UConn offered center Kameron Rooks today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn offered center Kameron Rooks today

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I'd forgotten all about Tolksdorf. Given how weak we are at the 4, it's not a good sign that he can't get minutes.
Leon is a strong kid and has a natural perimeter stroke. From the minutes he saw earlier this year, he is just out of his element, i.e. not sure what to do on the offensive or defensive end. Comfort with his game and knowing what to do and when to do it will come with time. I think he will put on 10-15 lbs of muscle and be a solid contributor next year

Reaction Score
Wow, the kids is a plodder. He didn't look like he was all that motivated to play hard and moved glacially slow. Maybe he can shed some weight but even if he gets a tad quicker, he's still likely going to foul out within 10 minutes of PT at the next level.

Now I've seen some really slow guys work hard and become solid players by the time they leave college. But he just doesn't look like a Husky type big. I'd rather get a thin more mobile kid who has the body type to pack on some muscle over time, than to add this kid. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and the kid can develope into a high major talent. Just looks like he has a ways to go, if in fact he'll ever get there.

Reaction Score
Maybe Kameron will develop like Ryan Gomes (but at the center position)? It's possible. But next year we will have with Facey, Nolan, Wolf, Olander, Tolksdorf, and Daniel at the 4 and 5. Send them all to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Maybe Kameron will develop like Ryan Gomes (but at the center position)? It's possible. But next year we will have with Facey, Nolan, Wolf, Olander, Tolksdorf, and Daniel at the 4 and 5. Send them all to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp.

Better yet Olajuwon's Camp for Discombobulated Big-Men.

Reaction Score
Can this kid even dunk? First time I didn't see a player dunk in his highlight reel! I think Oriaki has better ups then this kid!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can this kid even dunk? First time I didn't see a player dunk in his highlight reel! I think Oriaki has better ups then this kid!
Ugh!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Weren't all those highlights from one game? If so, let's not go crazy over what we didn't see (e.g., dunks). He's clearly not an explosive athlete, but he seems to have natural shot-blocking skills and touch around the hoop. And you can't teach size.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
After taking a day or two off, I re-visited his video and came to a conclusion.

This kid flat out sucks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This kid flat out sucks.

I come to a similar conclusion every time you post.

He's out of shape and you're not terribly smart.

He can work out, but you, well, you're just going to have to make do.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

This kid flat out sucks.

So here's what it comes down to, CTBasketball: Do I care more about your evaluation of prospective talent, or more about the evaluation from Ollie, Hobbs, Miller, and Blaney?

Answer: It's not looking good for you, my friend...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is absurd. You never know what a kid will evolve into in two or three years. A couple months in UConn's conditioning program and he'll be fine. I'd rather have an out of shape kid who knows how to play the game than a physical freak who can't get a friggen rebound.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I come to a similar conclusion every time you post.

He's out of shape and you're not terribly smart.

He can work out, but you, well, you're just going to have to make do.
I remember an interview with Burt Reynolds I saw probably 20+ years ago where he was talking about being in the same acting class with Clint Eastwood. Apparently the teacher dismissed both of them, telling Reynolds he had no talent and telling Clint that he would never make it because his Adam's Apple was too big. Burt laughed and said he felt better than Clint because at least he could develop some talent, whereas Clint couldn't do anything about his Adam's Apple.

Reaction Score
Like the old Churchill quote:

"Sir, you're drunk."

"Ma'am, I'll be sober in the morning, and you'll still be ugly."

I watched Darryl "Mookie" Watkins (who we wanted) stink up an entire AAU Tournament and thought there would never be any way he could play in the Big East. I mean zero points against teams with centers six inches shorter, who were probably DII bound.

He turned to be a valuable piece of some pretty good Syracuse teams.

That tournament was also where I posted Sammy Mejia would be a really good college player. Fishy then scored a knockout blow in the Mejia v Millsap recruiting fight, which I never knew I was fighting until I was on the canvas. Fishy is sneaky that way - the reason he wants to put 80,000 folding chairs on seven acres of land is so he has plenty handy to hit people over the head with when they turn their backs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This is absurd. You never know what a kid will evolve into in two or three years. A couple months in UConn's conditioning program and he'll be fine. I'd rather have an out of shape kid who knows how to play the game than a physical freak who can't get a friggen rebound.

Agreed. Bring him in....reshirt him and see what happens in 2-3 years. Low risk with a potentially high reward.

Reaction Score
Okay it's obvious he looks a little slow and not slick with the feet.....he's a 16-17 year old kid growing into his huge body so give it time. He knows where the basket is, he's a growing monster, still has time to lose baby fat and would be worth a look for sure..........as someone else said this is the same reason U of A is offering and heck, they saw more than the one game we just saw on tape.......

Amazing how we can jump to conclusions..........lightning in a bottle? worth the chance

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Okay it's obvious he looks a little slow and not slick with the feet.....he's a 16-17 year old kid growing into his huge body so give it time. He knows where the basket is, he's a growing monster, still has time to lose baby fat and would be worth a look for sure..........as someone else said this is the same reason U of A is offering and heck, they saw more than the one game we just saw on tape.......

Amazing how we can jump to conclusions..........lightning in a bottle? worth the chance
His father is well known. Does the father have character issues like a recent ex UConn player who shall not be named? If not take the chance. The kid will probably take instruction and criticism well. If the father is like the dad of the other guy no way I want him. My parameters are simple.

My guess is that the UConn staff are very familiar with Kameron's dad and that is good enough for me!

Reaction Score
Comes from a good gene pool and that's always a good start....but those gene's also went to Arizona so they may have an edge of course!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Comes from a good gene pool and that's always a good start....but those gene's also went to Arizona so they may have an edge of course!!
From reading another thread, the biggest factor for a kids decision is the condition of the cheerleaders.

Reaction Score
From reading another thread, the biggest factor for a kids decision is the condition of the cheerleaders.

If he wants to be in better shape and faster he better head east!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Here is video of him from Friday night:

I like an honest video of players and not a highlight video that eliminates all the bad plays. A lot of wtf responses by people about a UConn freshman has a lot to do with people seeing a tape of someone doing everything right and then coming to UConn making mistakes.

With that said, this kid is a cross between EW and TO at this stage. There were times he took entry passes and secured them and there were times he looked like AO. He certainly looked slow footed in the tape but he didn't look gassed. The biggest problem is determining if his reflexes can be improved. If the kid is still getting used to his growth spurt then it is possible. If he has plateaued in development then what you see is what you get.

The thing is we have seen knowns which didn't pan out and unknowns that have exceeded all our expectations. No one expected HA would be NBA material based on his hs performance. And DB never hit 110 points at UConn.:)

Reaction Score
I understand the potential may be there at 7 feet tall, but that guy looks completely lost against inferior opponents. He can't elevate or catch, and throws up "wtf" type shots. I wouldn't mind him as a last resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom