UConn In Discussions With ACC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn In Discussions With ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i for one still believe 18 is the final answer and it wont happen for years until another contract shift.

sec gives mizzu to the b10
b10 lets psu go

sec+tex/tt/tcu(good mk over baylor)/ok/okst
b10+mizzu/kan/kst/ist/nd. they stop at 16 for now.
acc+ uconn/ruty/wvu/psu
pac+ byu/bsu/sdsu/unr/unlv/haw

big country= lville/cincy/usf/ucf/ecu/smiss/tulane/uab/baylor/uh/smu/marsh/temple.....

I'm imagining the laughter that would draw on a Pac Ten message board. Or the thought of the Big Ten voluntarily letting go of Penn State to take Iowa State and Kansas State. Just for starters.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Or NBC incentivizes the BE to raid the ACC, helping ACC teams get out of their below-market ESPN contract.

Yes, this contract could become an auction of BE teams, but it also could become an auction of ACC teams. The Big 12 still wants to go to 12 and may have to based on the various deals it has made. The SEC and B1G will be investigating their options.

If NBC does get a NBE/NACC, then they could cut seriously into ESPN's franchise and negotiate for much bigger cable fees themselves.

From UConn's point of view, it would be better to bring the ACC teams we want to associate with into our conference and negotiate a new deal, than to join them in their old deal. I'm assuming the schools you like are the UNC/UVa/Md/Duke/VaTech/BC/Cuse/Pitt tobacco road and northern schools.

Only works if we dumped the BB schools and didn't bring in the FB onlies. No one associated with any of the AS schools could pull that off, today. In 2008 maybe.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm imagining the laughter that would draw on a Pac Ten message board. Or the thought of the Big Ten voluntarily letting go of Penn State to take Iowa State and Kansas State. Just for starters.

i know i know.

Reaction Score
Only works if we dumped the BB schools and didn't bring in the FB onlies. No one associated with any of the AS schools could pull that off, today. In 2008 maybe.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

This. And there is no "dumping" the basketball schools. That has been negotiated before they allowed football expansion.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Screw Fishy and his faerie dust. Pixie dust is where it's at and if we had some this whole situation would be done and finished already.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even this board with its addiction to fairy dust and magically delicious television contracts cannot create a realistic scenario where the Big East is preferable to least of the five major conferences. Actually, even most of the fantasy land scenarios aren't attractive enough.

Well, of course you are correct Fishy...except that these "fantasy land scenarios" sure seem to be coming true before our eyes.

NBC coming close to ESPN offer that was turned down? - check
NBC bettering the ESPN offer that was turned down? - check
NBC being in the same neighborhood as the ACC deal? -check
NBC bettering the ACC deal? -check
The ACC offering UConn without ND? -check.

Now all that is based upon the rumors that are floating around, but there has been a perception change recently. As the #clapharder crowd predicted, all the BE had to do was stay together. UConn should absolutely look at ACC membership if offered (and that supposed interest is based upon the thinnest possible basis - disappearing comments to a blog) but we should also absolutely weigh our options to make sure that we don't jump from a patched ship into a sinking one.

CL82

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, if we went to the ACC for less money and less control over Tier 3 rights, we might just find FSU/Clemson/UNC/NC State/Va etc leaving for B12/SEC/B1G and getting stuck with the wrong answers to all your questions, and less money. I think the conversation would take a lot more than one hour. If the ACC wasn't hamstrung by a bad contract, it would be an easy decision, but the ACC got unlucky.

Yep.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Well, of course you are correct Fishy...except that these "fantasy land scenarios" sure seem to be coming true before our eyes.

Someone let me know when even one of those things actually happens.

Reaction Score

Now all that is based upon the rumors that are floating around, but there has been a perception change recently. As the #clapharder crowd predicted, all the BE had to do was stay together. UConn should absolutely look at ACC membership if offered (and that supposed interest is based upon the thinnest possible basis - disappearing comments to a blog) but we should also absolutely weigh our options to make sure that we don't jump from a patched ship into a sinking one.

I assume you know that you've checked five boxes where (i) none of them has happened yet, and (ii) four of them simply are different ways of phrasing the same one thing that hasn't happened yet? But for that, it was damn persuasive!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

The ACC has actually offered??!? You must be psychic.

CL82

Reaction Score
I understand your analysis. I remain firmly convinced that the NNBE contract would have to be light years ahead of the ACC's contract for UConn to even consider turning the ACC down.

If 2 or 4 ACC schools leave for the SEC/Big XII, I still think what would be left in the ACC would be better than staying in the NNBE.

And, if the Big East contract is that far ahead of the ACC contract, ESPN isn't going to let a minor player drive rights for all of college sports through the roof. They will incentivize their conference partners to raid the Big East again until NBC reduces its offer.

Except that in order to "incentivize" them they'd have to up pay more for their rights which would in turn drive rights for all of college sports through the roof.
ESPN’s maneuver room may be limited. It is a widely held belief that they are the hand behind conference realignment and whoever is left on the outside looking in will undoubtedly use the information that is already out there to file suit. ESPN should be concerned about the discovery process that will focus on the company and its conference partners.

CL82

Reaction Score
The ACC has actually offered??!? You must be psychic.

First rule of interpretation of text - keep reading:
UConn should absolutely look at ACC membership if offered (and that supposed interest is based upon the thinnest possible basis - disappearing comments to a blog) but we should also absolutely weigh our options to make sure that we don't jump from a patched ship into a sinking one.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-lots of nbe hating(espn power 5 blah blah)
-nbe gets a commish and gear up for a contract
-nbc wants to be a player and must pay up to do so to make the product competitive in the cf world
-gene leaves before it happens...
-espn wont let nbc get to that. knows that uconn and lville are whats left with bball schools staying
-espn can spin uconn and lville to power 5 confs and the bballs will split
-uconn/lville and prob ruty and cincy are on the move
-the bball onlys can add a10 and other teams then go to espn for a deal. espn gets winter programs and both are happy.
-espn then creates(helps) a acc big east challenge type deal
-fball leftovers form a big country conf all sports conf. and go to nbc for 10mil a team type numbers. they are 6th best and far off now.
east-temple/army/navy/ecu/usf/ucf/memphis/tulane/smiss/uab
west-smu/uh/tulsa/bsu/sdsu/byu//fresno/unr/unlv
-espn gives big east more $$ for getting there tney to phili(middle of sju/nova/gtown)
-espn puts acc tney week in msg

Reaction Score
1. Which group of schools does more for UConn's academic reputation and standing?

First of all, UConn controls it's own academic reputation and standing, and UConn is a large, public, state affiliated university, and is much more similar to other large public, state universities than private colleges. Considering the mix of schools in both the Big East and ACC? The question is a wash. The stigma of a Duke diploma, vs. a UConn diploma, is no different than a Georgetown diploma and a UConn diploma, and Duke football and Georgetown football is a wash.

2. Which group of schools involves less total travel?

Again, negligible. The only difference is in MODE of travel, and cost, not travel time. Flying to Dallas, or FLorida, takes less time than driving to North Carolina. Cost? REmains to be seen if there is a significant difference in travel costs. Boise and San Diego, involve minimal cost, and time, as those are only football travel, and not every year - not entire athletic departments.

3. Which group of schools has bigger stadium and fanbases?

Well, again - a wash. Fan bases? SMU? Houston? Boise? Big fan bases.

4. Which group of schools has more national following and prestige?

I only have four letters for this.

5. Which group of schools (with UConn either way) is likely to have a better basketball conference?

The Big East. No question.

6. Which group of schools is currently in favor with the other power conferences and has an Orange Bowl tie in?

In favor? Four letters again. As far as the orange bowl tie in? the current arrangement, is exactly the same as it's been in the entire 21 year existence of the Big East conference. Nothing's changed.

You think it has, because of the power of four letters.

So - in summation - the conference of universities, that share common goals, and allegiance in achieving the goals, and has the most potential for the University of Connecticut to maximize it's exposure and growth....is where the University of Connecticut should be....

and when you look at it like that.

ACC sucks. It did then, it does now, it will in the future forever suck.

Reaction Score
I like the ACC simply for the fact that we can play our old BE friends in football, UNC and Duke in basketball and have an Orage Bowl lock in the the division winner. I also like heading down South for FB games, lots of airports and easy travel.

Reaction Score
1. Which group of schools does more for UConn's academic reputation and standing?

First of all, UConn controls it's own academic reputation and standing, and UConn is a large, public, state affiliated university, and is much more similar to other large public, state universities than private colleges. Considering the mix of schools in both the Big East and ACC? The question is a wash. The stigma of a Duke diploma, vs. a UConn diploma, is no different than a Georgetown diploma and a UConn diploma, and Duke football and Georgetown football is a wash.

2. Which group of schools involves less total travel?

Again, negligible. The only difference is in MODE of travel, and cost, not travel time. Flying to Dallas, or FLorida, takes less time than driving to North Carolina. Cost? REmains to be seen if there is a significant difference in travel costs. Boise and San Diego, involve minimal cost, and time, as those are only football travel, and not every year - not entire athletic departments.

3. Which group of schools has bigger stadium and fanbases?

Well, again - a wash. Fan bases? SMU? Houston? Boise? Big fan bases.

4. Which group of schools has more national following and prestige?

I only have four letters for this.

5. Which group of schools (with UConn either way) is likely to have a better basketball conference?

The Big East. No question.

6. Which group of schools is currently in favor with the other power conferences and has an Orange Bowl tie in?

In favor? Four letters again. As far as the orange bowl tie in? the current arrangement, is exactly the same as it's been in the entire 21 year existence of the Big East conference. Nothing's changed.

You think it has, because of the power of four letters.

So - in summation - the conference of universities, that share common goals, and allegiance in achieving the goals, and has the most potential for the University of Connecticut to maximize it's exposure and growth....is where the University of Connecticut should be....

and when you look at it like that.

ACC sucks. It did then, it does now, it will in the future forever suck.

With all due respect, that is so ridiculous that no more need be said.

(If we may be going to the ACC, then I need to start paraphrasing Ricky Bobby more.)

Reaction Score
A few million dollars less from ESPN than NBC and their less-watched NBC Sports Network (where most games would be) and a seat at the table with the coming playoff structure would be worth it. Being left out of the playoff would be a complete killer, no matter how much $ NBC threw out. Not to mention nnnACC basketball would probably rival the NBA and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause in the ACC/ESPN contract to renegotiate if there was further realignment.

CL82

Reaction Score
Someone let me know when even one of those things actually happens.

They are no more, and no less, real than UConn have the chance to move to the "least of the power 5 conferences." It's all speculation right now. The change is that the we've gone from the speculation being the about the death of the conference and UConn playing football as an independent and scrambling to get games, to the BE being offered big boy money and UConn getting an ACC invite. None of it puts a dollar in the bank for the university but you have you like the trend. As we've noted time and again on this board, the Big East's product on the field isn't nearly as bad as has been portrayed. The perception of the league's fortunes is on an uptick. It is worth noting as fan. No worries though, I'd be happy to let you know how it all shakes out.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If the ACC was smart, they'd just offer UConn and Rutgers and go to two 8 team pods. Renegotiate with ESPN (again), raise the exit fee and be done with it. You'd have a 16 team eastern powerhouse of a conference that can set the standard as a multisport conference.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, that is so ridiculous that no more need be said.

(If we may be going to the ACC, then I need to start paraphrasing Ricky Bobby more.)

All kidding aside BL, in the intercollegiate landscape, moving forward, and as both an academic and athletic institution, the University of Connecticut has a hell of a lot more in common with our current partners, than we do with any of the ACC membership. Not only that, with our current partnership, the University of Connecticut stands as a respected member of the group, and not a red-headed stepchild.

The reality of the Big East conference moving forward will be plain to see in coming months. It seems that in the last days of summer here, there are those that are still pining for the loss of Syracuse. It is a painful loss, to lose a partner like that, but life goes on, and UConn is in an infinitely better position for the future moving forward, than being shackled to espn for another 20 years.

THe ACC in the 2010's has quickly become the Big East of the 2000s with a quick turn of events around the four letter from Bristol.

Been there - done that. I've stood by my post all along. I'd rather be independant, than go to the ACC, until the Big East finally got the priorities right.

Reaction Score
flying pig.jpg

Flying Pig, Madison Square Garden, Roger Waters 2006

Reaction Score
If the ACC was smart, they'd just offer UConn and Rutgers and go to two 8 team pods. Renegotiate with ESPN (again), raise the exit fee and be done with it. You'd have a 16 team eastern powerhouse of a conference that can set the standard as a multisport conference.

If the Big East had been smart all along, the ACC would be the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom