UConn never had a chance for the ACC.... | The Boneyard

UConn never had a chance for the ACC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1209-20121208,0,2250019.story

Football at Louisville was much better and Jurich did a great job closing what would seemingly have been a tough one for him to lose.

Not real fair to pin this on Manual because he was already behind and had too much room to make up for a win.......but he already failed miserably when noting the message of the major conferences which is put fannies in the seats and put a competitive team on the field every year......

His failure - keeping PP......downright terrible move which will set the football program behind 2-3 more years and keep our mens hoops team playing SMU and Houston for years to come!!

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Doyle doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

Better football?

Look at Louisville's schedule. This is not a good football school. I don't care what anyone says. They leave me cold. They have been blundering at football for quite a few years now, and their so-called success this year is the story of tremendous weakness in the conference.

You look at UL football over the last several years, and really what have they done over UConn? Nothing. Not in the win columns, and not head to head.

UConn never had a chance? SAY WHA?????

The whole reason that Louisville got invited was the internecine fight between FSU's BOT (Haggard laid it all out) and UNC's ridiculous power grab this summer. UNC needlessly antagonized FSU and created this whole mess.

Reaction Score
And the 49K who fill the seats and a much higher season ticket holder base........compared to one which is shrinking as we speak.........I do not know the details of how this came down but I agree with him here, Huskies never had a shot..........and the dic*head Swofford pretty much supported that theory!

Reaction Score
And the 49K who fill the seats and a much higher season ticket holder base........compared to one which is shrinking as we speak.........I do not contend to know the details of how this came down but I agree with him here, Huskies never had a shot..........and the dic*head Swofford pretty much supported that theory!

What's he gonna do? Say we didn't really want Louisville? If it's about fans in the seats, then Rutgers and Maryland don't get to B1G. So it's not about that.

UNC literally stole money from FSU. When FSU realized that UL could be fashioned into a good shiv, they used them as a pawn. Both UL and UConn were bystanders.

The only utterances we heard from FSU and UNC in all this is that FSU's BOT claimed that UNC stole money from FSU and that UNC said adding UL had nothing to do with academics. Pretty telling and galling from UNC.

Reaction Score
A very bad situation is going to get much worse with the current football coaching staff. We have a mid-major coaching staff, yet aspire to be a top program. It just ain't gonna work. The sooner we cut our losses, the better chance we have of making the conference move that we need to make for continued prosperity and survival.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I didn't see a single quote from an ACC source in that article as to how and why the decision was made. Never had a chance is complete garbage. "Blew its best opportunity" is more accurate, and if the author wants to blame the hiring of PP, he may be right. Comparing how the two schools reacted to BCS bowl selections is apples and oranges, the circumstances were very different. I do agree we have a relatively small fannies in the seats fanbase, like many ACC schools.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Football at Louisville was much better and Jurich did a great job closing what would seemingly have been a tough one for him to lose.

So Jurich was lying when he said that UConn wasn't pencilled in,"it was in pen." If only UConn worked as hard at moving forward as they do covering for their failures. Nice to see Doyle settling into the role as UConn butt-boy.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1209-20121208,0,2250019.story

Not real fair to pin this on Manual because he was already behind and had too much room to make up for a win......

Jurich's quote 'we were definitely the underdogs, people had UConn not penciled in, but penned in." This completely contradicts your opinion, and sure maybe he is pumping his chest a little. But when news broke of RU and Maryland thinking B1G, UConn emerged as the clear frontrunner. UConn fits the academic and athletic profile of the ACC to a T. UConn has a much better market and far superior academics. Louisville is ranked almost 50 spots below the worst ACC school (NC State) according to US News. #160!! That is absolutely horrendous. Am I missing something? When did Louisville become such a football powerhouse?? They have a losing record against us and we were in a BCS game two years ago.

I like Susan and I "want" to like Warde, but a school with superior academics, stronger market, and comparable athletics has NEVER lost out in the conference realignment game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The next time a Horde writer has an actual source will be the first. The article is an opinion piece that is page view bait for self-loathing UConn fans.

Reaction Score
From a business standpoint, this defies all logic. We have a top 50 fanbase.

And we're 4-5 against Louisville football going back to 2000. That's our whole series with them. Have to win next year too!

Reaction Score
Jurich's quote 'we were definitely the underdogs, people had UConn not penciled in, but penned in." This completely contradicts your opinion, and sure maybe he is pumping his chest a little. But when news broke of RU and Maryland thinking B1G, UConn emerged as the clear frontrunner. UConn fits the academic and athletic profile of the ACC to a T. UConn has a much better market and far superior academics. Louisville is ranked almost 50 spots below the worst ACC school (NC State) according to US News. #160!! That is absolutely horrendous. Am I missing something? When did Louisville become such a football powerhouse?? They have a losing record against us and we were in a BCS game two years ago.

I like Susan and I "want" to like Warde, but a school with superior academics, stronger market, and comparable athletics has NEVER lost out in the conference realignment game.

No it doesn't.......Jurich is just trying to make his win look even better than it was, a little pat on his own back!!

Bottom line is they make more money, they've had better/more creative coaches and have been much more fun to watch play. Maybe reality is they aren't a lot better but perception is they are!!

Reaction Score
"We have to do a better job engaging [fans]," said Manuel, who was hired in February. "We're going to reach out to them and engage them differently as we move forward. I don't have all the answers right now, but the staff is working on trying to be better and engage our fans so that the in-game experience improves."

The guy seems lost.

Reaction Score
Im sorry but i have to disagree with the people who say that UConn's football program is better or even on the same level as Louisville's. In this situation the facts are just the facts. You saw from the article that Louisville has been drawing 48,000 plus for football games over the last 3 years while UConns attendance has been on the decline since 2010 and could barely draw 40,000. Im all for expanding the rent by 10,000 but until there is a consistent attendance increase there is no way that will happen.

As far as success on the field goes...Since 2000 Louisville has won or tied for 1st in their conference 6 times. Since coming to the Big East in 2005 they have 3 first place finishes and they went to the Orange Bowl with a 12-1 record in 2006 and won it. When UConn went to the Fiesta Bowl they barely made it with an 8-4 record.

In the beginning everyone said it was all about football and this is the main reason why Louisville was chosen over UConn. Actions speak louder then words and if UConn is as serious about their football program as they say they are, PP should have been fired. I agree that we cant afford another sub 500 season because it will set the program back even farther. If UConn starts to win big i really believe that more fans will show up and the Rent expansion will be underway. This has to happen sooner rather then later.

Reaction Score
When it comes to conference affiliation, I don't think a few thousand people in average attendance make much of a difference, nor do Louisville's Conference USA titles while UConn was in transition, nor does what the record was when championships were won. Titles are titles.

What matters is projecting the future. It is a pretty solid argument to say that Louisville has greater long-term football potential - and that's what FSU and the football folks argued on their behalf. That means more than what happened in the past. Likewise, in a dream world when the B1G thought about us, they wouldn't use attendance figures or tv ratings against Western Michigan to gauge what those figures would be when big Michigan came to visit. They'd project.

Jurich's quote amounts to massive own-horn-tooting and shouldn't be used as evidence of anything.

Reaction Score
No it doesn't.......Jurich is just trying to make his win look even better than it was, a little pat on his own back!!

Bottom line is they make more money, they've had better/more creative coaches and have been much more fun to watch play. Maybe reality is they aren't a lot better but perception is they are!!

Isn't it the UConn administrations responsibility to close that gap? It's no secret we have had arguably the worst public relations in NCAA history the last few years. Jurich even sold Louisville's women's basketball program long term over ours. He's a hustler and deserves this victory. Warde is quoted as saying he isn't sure if someone with his title can have much of an impact. The facts are that UConn was a lock on paper, and Warde went to the Paradise Jam while Jurich cancelled his Atlantis trip and went full press. #LobbiedHarder

Reaction Score
Lets also keep in mind that Louisville is a team that we allowed into the Big East. Jurich skipped his turn in line and I tip my hat to him.

Reaction Score

But they don't make more money.

Reaction Score
Im sorry but i have to disagree with the people who say that UConn's football program is better or even on the same level as Louisville's. In this situation the facts are just the facts. You saw from the article that Louisville has been drawing 48,000 plus for football games over the last 3 years while UConns attendance has been on the decline since 2010 and could barely draw 40,000. Im all for expanding the rent by 10,000 but until there is a consistent attendance increase there is no way that will happen.

As far as success on the field goes...Since 2000 Louisville has won or tied for 1st in their conference 6 times. Since coming to the Big East in 2005 they have 3 first place finishes and they went to the Orange Bowl with a 12-1 record in 2006 and won it. When UConn went to the Fiesta Bowl they barely made it with an 8-4 record.

In the beginning everyone said it was all about football and this is the main reason why Louisville was chosen over UConn. Actions speak louder then words and if UConn is as serious about their football program as they say they are, PP should have been fired. I agree that we cant afford another sub 500 season because it will set the program back even farther. If UConn starts to win big i really believe that more fans will show up and the Rent expansion will be underway. This has to happen sooner rather then later.

How was Maryland drawing? Since 2000? They were in CUSA for 4 or 5 of those years. UConn has 3 since joing the BE. How many does Louisville have? And was Louisville not serious because they hung onto Krag for more than 2 years? I agree that PP should be shown the door, but Krag was an even bigger disaster, and Jurich stuck with him.

Reaction Score
The article is accurate. We never had a chance. Fl. St., GT Clemson and NC ST. Had banded together and did not want Uconn. That's been reported forever on Tobacco Road. We just never came close to having the votes. Also I hear VT also would not vote for us.

Reaction Score
Thsat is hoss manuere. Louisville had Kragthorpe for 4 years before Strong. Kragthorpe was so bad it is now used as a verb meaning to scrtew up your football team. Give me a break.

Reaction Score
The article is accurate. We never had a chance. Fl. St., GT Clemson and NC ST. Had banded together and did not want Uconn. That's been reported forever on Tobacco Road. We just never came close to having the votes. Also I hear VT also would not vote for us.
Why wouldn't they vote for UConn?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Louisville was a decent fit for the ACC. Slive & Delaney aren't done. Maybe for a year or two. Streaming will upset their apple carts

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have to agree with upstater. If you look at Ville they are not a football powerhouse. UConn held their own against them the last decade. Beat them this year. upstater has show on the conference realignment forum that the athletic $$$ numbers for ville are enron maneuvered. Others have shown attendance also manufactured.

Because football is the engine getting most of the media revenue, FSU and Clemson consider their value to the conference much greater to the AC than tobacco road. This is no different than what many people consider regarding the relative value that UConn has to SH or any of the bb be schools not named Georgetown. But up until this point tobacco road has been the decision maker for the conference.

In the previous move by the ACC it could be stated with some certainty that FSU wanted WV. Tobacco road won that round and convinced the conference to take Pitt and Cuse instead. They wanted to maintain academic standards. What changed this round was that Maryland left. Why did a founding member of the ACC leave? Maybe it was politics. Maybe it was economics. Most likely a bit of both.

The ACC has a much poorer media contract than the other four power conferences. Although the BE would only wish to have that contract, the fear within the ACC is that Maryland is just the beginning of the ACC exodus. So all this comes down to money and conference stability. IMO FSU wants to stay within the ACC, but recognizes that the ACC can go down the path of the BE unless the contract with ESPN is renegotiated.

The ACC invited ND hoping the invite would eventually result in ND joining the conference in football down the road. The BE tried the same gambit and that didn't work for them. So taking Ville over UConn was purely a demonstration by FSU that they control the conference and will control policy. There is a lot of stuff that went down with the ACC contract that, although speculative in nature, was a sweetheart deal for a regional broadcaster, of which Swofford's son is an officer. I'm not sure what the connection with that company is with North Carolina but I wouldn't doubt people in political power within that state have connections to that company. So the deal went down and the biggest loser by far in all this was FSU. ESPN and the regional broadcaster (ask HuskyFanDan for the name of the company and the article about this company) will have to renegotiate the deal or FSU and probably Clemson will go to the B12.

In other words taking Ville over UConn was the first move to let ESPN know that the conference is under FSU's power and the contract, which was orchestrated by tobacco road, will no longer be acceptable. Now the ball is in ESPN's court. If they don't renegotiate, FSU is gone. UConn got hurt because of a bigger issue between FSU and tobacco road and because of the relatively poor ESPN contract. All this bluster by Jurich is opportunistic like AO's dad spouting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom