Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Take it for what it's worth.
This is a tweet from a WVU fan:
MHver3@MHver3
Connecticut has been in heavy discussions with The ACC using Cuse as a liaison.

My source still has great connections with the BigEast so since B12 expansion is moving along at a snails pace I give u more BE news.

NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront

$16 million yearly for all sports. $11 mil for fb only.

Set amount. Not graduated. 12 years.

In order for ESPN to get the BigEast they will have to pay more than ACC.

Connecticut has been in heavy discussions with The ACC using Cuse as a liaison.

Unsure if any other teams are talking to ACC.

BYU likes $11 million number. As does air force. Expect them to join by the end of the year.

NBC to require a Grant of Rights.

Loss of BE basketball for espn could really increase B12 market penetration btw

Exposure will be great for the Big East.

NBC has the power to deny the ACC any future meaningful expansion.

IF this is true (make the "if" as big as you possibly can in your minds), then why would the contract stay at 16 mil. / 11 mil. with the additions of BYU and ?? Unless this "source" is saying that NBC is already factoring in their membership as a prerequisite to the 16 million figure. Also, as Chin Diesel already mentioned, if we keep our Tier 3 rights (SNY, etc.), isn't that better than the 17 mil that the ACC is getting?? With the presence of BYU and in the west, which would keep Cincy and Louisville in the east, I really really like this conference. The money would be just as good as the ACC, and we would be with a network that would promote the hell out of us...

....but remember the size of the large "if" in all of our minds......that is one big f$#^ing "if"....

Reaction Score
I don't buy these rumors at all, but here is why UCONN can't turn down an ACC invite if one were on the table:

What would this boards reaction be if Susan turned down the ACC and the ACC instead invited Louisville and Rutgers and they accepted? Would Susan still have a job the following week? In order to turn down the ACC we would need some type of guarantee that none of the other schools are going to leave and I don't see how that is possible. If the GOR gives us that security then Aresco needs to get everyone to sign the GOR.

Reaction Score
$16million plus tier 3 rights in a confernce with BYU and AFA? Sign me up now.

Two Texas schools, two Florida schools, plus Salt Lake City and San Diego. Yup, I can handle it. Would you rather fly to Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Salt Lake City and San Dog or fly to NC three times a year. I guess since I don't live near the northeast games against Syracuse or Pitt don't matter to me. And as much as I'd like to play BC, now that UMass is BCS level Uconn and Umass can marginalize BCU.

And being on a network that can provide games all day long. Yuuuppp.

I don't ever want to be in the ACC. If the B1G calls, I'm there in 10 minutes.
10 MINUTES? Are you on your coffee break?:D

Reaction Score
I cannot wait for actual football games to begin. So tired of all teh conference realignment crap. 2 more days....2....more....days.......

You really think it will stop?

Reaction Score
Only problem is that that the Doofus had WV as a 'done deal' to the SEC last year.

Then FSU and Clemson were a 'done deal' to the Big12 this Summer.

He has become a laughingstock even on the WV Scout board and that is tough to do on the board of the 153rd ranked academic college in the US..
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I can't escape the Irony with these key words: Observer-Doofus-laughingstock. And I'll add Pot-Kettle-Black.;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn gets $16MM a year, not graduated, and holds onto Tier 3 rights, we should stay in the Big East. The ACC will get raided at some point during its next contract. It has the most attractive properties and the cheapest exit fees of any league.

I'd have to crunch the numbers (not sure what the timing is on the ACC deal) but 16 upfront is likely to be better deal than the ACC when you PV the cash stream and that's before you add in the Tier 3 rights. If the BE goes to NBC ACC occupies our previous (cruddy) timeslots which will affect their viewership numbers and thus the value of their future contract.

UConn should be in contact with the ACC. It is by no means certain that we should jump though.

That said, my usual source (my neighbor's dog, Sam) tells me that UConn is on the verge of signing a deal worth $22.5M a year, to start, on forming the UCONN (University of Connecticut Original National Network) cable station. Maybe we should hold out for that. Sure he has been routinely wrong before, but that only means that he's due.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would hope they are.

Btw, if true, $16M while maintaining tier 3 rights is acceptable as an in hand offer. The final number would be higher as there is zero, let me repeat, zero chance NBC actually gave the BE their top offer.

I doubt it is true, unless someone at NBC is fired over this. No professional would ever let that get out except as misdirection, which any other pro would recognize immediately.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Yep.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I can't escape the Irony with these key words: Observer-Doofus-laughingstock. And I'll add Pot-Kettle-Black.;)

Except for one tiny little detail. I have said from the beginning that no teams were leaving the ACC. The Doofus has said that just about every team in the ACC was leaving for the Big12; that WVU to the SEC was a 'done deal' etc.

One of us has been right.

Guess which one.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't buy these rumors at all, but here is why UCONN can't turn down an ACC invite if one were on the table:

What would this boards reaction be if Susan turned down the ACC and the ACC instead invited Louisville and Rutgers and they accepted? Would Susan still have a job the following week? In order to turn down the ACC we would need some type of guarantee that none of the other schools are going to leave and I don't see how that is possible. If the GOR gives us that security then Aresco needs to get everyone to sign the GOR.

So much this.^^^^

No BE team can be assured of the BE remaining at the table, size of the next contract aside. Even if FSU and Clemson left the pieces left would be the original BE plus the old ACC. That is better than the NNBE. The idea of 4x16 was dead once the B12 survived. With the Orange Bowls seat at the BCS table, the ACC isn't going anywhere and it's one-loss champ should be in the playoff mix every year.

If the B1G doesn't want us, we have to go, just as Syracuse had to go. The only BE team that didn't need to leave was BCU. It's their fault and will always be their fault.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

Reaction Score
The only BE team that didn't need to leave was BCU. It's their fault and will always be their fault.
:)

Reaction Score
If the B1G doesn't want us, we have to go, just as Syracuse had to go. The only BE team that didn't need to leave was BCU. It's their fault and will always be their fault. And, BCU sucked, sucks now, and will always and forever suck. Always and forever could be a very long time, but BCU will still be sucking.
Fixed it for you )

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Wait; is this coming from the Dude? I am not believing ANYTHING that comes from the WVU camp. Bear in mind that WVU fans despise both the ACC and Big East and literally have nothing better to do in Morgantown than to invent BS rumors on Twitter, then go to the message boards to read the rise their tweets get out of people.

We're not going anywhere...for now. I wouldn't be surprised if we are engaged in mind talks with the ACC, as we will be a candidate if they expand to 16...but they will not expand unless they are raided or are able to land Notre Dame.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've wanted out of NNBE but if it's flat $16 and BYU is in that is not an easy decision if everyone was staying. Can't risk loss of LV and RU, but if I know they are in - it's a very tough call.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd have to crunch the numbers (not sure what the timing is on the ACC deal) but 16 upfront is likely to be better deal than the ACC when you PV the cash stream and that's before you add in the Tier 3 rights. If the BE goes to NBC ACC occupies our previous (cruddy) timeslots which will affect their viewership numbers and thus the value of their future contract.

UConn should be in contact with the ACC. It is by no means certain that we should jump though.

That said, my usual source (my neighbor's dog, Sam) tells me that UConn is on the verge of signing a deal worth $22.5M a year, to start, on forming the UCONN (University of Connecticut Original National Network) cable station. Maybe we should hold out for that. Sure he has been routinely wrong before, but that only means that he's due.

I think you are right on the first point. As for the last, kidding aside, if the Big East schools keep their Tier 3 rights, UConn would take a significant financial hit to go to the ACC if the $16MM number is real. With a league the size of the Big East, there will be a LOT of Tier 3 content.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think you are right on the first point. As for the last, kidding aside, if the Big East schools keep their Tier 3 rights, UConn would take a significant financial hit to go to the ACC if the $16MM number is real. With a league the size of the Big East, there will be a LOT of Tier 3 content.

Of course the question is if UConn stays will Louisville or Rutgers go. That is part of what makes this such a tough call.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

One dollar a month UConn Tax on each of CTs cable subcribers will do the job--12 million a year plus the sale of rights to SNY and select marquee games to CBS and Fox.

Reaction Score
Not everything is about one contract. Even a long term one. So the ACC got screwed on the timing of what they signed. Tough cookies. Now, ask yourself this. Between the NACC and the NNBE:

1. Which group of schools does more for UConn's academic reputation and standing?
2. Which group of schools involves less total travel?
3. Which group of schools has bigger stadium and fanbases?
4. Which group of schools has more national following and prestige?
5. Which group of schools (with UConn either way) is likely to have a better basketball conference?
6. Which group of schools is currently in favor with the other power conferences and has an Orange Bowl tie in?

And then, when you answer all of those, which group of schools is likely to get a better TV contract down the road at some point when both leagues contracts come up at times of equal market leverage?

I hate the ACC as much as the next guy, and note that not once in the above list did I assume that the NNBE can't compete in football with the NACC on the field. But if you think that UConn would spend more than one hour discussing whether to turn down an ACC offer, you are mistaken.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Even this board with its addiction to fairy dust and magically delicious television contracts cannot create a realistic scenario where the Big East is preferable to least of the five major conferences. Actually, even most of the fantasy land scenarios aren't attractive enough.

pj

Reaction Score
Not everything is about one contract. Even a long term one. So the ACC got screwed on the timing of what they signed. Tough cookies. Now, ask yourself this. Between the NACC and the NNBE:

1. Which group of schools does more for UConn's academic reputation and standing?
5. Which group of schools (with UConn either way) is likely to have a better basketball conference?
6. Which group of schools is currently in favor with the other power conferences and has an Orange Bowl tie in?

And then, when you answer all of those, which group of schools is likely to get a better TV contract down the road at some point when both leagues contracts come up at times of equal market leverage?

I hate the ACC as much as the next guy, and note that not once in the above list did I assume that the NNBE can't compete in football with the NACC on the field. But if you think that UConn would spend more than one hour discussing whether to turn down an ACC offer, you are mistaken.

All good points BL, but at the same time, realignment is a continuing process and will probably occur several more times in the future -- perhaps at every media contract. There's something to be said for taking money and exposure now. If we get more exposure on NBC, more money due to Tier 3 rights and the backloaded ACC contract, and more exposure in recruiting territories like Texas and Florida with the NBE, it might be worth staying in the NBE for a limited term and then switching when the next round of contracts comes up. That would probably be the ACC, but we might find the B1G makes sense too.

I can't believe the current conference alignment will be stable. At the next contract point, schools will look for more geographically sensible arrangements.

Meanwhile, if we went to the ACC for less money and less control over Tier 3 rights, we might just find FSU/Clemson/UNC/NC State/Va etc leaving for B12/SEC/B1G and getting stuck with the wrong answers to all your questions, and less money. I think the conversation would take a lot more than one hour. If the ACC wasn't hamstrung by a bad contract, it would be an easy decision, but the ACC got unlucky.

Reaction Score
All good points BL, but at the same time, realignment is a continuing process and will probably occur several more times in the future -- perhaps at every media contract. There's something to be said for taking money and exposure now. If we get more exposure on NBC, more money due to Tier 3 rights and the backloaded ACC contract, and more exposure in recruiting territories like Texas and Florida with the NBE, it might be worth staying in the NBE for a limited term and then switching when the next round of contracts comes up. That would probably be the ACC, but we might find the B1G makes sense too.

I can't believe the current conference alignment will be stable. At the next contract point, schools will look for more geographically sensible arrangements.

Meanwhile, if we went to the ACC for less money and less control over Tier 3 rights, we might just find FSU/Clemson/UNC/NC State/Va etc leaving for B12/SEC/B1G and getting stuck with the wrong answers to all your questions, and less money. I think the conversation would take a lot more than one hour. If the ACC wasn't hamstrung by a bad contract, it would be an easy decision, but the ACC got unlucky.

I understand your analysis. I remain firmly convinced that the NNBE contract would have to be light years ahead of the ACC's contract for UConn to even consider turning the ACC down.

If 2 or 4 ACC schools leave for the SEC/Big XII, I still think what would be left in the ACC would be better than staying in the NNBE.

And, if the Big East contract is that far ahead of the ACC contract, ESPN isn't going to let a minor player drive rights for all of college sports through the roof. They will incentivize their conference partners to raid the Big East again until NBC reduces its offer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

1. ACC
2. ACC
3. Push. FSU and Clemson are bigger but the BE with BYU will be pretty big. Can't forget that BCU, WFU and Duke all have very small stadiums.
4. Push. Again, assuming BYU comes aboard, BYU carries a ton of weight as do Navy and AFA for national followings.
5. ACC but not by a ton. Uconn/UNC/Dook/Syracuse/Pitt/NCSU or Uconn/Louisville/Georgetown/Memphis/Villanova and Temple
6 ACC is in favor but I think that has a lot to do with fattening the slaughter.

pj

Reaction Score
I understand your analysis. I remain firmly convinced that the NNBE contract would have to be light years ahead of the ACC's contract for UConn to even consider turning the ACC down.

If 2 or 4 ACC schools leave for the SEC/Big XII, I still think what would be left in the ACC would be better than staying in the NNBE.

And, if the Big East contract is that far ahead of the ACC contract, ESPN isn't going to let a minor player drive rights for all of college sports through the roof. They will incentivize their conference partners to raid the Big East again until NBC reduces its offer.

Or NBC incentivizes the BE to raid the ACC, helping ACC teams get out of their below-market ESPN contract.

Yes, this contract could become an auction of BE teams, but it also could become an auction of ACC teams. The Big 12 still wants to go to 12 and may have to based on the various deals it has made. The SEC and B1G will be investigating their options.

If NBC does get a NBE/NACC, then they could cut seriously into ESPN's franchise and negotiate for much bigger cable fees themselves.

From UConn's point of view, it would be better to bring the ACC teams we want to associate with into our conference and negotiate a new deal, than to join them in their old deal. I'm assuming the schools you like are the UNC/UVa/Md/Duke/VaTech/BC/Cuse/Pitt tobacco road and northern schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom