UCONN is ranked where!? Missy, Missy, Missy! Shame, Shame, Shame! | The Boneyard

UCONN is ranked where!? Missy, Missy, Missy! Shame, Shame, Shame!

Reaction Score
I suspect it must have been an honest mistake, and an apology or explanation will be coming soon, but regardless it is a major mistake for
a relatively new media source trying to establish itself as an authority on women's basketball, and obviously there was a lack of review of this article before releasing it.

Reaction Score
Prophets, psychics, visionaries, or fortune tellers, most are just looking for a reaction. No one has played a game, so none of the polls are right or wrong. I try not to comment on such topics, but....

I try to focus on the concrete. The only thing I see preseason are past statistics.

Paige's freshman year UConn Average 81.87 points while allowing 52.57 per game
Last year UConn averaged 78.8 PPG and allowed 54.9 PPG.
Geno will keep the opponent average in the mid 50's, but somehow 40 PPG is needed on the offensive end.

This year, the biggest hurdle I see is 1342 points. That is the combined amount that PB, CW, EW, & ONO scored last season. That is 50.5% of the teams 2656 points. Your veterans can up their totals to make up some, but not all. Three new players are needed to step up quickly. Hopefully, New Lou can play at this level, say 10-12 minutes with 6-10 PPG. Then comes Brady and Patterson. They need to find it soon, 10-15 minutes and 8-10 PPG each. Texas will be here in 21 days! Ready or not here they come.

Other holes left by PB, CW, EW, & ONO from last year:
Assists 371 (57.7% of last years totals)
Rebounds 559 (56.5%)
Blocks 87 (52.1%)
Steals 163 (50.8%)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait for it!

I Think Not No GIF by GEICO

Reaction Score
What she did was brilliant! In today's competitive media world, what better way to draw attention to yourself when you are starting out, then to make an idiotic statement. Getting viewers and reactions is the name of the game. She got me to respond to this post!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
The woman is clearly projecting the ranking of the next 5 players off the bench as a squad... it's okay folks... lol

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fortunately these preseason prognostications are quickly forgotten once the season starts. But until then . . .

Once again, UConn only has questions and most every other team has answers. Like Charlie, she's incapable of making an affirmative or positive statement about any UConn player.

In her preview of UConn she does not even mention Caroline Ducharme. Not even a mention. Contrast that with what she had to say about Notre Dame's Jenna Brown:

Guard Jenna Brown (Stanford) can get to the rim to score and will defend with the intensity Ivey demands on every possession.

Putting aside the remark about Ivey and intensity on every defensive possession, how can Missy possibly know this about Brown? Jenna is a graduate student at Notre Dame and last played a basketball game for Stanford when she was a sophomore in the 2019-2020 season. That's 2 full seasons without playing. When she did play at Stanford (2 seasons) she averaged about 8 mpg and 1-2 ppg. My point is not to pick on Jenna Brown. She may surprise us all and have a good season but what basketball analyst would mention Jenna Brown but not Caroline Ducharme? Or mention Jenna Brown but not Lou Lopez-Senechal.

She says Dorka and Aaliyah "must elevate their games to contribute more this season." Elevate, elevate, where have I read that word used before? Oh right, Charlie Creme: "Can Aaliyah Edwards and Dorka Juhasz elevate to even greater heights?"
Alrighty then. Surely Missy believes other post players will need to elevate their games too, right? Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else. Former Providence center Alyssa Geary transferred to Indiana and, according to Missy, will give her #10 ranked Hoosiers "a compliment frontcourt presence to Holmes." I should note that Alyssa Geary shot 1-15 against UConn in 2 games last season. No need for her to elevate her game on a top 10 team though.

I could go on...

Reaction Score
Obviously, as a member of the media, this individual is only looking for a reaction and it seems like some people are more than willing to give her exactly what she wants. So, in the end, she's really the only one who ends up winning. Personally, I refuse to do so but to each their own. That being said, one thing that has always been true and will never change is that polls mean absolutely nothing except at the end of the season. Whatever happens from now until then is what happens. That's all I have to say other than I can't wait for the season to start.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fortunately these preseason prognostications are quickly forgotten once the season starts. But until then . . .

Once again, UConn only has questions and most every other team has answers. Like Charlie, she's incapable of making an affirmative or positive statement about any UConn player.

In her preview of UConn she does not even mention Caroline Ducharme. Not even a mention. Contrast that with what she had to say about Notre Dame's Jenna Brown:

Guard Jenna Brown (Stanford) can get to the rim to score and will defend with the intensity Ivey demands on every possession.

Putting aside the remark about Ivey and intensity on every defensive possession, how can Missy possibly know this about Brown? Jenna is a graduate student at Notre Dame and last played a basketball game for Stanford when she was a sophomore in the 2019-2020 season. That's 2 full seasons without playing. When she did play at Stanford (2 seasons) she averaged about 8 mpg and 1-2 ppg. My point is not to pick on Jenna Brown. She may surprise us all and have a good season but what basketball analyst would mention Jenna Brown but not Caroline Ducharme? Or mention Jenna Brown but not Lou Lopez-Senechal.

She says Dorka and Aaliyah "must elevate their games to contribute more this season." Elevate, elevate, where have I read that word used before? Oh right, Charlie Creme: "Can Aaliyah Edwards and Dorka Juhasz elevate to even greater heights?"
Alrighty then. Surely Missy believes other post players will need to elevate their games too, right? Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else. Former Providence center Alyssa Geary transferred to Indiana and, according to Missy, will give her #10 ranked Hoosiers "a compliment frontcourt presence to Holmes." I should note that Alyssa Geary shot 1-15 against UConn in 2 games last season. No need for her to elevate her game on a top 10 team though.

I could go on...
Missy (Decker) Heidrick is a former Kansas State PG. Maybe she looked up the UConn-KState record. UConn is 3-0 with the closest game a 19 point UConn victory in Kansas in 2016.

https://www./author/missy-heidrick/

Reaction Score
Not always a bad thing to be ranked further down than expected since being an underdog is a traditional motive to show how wrong the rankings were.

Reaction Score
Prophets, psychics, visionaries, or fortune tellers, most are just looking for a reaction. No one has played a game, so none of the polls are right or wrong. I try not to comment on such topics, but....

I try to focus on the concrete. The only thing I see preseason are past statistics.

Paige's freshman year UConn Average 81.87 points while allowing 52.57 per game
Last year UConn averaged 78.8 PPG and allowed 54.9 PPG.
Geno will keep the opponent average in the mid 50's, but somehow 40 PPG is needed on the offensive end.

This year, the biggest hurdle I see is 1342 points. That is the combined amount that PB, CW, EW, & ONO scored last season. That is 50.5% of the teams 2656 points. Your veterans can up their totals to make up some, but not all. Three new players are needed to step up quickly. Hopefully, New Lou can play at this level, say 10-12 minutes with 6-10 PPG. Then comes Brady and Patterson. They need to find it soon, 10-15 minutes and 8-10 PPG each. Texas will be here in 21 days! Ready or not here they come.

Other holes left by PB, CW, EW, & ONO from last year:
Assists 371 (57.7% of last years totals)
Rebounds 559 (56.5%)
Blocks 87 (52.1%)
Steals 163 (50.8%)

The problem with the stats is that CW, EW, ONO and Edwards were the only players not to miss extensive periods. So they got the bulk of the minutes compared to everyone else. If Bueckers and Fudd had played healthy they would both have started and Westbrook and Williams would have had to fight Ducharme for minutes. I basically ignore the season numbers from 2022. Too many personnel/position changes from game to game.

What I ask myself is what did the graduates take with them that isn't matched or exceeded by a current player? In the case of ONO, Geno has Juhasz, Brady, Patterson and maybe DeBerry. Last year it was Juhasz as the only real backup for the 4 or the 5. And would Fudd rather have CW & EW at the 2/3 or Ducharme & LLS? The shooting of CW & EW were why Bueckers had to move from pg to the 2 in 2021.

Reaction Score
She seems to be saying that there is little top tier talent without Paige, and that’s just a little silly. The only thing injury wise that seems close to losing Paige is both Shea and Svet in 2001. That team still went to the final four with Taurasi as a freshman and those injuries were mid to late season. There’s less margin for error now and it will be more difficult to pull out close games, but this team is loaded with talent and should be very good.

Reaction Score
The problem with the stats is that CW, EW, ONO and Edwards were the only players not to miss extensive periods. So they got the bulk of the minutes compared to everyone else. If Bueckers and Fudd had played healthy they would both have started and Westbrook and Williams would have had to fight Ducharme for minutes. I basically ignore the season numbers from 2022. Too many personnel/position changes from game to game.

What I ask myself is what did the graduates take with them that isn't matched or exceeded by a current player? In the case of ONO, Geno has Juhasz, Brady, Patterson and maybe DeBerry. Last year it was Juhasz as the only real backup for the 4 or the 5. And would Fudd rather have CW & EW at the 2/3 or Ducharme & LLS? The shooting of CW & EW were why Bueckers had to move from pg to the 2 in 2021.
As frustrating as she could be at times, there is no player on this year’s team that will give them the interior defense that ONO did. Finding a way to fill that hole in the paint by committee might well be the key to their season.

Reaction Score
Frankly I'm lovin it! Great bulletin board stuff! She does have a valid point about UConn having question marks after losing some excellent players along with no PB.......we are all counting on staying healthy and playing up to her potential plus looking for sophs and freshman to make big jumps this season and there's simply no way of predicting how that will turn out.......I happen to think that the freshman will be really good as the season progresses but that's just my opinion.....she was smart enough to say that UConn won't end the season at 19 so there is hope for her yet....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Frankly I'm lovin it! Great bulletin board stuff! She does have a valid point about UConn having question marks after losing some excellent players along with no PB.......we are all counting on Azzi Fudd staying healthy and playing up to her potential plus looking for sophs and freshman to make big jumps this season and there's simply no way of predicting how that will turn out.......I happen to think that the freshman will be really good as the season progresses but that's just my opinion.....she was smart enough to say that UConn won't end the season at 19 so there is hope for her yet....
Agree 110% with you but wonder if Geno has a bulletin board ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom