UConn never had a chance for the ACC.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn never had a chance for the ACC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
First off, it was 2 football games for FSU this year. So, why would only football have to grab more than $5.2m? It would be the basketball, the 2 football, not to mention the baseball, that would have to beat that $5m figure. and I'm not catching you on production costs. SNY picks up production costs for UConn, so... why is that relevant?

That extra game was the WVU game which was canceled in February due to the realignment and 9-game Big 12 Schedule. WVU paid $500,000 to exit the schedule and was replaced in 2013.

The ongoing problem with the FSU Tier III rights is that no one at FSU put a value on them before the contract and no one came up with a quote after the fact that they could be marketed for more and no one came up with a competing bid or any real numbers.

It's merely disgruntled fans saying that RayCom should not be able to put up 32.25% for Tier III Rights and they have a better plan without addressing the real problem: Tier I and Tier II football Rights..

The breakdown of the estimated $18.4 million per team (after Notre Dame or $1.3 mil accretive per team) is Tier I and II basketball (20%) or $3.68 million per team. RayCom 32.25% for Tier III ($5.93 mil) and Tier I and II Football the remainder or $8.78 mil per team.

Sure some think an ACC Network is the same value as the BiG and RayCom arent the ones to do that. They chose not to leverage the NYC market with SU and UConn. It's out of territory for them whereas Cincy and Louisville are RayCom territory.

Reaction Score
That extra game was the WVU game which was canceled in February due to the realignment and 9-game Big 12 Schedule. WVU paid $500,000 to exit the schedule and was replaced in 2013.

The ongoing problem with the FSU Tier III rights is that no one at FSU put a value on them before the contract and no one came up with a quote after the fact that they could be marketed for more and no one came up with a competing bid or any real numbers.

It's merely disgruntled fans saying that RayCom should not be able to put up 32.25% for Tier III Rights and they have a better plan without addressing the real problem: Tier I and Tier II football Rights..

The breakdown of the estimated $18.4 million per team (after Notre Dame or $1.3 mil accretive per team) is Tier I and II basketball (20%) or $3.68 million per team. RayCom 32.25% for Tier III ($5.93 mil) and Tier I and II Football the remainder or $8.78 mil per team.

Sure some think an ACC Network is the same value as the BiG and RayCom arent the ones to do that. They chose not to leverage the NYC market with SU and UConn. It's out of territory for them whereas Cincy and Louisville are RayCom territory.

Reaction Score
Allow me to play a minor Junior Chamber of Commerce hype on Louisville football. You knew I'd show up some time, but I have mention right up front I haven't bought into the football rivalry, fair catch and all. I have enjoyed seeing UConn become very good at football but I have also seen your recent mini swoon - which did not affect the choice of Louisville to the ACC, IMO.

Since 2004, Louisville has finished the season in the Top Ten in the country twice - at #6 both times - and the Top 20 another time. For a 4 year stretch no college in America outside of USC sent more players to the NFL. Yeah, we got Kragthorped bad for 3 years - not 4. Most conferences and aware colleges see a return under String to this level of performance as imminent - we do too. We are heavily freshmen and sophomore-laden as Charlie's recruiting has taken off. We'll bring a Heisman candidate and a ranked team to whatever conference we go to.

This is a far better history than you depict. In fact, it's arguably better than any ACC program over that same time frame. Bear in mind the 23 other sports Louisville has won conference titles in, including 10 conference titles last year.

Reaction Score
I don't buy it. Sorry.
Better than UConn? Yes. Everyone here has agreed (even though UConn held its own against Louisville head-to-head over the years).

2 top 10 rankings? That's good. I think that's what puts you over the top. But... Coming from the BE? Not so sure. Even the sched. this year is highly questionable, as are your losses. I mean, Boston College and Kansas also finished in the top 10.

Reaction Score
I don't buy it. Sorry.
Better than UConn? Yes. Everyone here has agreed (even though UConn held its own against Louisville head-to-head over the years).

2 top 10 rankings? That's good. I think that's what puts you over the top. But... Coming from the BE? Not so sure. Even the sched. this year is highly questionable, as are your losses. I mean, Boston College and Kansas also finished in the top 10.

Did they put all those pros into the league? We finished 6th in the country out of Conference USA, actually, in 2004. Then out of the Big East when Rutgers, WVU and we were all top 25 teams.

The schedule this year is scandalously crappy. Worst ever. But it's bad because WVU jumped the shark and Georgia bought out the game we had scheduled. This year is found money for Louisville - we figured next year and then the next ones would be our Charlie Strong Biggun's.

Reaction Score
Did they put all those pros into the league? We finished 6th in the country out of Conference USA, actually, in 2004. Then out of the Big East when Rutgers, WVU and we were all top 25 teams.

The schedule this year is scandalously crappy. Worst ever. But it's bad because WVU jumped the shark and Georgia bought out the game we had scheduled. This year is found money for Louisville - we figured next year and then the next ones would be our Charlie Strong Biggun's.

BC has lots of pros too. Heck, I think UConn has put 20 in the pros in the same time period. Currently has 15. Some whom went by the wayside in the interim, like Deon Anderson, were actually starters. As I said, UL is better than UConn, but I don't think it's a formidable football school.

Reaction Score
This cracks me up that a Johnny Come Lately member of the ACC is running things. How do they let that happen ? FSU is dictating things ?! Frankly, UNC, Duke, Wake, etc. should have admitted all the new schools but gave themselves 2 votes to everyone else's 1 vote.

The idea that Louisville is in any way superior to UConn is laughable. The only possible advantage they have is that there isn't a single other goddam thing worth doing in the state of Kentucky besides watching college sports. Sadly, that advantage doesn't go very far in the real world.

What should have made the difference is not the current status of Louisville vs. UConn football (nevermind that UConn keeps beating the "superior program" head to head), it should always be the POTENTIAL for UConn football. How the hell do you look at the success mens and women's basketball have had - coming from effectively nothing to national powerhouses - and not realize the immense potential there ?

I wonder if we should still be as hot to join a conference dumb enough to think adding Louisville was the smarter move, or that is steeped in basketball history and yet allows a non-charter member added for football to dictate things.

I like the idea of seeing UConn matched up with SU and Pitt again, and also UNC and Duke in hoops every year, but maybe another major conference would be a better fit in the long run.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So essentially, UL got lucky and avoided two losses they would have had without the schedule change.

ESPN lists all the NFL players by school. UConn has 13. Louisville has 18. Not anywhere near the top of the list (just look at LSU right next to it) http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/l I'd argue that given our disadvantage in not even playing FBS football for the entire period, our 13 might be more impressive.

Reaction Score
So essentially, UL got lucky and avoided two losses they would have had without the schedule change.

ESPN lists all the NFL players by school. UConn has 13. Louisville has 18. Not anywhere near the top of the list (just look at LSU right next to it) http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/l I'd argue that given our disadvantage in not even playing FBS football for the entire period, our 13 might be more impressive.

We have 15 now that Greg Lloyd and .......... (sorry, forgot his name, just signed a couple weeks ago) made rosters.

Reaction Score
With Ort looking strong, UConn also has a major leaguer who may very well do good things, too. I frankly expect Springer to also do great things, but then, I'm a baseball-first guy, so I would, lol.

I'm not dissing UConn football - I hope you realize this. My statement about NFL players dealt with a time period, 2004-2008, when only one school sent more pros to the league. Someone had alluded that we had "no history". That was a reply to that bizarre conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom