Men - UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If there was any chance that they could fill stadiums for these games under a format similar to the men's basketball tournament (sites preselected well in advance) they would do this.

I doubt that if they held a subregional in for example Pawtucket (Paw Sox home) and had say Oklahoma, Duke, Indiana and Stetson participate, there would be very disappointing turnouts.
I believe back in the 80's and early 90's they may have had random sites, not sure but I remember UConn playing Georgia in Waterbury in maybe 1990, the year Georgia won the Championship. I remember Waterbury getting several years of games there. It has been discussed on ESPN several times about possibly going to a 32 team host, with each series being a best 2 out of 3. That would be our best chance at hosting in the future.

Reaction Score

-> Oklahoma - The Sooners are a bit of an anomaly in college baseball this season. They’re actually better on the road (14-5) than they are at home (18-10). They’re also really good at beating teams worse than they are and not so good at beating teams that are on their level–they lost series to Oklahoma State, Texas and West Virginia, the teams that finished second, third and fourth in the Big 12 standings, as well as getting swept at home by Lamar.

So, while Oklahoma is 37-19 overall and won the Big 12 title, it is by no means unbeatable. Duke, the No. 2 seed in Norman, has been up and down this season. It just swept through the ACC Tournament, but it had lost three of its last four series at the end of the season. Lefthander Jonathan Santucci, a projected first-round pick, is expected to this weekend be back in the rotation after missing his last two starts. UConn, the No. 3 seed, is a solid, well-traveled, well-tested team that’s not going to be overwhelmed by the moment in any way. Oral Roberts, the No. 4 seed, is not as good as last year’s College World Series team, but it’s got that experience and it’s 1-1 this season against the Sooners. I wouldn’t be surprised by any result in Norman this weekend. <-

Reaction Score

11. Oklahoma (37-19, 23-7 Big 12)

The Sooners this season stormed through the Big 12 en route to their first regular season conference championship since 1995, and their 23 conference wins are the most in program history. While they won all but four of their series this year, the Sooners also have impressive standalone wins over top-seeded Tennessee and No. 25 Nebraska. OU is a streaky team with weapons on both sides of the baseball and when it is at its best, it can play with any team in the country.

Hitter To Watch: C Easton Carmichael (.362/.406/.560, 18 2B, 6 HR, 61 RBI)
Pitcher To Watch: LHP Braden Davis (9-3, 4.31 ERA)

12. Duke (39-18, 16-14 ACC)

Duke this year hit the ground running, sweeping its way through the Baseball at the Beach field on opening weekend. It most notably beat then-No. 1 Wake Forest, but lost its final three ACC series in the lead up to the ACC tournament. The Blue Devils went 4-0 in Charlotte, culminating in a 16-4 win over Florida State in the championship game. In addition to a deep lineup, Duke has perhaps the best closer in the country in Charlie Beilenson (7-3, 1.98 ERA) and plenty of reliable options on its pitching staff.

Hitter To Watch: 1B Ben Miller (.375/.453/.676, 18 2B, 15 HR, 49 RBI)
Pitcher To Watch: LHP Jonathan Santucci (6-1, 3.54 ERA)

43. Connecticut (32-23, 17-4 Big East)

Head coach Jim Penders has built UConn into a Northeast powerhouse, and the Huskies have won four-straight regular season Big East conference titles. This year, they powered through a rough 3-9 start and went undefeated in Big East series. The Huskies knocked off eventual Big East tournament champion St. John’s, but also have big wins over Louisville, UC Irvine and Kansas State on their resume. As per usual, UConn is an experienced team who will not be phased by bright lights and a hostile road environment. It has the best pitching staff in the Big East, and its depth plays in its favor.

Hitter To Watch: OF Korey Morton (.318/.365/.523, 15 2B, 10 HR, 42 RBI)
Pitcher To Watch: RHP Ian Cooke (4-1, 4.20 ERA)

Sorry : Oral Roberts got cut out in format conversion

Reaction Score

Norman Regional

1. Oklahoma (9)
— Number of Big 12 series sweeps for the Sooners en route to winning the regular season title by a commanding three games. Oklahoma swept Baylor, Texas Tech, BYU, Kansas State, TCU and UCF over the course of the regular season. Worth noting: The Sooners dropped four series all year — three to tournament teams in West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Texas.

2. Duke
— Number of hitters with double-digit home runs this season, second-most in the country. The Blue Devils lineup features Zac Morris (18 home runs), Logan Bravo (17), Ben Miller (15), Devin Obee (15), Alex Stone (13) and AJ Gracia (13).

3. UConn
— Consecutive Big East regular season titles for the Huskies. That’s four in four years for UConn since returning to the conference after a seven-year stint in the American. The Huskies have appeared in six straight NCAA Tournaments and 10 of the last 14.

4. Oral Roberts
— Straight starts of at least six innings from ace Jakob Hall, who paced the Summit League with 10 quality starts. The Golden Eagles went 12-3 in Hall’s 15 starts as he posted a gaudy 105:19 K/BB ratio and went 10-2 with a 3.71 ERA.

Reaction Score
IMG_0772.jpeg

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I believe back in the 80's and early 90's they may have had random sites, not sure but I remember UConn playing Georgia in Waterbury in maybe 1990, the year Georgia won the Championship. I remember Waterbury getting several years of games there. It has been discussed on ESPN several times about possibly going to a 32 team host, with each series being a best 2 out of 3. That would be our best chance at hosting in the future.
I was at the UGA game at Municipal Stadium. Dreary dump then. IDK if it has improved over the years.
Today, one would assume the only place in CT with adequate seating and amenities is DD Park in Hartford.
That assumes UConn is a top 16 and the Yard Goats are out of town. Maybe Norwich.

Reaction Score
Good listen (I could listen to Penders all day):

… and yes, there is a bunting and base-running discussion within ;)

Reaction Score
I was at the UGA game at Municipal Stadium. Dreary dump then. IDK if it has improved over the years.
Today, one would assume the only place in CT with adequate seating and amenities is DD Park in Hartford.
That assumes UConn is a top 16 and the Yard Goats are out of town. Maybe Norwich.
Honestly I would love a regional at DD. However with the new park I think they would opt for Storrs. I think the area without seats can accommodate a big crowd on top of permanent seating. Either way I hope we get at some point (soon).

Reaction Score
Let's be crystal clear on this. If they are fortunate enough to host a regional/super in the future it's happening at one place: Elliott. They didn't put millions of $'s into that place to have a regional at DD, Norwich etc. That makes zero sense. It will occur at Storrs, case closed.

Last year:

Reaction Score
Let's be crystal clear on this. If they are fortunate enough to host a regional/super in the future it's happening at one place: Elliott. They didn't put millions of $'s into that place to have a regional at DD, Norwich etc. That makes zero sense. It will occur at Storrs, case closed.

Last year:

All that space in RF. Standing. We’d pack that place

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see us host on campus. Benedict has said that he would put up temporary seating if needed.

Reaction Score
All that space in RF. Standing. We’d pack that place
There were close to 6000 people at Dodd on that Friday night in 2010. How many could Elliot hold? I agree that any regional would be in Storrs regardless of answer.

Reaction Score
There were close to 6000 people at Dodd on that Friday night in 2010. How many could Elliot hold? I agree that any regional would be in Storrs regardless of answer.
I believe seating is ~1,350 plus the berm down the right field line and possibly right field. If I’m wrong dbmill will correct me.

Reaction Score
I believe seating is ~1,350 plus the berm down the right field line and possibly right field. If I’m wrong dbmill will correct me.

Not going to correct you, sounds about right. UConn can get quite a few extra fans in the right field berm area.

Also, in past interviews since the new ballfield opened, it has been said by UConn athletics and baseball people that if UConn baseball were selected to host an NCAA regional, it would be held on campus at the new ballpark.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe they can add seating by the existing bleachers as well. Probably by third base and down the left field line.

Reaction Score

Pertinents:

-> X-Factor: Catchers beware

Oklahoma, Connecticut, and Oral Roberts plan to light up the basepaths this weekend in Norman. Oklahoma has six players with 10 or more steals, led by Snyder’s 15. UConn has three players with 15 or more stolen bases, led by Caleb Shpur’s 26-28 line. Add in ORU with three players with 12 or more led paced by Elijah Rodriguez’s 16, and you have an aggressive group of baserunners this weekend.

Best Starting Rotation: Connecticut

The trio of Garrett Coe (9-5, 4.53), Stephen Quigley (5-3, 3.99) and Ian Cooke (4-1, 4.50) stands out as the most reliable trio in this regional field. Coe is a warrior who has been a key part of the staff for four years; he’s a 6-foot-6, 256-pound behemoth who comes after hitters with a high-80s fastball and excellent changeup. Quigley (5-3, 3.99) is another seasoned innings-eater with two years of experience as a stalwart in the UConn rotation; his fastball averages 91 but his calling card is a low-80s slider that generates a 47% whiff rate. Cooke has the liveliest stuff of the trio, with a fastball that averages 92.5 and a slider that also has a 47% whiff rate. This is a very good group. <-

No. 1 Seed Win Probability (1-10): 5

Oklahoma won the Big 12 going away and made it to the tournament title game. This is a quality team that earned its No. 9 overall seed. However, Duke is playing its best ball and arguably should have hosted. The Blue Devils would be a tough matchup for any host, and Oklahoma drew one of the toughest 2-seeds. Add in 3 and 4-seeds who are accustomed to postseason play, and this becomes one of the most challenging regionals. <-

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
So if no.3 UConn wins and no.4 Stetson wins the Tallahassee Rgn, who hosts? Getting ahead of my skis, beat Duke.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
If there was any chance that they could fill stadiums for these games under a format similar to the men's basketball tournament (sites preselected well in advance) they would do this.

I doubt that if they held a subregional in for example Pawtucket (Paw Sox home) and had say Oklahoma, Duke, Indiana and Stetson participate, there would be very disappointing turnouts.
The PawSox have been the Woosox since 2021.

Reaction Score
I believe they can add seating by the existing bleachers as well. Probably by third base and down the left field line.
This is correct. The plan two years ago was to add temporary bleachers down the third base line and behind the fence in left field. This is exactly what Maryland did at their regional that year too. They have an old small footprint for their stadium and the bleachers were even segregated by different ticketed entrances. We have much more flexibility and a hill that can accomdate another 1,000+ people. I remember hearing we were rated at 3,500 for the current bleachers and hillside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom