Men - UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve heard the schedule has been adjusted with UConn - Duke now the early game at 1

Edit - ESPN.com now has it updated

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Santucci might strike out 20 huskies.

OU is a beatable host but Duke is a brutal 2. Their offense is prone to randomly falling asleep but they have top shelf pitching (though not that much depth).
We will see if he is healthy enough to pitch Friday

Reaction Score
I’ve heard the schedule has been adjusted with UConn - Duke now the early game at 1

Edit - ESPN.com now has it updated
Thx - I was just working off the NCAA CWS App:

IMG_0766.jpeg

Reaction Score
As far as I'm concerned they could have put us in a regional with the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox and I'd still be happy with it. We're in, under the circumstances that's all we could have hoped for.

Fixed it for you.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
IF Duke thinks they can beat us with their #2 and hold their ace off for Oklahoma, then we could miss their ace. It will be interesting to see who Penders starts. Cooke did not see action in the BET so he is well rested. Coe, gives us a rubber arm and bounce back. Quigs started against Xavier.

Reaction Score
They should have been a one.
Thought it was interesting that the ESPN guys said they thought Duke should have been a host instead of ECU and that Oklahoma should have been a top 8 seed instead of Georgia. So we seem to be in the region with the 2 teams that the experts think were under seeded. Duke will be tough, they can really hit. I'm actually more skeptical of our offense hitting against top notch pitching. Maybe they can find another gear.

Reaction Score
The link above still has us at 7. Seems if I were the top seed i would prefer to play at 1.

Reaction Score
IF Duke thinks they can beat us with their #2 and hold their ace off for Oklahoma, then we could miss their ace. It will be interesting to see who Penders starts. Cooke did not see action in the BET so he is well rested. Coe, gives us a rubber arm and bounce back. Quigs started against Xavier.
UConn could miss their ace Santucci just due to injury. Has not pitched in game action in three weeks due to a rib injury. He reportedly started throwing bullpens again this past week during the ACC tournament.

Reaction Score
The link above still has us at 7. Seems if I were the top seed i would prefer to play at 1.
They just pushed the broadcast updates through:

Norman Regional hosted by Oklahoma

#2 Duke (39-18) vs. #3 UConn (32-23), 1 p.m., ESPN+

#1 Oklahoma (37-19) vs. #4 Oral Roberts (27-30-1), 7 p.m., ESPN+

Reaction Score

-> All-session tickets will go on sale to the public Tuesday at 10 a.m. CT via SoonerSports.com/tickets. Single session tickets will be available on game days at the ballpark ticket office.

Season-ticket holders and those that requested postseason tickets will be charged Tuesday in accordance with the confirmation email they received from the OU Ticket Office.

For NCAA post-season, seating on the outfield berm will require a ticket for entry into the area. Tents will be set up around the outfield and all seating in the berm tents will be first-come, first-served. Fans in this area will be allowed to bring in their own chairs, food and beverages. Restrooms and concessions will be provided.

Children 2 and older must have a ticket.<-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Weird season. We got off to a shaky start and then went on an incredible run to become regular season champions then lost two games in the BET.

I'm grateful we got in. The way I look at it, we're playing with house money.

Reaction Score

-> Duke (39-18) has four Connecticut players on its roster: Chad Knight (catcher, Westport), Ryan Higgins (pitcher, New Canaan), Roman DiGiacomo (catcher, Fairfield) and Jimmy Evans (outfielder, Norwalk). <-

Reaction Score
My take on this team is that it’s a good team. B B+. We are missing the Wallace Peterson Casparius Crawford Prado types. Guys who could carry it on their backs. Lights out guys.

We’ve had guys carry us for a time, but not the entire season. Up and down.

Let’s hope that everyone come out blazing and we get some guys to carry us. I’m confident that they put it together. Play to their potential.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
My take on this team is that it’s a good team. B B+. We are missing the Wallace Peterson Casparius Crawford Prado types. Guys who could carry it on their backs. Lights out guys.

We’ve had guys carry us for a time, but not the entire season. Up and down.

Let’s hope that everyone come out blazing and we get some guys to carry us. I’m confident that they put it together. Play to their potential.

Go Huskies.
To be honest I can name about 10 other UConn teams better than this team dating back to mid 2000s. This is one of the weaker teams Penders has brought to the tourney. HOWEVER, this team is still alive, those other teams aren’t. Im not too concerned about the bracket. To get where you want to go you must beat good/very good teams, no free lunches. If (big if) they can score some runs they may surprise some people. This is a team used to playing on the road and they won’t be intimidated. Biggest concern is how offense will fare against quality starting pitching. Could easily shut them down. The scar tissue from the brutal Feb/Mar road trips hopefully pay dividends now. Where there’s life there’s hope. And they have life. Interested to see how they play this weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-> All-session tickets will go on sale to the public Tuesday at 10 a.m. CT via SoonerSports.com/tickets. Single session tickets will be available on game days at the ballpark ticket office.

Season-ticket holders and those that requested postseason tickets will be charged Tuesday in accordance with the confirmation email they received from the OU Ticket Office.

For NCAA post-season, seating on the outfield berm will require a ticket for entry into the area. Tents will be set up around the outfield and all seating in the berm tents will be first-come, first-served. Fans in this area will be allowed to bring in their own chairs, food and beverages. Restrooms and concessions will be provided.

Children 2 and older must have a ticket.<-

Reaction Score

-> Duke (39-18) has four Connecticut players on its roster: Chad Knight (catcher, Westport), Ryan Higgins (pitcher, New Canaan), Roman DiGiacomo (catcher, Fairfield) and Jimmy Evans (outfielder, Norwalk). <-

So they're an FCIAC team.
We get 2 games no matter what. If OK does it's thing worst case we play ORU and try to get to a 3rd game. But my philosophy is use what you have as long as game 1 is close. Go for the W.

Reaction Score

Passed ball <<

-> UConn’s overall resume proved to be worthy of an NCAA tournament bid.

The Huskies rolled to a Big East regular season championship, winning every series while finishing with 17 league victories. They played a demanding, travel-heavy non conference schedule that sometimes required road trips to Florida, California (twice) and Alabama.

Their reputation as a quality program also worked in their favor.

“Our stature nationally is better than it was in 2006,” Penders said. “I think people know us, they know the Hook C across the country now. But I don’t want to take anything away from this team when I say that. I really do believe we earned it. … We had four home series, that was it, all year. … It’s been an arduous road. Our schedule was not for the faint of heart. I think we weathered the storm.” <-

Reaction Score
Also looks like they have a kid from Stamford on the roster that I assume is redshirting. Surprisingly large Fairfield County contingent on the team.

It’s been touched on before but it’s always felt like the top FCIAC kids would prefer to go ACC instead of UConn. Could be wrong, but it feels like we do a better job of keeping talent from the greater Hartford area in Storrs compared to FCIAC and SCC players.

Good for Jimmy; he played with my youngest brother and was always a great kid. Whip-quick hands. Never saw a fastball he couldn’t get in front of. I knew he was at Tufts but didn’t realize he’d grad-transferred up to D-I and Duke.

Dad is also one of the nicest guys ever. Funnily enough, he knew Pascal Chukwu’s host family well, and it was from him I heard that he was likely going to PC. I think sharing that nugget was the first thing I ever posted on the boneyard some 11 years ago, trying to be cool lol

Let’s go beat all those relocated Yankees and shock the world in true UConn fashion!!

Reaction Score
Any other year, I would have loved our draw. This year, I don't have the confidence, but who knows. That is why they play the game! Congrats to Coach Penders for 6 in a row. Let's win this regional!
I think it was, given how close we were to the line, a favorable draw. I’m not sure it will matter much to this year’s team, but it’s more like the draw from 2 years ago, without a great team, than last year’s.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Penders and the boys. I was pretty sure the 3-9 start would doom our Huskies but they held it together and got in. A pretty major accomplishment. I think our recent success as a program helped here.

This is a clean slate. Let go Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET