UConn - Georgetown Post Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Barring any unforeseen injuries, UConn should run the table in the Big East. UConn is clearly superior to the rest of the conference. The difference from the past 2 years is UConn has a healthy Paige that creates the disparity.

Looking ahead, the ND & SC will offer telling indicators of where UConn stands against other national standouts. I am looking forward to the Hannah Hidalgo/KK matchup. Those two head-to-head might leave skid marks on the court.

It is baby steps with Ice, but she's trending in the right direction. I liked seeing her paired with Aaliyah at times. Yes, the small lineup is a winner, but against the size & rebounding of ND & SC, Ice will need to play some pivotal minutes, especially with Aubrey unavailable. Hopefully, she'll get more comfortable in subsequent BE competition.

In retrospect, should we be surprised by Ashlynn? After all, she was a known quantity. She's so fundamentally sound, has an energizer bunny motor, and has the ability to score on all levels. She's helped minimize the loss of Azzi & the team's offensive flow is rolling with her in the lineup.
Interesting to compare Ash’s stats with Azzi’s. I’m not sure we’ve lost anything. Azzi was producing slightly more in offense but Ash is a much better defender.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My pet peeve and it is really nitpicking. I believe both at the end of the first half and the game, the defense gave up 8 straight points. I know it's no big deal, but I believe Geno wants everyone to play defense as long as the clock is running. And at the same time, the UConn players on the court tried their best not to put the ball in the basket on offense to end the game. The way that the Hoyas ended the first half and then scored a 3 to start the 3rd quarter, I was kinda worried.
About the rest of the game...the top 7 players were excellent. They scored in many different ways and played excellent defense for most of the game (see above). As mentioned by the announcers, I think Qadence had the jitters on offense but made up for it with her tenacity and defense. Ice definitely played her best game, maybe not stat wise but by her overall contributions IMO.
An enjoyable game and another of @MJL243 's replays that I am looking forward to so that I can enjoy it again.
The games on NYC are always replayed on NYC more than once, before the next game.

Reaction Score
I saw Jana and Aubrey... Didn't see Azzi...and only saw 1 set of crutches, but I was in next to last row of nosebleed seats.

Aubrey and Azzi were both there. Azzi did not sit on the bench because she had a large brace on her leg. She sat behind the bench. They talked about this before the game started.

aubrey and azzi.jpg

Reaction Score
Neither Taft nor JFK are buried at the Lincoln Memorial. Anyone who thinks that would fail Groucho's most famous question-- Who is buried on Grant's tomb? Both are actually buried at Arlington.
you definitely heard wrong. CD was speaking about presidents buried in Arlington. The only saw the Lincoln Memorial as they drove by it, as stated by Ashlyn.

Reaction Score
Thank you, MJL243. You've got your turnaround down to about 3 hours after final buzzer. Everyone appreciates your spending your Sunday afternoon making UConn fans happy. And that goes doubly for night games, where you're obviously up 'til midnight doing your wizardry.

Reaction Score
A heart-warming game from start to finish!
Our girls gave as good as they got!
All players stepped up in 1st game since Aubrey's injury!
I know they were shattered mentally by the injury on top of all the others that have occurred!
They are trying so hard to succeed, not really newsworthy, being coached by our great coaching staff!
They can be very proud of themselves for their constant hustle and fight!
More rebounds will come as they get used to the new player rotation!
UConn (I did it right HuskyNan!) play with huge hearts!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It should be an interesting morning with the various experts trying to figure where UConn should be rated in the polls.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swerve.
I grew up in the town in Massachusetts where the paper for our money is made. The only place that it is manufactured.
Swerve over.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing offers an interesting tour. They print our currency and previously printed our stamps. Watching the machinery crank out pallets of sheets of Benjamins is very cool!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It should be an interesting morning with the various experts trying to figure where UConn should be rated in the polls.

We continue to play well, but all the teams in front of us in the AP poll have either 0 losses or 1 loss. The only team of the 11 ahead of us that lost this week, I believe, was NC State, which lost at the buzzer to Virginia Tech. We may pick up some points, but I think we may still be #12.

Reaction Score
NM was spectacular. She must have had 3-4 steals to go with her 8 assists (should have been roughly 10-11) and 14 pts. She also turned GT over a few times for which she will not get credit for a steal (ex the tie up she had). Maybe somebody can update us on her shooting percentage from 3. She must be closing in on 40%.

Ash and KK had some great moments. Both have been terrific, hopefully that continues with the increase in competition. The game seems to have slowed down for both of them as well. They make good decisions and don't seem stressed or out of control which says a lot for freshies.

Ash is a real scorer from just about anywhere on the court. Can she still get her shot off against say, SC?

KK has a great handle. Her dribble is compact, purposeful and at full speed. She can really breakdown defenses and create opps for her teammates. She also makes good decisions. I'm really impressed with both of the decision making and headiness on defense as well. I think her athletic skill translates well against better competition. Seems like they were both well coached in HS or maybe had a parent as a coach as well.

Q is still figuring it all out but when she does, it could be huge. She can play and I really loved seeing her attack the rim instead of just settling for the 3 pt shot.

I know some people are high on the progress shown from Ice. I hope the learning curve gets a lot steeper soon.

Reaction Score
Reading everyone's reactions about Nika reminds me of something Geno said back in 2000 about Sue Bird. It's not the same situation (I know, I know!) but I just got reminded of that. Post the regular season win over Tennessee at Tennessee, where Bird scored a career high 25 points, he said: "Whenever you see her have to do as much as she did, that's an indication that the other guys aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing".

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
One of the coolest plays that I saw and didn't expect was when Ashlynn backed down an opponent in the post, turned and scored. Wow, this kid has the entire scoring package. Didn't expect to see that. Love her.

Reaction Score
Aubrey and Azzi were both there. Azzi did not sit on the bench because she had a large brace on her leg. She sat behind the bench. They talked about this before the game started.

OK...I get it. Someone else asked ... I was one row from the roof, and behind the team's

View attachment 94857
Sorry... My reply earlier was that I did not see Azzi. I was 1

View attachment 94857
OK...I get it.

Reaction Score
Nika has done that a few times in the past few games this year.
She should be doing that at least 2-3 times a game. It makes her defender have to back off of her and creates more room for the 3. It is also a much higher percentage shot.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t have time to read the whole thread so this is possibly repetitious. Even with Aubrey and now without, these kids are amazing. A team missing two hs all-Americans, 2 post players and now a talented defender, and relying a lot on first year players. just rolled over 3 pretty good teams. I’d guess not many programs could pull that off.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The biggest asset for the freshmen besides scoring ability is confidence to play their game without reservations. I believe they have that, so the sky is the limit for these unbelievable young ladies.

Reaction Score
nice to see such positive vibes in the BY. :p superior analysis!
All it takes is one "off" game and we will be right back to the Land of Doom and Gloom. :rolleyes:

Even with 3 4 5 starters out and bench down to 2.5 reliable players, they should beat the rest of the Big East teams by 20+ point a night. Enjoy it while it lasts because the reality check is going to be South Carolina. If Edwards gets in foul trouble Cardoza could go for a 30/30.

Lockdown, stifling, pressure defense + turnovers <10 per game + no more stupid reaching fouls = HOPE. The team can score enough to offset the lack of rebounding if it gets enough easy transition baskets.

Another point to consider: Geno wants to hoist 30-35 three-pointers a game. But he also needs the guards to crash the boards. You can't do both simultaneously very well. Seems like he's resigned himself to prioritizing speed and transition vs. 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
One of the coolest plays that I saw and didn't expect was when Ashlynn backed down an opponent in the post, turned and scored. Wow, this kid has the entire scoring package. Didn't expect to see that. Love her.
Larry Bird-like

Reaction Score
NM was spectacular. She must have had 3-4 steals to go with her 8 assists (should have been roughly 10-11) and 14 pts. She also turned GT over a few times for which she will not get credit for a steal (ex the tie up she had). Maybe somebody can update us on her shooting percentage from 3. She must be closing in on 40%.

Ash and KK had some great moments. Both have been terrific, hopefully that continues with the increase in competition. The game seems to have slowed down for both of them as well. They make good decisions and don't seem stressed or out of control which says a lot for freshies.

Ash is a real scorer from just about anywhere on the court. Can she still get her shot off against say, SC?

KK has a great handle. Her dribble is compact, purposeful and at full speed. She can really breakdown defenses and create opps for her teammates. She also makes good decisions. I'm really impressed with both of the decision making and headiness on defense as well. I think her athletic skill translates well against better competition. Seems like they were both well coached in HS or maybe had a parent as a coach as well.

Q is still figuring it all out but when she does, it could be huge. She can play and I really loved seeing her attack the rim instead of just settling for the 3 pt shot.

I know some people are high on the progress shown from Ice. I hope the learning curve gets a lot steeper soon.
"Some people" include Geno given his most recent comments about Ice. This makes me more optimistic about her trajectory.

Reaction Score
All it takes is one "off" game and we will be right back to the Land of Doom and Gloom. :rolleyes:

Even with 3 4 5 starters out and bench down to 2.5 reliable players, they should beat the rest of the Big East teams by 20+ point a night. Enjoy it while it lasts because the reality check is going to be South Carolina. If Edwards gets in foul trouble Cardoza could go for a 30/30.

Lockdown, stifling, pressure defense + turnovers <10 per game + no more stupid reaching fouls = HOPE. The team can score enough to offset the lack of rebounding if it gets enough easy transition baskets.

Another point to consider: Geno wants to hoist 30-35 three-pointers a game. But he also needs the guards to crash the boards. You can't do both simultaneously very well. Seems like he's resigned himself to prioritizing speed and transition vs. 3 pointers.
I've heard him talk about 30 three pointers before and that is a recipe for a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom