UConn - Georgetown Post Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown Post Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game (can't as I'm overseas) but the one thing that looked a bit concerning to me was bench point contribution, which was very low (single digit low).
On the flip side, as everyone keeps saying - the freshmen. Wow. Really impressive. And also, 2 blocks for Shade? that's neat.
IMO, the bench's scoring was not needed today. Overall, the bench played well but a lot of their contributions are not reflected in the box score. Ice only had two rebounds, but she played well to contain GT bigs, and was especially effective when she teamed up with AE. Q was obviously amped up because it was a home game so some of her shots were ill advised, but understandable. A couple of her shots were rim outs, so she would have ended up in double digits if they had fallen. Ines was steady and did what she had to do which was spell the starters to give them rest. Amari, well, no comment, but by the time she came in the game was already decided.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the game (can't as I'm overseas) but the one thing that looked a bit concerning to me was bench point contribution, which was very low (single digit low).
On the flip side, as everyone keeps saying - the freshmen. Wow. Really impressive. And also, 2 blocks for Shade? that's neat.
The bench are starters now!

Reaction Score
Nika was super great---my player of the Game is the most unheralded STAR to every enter Uconn--Shades! She scores, she a good (i'd say great) point guard, passes better than well, DEFENDs with best of them---She is the most well rounded player on the team!!!
Geno warmed my heart by playing all the Freshmen at once. ICE needed that. She lightens up with more PT. Deberry, can score, shot extremely well from all over the floor in HS. Don't expect her to enter a game an score--her comfort level is LOW.
As Brady, gets more comfort--Deberry could. But we'll never know because she won't score big nor will she defend the post bit--Confidence is required. I like Deberry.

Q Samuels, is tying too hard--this kind of PT is great for all the Freshmen--Uconns future is in good hands.
Q was at home in front of several family members, so it was understandable. The most important thing was, she kept shooting without hesitation. I can't recall a time where we had three freshman who all shoot with confidence, especially Ash and Q. Remember, Aubrey and Nika in past seasons and Ice this season have all had bouts of indecisiveness and hesitation to shoot, which often led to empty possessions or TOs. I love the freshies' confidence.

Reaction Score
Great game by everybody today, the chemistry and rhythm is really falling in place. Another huge challenge with Aubrey's injury but these guys are fighters and are coached by the best in the business so my money is on them coming up with some answers. Her rebounds, ability to attack the basket and disruptive defense are not going to be replaced by one player but will have to shared among several. Hopeful, as we all are, that her injury is not as bad as it first appeared it might be.

Nika had one of her best games this season. She now sits at 514 assists trailing Maya by 30 to put herself inside the top ten career assists leaders. I really think this season she has had to make the hardest adjustment of anyone on the team, it's been a struggle early on for her but she's getting it done and then some. Pre-last season Geno said she would have to make big adjustment in order for the team and herself to excel. We all know how that worked out for her. No surprise that she said she has been 'working her ass off' in regards to her three point shooting. Over her entire UConn career it's never been a question as to her work ethic - it's just always been a pleasant surprise to see what she has added to excel at!

Reaction Score
That makes sense
Love Ashlynn’s energy and smarts
she will always wat h learn and improve
Really enjoy her game and’s watching her grow
Glad to read that you enjoyed the game. The team has been a lot of fun to watch lately. You're still enjoying the team even if they might not win it all too?

Reaction Score
Barring any unforeseen injuries, UConn should run the table in the Big East. UConn is clearly superior to the rest of the conference. The difference from the past 2 years is UConn has a healthy Paige that creates the disparity.

Looking ahead, the ND & SC will offer telling indicators of where UConn stands against other national standouts. I am looking forward to the Hannah Hidalgo/KK matchup. Those two head-to-head might leave skid marks on the court.

It is baby steps with Ice, but she's trending in the right direction. I liked seeing her paired with Aaliyah at times. Yes, the small lineup is a winner, but against the size & rebounding of ND & SC, Ice will need to play some pivotal minutes, especially with Aubrey unavailable. Hopefully, she'll get more comfortable in subsequent BE competition.

In retrospect, should we be surprised by Ashlynn? After all, she was a known quantity. She's so fundamentally sound, has an energizer bunny motor, and has the ability to score on all levels. She's helped minimize the loss of Azzi & the team's offensive flow is rolling with her in the lineup.

PvP

Reaction Score
They said Azzi was on the bench. Does anyone has a clip/screenshot of our other walking wounded during the game?
Azzi was at the game but not on the bench. There was a shot of her in the stands. The reason was just to make sure she was not in harm's way immediately on the side of the court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Barring any unforeseen injuries, UConn should run the table in the Big East. UConn is clearly superior to the rest of the conference. The difference from the past 2 years is UConn has a healthy Paige that creates the disparity.

Looking ahead, the ND & SC will offer telling indicators of where UConn stands against other national standouts. I am looking forward to the Hannah Hidalgo/KK matchup. Those two head-to-head might leave skid marks on the court.

It is baby steps with Ice, but she's trending in the right direction. I liked seeing her paired with Aaliyah at times. Yes, the small lineup is a winner, but against the size & rebounding of ND & SC, Ice will need to play some pivotal minutes, especially with Aubrey unavailable. Hopefully, she'll get more comfortable in subsequent BE competition.

In retrospect, should we be surprised by Ashlynn? After all, she was a known quantity. She's so fundamentally sound, has an energizer bunny motor, and has the ability to score on all levels. She's helped minimize the loss of Azzi & the team's offensive flow is rolling with her in the lineup.
Right now ND may be the only team in the country dealing with more health issues than UConn. Today, for the first time ever, the Irish lost at home against UNC. ND suited up just 7 players, including 1 walk-on, and played only 6.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I loving what this team is doing g right now being short handed but SCar is gonna kill us on the boards they just throw up shots and rebound and put up point black bunnies
nice to see such positive vibes in the BY. :p superior analysis!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Right now ND may be the only team in the country dealing with more health issues than UConn. Today, for the first time ever, the Irish lost at home against UNC. ND suited up just 7 players, including 1 walk-on, and played only 6.
They’ve had 4 players - different combinations of players - out for the entire season. Sonia Citron just came back but now Maddy Westbeld is out with a concussion

Reaction Score
Still have less injuries than UConn with 3-4 players out. UConn has 5 out with likely season ending injuries. All 5 likely contributors. UConn just has more players.

Reaction Score
Was there a sign on Ice, "hit me, bump me, whatever you do, you won't get a foul call?" I normally expect UConn to have to put up with physical play but this was beyond normal. Being a bit sarcastic, but it seemed like every time Edwards or Ice got knocked to the floor, the foul was on them.

Reaction Score
Q was off in her 3 point shots today, but I think she is improving in 3 areas:
hustle, rebounding, and fast breaks.
Q still looks lost on the floor at times, but she is slowly picking up the offense and defense. She also needs to learn the difference between a bad shot and good shot. Hopefully by time the Big East tournament rolls around she’ll be up to speed.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am guessing there is a corresponding reduction in turnovers, since any pass that is not "turned over" has a good chance of going into the basket.
Indeed.

C84DE88E-74A2-4902-B0CB-B841B7425D4B.jpeg

Reaction Score
At 8:15 in the 3rd quarter, Nika hit a pull-up jump shot off the dribble just inside the foul line, and it looked smooth. This is the very thing many of us thought was the missing part of her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom