UConn - Georgetown Post Game | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a strong performance against an overly physical team. I strongly dislike that kind of defense and play. Reminds me of UCF and others - when you are outmatched talent-wise, just try to beat the team up. I totally disagreed with Culmo's comment when they thought Ransom had 3 fouls in the 1st half - "You hate to see a great player get into foul trouble". Heck no. You hate to see a team try to beat up physically our UCONN players, so I was thrilled when Ransom got #4 at the end of Q3. Georgetown deserved way more fouls than they got, and Geno was right to be ballistic on the bench for most of the first half. Good for him.

Slow start as the team had to adjust to the physical play, got the lead up to 20 in the first half, gave 8 points of it back at halftime, then stormed out in Q3. Really the whole team was solid. But the rebounding - has to be a huge concern against teams who are big and/or fast and/or physical. Got slaughtered on the boards 44-27. On the flip side, TO's were crazy low so really solid on that. Had only 4 midway thru Q4. Ended up with 8.
  • I know they didn't do a lot on the stats-sheet, in the first 3 quarters, but Q and Ice played solid IMHO in spelling the post players and guards. I think the thing that stood out was that they played hard with very few mistakes. Can't ask for more in a game like this as they continue to try to find their scoring grooves... BTW that great defensive stop and time violation of Ice and Ashlyn double teaming and stopping G-town without fouling won't show up in the stats sheet, but again, solid play. And their scoring prowess really picked up in Q4 especially for Qadence.
  • Nika was just tremendous today. She's my POG. Yeah I know other scored more etc., but her poise and defense and dishes - that great pass to Paige when P was posting up - exemplified her play today.
  • Paige and Aaliyah did what the upper classmen were expected to do - play really well and adjust to the overly physical play. True leaders. I will say Aaliyah missed several point blank bunnies that she just can't afford to miss but still, that's nit picking.
  • The freshmen - both KK and Ash were tremendous yet again. KK's defense, and awesome drives to the basket really stood out, but Ash's scoring, especially in the first half, was great to watch. KK with rebounds and assists too - both of them are so good!
All the starters in double figures. I maintain the bench was solid. This was a great game to see the team fight - against a team who's play I do not like. BTW that 21-8 3rd quarter was awesome to see - Georgetown came out and drained a 3 right away and UCONN outscored them 21-5 the rest of the quarter. The odds-makers had UCONN by 27.5. Proved to be pretty accurate.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 1.25.37 PM.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The Big East is much improved this year for sure. However, UCONN has now beaten the top 3 remaining teams by 28 or more, 2 of which were road games.

This is still UCONN's conference to lose and this is a top 10 team. The offense, as usual, was excellent but the defense was incredible.

Reaction Score
Great win, Huskies! Also, way to be mentally tough and responding after Aubrey going down (still praying for good news). Some great production off the bench by Ice as well. Would love to see her score a little more, but defensively she is really coming into her own. Take some much needed rest and get ready for Providence on Wednesday!

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game (can't as I'm overseas) but the one thing that looked a bit concerning to me was bench point contribution, which was very low (single digit low).
On the flip side, as everyone keeps saying - the freshmen. Wow. Really impressive. And also, 2 blocks for Shade? that's neat.

Reaction Score
What a great game. Is there any doubt that we are for real?All 5 starters in double figures and our defense was outstanding.Held Georgetown to single digits in 2nd and 3rd quarter. Now we need Q and Ice to step up and score more, and if they do, we will be OK. The future is looking good and the BE is ours for the taking. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Thought this might end up being a close game at first, but once UConn took the lead they held on. The starting 5 all did a fantastic job, but everyone did well. KK’s steal and score buzzer beater at the end of Q1 was a particular favorite play of mine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on today’s game:
  • Despite the Huskies’ outstanding recent stretch, no UConn fan felt particularly good following Aubrey’s injury. We all hurt for Aubrey, and wonder just how the Huskies will make up for the loss of such a critical player. Wonderful to see Aubrey at the game today supporting her teammates who earned a nice win on the road over a good Georgetown team…..lifting up all of us in the process.
  • I felt that both Ice and Q played solidly on defense. The next step needs to be for each of them to become better integrated on offense whether scoring, rebounding, passing, setting screens, etc.
  • So I am confused. Nika had 8 assists and shot 4/5 from the arc. Is Nika a point guard or a shooting guard? :confused:
  • The starting 5 was outstanding again today, with all 5 players in double figures. Paige & Aaliyah set the tone once again. Ashlynn & KK are playing like seasoned veterans displaying both talent and poise. My only concern is that no other Husky scored a point until Q knocked down a baseline jumper 4 minutes into the 4th qtr, taking the pressure of her substantial personal cheering section. :rolleyes:
  • Other than a 4-minute stretch during the 2nd qtr, UConn’s defense was suffocating. Relentless defense that leads to transition scoring will set the tone for UConn for the remainder of this season.

Reaction Score
What a strong performance against an overly physical team. I strongly dislike that kind of defense and play. Reminds me of UCF and others - when you are outmatched talent-wise, just try to beat the team up. I totally disagreed with Culmo's comment when they thought Ransom had 3 fouls in the 1st half - "You hate to see a great player get into foul trouble". Heck no. You hate to see a team try to beat up physically our UCONN players, so I was thrilled when Ransom got #4 at the end of Q3. Georgetown deserved way more fouls than they got, and Geno was right to be ballistic on the bench for most of the first half. Good for him.

Slow start as the team had to adjust to the physical play, got the lead up to 20 in the first half, gave 8 points of it back at halftime, then stormed out in Q3. Really the whole team was solid. But the rebounding - has to be a huge concern against teams who are big and/or fast and/or physical. Got slaughtered on the boards 44-27. On the flip side, TO's were crazy low so really solid on that. Had only 4 midway thru Q4. Ended up with 8.
  • I know they didn't do a lot on the stats-sheet, in the first 3 quarters, but Q and Ice played solid IMHO in spelling the post players and guards. I think the thing that stood out was that they played hard with very few mistakes. Can't ask for more in a game like this as they continue to try to find their scoring grooves... BTW that great defensive stop and time violation of Ice and Ashlyn double teaming and stopping G-town without fouling won't show up in the stats sheet, but again, solid play. And their scoring prowess really picked up in Q4 especially for Qadence.
  • Nika was just tremendous today. She's my POG. Yeah I know other scored more etc., but her poise and defense and dishes - that great pass to Paige when P was posting up - exemplified her play today.
  • Paige and Aaliyah did what the upper classmen were expected to do - play really well and adjust to the overly physical play. True leaders. I will say Aaliyah missed several point blank bunnies that she just can't afford to miss but still, that's nit picking.
  • The freshmen - both KK and Ash were tremendous yet again. KK's defense, and awesome drives to the basket really stood out, but Ash's scoring, especially in the first half, was great to watch. KK with rebounds and assists too - both of them are so good!
All the starters in double figures. I maintain the bench was solid. This was a great game to see the team fight - against a team who's play I do not like. BTW that 21-8 3rd quarter was awesome to see - Georgetown came out and drained a 3 right away and UCONN outscored them 21-5 the rest of the quarter. The odds-makers had UCONN by 27.5. Proved to be pretty accurate.
Nika was super great---my player of the Game is the most unheralded STAR to every enter Uconn--Shades! She scores, she a good (i'd say great) point guard, passes better than well, DEFENDs with best of them---She is the most well rounded player on the team!!!
Geno warmed my heart by playing all the Freshmen at once. ICE needed that. She lightens up with more PT. Deberry, can score, shot extremely well from all over the floor in HS. Don't expect her to enter a game an score--her comfort level is LOW.
As Brady, gets more comfort--Deberry could. But we'll never know because she won't score big nor will she defend the post bit--Confidence is required. I like Deberry.

Q Samuels, is tying too hard--this kind of PT is great for all the Freshmen--Uconns future is in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom