UConn In Discussions With ACC? | The Boneyard

UConn In Discussions With ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take it for what it's worth.
This is a tweet from a WVU fan:
MHver3@MHver3
Connecticut has been in heavy discussions with The ACC using Cuse as a liaison.

My source still has great connections with the BigEast so since B12 expansion is moving along at a snails pace I give u more BE news.

NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront

$16 million yearly for all sports. $11 mil for fb only.

Set amount. Not graduated. 12 years.

In order for ESPN to get the BigEast they will have to pay more than ACC.

Unsure if any other teams are talking to ACC.

BYU likes $11 million number. As does air force. Expect them to join by the end of the year.

NBC to require a Grant of Rights.

Loss of BE basketball for espn could really increase B12 market penetration btw

Exposure will be great for the Big East.

NBC has the power to deny the ACC any future meaningful expansion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn gets $16MM a year, not graduated, and holds onto Tier 3 rights, we should stay in the Big East. The ACC will get raided at some point during its next contract. It has the most attractive properties and the cheapest exit fees of any league.

Reaction Score
I will believe it when we see it. But good bye Big East if true. No hard feelings, but Aresco came 10 years too late.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will believe it when we see it. But good bye Big East if true. No hard feelings, but Aresco came 10 years too late.

Yep. Let's take less money to go to a league that will be raided within 2 years. That would be a great move.

Reaction Score
Yep. Let's take less money to go to a league that will be raided within 2 years. That would be a great move.

It's a good thing you are not in charge. Because you make awful assumptions.

I'll take a watered down ACC over Temple and Memphis any day. The Big East will not endure anyways.

Reaction Score
My grandfather is a door greeter at Walmart. He told me he heard the shopping cart guy say Ace Hardware is buying out Walmart and John Madden will be the CEO.

Stay tuned...

Reaction Score
If UConn gets $16MM a year, not graduated, and holds onto Tier 3 rights, we should stay in the Big East. The ACC will get raided at some point during its next contract. It has the most attractive properties and the cheapest exit fees of any league.

Agreed. ACC is a bomb waiting to go off. The minute B12 wants to expand, they will look to ACC first for schools. If UCONN jump ship now, we might jump into something that's nothing like today.

We should wait to see what BE's new deal looks like before we jump. ESPN is trying to blow up the BE again using the ACC. We would be wise not jump at the first offer.

Reaction Score
We have a very well connected commissioner now. I wouldn't be concerned. Maybe he can persuade Delaney to take us into the B1G. :D

Reaction Score
My neighbor's grandfather's greataunt twice removed insists that Ollie Luck & WVA are trying to strongarm Bevo & the Sooners to inviting UConn, East Carolina, & Marshall to solidify penetration into the Northeast & Tobacco Road.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

My source still has great connections with the BigEast so since B12 expansion is moving along at a snails pace I give u more BE news.

NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront

BYU likes $11 million number. As does air force. Expect them to join by the end of the year.

I am so sick of hearing about us and the ACC. I really hope it never happens. If it does, I will be happy to still go to all the home games and as many away games as possible, but I really kind of like the NNBE, especially if BYU and Air Force join.

Reaction Score
This is just getting rediculous. Can we skip the next 20 years and just get to the North, East, South and West 16 team divisions? I have come to accept were playing in the NBE, and I'll accept it if we play in the ACC, but I think I woke up this morning and realized I am sick of the Football Conference Soap Opera.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3

These guys are usually full of crap but just for and giggles:

I could buy the scenario that the Cuse is acting as a liaison for UConn. They aren't stupid. UConn can anchor the northern tier of the ACC, help retake the NYC market, and hasten the end of the BE.

It also makes sense that NBC would want to partner ND and the BE. The numbers make sense, good FB money, good BB money and UConn would like it because they can still work on SNY-CT. Pulling in BYU would be a plus but for that money, I'd search for more western based all sports schools.

I'm not crazy about GORs, I'm not crazy about 12 year deals. I'd put a six year renegotiation clause in there.

The ACC isn't going anywhere. I don't think they'll lose a team in the next five years.

Reaction Score
Only problem is that that the Doofus had WV as a 'done deal' to the SEC last year.

Then FSU and Clemson were a 'done deal' to the Big12 this Summer.

He has become a laughingstock even on the WV Scout board and that is tough to do on the board of the 153rd ranked academic college in the US..

pj

Reaction Score

Not bad. When you account for the backloading of the ACC contract, this might be superior, especially if it leaves Tier 3 rights for the school.

pj

Reaction Score
ACC will be raided Tuesday

UConn will be invited next Tuesday

Take it FWIW

If FSU and Clemson leave, suddenly the ACC looks relatively unattractive. It may be the ACC teams should be invited to the Big East, to get out from under their ESPN/Raycom contract. Make a 26-team superconference with east and west subconferences and NBC bids $20 mn per team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would hope they are.

Btw, if true, $16M while maintaining tier 3 rights is acceptable as an in hand offer. The final number would be higher as there is zero, let me repeat, zero chance NBC actually gave the BE their top offer.

I doubt it is true, unless someone at NBC is fired over this. No professional would ever let that get out except as misdirection, which any other pro would recognize immediately.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
"NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront"

I'm sure ESPN would love to hear this since they have exclusive negotiating rights for 60 days. Not a chance the BE would be negotiating behind their back. Not a chance the BE would risk it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"NBC has (through discreet irish channels) given the BigEast there top dollar. Alas it doesn't beat the ACC per year avg. making more upfront"

I'm sure ESPN would love to hear this since they have exclusive negotiating rights for 60 days. Not a chance the BE would be negotiating behind their back. Not a chance the BE would risk it.

I believe the Irish are acting as a go between, but NBCs message to the BE would not be anything more than that they feel comfortable doing a deal that approaches the ACC in per team average but would prefer a more straight forward deal in terms and payouts.

Anyone could take that message an assume the rumor presented in the OP.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Agreed. ACC is a bomb waiting to go off. The minute B12 wants to expand, they will look to ACC first for schools. If UCONN jump ship now, we might jump into something that's nothing like today.

We should wait to see what BE's new deal looks like before we jump. ESPN is trying to blow up the BE again using the ACC. We would be wise not jump at the first offer.
Here's the real question, I think. Is being in a league with Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech better than being in one with Louisville, Rutgers Cincy, Memphis, Boise State, Houston? I'd assume that Florida State and Clemson would be the B-12 targets. But even if it were FSU and VaTech, I think the ACC would be preferable as a league. So I'd do it.

GG

Reaction Score
UCONN has to explore all options. I, for one, will be happy once the dust settles.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here's the real question, I think. Is being in a league with Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech better than being in one with Louisville, Rutgers Cincy, Memphis, Boise State, Houston? I'd assume that Florida State and Clemson would be the B-12 targets. But even if it were FSU and VaTech, I think the ACC would be preferable as a league. So I'd do it.
The answer to your question, from an overall perspective instead of a football-specific perspective, is yes. (And don't forget Maryland, another Mid-Atlantic public school in the ACC and Temple & Maemphuss, Taenuhsaee in the NNBE).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
In the words of Mike Francesa: WAITASEKENT! WAITASEKENT!

Are you saying FSU and Clemson have not left the ACC yet? I thought they were gone months ago, what did I miss?

Well, FSU and Clemson are just waiting for Maryland, Virginia and UNC and NCSt to join the B!G. That should happen any day now. Please try to keep up ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
$16million plus tier 3 rights in a confernce with BYU and AFA? Sign me up now.

Two Texas schools, two Florida schools, plus Salt Lake City and San Diego. Yup, I can handle it. Would you rather fly to Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Salt Lake City and San Dog or fly to NC three times a year. I guess since I don't live near the northeast games against Syracuse or Pitt don't matter to me. And as much as I'd like to play BC, now that UMass is BCS level Uconn and Umass can marginalize BCU.

And being on a network that can provide games all day long. Yuuuppp.

I don't ever want to be in the ACC. If the B1G calls, I'm there in 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom