Men - UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Late to the party, but phew and thank you.

Jimmy Fallon Ok GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score

-> Duke (39-18) has four Connecticut players on its roster: Chad Knight (catcher, Westport), Ryan Higgins (pitcher, New Canaan), Roman DiGiacomo (catcher, Fairfield) and Jimmy Evans (outfielder, Norwalk). <-

Also looks like they have a kid from Stamford on the roster that I assume is redshirting. Surprisingly large Fairfield County contingent on the team.

It’s been touched on before but it’s always felt like the top FCIAC kids would prefer to go ACC instead of UConn. Could be wrong, but it feels like we do a better job of keeping talent from the greater Hartford area in Storrs compared to FCIAC and SCC players.

Good for Jimmy; he played with my youngest brother and was always a great kid. Whip-quick hands. Never saw a fastball he couldn’t get in front of. I knew he was at Tufts but didn’t realize he’d grad-transferred up to D-I and Duke.

Dad is also one of the nicest guys ever. Funnily enough, he knew Pascal Chukwu’s host family well, and it was from him I heard that he was likely going to PC. I think sharing that nugget was the first thing I ever posted on the boneyard some 11 years ago, trying to be cool lol

Let’s go beat all those relocated Yankees and shock the world in true UConn fashion!!
Yes Nick we have discussed it. Thought AJ Mazzilli would have turned the tide for FCIAC recruiting but it never did. Casparius came back home but hasn’t mattered. To be fair I have zero clue how much time UConn spends recruiting down there. Maryland also very successful in FCIAC. Huge untapped opportunity.

Reaction Score
Not for anything, but all of Duke’s pitchers with games started have low innings pitched totals compared to Uconn. They all sit around 50 inng pitched. I know by this article that the closer has “starter” innings, but I think that can bode well if they can get to him ( not like TT last year).

Also noticed that quite a few of Santucci’s starts have come pitching on dirt/clay mounds(If what I read on Wikipedia re using AA facility for their wknd games at Duke) is accurate. I’d think a turf mound plays different but then again…I’m assuming. I just don’t wanna see these quick low pitch count, stress free innings and it’s the 5th and their down 4-5 runs and Santucci is sitting at 65 pitches. Easier said then done of course.

Reaction Score
Not for anything, but all of Duke’s pitchers with games started have low innings pitched totals compared to Uconn. They all sit around 50 inng pitched. I know by this article that the closer has “starter” innings, but I think that can bode well if they can get to him ( not like TT last year).

Also noticed that quite a few of Santucci’s starts have come pitching on dirt/clay mounds(If what I read on Wikipedia re using AA facility for their wknd games at Duke) is accurate. I’d think a turf mound plays different but then again…I’m assuming. I just don’t wanna see these quick low pitch count, stress free innings and it’s the 5th and their down 4-5 runs and Santucci is sitting at 65 pitches. Easier said then done of course.
Santucci just started throwing bullpens again this week. Not sure what his pitch count will be this weekend but even when he's healthy he was a 5 inning guy. Not pitching in a month, I'm not sure how effective he'll be and if he can throw more than 70-80 pitches. Kids going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick in July so I'm sure they will be careful with him. If he even starts against UConn.

Reaction Score
Any word on Schild’s availability for the tournament? Unless it’s already been reported he’s out and I missed it.

Reaction Score

-> Kendall Rogers

Toughest Regional: Norman. Not only did the Sooners not get a top-eight national seed, but they drew one of the hottest teams in college baseball in Duke — a team that should’ve probably hosted an NCAA Regional. On top of that, UConn is once again solid this season and is always a tough out, and of course, there’s Oral Roberts. Don’t look too hard at ORU’s RPI. This team has already beaten the Sooners this season and has plenty of players back from last year’s Omaha club. <-

Reaction Score

I figured this and I sincerely hope Cooke goes out and pitches great but I’m not a fan of Cooke getting the start even though I know he’s pitching the best he has since the USC game 3 years ago. Maybe Cooke has some history against some of these Duke players or obviously more to it. Either way I’m rooting for him and the team to get the win.

Reaction Score
I figured this and I sincerely hope Cooke goes out and pitches great but I’m not a fan of Cooke getting the start even though I know he’s pitching the best he has since the USC game 3 years ago. Maybe Cooke has some history against some of these Duke players or obviously more to it. Either way I’m rooting for him and the team to get the win.
I would pitch cookie against the worst fastball hitting team they play which also plays into Squigs facing the best fastball hitting team at that regional. It complements each other. To be honest I don’t know if that is Duke? OU? But they should have the analytics that provides the answer.

To be effective cookie needs to : 1) have good location with the fastball and 2) throw breaking stuff for strikes. If these don’t happen a good fastball hitting team can get to him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would pitch cookie against the worst fastball hitting team they play which also plays into Squigs facing the best fastball hitting team at that regional. It complements each other. To be honest I don’t know if that is Duke? OU? But they should have the analytics that provides the answer.

To be effective cookie needs to : 1) have good location with the fastball and 2) throw breaking stuff for strikes. If these don’t happen a good fastball hitting team can get to him.
I like Quigley opening a series and he seems to pitch to that. I don’t think you can remain loyal to smallball or Pendersball but yet rely on mainly analytics to make a call on ur starter in the opening game of the tournament after watching them play 60 games already. I’m not against analytics at all, but an aid not a vote imo.

I hope the leash is short on Cooke to protect against that big inning and burning him for the rest of the regional. If he’s getting in trouble early, i hope their not cautious in doing so, he can still help them the next day or so depending on pitches.

Reaction Score
I like Quigley opening a series and he seems to pitch to that. I don’t think you can remain loyal to smallball or Pendersball but yet rely on mainly analytics to make a call on ur starter in the opening game of the tournament after watching them play 60 games already. I’m not against analytics at all, but an aid not a vote imo.

I hope the leash is short on Cooke to protect against that big inning and burning him for the rest of the regional. If he’s getting in trouble early, i hope their not cautious in doing so, he can still help them the next day or so depending on pitches.
A series yes I hear ya completely. But this isn’t a series. You’re not playing a 3 game set against the same team. So needs to be more matchup driven (analytics play a bigger role) given they don’t have a standout ace. Realistically must get the first game. Matchup matters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A series yes I hear ya completely. But this isn’t a series. You’re not playing a 3 game set against the same team. So needs to be more matchup driven (analytics play a bigger role) given they don’t have a standout ace. Realistically must get the first game. Matchup matters.
I realize it’s not a series and yes matchups matter but I don’t believe numbers alone should make the call. Cooke is pitching well but he’s also probably the highest risk of all their pitchers on the roster, regardless of analytics, given the importance of winning game one my hope is the coaching staff isn’t hesitant to pull him earlier rather then later, that’s all. I think Cooke’s leash has been too long at times throughout his career. Make no mistake, I’m rooting for him to pitch a gem.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know what the thought process was and, if the plan was to save better pitchers for games two and three (if that is what the staff is doing) it wouldn't be the worst approach.

That said, from what we've seen this year, we can't be fully confident that any of our starters will without question give us what we need from him but we also know any of them can look like a #1 starter for a good team.

I'll take my chances, especially as we easily could have been dealt a worse hand.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I like the decision. If Ian is on, and I think he will be, he can handle just about any lineup. If not, Van Emon or 2nd tier guys pitch out the rest of the game and we move onto Game 2

Reaction Score

Simply SAD that not a single regional gets to be played in the northern portion of the country. The weather excuse this time of year is mute. The game was created in Cooperstown NY and there remains the hall of fame.
The popularity of the NY Yankees and the Boston Red Sox has a very large fan base in New England alone... I believe a regional in our area would draw well.

Reaction Score
I like the decision. If Ian is on, and I think he will be, he can handle just about any lineup. If not, Van Emon or 2nd tier guys pitch out the rest of the game and we move onto Game 2
My hope is Cooke pitches well and they win. It’s not on him alone, I personally would have liked to see Quigley or Coe get the ball in Game 1. Personal opinions don’t matter outside of fandom and that’s all I’m doing. Making an unexpected run to the Supers is all I’m focusing on. I don’t care how they get there.

Reaction Score
Simply SAD that not a single regional gets to be played in the northern portion of the country. The weather excuse this time of year is mute. The game was created in Cooperstown NY and there remains the hall of fame.
The popularity of the NY Yankees and the Boston Red Sox has a very large fan base in New England alone... I believe a regional in our area would draw well.
True. Now how to get a Regional to Storrs ( or anywhere in NE) is the difficult part. I agree, I think it’ll be an easy sell across the state.

Reaction Score
Huh? No one theorizes that the Northeast doesn’t get regionals because of the weather. The Northeast doesn’t get regionals because regionals largely go to the 16 highest seeded teams that have a stadium capable of hosting. The one time we hosted in Norwich, they frankly did us a favor having us as a 2 seed in the region just to get playoff games in the NOrtheast.

It’s fine if you think they should have a criteria closer to the men’s hoop tournament than the women’s. Many do. But making stuff up doesn’t help any argument.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If there was any chance that they could fill stadiums for these games under a format similar to the men's basketball tournament (sites preselected well in advance) they would do this.

I doubt that if they held a subregional in for example Pawtucket (Paw Sox home) and had say Oklahoma, Duke, Indiana and Stetson participate, there would be very disappointing turnouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom