UConn - Georgetown Post Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What a game against a physical team. Took Georgetown's early punch and then punch back and punched back hard.

All 5 starters in double figures. Excellent scoring balance. 23 assists on 32 made buckets.

Defense was like a blanket. KK was an absolute peat. She frustrated Kelsey Ransom the whole game. Ice play some real good defense. She is getting there. Q had a decent game. Both will be fine.

Nika had the look. Excellent game.

Reaction Score
What a strong performance against an overly physical team. I strongly dislike that kind of defense and play. Reminds me of UCF and others - when you are outmatched talent-wise, just try to beat the team up. I totally disagreed with Culmo's comment when they thought Ransom had 3 fouls in the 1st half - "You hate to see a great player get into foul trouble". Heck no. You hate to see a team try to beat up physically our UCONN players, so I was thrilled when Ransom got #4 at the end of Q3. Georgetown deserved way more fouls than they got, and Geno was right to be ballistic on the bench for most of the first half. Good for him.

Slow start as the team had to adjust to the physical play, got the lead up to 20 in the first half, gave 8 points of it back at halftime, then stormed out in Q3. Really the whole team was solid. But the rebounding - has to be a huge concern against teams who are big and/or fast and/or physical. Got slaughtered on the boards 44-27. On the flip side, TO's were crazy low so really solid on that. Had only 4 midway thru Q4. Ended up with 8.
  • I know they didn't do a lot on the stats-sheet, in the first 3 quarters, but Q and Ice played solid IMHO in spelling the post players and guards. I think the thing that stood out was that they played hard with very few mistakes. Can't ask for more in a game like this as they continue to try to find their scoring grooves... BTW that great defensive stop and time violation of Ice and Ashlyn double teaming and stopping G-town without fouling won't show up in the stats sheet, but again, solid play. And their scoring prowess really picked up in Q4 especially for Qadence.
  • Nika was just tremendous today. She's my POG. Yeah I know other scored more etc., but her poise and defense and dishes - that great pass to Paige when P was posting up - exemplified her play today.
  • Paige and Aaliyah did what the upper classmen were expected to do - play really well and adjust to the overly physical play. True leaders. I will say Aaliyah missed several point blank bunnies that she just can't afford to miss but still, that's nit picking.
  • The freshmen - both KK and Ash were tremendous yet again. KK's defense, and awesome drives to the basket really stood out, but Ash's scoring, especially in the first half, was great to watch. KK with rebounds and assists too - both of them are so good!
All the starters in double figures. I maintain the bench was solid. This was a great game to see the team fight - against a team who's play I do not like. BTW that 21-8 3rd quarter was awesome to see - Georgetown came out and drained a 3 right away and UCONN outscored them 21-5 the rest of the quarter. The odds-makers had UCONN by 27.5. Proved to be pretty accurate.
Uconn over the years hasn't done well against physical teams ---so coaches play them against their once weakness--physicality---Edwards, Nika, KK, Shades, ---have broken that mold. Even Brady got into the physical mentality, Q with her light frame took on some BIGs.
Great TEAM game--and TEAM gets to be more TEAM as the season progresses. Smiles all around, can it be more fun than that?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Not sure who did the center huddle "scream" last year, Caroline? Christyn Williams did it years ago. With Inès leading it, IMHO a lot of positives, regardless of her PT and all the other noise. That tells me that she likes being at UConn, and the team wants her to lead the cheer. Yeah, I'm rambling about a little thing, however I think it's an important message.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My pet peeve and it is really nitpicking. I believe both at the end of the first half and the game, the defense gave up 8 straight points. I know it's no big deal, but I believe Geno wants everyone to play defense as long as the clock is running. And at the same time, the UConn players on the court tried their best not to put the ball in the basket on offense to end the game. The way that the Hoyas ended the first half and then scored a 3 to start the 3rd quarter, I was kinda worried.
About the rest of the game...the top 7 players were excellent. They scored in many different ways and played excellent defense for most of the game (see above). As mentioned by the announcers, I think Qadence had the jitters on offense but made up for it with her tenacity and defense. Ice definitely played her best game, maybe not stat wise but by her overall contributions IMO.
An enjoyable game and another of @MJL243 's replays that I am looking forward to so that I can enjoy it again.

Reaction Score
What a great game. Is there any doubt that we are for real?All 5 starters in double figures and our defense was outstanding.Held Georgetown to single digits in 2nd and 3rd quarter. Now we need Q and Ice to step up and score more, and if they do, we will be OK. The future is looking good and the BE is ours for the taking. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!
My bad.It was only the 2nd quarter.But, the freshmen are acting like they are Seniors and still, will get even better. I believe Uconn will make the Final 4 and only God knows how good they will be. I pray that they will great. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By the way, it appears that Ashlynn has become enamored with Paige’s, “don’t bring that &$?! in here” shot blocking technique. In today’s game, Ashlynn swatted away several shots by Georgetown’s big forwards with some serious authority. :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think Qadence had the jitters on offense but made up for it with her tenacity and defense. Ice definitely played her best game, maybe not stat wise but by her overall contributions IMO.
Wondering if Q had the "home town" jitters with a whole lotta family and friends in the stands? After a few misses, she settled down and did some good stuff.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, 69th Birthday present from my Sons, Daughter-in-law and Grandson.

UConn played excellent as a TEAM. Solid offense and defence.

Couple of observations;
- Ash is the most abused player on the court regardless of Team. If she isn't covered in bruises, I would be amazed. She is a great game, and the most minutes. Highly recommend an ice bath.
- if KK ever stops playing BB, she could be a Track Star. She is FAST... Like lightning.
- Nika... 4 for 5 from 3... Nothing else to say

So happy to be at the game!

Reaction Score
They said Azzi was on the bench. Does anyone has a clip/screenshot of our other walking wounded during the game?

Reaction Score
I saw Jana and Aubrey... Didn't see Azzi...and only saw 1 set of crutches, but I was in next to last row of nosebleed seats.

Reaction Score
Ice made some more strides today. All in all, good D and effective blocking out. She didn't corral too many rebounds, but her box outs repeatedly made it possible for other Huskies to get the loose ball.

Love Q's confidence. She forced a few shots, but I'd much rather have to throttle a young player down, than try to rev them up.

Reaction Score
What a strong performance against an overly physical team. I strongly dislike that kind of defense and play. Reminds me of UCF and others - when you are outmatched talent-wise, just try to beat the team up. I totally disagreed with Culmo's comment when they thought Ransom had 3 fouls in the 1st half - "You hate to see a great player get into foul trouble". Heck no. You hate to see a team try to beat up physically our UCONN players, so I was thrilled when Ransom got #4 at the end of Q3. Georgetown deserved way more fouls than they got, and Geno was right to be ballistic on the bench for most of the first half. Good for him.

Slow start as the team had to adjust to the physical play, got the lead up to 20 in the first half, gave 8 points of it back at halftime, then stormed out in Q3. Really the whole team was solid. But the rebounding - has to be a huge concern against teams who are big and/or fast and/or physical. Got slaughtered on the boards 44-27. On the flip side, TO's were crazy low so really solid on that. Had only 4 midway thru Q4. Ended up with 8.
  • I know they didn't do a lot on the stats-sheet, in the first 3 quarters, but Q and Ice played solid IMHO in spelling the post players and guards. I think the thing that stood out was that they played hard with very few mistakes. Can't ask for more in a game like this as they continue to try to find their scoring grooves... BTW that great defensive stop and time violation of Ice and Ashlyn double teaming and stopping G-town without fouling won't show up in the stats sheet, but again, solid play. And their scoring prowess really picked up in Q4 especially for Qadence.
  • Nika was just tremendous today. She's my POG. Yeah I know other scored more etc., but her poise and defense and dishes - that great pass to Paige when P was posting up - exemplified her play today.
  • Paige and Aaliyah did what the upper classmen were expected to do - play really well and adjust to the overly physical play. True leaders. I will say Aaliyah missed several point blank bunnies that she just can't afford to miss but still, that's nit picking.
  • The freshmen - both KK and Ash were tremendous yet again. KK's defense, and awesome drives to the basket really stood out, but Ash's scoring, especially in the first half, was great to watch. KK with rebounds and assists too - both of them are so good!
All the starters in double figures. I maintain the bench was solid. This was a great game to see the team fight - against a team who's play I do not like. BTW that 21-8 3rd quarter was awesome to see - Georgetown came out and drained a 3 right away and UCONN outscored them 21-5 the rest of the quarter. The odds-makers had UCONN by 27.5. Proved to be pretty accurate.
Last year's team was not as functional as this year's. When called upon, these kids can score. That takes up some/most of the slack from their rebounding difficulties. If you can score, you have a good chance to win. How do other teams attack this team? With all the different abilities of these kids, makes it very hard to try and keep a star player out of the game. You can't help but love these kids. I would never feel they could not win a game if they had to. Spunk, skill, and they are all UConn dogs.....I like this team, they are a different team that we see very rarely. Small but absolutely atomic!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Azzi was there. KK is improving game by game...great job today. A tad too
much aggression on defense....leading to fouls. Shoot treys only late in the clock.
Looked zero like a frosh....more like a junior rapidly approaching 'senior-hood'

Reaction Score
Great win, Huskies! Also, way to be mentally tough and responding after Aubrey going down (still praying for good news). Some great production off the bench by Ice as well. Would love to see her score a little more, but defensively she is really coming into her own. Take some much needed rest and get ready for Providence on Wednesday!
Culmo said that Ice looks much more engaged out there
hopefully this is the turning point

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Interesting game today...watching UConn respond to yet another devastating injury to a key player. This team did not miss a beat...hitting their average of 83 points. They did this even though Georgetown holds their opponents to an average 49.5 points per game. UConn had balanced scoring with all starters hitting double figures. Incredibly, despite the physicality and defensive pressure of Georgetown, UConn only committed 8 turnovers...I hope this is a sign of what the future holds.

I was impressed with Ashlynn Shade's play as well as with all the freshmen in this game. Ashlynn was completely under control, she played incredible one-on-one defense, she got 1 steal and 2 blocks, and still contributed on the offensive end...with 16 points going 2 for 5 from three-point.

KK Arnold is like a magician with the basketball, turning on the jets, changing direction, finding the holes, and finishing her lay-ups. KK was extremely disruptive on defense getting 4 steals...and holding Ransom 3 points below her average.

Nika Muhl said it all in her post-game interview...she has been working her arse off practicing her three-point shot and it is paying off. Interestingly, she said it wasn't about the ball going in the basket but rather having the confidence to step up and shoot it. As far as I am concerned, I hope this becomes a regular occurrence because we need Nika to score... Great game from her today 14 points with 4 for 5 from three-point, 8 assists, and, 4 steals.

Qadence Samuels continues to improve...I keep hearing Geno say, "Her upside potential is incredible". Wonder what he sees for her? One thing for sure is he has given her the green light to shoot and Q certainly is not shy about shooting the basketball she took 10 shots in limited minutes. She was 0 for 4 from three-point and 3 for 10 from the floor for 6 points. When she starts hitting her shots more consistently she will be another double-figure threat.

Aaliyah continues to be that quiet leader who leads by example and hard play. Her 18 points and 6 rebounds with only 2 fouls is extremely important. We cannot afford to lose Aaliyah to fouls...she needs to be available at all times if UConn is going to be able to compete.

Ice continues to progress...she gave us some important minutes today. We will need Ice to be able to provide valuable minutes giving Aaliyah a break, or covering for her if she gets into foul trouble...which, brings me to my major concern with Ice...she is prone to foul...she will need to get that under control as we are just not deep enough in the front court. I would like to see Ice become a more consistent rebounder. I was surprised to see that UConn had 11 rebounds under their average. This is where the loss of Aubrey will be most noticed...her 6 plus rebounds per game (translates to 6 for us and 6 less for them) were something that UConn could count on. If Ice can make up for Aubrey's loss of 6 rebounds it will go a long way towards UConn making up for some of what Aubrey's absence means to this team. In this game, Georgetown out-rebounded UConn 44 to 27.

All of this above and I haven't even mentioned Paige Bueckers yet. Her stat line was impressive...she scored 15 points, got 4 rebounds had 5 assists, and 3 steals. She helped to get everybody involved in the game. She was solid knowing when to drive to the basket absorb the contact and get to the line. Her defense and ability to disrupt the opponent's offense are often overlooked.

Finally, Ines Bettencourt played some significant minutes today. She will be called upon going forward to give Nika, Ashlynn, or KK a rest. And, she will need to be ready to go if Nika or KK gets into foul trouble early.

One last observation...UConn assisted on 23 of 32 baskets. That is right up there with the legendary performances of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom