UConn offered center Kameron Rooks today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn offered center Kameron Rooks today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our scene opens with young Kameron Rook getting off the phone with Kevin Ollie.

Kameron - (excited) Mom! Dad! UConn just offered me a scholarship!

Kameron - I wonder if those crazy UConn fans have themselves a message board? (Googling, Googling.)

Kameron - Why, they do! And there's a thread about me!

As Kameron reads the analysis prepared by a half-dozen overweight, undersmart insurance salesmen, his enthusiasm transforms into abject hatred. A cutaway shows Kevin Ollie reading the same thread and screaming, "What the duck* is wrong with those people?!"

Our scene ends with Kameron shopping Amazon.com for a UMass hoodie.

Cut. Credits.

Fishy excellent post. Does anyone remember Roy Hibbert--well this is what he looked like before he went to G town. The first thing you learn about basketball is you cant teach size yet there are many professional basketball scouts on this board who never heard that so obvious truth! Hes big with soft hands and a nice touch. Many teams would be willing to work with his clay. Clearly we need more 5-11 guards to clog up the paint !

Reaction Score
Seems to me if you have some scholarships to give and there's a 7 footer available, you take a shot. Maybe he gives you a few minutes off the bench, maybe he develops into something more. But you can't teach someone to be 7 feet.

Reaction Score

Kameron - I wonder if those crazy UConn fans have themselves a message board? (Googling, Googling.)

As Kameron reads the analysis prepared by a half-dozen overweight, undersmart insurance salesmen, his enthusiasm transforms into abject hatred. A cutaway shows Kevin Ollie reading the same thread and screaming, "What the duck* is wrong with those people?!"

Cut. Credits.
PERFECT!!!!
Half the people on this board would have a heart-attack, pop their achilles, or pull a hammy if they got off the couch or tried to get up the stairs from their parent's basement.

Yet somehow these same people feel compelled to point out a recruits deficiencies based on 2 rather short clips.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Cut. Credits.
I don't want any recruit who is dumb enough to come to this forum. This is an insane asylum that allows its residents the opportunity to flex their fingers.

Reaction Score
I keep reading about how fat and out of shape all the posters on this board are. We are clearly a strange bunch but I didn't realize we were all fat slobs as well.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Just from some Googling; kid has grown 3-4 inches fairly recently to reach 7 feet. He also had some kind of leg injury which could have played a factor in his conditioning. That said, he needs to get on the Wolf diet immediately.
EW had an injury his senior year of hs that caused a weight gain and caused him to be out of shape his freshman year at UConn. Conditioning certainly does not appear to be a problem for EW currently. I'm sure the staff scouted the kid out and did not think conditioning would be a problem. That would be something that would turn off KO immediately.

Reaction Score
As someone who has seen K. Rooks play several times over the past 4 years or so (since his days with the RC Bulls club team in 7-8th grade, then to Coastal Elite and then Gamepoint). What you see is what you get. The dude is big & he can score, crafty. He has had foot problems though...always a worry with big men. He has several legit High D1 offers.

here is a link:
He prefers the half court game
http://www.areacodesbasketball.com/2012/10/17/kameron-rooks-1-on-1-by-area-codes-basketball/

Reaction Score
Too bad "that 7'5 kid" has already signed with another school.
At least the teams playing us won't have to buy broomsticks to simulate the shotblocker in the middle. Not sure how good it is for the boomstick makers, however ....

Reaction Score
Too bad "that 7'5 kid" has already signed with another school.
I have only seen Mamadou (the 7'5" kid) play once (actually only one-half) in High School where he dominated a team who's tallest player was probably 6'3". He played for a very very small private school in one of the lowest divisions of SoCal HS basketball. He signed with UC Irvine. UC Irvine is not a hoops powerhouse. He signed there for a reason. Allegedly, there were many questions about his actual age.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I have only seen Mamadou (the 7'5" kid) play once (actually only one-half) in High School where he dominated a team who's tallest player was probably 6'3". He played for a very very small private school in one of the lowest divisions of SoCal HS basketball. He signed with UC Irvine. UC Irvine is not a hoops powerhouse. He signed there for a reason. Allegedly, there were many questions about his actual age.
What are your impressions of Rook vs. Mamadou? Who brings more to the table and who, if any, hypothetically would help UConn more given UConn's needs?

Reaction Score
We should not be bad talking a 7 foot prospect with a decent set of skills. We need kids like this period.

Reaction Score
What are your impressions of Rook vs. Mamadou? Who brings more to the table and who, if any, hypothetically would help UConn more given UConn's needs?
Hmmm. Honestly, as of last year, I didn't think either of the two were high major D1 prospects. But I probably tend to undervalue big men and their skill sets. Although Rooks is a "plodder", his size and girth are unteachable ("space eater"). I don't think his style would really fit (unless he works very very hard at conditioning). Mamadou is an ever so slightly better athlete, taller (obviously), doesn't need to jump to dunk, but I haven't seen him play against real competition. I think he played for one of the pump-n-run teams this summer, which would be much better comp than his HS league or division, but I didn't see any of those games. I really don't think either fit the mold of a mobile UConn F/C. Rooks would be great at setting screens...if he could move like Jake Voskuhl, he'd be the guy. Mamdou would definitely block some shots, but I don't see him even becoming Hasheem Thabeet. There really aren't any great post players in SoCal in the 2013 and 2014 classes. I know...I didn't really answer your question, but I kind of cringe thinking of either as our center.
Then again, I don't get paid to evaluate basketball players.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Honestly, as of last year, I didn't think either of the two were high major D1 prospects. But I probably tend to undervalue big men and their skill sets. Although Rooks is a "plodder", his size and girth are unteachable ("space eater"). I don't think his style would really fit (unless he works very very hard at conditioning). Mamadou is an ever so slightly better athlete, taller (obviously), doesn't need to jump to dunk, but I haven't seen him play against real competition. I think he played for one of the pump-n-run teams this summer, which would be much better comp than his HS league or division, but I didn't see any of those games. I really don't think either fit the mold of a mobile UConn F/C. Rooks would be great at setting screens...if he could move like Jake Voskuhl, he'd be the guy. Mamdou would definitely block some shots, but I don't see him even becoming Hasheem Thabeet. There really aren't any great post players in SoCal in the 2013 and 2014 classes. I know...I didn't really answer your question, but I kind of cringe thinking of either as our center.
Then again, I don't get paid to evaluate basketball players.
Evaluation is subjective and has an element of art as much as science. I tend to look at consensus, form an opinion, but keep it flexible recognizing there have been a lot of players lower in ranking out performing higher ranked kids as well as people evaluating things that tend to play out the way the kids are evaluated.

It's great to have first hand reporting and appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinion. From the video and your report you have to wonder what the staff saw that would have them make an offer.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
hes fine as a project but we need help now. thats the issue ppl. we have 2 maybe a 3rd ship left for this class. getting him makes that 1 less and still no impact player for the front court. we need a adrien/boone impact right away garbage points and boards guy.

caw

Reaction Score
hes fine as a project but we need help now. thats the issue ppl. we have 2 maybe a 3rd ship left for this class. getting him makes that 1 less and still no impact player for the front court. we need a adrien/boone impact right away garbage points and boards guy.

Ideally that's Facey or an improved Nolan/Tolksdorf.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So...you're saying that it's Johnnie-time?

tumblr_m87hnxLXZS1rustw8.jpg

Reaction Score
Ideally that's Facey or an improved Nolan/Tolksdorf.

Holy I'd forgotten all about Tolksdorf. Given how weak we are at the 4, it's not a good sign that he can't get minutes.

Reaction Score
For the record, this kid has offers from Arizona, Cal, and Washington. Not to mention his dad was an NBA pro. Don't just assume this kid can't play from a 2 minute youtube video.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I keep reading about how fat and out of shape all the posters on this board are. We are clearly a strange bunch but I didn't realize we were all fat slobs as well.

Have you ever been to America?

Reaction Score
It's also important to remember that many 7-0 kids in high school are still adjusting to their height. Medical conditions can happen as well, which coaches on the recruiting trail will be privy to. I'm not saying it's the case here, but I grew from 5-2 to 6-1 in a span of 12 months and had a condition called Osgood-Schlatters from that growth spurt, which feels like a knife stabbing you below the knee every time you take a step. You look like a lazy oaf when you move around, and forget about jogging or heavy conditioning work - your legs can't take the pounding. Nothing you can really do about it, but get lots of ice bags and wait for it go away.

I can only speak for myself that when it finally went away, it was such a relief to feel like I could let my natural lack of athleticism shine through.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish I had some video of Andrew Bynum as a high school junior to drop on these half-wits.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If only if only Bynum stayed committed and Durant came here too. If only if only.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The video of Rooks is a jr. year video. These kids can really change a ton in a year both physically and with cordination and agility.
good point. If the other linked info is correct, he has grown 4 inches but only gained 15 lbs. since that video. He also states that he is working out every other day with a personal trainer, so he may already be quite a bit more fit.
Growing up as the son of a multi-millionaire former NBA star can lead to a lack of self-motivation and hence the lack of conditioning. But, he did at least show good hands in that video and he has a very good pedigree. Also the other schools that have offered are no slouches. I say trust in Coach Ollie on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom