah prime for picking by the Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom