UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 26 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Can we just rip the band-aid off? These dribs and drabs are killing me...lol.

Reaction Score
Can’t stand Mora gushing over guys taking a hike. It’s so pathetic and transparent. Get some backbone and fight for your program. Let them slip into the night and talk up the next guy.
I bet you more than half the guys entering the portal were "advised" to do so. Also, when you go 3-9, the last thing you can do is burn bridges, who's to say that the relationship won't bear fruits down the line?

Reaction Score
I bet you more than half the guys entering the portal were "advised" to do so. Also, when you go 3-9, the last thing you can do is burn bridges, who's to say that the relationship won't bear fruits down the line?
Just saying let’s avoid effusive praise and just let it go.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Can’t stand Mora gushing over guys taking a hike. It’s so pathetic and transparent. Get some backbone and fight for your program. Let them slip into the night and talk up the next guy.
I hear ya mate, truly, but what is the alternative, go scorched earth and call the defectees disloyal bums? He's taking the high road. I don't like it either, and every time I see @huskymedic post another tweet, I'm expecting another would be contributor to fly away. I wonder if the lack of talk up for the next guy is cuz there's no next good guy to welcome. Well, this off-season will be either a slow bleed out or a cauterization and rehabilitation.

Reaction Score
Just saying let’s avoid effusive praise and just let it go.
That's just dumb. Recruiting is networking. These players go elsewhere and speak Mora's praises and make new connections, someone asks them about UConn and they speak well that's good for the program.

Stop crying and pretending that this isn't a job for them. Times have changed, just like the everyday work force. Just because you're job hopping and the last place filled your seat before it was cold, doesn't mean your boss wasn't good to you and it certainly doesn't mean you didn't benefit from.your time there.

It is beneficial for Mora to get the kids that he asked to leave into the best programs he can, see talking them up. Then when those potentially lower programs have breakout players, UConn can be a possibility for them.

It's all just networking.

Reaction Score
That's just dumb. Recruiting is networking. These players go elsewhere and speak Mora's praises and make new connections, someone asks them about UConn and they speak well that's good for the program.

Stop crying and pretending that this isn't a job for them. Times have changed, just like the everyday work force. Just because you're job hopping and the last place filled your seat before it was cold, doesn't mean your boss wasn't good to you and it certainly doesn't mean you didn't benefit from.your time there.

It is beneficial for Mora to get the kids that he asked to leave into the best programs he can, see talking them up. Then when those potentially lower programs have breakout players, UConn can be a possibility for them.

This is a very accurate post as to what college football is becoming. The programs that can navigate the new system will have success in the future. I am hopeful that Mora will be able get enough quality football players that will lead to future success of our program. Lets see what happen on the two future signing days.

Reaction Score
This is a very accurate post as to what college football is becoming. The programs that can navigate the new system will have success in the future. I am hopeful that Mora will be able get enough quality football players that will lead to future success of our program. Lets see what happen on the two future signing days.
Let's all just be thankful we dont have Pasqualoni/Diaco/Edsall trying to navigate this crazy new world. I just think Mora is wwwwaaaaayyyyy more flexible and adaptable to this ever-changing environment. While it might be a bit painful, i truly believe he will get us there.

Reaction Score
Let's all just be thankful we dont have Pasqualoni/Diaco/Edsall trying to navigate this crazy new world. I just think Mora is wwwwaaaaayyyyy more flexible and adaptable to this ever-changing environment. While it might be a bit painful, i truly believe he will get us there.
“Every kid in the portal has a problem” one of the most idiotic things ever said by a coach in our history, which says a lot.

Reaction Score
Up to 1,127 players in the portal. Wow. 20.5% of players.

(and guess what? there aren't enough roster spots in the P4 for all of them)
Yup. I think the best football schools are still targeting high school players and use the portal for a few spots where there is a need. Then they use the outbound portal to help manage the roster. Sustained LT success will come from recruiting and developing high school athletes and not the portal, except for QBs. Number of athletes the 4 teams in the CFP took from the portal and from high school last year:

Alabama. 5 portal, 28 HS. (Lost 21 to portal)
Texas. 5 portal, 25 HS. (Lost 20 to portal)
Michigan 9 portal, 25 HS. (Lost 14 to portal)
Washington 10 portal, 21 HS (Lost 21 to portal)

Reaction Score

Lol. What bull. 3-9 schools with a 13 year history of losing ain’t high on the list and being super nice isn’t going to fix it.

As for the “job” comment, it isn’t. It’s a game played by kids for a school in a country club environment. They eat better than the average student, have better accommodations, have more educational assistance and more perks. So, it’s nothing like a job. It’s fancy gym class.

I marvel at the reflexive need to defend coaches that can’t win games and keep players.

Reaction Score
20 transfers seems pretty high. Anyone know how that stacks up against other schools?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Not true. You can announce your transfer before Monday but you are not formally in the portal until Monday. Guys like Joly, Bin-Wahad, Turner, Shor,... are not grad transfers.
Actually, completely true...a little quick to fault, maybe read twice before posting someone is wrong.

Reaction Score
I marvel at the reflexive need to defend coaches that can’t win games and keep players.
Or the coaching staff nudged some of the guys out the door and made a promise to help them find a landing spot. This a.) helps do that and b.) creates a supportive image from a head coach that is trying to attract talent from elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Lol. What bull. 3-9 schools with a 13 year history of losing ain’t high on the list and being super nice isn’t going to fix it.

As for the “job” comment, it isn’t. It’s a game played by kids for a school in a country club environment. They eat better than the average student, have better accommodations, have more educational assistance and more perks. So, it’s nothing like a job. It’s fancy gym class.

Just like a real job, when things aren't going the company's way, people get asked to leave. Then they go on LinkedIn and announce to recruiters that they are available for work.

Imagine thinking everyone entering the portal is doing so because they are choosing to on their own. I don't understand why people can't get past this point. They want to play and their current team is telling them that there won't be a scholarship for them next year. So if they want to continue their education and playing career they need to look for a new opportunity.

Reaction Score
Actually, completely true...a little quick to fault, maybe read twice before posting someone is wrong.
I'm sorry you were offended.

This is what was posted:

"Just an FYI for everyone. The portal actually opens tomorrow. Up until now, it is only grad transfers or teams with coaching changes."

I pointed out that underclassmen could declare they are going into the portal at anytime and didn't have to wait until Monday. Heck we had Houston and Brewton announce they were going into the portal before the halfway point in the season.

Reaction Score

So what you want is to judge a coach negatively for statements, and then criticize those who judge him positively for statements by saying he doesn’t win enough games? Logic much?

Really doesn’t matter what he says, but there are few times in life when speaking negatively about anything gets you more in the long term than avoiding doing so. But if you simply want to point out that being nice to anyone is meaningless if it doesn’t translate to wins, I would be with you.

Reaction Score
From what I’m hearing it is because of NIL and also scholarships. We were not a bad team last year, we were a lot better on paper, NIL is gonna affect a program like UConn if we do not have the $$ to compete with top tier G5 programs and mid level tier p5 schools in football. Hence we are offering kids out the bag like crazy. NIL is great, but we don’t have the NIL money to give each oline kid 50k like Texas did in 2021. So we just hope some of these kids in the portal just come here and be happy with the 20-30k we offer them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom