UConn - Georgetown Post Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Azzi sat in the stands behind the bench. Walked unaided but with a limp. Aubrey on crutches and not using that leg
Yup. She's got a brace on (per announcers) and it's safer for her to be away from any crazy out of bounds stuff, as she's approximately at the 4 week post-op, and this is when the ligament graft is the most delicate and weakest.

Reaction Score
By the way, it appears that Ashlynn has become enamored with Paige’s, “don’t bring that &$?! in here” shot blocking technique. In today’s game, Ashlynn swatted away several shots by Georgetown’s big forwards with some serious authority. :)
That makes sense
Love Ashlynn’s energy and smarts
she will always wat h learn and improve
Really enjoy her game and’s watching her grow

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Shade played all but 2 minutes. She’s so fit and smart about how she uses her energy. I enjoy watching her play.

Edwards could have scored all day.

It’s great fun to watch the freshman grow into the game and gain confidence.
This surprised me, as she was in the flow of the game and I had no idea she played almost the whole game. KK had the 2nd highest minutes at 30, Ice had 22, and Q 16, which bodes well for future games. IMHO Geno is bringing the latter two along patiently from a playing time perspective so they're not drinking from a firehose, so to speak.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Players good with that sort of stuff. Enjoy learning different things. I said We should go to the treasury to see where money is made.

Debbie: CD - always good about using bball to educate
Swerve.
I grew up in the town in Massachusetts where the paper for our money is made. The only place that it is manufactured.
Swerve over.

Reaction Score
Wondering if Q had the "home town" jitters with a whole lotta family and friends in the stands? After a few misses, she settled down and did some good stuff.
GOOD POINT!! It will be wonderful to see how she performs during her "senior" game... no jitters then!

Reaction Score
I was at the game today but for only the first half. I didn’t see Azzi on the bench.

It was like a UCF game or previously a WVU game, very physical. And Geno was pissed at the officiating: “i hate coming down here as they always call it this way.” He had to be constrained by his assistants at that point.

I was particularly watching Q. She needs time with the first team for defensive integration as well as for offense. At one point, Q missed a double team with Paige just because she didn’t catch Paige’s action. But she is very quick and a capable boarder. Certainly not a replacement for Aubrey yet but a competent option as Q gets more reps.

Georgetown played some nice high-low sets. Our back line defense missed Aubrey then. And they put great pressure on Paige with “27” year-old Mya Bembrey from SHU helping in relief.

The crowd was less than last year but the Hoyas were certainly better.

Reaction Score
Interesting game today...watching UConn respond to yet another devastating injury to a key player. This team did not miss a beat...hitting their average of 83 points. They did this even though Georgetown holds their opponents to an average 49.5 points per game. UConn had balanced scoring with all starters hitting double figures. Incredibly, despite the physicality and defensive pressure of Georgetown, UConn only committed 8 turnovers...I hope this is a sign of what the future holds.

I was impressed with Ashlynn Shade's play as well as with all the freshmen in this game. Ashlynn was completely under control, she played incredible one-on-one defense, she got 1 steal and 2 blocks, and still contributed on the offensive end...with 16 points going 2 for 5 from three-point.

KK Arnold is like a magician with the basketball, turning on the jets, changing direction, finding the holes, and finishing her lay-ups. KK was extremely disruptive on defense getting 4 steals...and holding Ransom 3 points below her average.

Nika Muhl said it all in her post-game interview...she has been working her arse off practicing her three-point shot and it is paying off. Interestingly, she said it wasn't about the ball going in the basket but rather having the confidence to step up and shoot it. As far as I am concerned, I hope this becomes a regular occurrence because we need Nika to score... Great game from her today 14 points with 4 for 5 from three-point, 8 assists, and, 4 steals.

Qadence Samuels continues to improve...I keep hearing Geno say, "Her upside potential is incredible". Wonder what he sees for her? One thing for sure is he has given her the green light to shoot and Q certainly is not shy about shooting the basketball she took 10 shots in limited minutes. She was 0 for 4 from three-point and 3 for 10 from the floor for 6 points. When she starts hitting her shots more consistently she will be another double-figure threat.

Aaliyah continues to be that quiet leader who leads by example and hard play. Her 18 points and 6 rebounds with only 2 fouls is extremely important. We cannot afford to lose Aaliyah to fouls...she needs to be available at all times if UConn is going to be able to compete.

Ice continues to progress...she gave us some important minutes today. We will need Ice to be able to provide valuable minutes giving Aaliyah a break, or covering for her if she gets into foul trouble...which, brings me to my major concern with Ice...she is prone to foul...she will need to get that under control as we are just not deep enough in the front court. I would like to see Ice become a more consistent rebounder. I was surprised to see that UConn had 11 rebounds under their average. This is where the loss of Aubrey will be most noticed...her 6 plus rebounds per game (translates to 6 for us and 6 less for them) were something that UConn could count on. If Ice can make up for Aubrey's loss of 6 rebounds it will go a long way towards UConn making up for some of what Aubrey's absence means to this team. In this game, Georgetown out-rebounded UConn 44 to 27.

All of this above and I haven't even mentioned Paige Bueckers yet. Her stat line was impressive...she scored 15 points, got 4 rebounds had 5 assists, and 3 steals. She helped to get everybody involved in the game. She was solid knowing when to drive to the basket absorb the contact and get to the line. Her defense and ability to disrupt the opponent's offense are often overlooked.

Finally, Ines Bettencourt played some significant minutes today. She will be called upon going forward to give Nika, Ashlynn, or KK a rest. And, she will need to be ready to go if Nika or KK gets into foul trouble early.

One last observation...UConn assisted on 23 of 32 baskets. That is right up there with the legendary performances of the past.
Note that ICE played 21 minutes.... and that the HOYAS had the team height advantage. IMO this game was
another step for ICE in getting the "reps" she needs to move to the next level. But, watch those fouls!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thoughts:

I thought that Georgetown had a good thing going, early on, feeding the post...which they either mistakenly got away from or were taken out of it by UConn's defensive pressure. I'll have to review the game gain to decide which...

Regarding the physicality; UConn gave as good as they got; more or less throughout, not a characteristic of our past teams...We may not look like it, but we're a pretty physical team as well.

What this game foreshadows for our opponents is that our absence in height is a serious shortcoming on the rebounding front and in defending the post...The top 10-teams should do better at handling our double and tripling-teaming the post and with more capable outside shooting, it's clear the we will be vulnerable...unless...

Ice continues to develop and if we can have a 2 semi-bigs in at the same time...which Geno used successfully this afternoon, that will negate a lot of the height advantage that teams will throw at us.

In the meantime, its hard to stop KK's mastery of getting inside without drawing a charge...Can't remember seeing that before at UConn...different from Mo, who had her own tricks...But Mo only displayed that move once in her 1st season; KK is putting it on display every game. Great stuff.

Geno has really earned his salary this year and the kids are amazingly flexible at adopting new roles

Nika a scorer...Who would've thunk that?

Reaction Score
Great game. We definitely miss Aubrey’s bench points and rebounds. Only complaint is they got absolutely crushed on the boards

Reaction Score
Wondering if Q had the "home town" jitters with a whole lotta family and friends in the stands? After a few misses, she settled down and did some good stuff.
Without a doubt. It's very difficult to focus with the pressure. Notice the first shot she hit from the corner was one she didn't have time to think about.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Not sure who did the center huddle "scream" last year, Caroline? Christyn Williams did it years ago. With Inès leading it, IMHO a lot of positives, regardless of her PT and all the other noise. That tells me that she likes being at UConn, and the team wants her to lead the cheer. Yeah, I'm rambling about a little thing, however I think it's an important message.
Agree, and would add that any contribution is in fact contributing to the teams success.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on today’s game:
  • Despite the Huskies’ outstanding recent stretch, no UConn fan felt particularly good following Aubrey’s injury. We all hurt for Aubrey, and wonder just how the Huskies will make up for the loss of such a critical player. Wonderful to see Aubrey at the game today supporting her teammates who earned a nice win on the road over a good Georgetown team…..lifting up all of us in the process.
  • I felt that both Ice and Q played solidly on defense. The next step needs to be for each of them to become better integrated on offense whether scoring, rebounding, passing, setting screens, etc.
  • So I am confused. Nika had 8 assists and shot 4/5 from the arc. Is Nika a point guard or a shooting guard? :confused:
  • The starting 5 was outstanding again today, with all 5 players in double figures. Paige & Aaliyah set the tone once again. Ashlynn & KK are playing like seasoned veterans displaying both talent and poise. My only concern is that no other Husky scored a point until Q knocked down a baseline jumper 4 minutes into the 4th qtr, taking the pressure of her substantial personal cheering section. :rolleyes:
  • Other than a 4-minute stretch during the 2nd qtr, UConn’s defense was suffocating. Relentless defense that leads to transition scoring will set the tone for UConn for the remainder of this season.
Nika is a Point Shooting guard. Paige is a Point Forward. KK is just a plain old Point. Ashlynn is.......

Reaction Score
We were at the game, but didn't see Azzi since our seats were directly above the seats behind the bench.

It was a great team game with everyone involved. Glad to see that Paige and Aaliyah got some rest in the 4th Q. There will be other games they'll have to play more minutes so keep their minutes down when possible.

Where would we be without the freshmen? Ash and KK were phenomenal. Q will be fine once she gets the defense down.

Reaction Score
I thought Nika's defense was near perfect today. She switched on one possession 3 straight times to stay with the ball and her close outs when the player picked up her dribble was really exceptional. It locked the player down, wasted time off the clock, and took Georgetown out of any semblance of an offense as her man was stuck trying to get rid of the ball. She seemed even more energetic than usual today and some of her assists were textbook. Just a great all around game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom