UConn never had a chance for the ACC.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn never had a chance for the ACC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Louisville was a better fit and I'd say that the article was pretty accurate. Louisville has a better football program than we do and by program I mean coaching, performance, fan base and regional recruiting base. It doesn't mean that we were a bad fit it was just that Louisville made more sense as long as it was a football decision.
We'll end up in the ACC eventually only because they will have to add teams as others leave and other teams will leave. This isn't over. Frankly I don't care if we ever go to the ACC. They really aren't much of a football conference.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with upstater. If you look at Ville they are not a football powerhouse. UConn held their own against them the last decade. Beat them this year. upstater has show on the conference realignment forum that the athletic $$$ numbers for ville are enron maneuvered. Others have shown attendance also manufactured.

Because football is the engine getting most of the media revenue, FSU and Clemson consider their value to the conference much greater to the AC than tobacco road. This is no different than what many people consider regarding the relative value that UConn has to SH or any of the bb be schools not named Georgetown. But up until this point tobacco road has been the decision maker for the conference.

In the previous move by the ACC it could be stated with some certainty that FSU wanted WV. Tobacco road won that round and convinced the conference to take Pitt and Cuse instead. They wanted to maintain academic standards. What changed this round was that Maryland left. Why did a founding member of the ACC leave? Maybe it was politics. Maybe it was economics. Most likely a bit of both.

The ACC has a much poorer media contract than the other four power conferences. Although the BE would only wish to have that contract, the fear within the ACC is that Maryland is just the beginning of the ACC exodus. So all this comes down to money and conference stability. IMO FSU wants to stay within the ACC, but recognizes that the ACC can go down the path of the BE unless the contract with ESPN is renegotiated.

The ACC invited ND hoping the invite would eventually result in ND joining the conference in football down the road. The BE tried the same gambit and that didn't work for them. So taking Ville over UConn was purely a demonstration by FSU that they control the conference and will control policy. There is a lot of stuff that went down with the ACC contract that, although speculative in nature, was a sweetheart deal for a regional broadcaster, of which Swofford's son is an officer. I'm not sure what the connection with that company is with North Carolina but I wouldn't doubt people in political power within that state have connections to that company. So the deal went down and the biggest loser by far in all this was FSU. ESPN and the regional broadcaster (ask HuskyFanDan for the name of the company and the article about this company) will have to renegotiate the deal or FSU and probably Clemson will go to the B12.

In other words taking Ville over UConn was the first move to let ESPN know that the conference is under FSU's power and the contract, which was orchestrated by tobacco road, will no longer be acceptable. Now the ball is in ESPN's court. If they don't renegotiate, FSU is gone. UConn got hurt because of a bigger issue between FSU and tobacco road and because of the relatively poor ESPN contract. All this bluster by Jurich is opportunistic like AO's dad spouting off.

Good post, but I still say the real poison was in the 3rd tier rights. The ACC retained them for basketball, and gave them away for football. So the BBall schools profit on their bball rights but the football schools don't get to keep their bread for football.

Can you blame FSU?

Reaction Score
Louisville was a better fit and I'd say that the article was pretty accurate. Louisville has a better football program than we do and by program I mean coaching, performance, fan base and regional recruiting base. It doesn't mean that we were a bad fit it was just that Louisville made more sense as long as it was a football decision.
We'll end up in the ACC eventually only because they will have to add teams as others leave and other teams will leave. This isn't over. Frankly I don't care if we ever go to the ACC. They really aren't much of a football conference.

So, these things are decided based on one year?

Coaching has been hideous at Louisville (I happen to think it still is).

Performance? No. They've had bad performances. Look at their record. Regional recruiting base? They get the scraps. I'll give them that they may be marginally better than UConn (obviously not based on head to head record they are not) but that's not saying much. The ACC added another Pitt in football. Louisville is no better than Pitt. For heaven's sake, they were blown out by Syracuse in their best year in a decade!!

Reaction Score
The only thing that you may say is close to accurate about the article is the title. The article goes on to give a bunch of reasons, many of which are debatable, and some, even inaccurate. A better article would be to say "UConn had no chance to get into the ACC, as long as Jurich was busy pitching Louisville 24/7, and WM was on vacation".

My feeling is that it was all about eyeballs and television. We were led to believe that the UConn tv market was much greater than Loiusville's. Jurich convinced the ACC that the shortfall in Louisville would be more than made up for in all other parts of the ACC, where for example, many more fans in Florida would watch a Clemson vs Louisville game than a Clemson vs UConn game. That is my take on it, anyway.

Reaction Score
So, these things are decided based on one year?

Coaching has been hideous at Louisville (I happen to think it still is).

Performance? No. They've had bad performances. Look at their record. Regional recruiting base? They get the scraps. I'll give them that they may be marginally better than UConn (obviously not based on head to head record they are not) but that's not saying much. The ACC added another Pitt in football. Louisville is no better than Pitt. For heaven's sake, they were blown out by Syracuse in their best year in a decade!!
They get better scaps than we do.They are in the South. We were also blown out by Syracuse. The perception at FSU was that Louisville has a better football program otherwise they wouldn't have opposed us and in the end FSU prevailed. Maybe the fact that Uconn plays really ugly football had something to do with it. Uconn hasn't had a passing game since the Dan O. years.

Reaction Score
They get better scaps than we do.They are in the South. We were also blown out by Syracuse. The perception at FSU was that Louisville has a better football program otherwise they wouldn't have opposed us and in the end FSU prevailed. Maybe the fact that Uconn plays really ugly football had something to do with it. Uconn hasn't had a passing game since the Dan O. years.

I know we were blown out by Cuse. We also beat Louisville however. The point is, that in their best season in a decade, Louisville is totally underwhelming. And, no, I don't agree about FSU's reasoning. FSU is at war with UNC. That's their only reasoning. Nothing else matters.

I mean, you say UConn plays ugly football and I didn't say otherwise. What I want to know is what in the world has impressed you about Louisville?

That school is a total joke in football.

Reaction Score
I know we were blown out by Cuse. We also beat Louisville however. The point is, that in their best season in a decade, Louisville is totally underwhelming. And, no, I don't agree about FSU's reasoning. FSU is at war with UNC. That's their only reasoning. Nothing else matters.

I mean, you say UConn plays ugly football and I didn't say otherwise. What I want to know is what in the world has impressed you about Louisville?

That school is a total joke in football.
What does any problem that FSU has with UNC have to do with the ACC taking Louisville over Uconn? I'm not impressed with Louisville and I'm also not impressed with Cuse and Pitt but the ACC also took them over Uconn. The ACC took 6 schools from the BE, the BIG took 1 and none of them were Uconn. Notre Dame also left the BE.
We have a problem at Uconn and it doesn't matter whether the problem (s) are real or perceived.

Reaction Score
What does any problem that FSU has with UNC have to do with the ACC taking Louisville over Uconn? I'm not impressed with Louisville and I'm also not impressed with Cuse and Pitt but the ACC also took them over Uconn. The ACC took 6 schools from the BE, the BIG took 1 and none of them were Uconn. Notre Dame also left the BE.
We have a problem at Uconn and it doesn't matter whether the problem (s) are real or perceived.

It has everything to do with it. FSU forced them to eat a snow sandwich a year after WV was rejected for academics. Why do you think the UNC Prez mad a joke of himself after they admitted Louisville? It's because they were on the bad end of a power play. As for the earlier entries, it depends on who you believe. If you believe Defilippo, we were the first choice there.

Reaction Score
What's he gonna do? Say we didn't really want Louisville? If it's about fans in the seats, then Rutgers and Maryland don't get to B1G. So it's not about that.

UNC literally stole money from FSU. When FSU realized that UL could be fashioned into a good shiv, they used them as a pawn. Both UL and UConn were bystanders.

The only utterances we heard from FSU and UNC in all this is that FSU's BOT claimed that UNC stole money from FSU and that UNC said adding UL had nothing to do with academics. Pretty telling and galling from UNC.
It's not about RU and MD, it's about UL and the ACC. The B1G really didn't care what game RU and MD had. They think their cable game will lead to riches.

Reaction Score
Isn't it the UConn administrations responsibility to close that gap? It's no secret we have had arguably the worst public relations in NCAA history the last few years. Jurich even sold Louisville's women's basketball program long term over ours. He's a hustler and deserves this victory. Warde is quoted as saying he isn't sure if someone with his title can have much of an impact. The facts are that UConn was a lock on paper, and Warde went to the Paradise Jam while Jurich cancelled his Atlantis trip and went full press. #LobbiedHarder

UConn being a "lock on paper" is not a fact as no one even knows the facts related to who the ACC was leaning towards. But if you believe Jurich sold the Louisville women's program over the Huskies then you're nuts and to take it a step further I doubt anyone cared about the women's programs in these discussions!!

C

Chief00

UConn being a "lock on paper" is not a fact as no one even knows the facts related to who the ACC was leaning towards. But if you believe Jurich sold the Louisville women's program over the Huskies then you're nuts and to take it a step further I doubt anyone cared about the women's programs in these discussions!!

This is nothing more than self preservation damage control by Warde and Susan. Actually, we never had a chance because she has no connections with her peer group - the decision makers. And she is not particularly well liked by those who know her. So one missed it will be research and academics, another its a school that we are on par with on FB being so much better in FB than us, etc. Never underestimate likeability and connections in this club that makes the decisions.

As much as I love the guy - when you have Calhoun working the phones - you are in trouble. For all his success he had a lot of detractors fair or unfair.

Reaction Score
This is nothing more than self preservation damage control by Warde and Susan. Actually, we never had a chance because she has no connections with her peer group - the decision makers. And she is not particularly well liked by those who know her. So one missed it will be research and academics, another its a school that we are on par with on FB being so much better in FB than us, etc. Never underestimate likeability and connections in this club that makes the decisions.

As much as I love the guy - when you have Calhoun working the phones - you are in trouble. For all his success he had a lot of detractors fair or unfair.

It's funny how many "assume" he has so many detractors because he was like a bull in a China shop during his hoops season. Yet most people who we assume are his peers and detractors, see the very good side with all the great causes he stands for and are intelligent enough to see the real man rather than the fighter on the court he was..........I'm guessing you and many others overestimate the "lot of detractors" he has........I'm sure the guy coaching the Louisville hoops team has his share too and they won......:rolleyes:.....pretty sure JC stood by Pat and never had "dessert" on a resteraunt table after a game!

Reaction Score
I'll try to break it down as simply as I possibly can:

1. While UConn isn't good at football, Louisville sucks too. No better than Pitt.
2. FSU's bigwigs accused Tobacco Road of cheating them--in the press.
3. UNC's Prez made some crazy butthurt comment after UL was added.

For me, these are the 3 major factors in all of this, and when added up I can only conclude it comes down to FSU using Ville as a pawn to stick it to UNC. All the rest of the stuff, UL's inflated budget (which was even with UConn last year), the APR (UL on probation as well), fannies in the seats at UL but no eyeballs on the set?, it doesn't figure into it anywhere near as much as 2 and 3. Really I should make the case that Ville got in BECAUSE of bad academic rather than despite them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's funny how many "assume" he has so many detractors because he was like a bull in a China shop during his hoops season. Yet most people who we assume are his peers and detractors, see the very good side with all the great causes he stands for and are intelligent enough to see the real man rather than the fighter on the court he was..........I'm guessing you and many others overestimate the "lot of detractors" he has........I'm sure the guy coaching the Louisville hoops team has his share too and they won......:rolleyes:.....pretty sure JC stood by Pat and never had "dessert" on a resteraunt table after a game!

Yeah, yeah yeah. The point is now he is not the coach anymore. UConn is still paying him millions. What is he doing for the money they are paying him? I read and hear plenty of self-serving comments coming from him. What is he doing to benefit UConn? Maybe he's making calls I haven't read about. But I hear no UConn boosting coming from him.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I'll try to break it down as simply as I possibly can:

1. While UConn isn't good at football, Louisville sucks too. No better than Pitt.
2. FSU's bigwigs accused Tobacco Road of cheating them--in the press.
3. UNC's Prez made some crazy butthurt comment after UL was added.

For the ACC one deciding factor was the revenue formula. After this year LU will have FIVE top 25 finishes to boost the ACC revenue allotment from the new media contract. UConn's Top 25 Football finishes?

Raycom is already set in the Louisville Market. They can milk the ACC brand there for all its worth. They balked at NYC. They are in Cincy, Toledo and Cleveland as well.

Take one look at the map amd think Maryland and FSU and UConn? Or Louisville -- Cincy.

http://www.raycommedia.com/locations/

Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah yeah. The point is now he is not the coach anymore. UConn is still paying him millions. What is he doing for the money they are paying him? I read and hear plenty of self-serving comments coming from him. What is he doing to benefit UConn? Maybe he's making calls I haven't read about. But I hear no UConn boosting coming from him.

And your thoughts on JC have been well documented prior to this post........not sure he could ever make you happy.

How quickly we forget......it's a shame.

"self serving" comments......can you name ALL of them and then do me a huge favor and document the one's which he throws KO on a pedestal okay....believe the number will amaze even you!

Reaction Score

I've heard plenty. Face it, you don't like the guy.

Reaction Score
For the ACC one deciding factor was the revenue formula. After this year LU will have FIVE top 25 finishes to boost the ACC revenue allotment from the new media contract. UConn's Top 25 Football finishes?

Raycom is already set in the Louisville Market. They can milk the ACC brand there for all its worth. They balked at NYC. They are in Cincy, Toledo and Cleveland as well.

Take one look at the map amd think Maryland and FSU and UConn? Or Louisville -- Cincy.

That revenue formula is for the future. Louisville will not experience that success again. Why? Because it took WV leaving for them to have a good season, and even then they couldn't help getting blown out by Cuse and losing to UConn at home. Never mind their weak OOC. They've done nothing this year. I expect them to get taken to the woodshed worse than UConn lost to Oklahoma.

I mean, if the ACC really chose Toledo and Louisville over NYC, if that's the reason, then good luck to them.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I mean, if the ACC really chose Toledo and Louisville over NYC, if that's the reason, then good luck to them.

Swofford's son at Raycom is a coattails kinda guy......They still live the Metro Conference Dream and live for the RayCom footprint.

Blast from the past below. Raycom's attempts to create the first media conference in 1990. Then the BE stepped in and screwed up the RayCom dream.

>> THE METRO Conference has decided to pursue two variations of a superconference - a 16-team football conference and a 12-team all-sports conference. The football-only version would cover more than 35 percent of the U.S. television market. Representatives of the eight Metro schools and eight football independents discussed the proposals during a meeting in Charlotte, N.C. The proposals were selected from several expansion scenarios researched by Raycom Sports Inc.

''There was positive response to the proposals,'' said Ken Haines, executive vice president of Raycom. ''We hope to have a response from them in the next several months.'' The 16-team football league would include Metro members Cincinnati , Florida State, Louisville, Memphis, South Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Tulane. Virginia Tech and football independents Boston College, East Carolina, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple and West Virginia. Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and East Carolina would only compete in football <<

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Very interesting. Raycom is the regional broadcaster that Swofford's kid has a prominent position. The biggest flaw with the ACC deal is that Raycom owns the third tier rights to ACC's football deal. The universities do not get anything from their third tier rights from what people have posted on the conference realignment board. And that impacts FSU and Clemson the most. You have to wonder how much this is a company greasing the wheels. Of course they have no presence in NY, Mass or Penn and the ACC has taken schools from those states. I would have added Indiana but ND did not give the ACC football so Raycom doesn't benefit as much from ND. Raycom benefits from Ville over UConn but not the ACC.

As much as I believe there is going on with underhanded business deals, I still can only come up with one answer. This is a power play by FSU. Ville's football is perceived as better than Uconn but with analysis it isn't significantly greater. And their market is much weaker than UConn's so they are not giving the ACC a market share advantage that UConn could have given them.

FSU is flexing their muscles. They lost WV in the last battle. WV is a legitimate football power with history and current success. It has better academics than Ville. It has a local market disadvantage compared to Ville but WV's addition to the ACC would have balanced the northern and southern leagues. It is a stretch to expect that from Ville. Ville is a wannabe. But why take Ville this time? The only conclusion is FSU wanted to make a statement and not a football or bb statement but a statement to tobacco road, to Swofford and the media that has deals with the ACC. I expect one of two things to happen. The ACC gets a change in the media contracts with ESPN and Raycom. Or FSU bolts to the B12. If that happens the ACC will go the way of the BE. Of course the SEC and the B!G could be catalysts in this process.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
FSU's interest and the southern bias which includes RayCom's business territory were mutual.

Fans like the Charlotte Mafia angle with UNC screwing FSU but FSU knows their Tier 3 isn't worth that much for that one lousy game a year against a hair dressing school. The RayCom portion of the ESPN contract was revealed to be ~ $4.5 million and now higher with Louisville for which RayCom would pay more into the contract ~ $5.0 mil per team. RayCom can produce Louisville games with little or no additional expense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've heard plenty. Face it, you don't like the guy.

I love the guy. I've fought battles (metaphorically speaking) for the guy. Funny saying this the day after Arnold Dean died, but I used the call that show all the time saying we ought to fire Perno and hire Calhoun. I was happily stunned when they listened to me. I was quoted in the Courant saying that Calhoun was the guy to take us to the promised land. When people said that JC could never win the big one, I told them they were full of . I was all-in for JC and it paid off. But UConn is in a bad spot now because of him. And he hasn't been doing all he can do to make it right. And that might not bother me as much if I wasn't as all-in as I was. I don't like being the fan of an outlaw program.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
FSU's interest and the southern bias which includes RayCom's business territory were mutual.

Fans like the Charlotte Mafia angle with UNC screwing FSU but FSU knows their Tier 3 isn't worth that much for that one lousy game a year against a hair dressing school. The RayCom portion of the ESPN contract was revealed to be ~ $4.5 million and now higher with Louisville for which RayCom would pay more into the contract ~ $5.0 mil per team. RayCom can produce Louisville games with little or no additional expense.
Hard to believe the ACC would want Ville for $500 thousand a year when they could have parlayed WV last year into a much bigger contract with ESPN.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Hard to believe the ACC would want Ville for $500 thousand a year when they could have parlayed WV last year into a much bigger contract with ESPN.

I think that woke them up. The irony is they clearly see the BiG and SEC and Big 12 as poachers

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think that woke them up. The irony is they clearly see the BiG and SEC and Big 12 as poachers
The irony being they explored entry into the SEC and B12? And they being FSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom