UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 36 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carnac , I think the key to some of your questions is if this Class can stay together all four(4) years. If they can temper their egos and work hard and earn their Playing time this Class can rival some of the best ever at UConn. When I think about the Class of Stewie /Moriah/Tuck and others , this Class is not far behind in potential and talent. The 'Key' to the Stewie class was that they stayed all 4 yrs. They kept ALL that talent together. Let's hope that this 4-headed monster can do the same.
I also hope this class will stay together and achieve great things at UConn, but I think it's something of a stretch to compare them to the Big 3. Stewie, Mo & Tuck were ranked 1,2 & 6 their senior yr in HS. This class is ranked 1, 13, 16 & 29. While I'm not necessarily married to HS rankings as the ultimate determinant on how well a player will do in college, the 2012 class was the best ever recruited IMO by ranking and by success on the court once they arrived in Storrs.

Another factor is that this class is entirely made up of guards & wings, while the 2012 class had 2 dominant front court players to go along with an incredibly talented pg. In that sense, the 2012 class was more balanced.

With that said, UConn will be loaded with talent for the next several years, and if Geno and his staff can pursuade players like ONO, Brunelle & Boston to matriculate to Storrs, the 2017 class will leave Storrs in 4 years with tremendous success in their own right.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No politics, please. Even 'politics' by way of no-poitics. You are not going to get away with having slipped this in while our heads were turned. I'm going to report YOU. Clever guy/girl!
I'm catching a lot of heat from Teddy Roosevelt fans..... :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand Carnac's "Maya didn't look like the Maya we know today on her first day on campus." If that isn't a Captain Obvious remark, then I guess nothing is. It'd be pretty sad and pathetic if a WNBA All-Star hadn't progressed since the first day of her freshman year in college. I'm trying to understand who is playing at exactly the same level that they did ten years before when they were still maturing? If you haven't improved and evolved, then you have no business being any kind of athlete. Maya Moore is obviously far better and more skilled than she was as a college freshman but she was a pretty awesome basketball player when she first arrived on campus. If that remark was meant to demean or limit her abilities when she arrived at Storrs, than I totally disagree with the remark. She was as good a freshman player as I've ever seen, in Storrs or otherwise so I obviously don't think she should be demeaned or her skills at that point diminished by anyone who knows anything about women's college basketball. JMHO!

Buzzy, You like a few other posters here are quick to over react to a simple harmless comment.

Here's what I wrote:
"Not so fast my friend. Maya didn't look like the Maya we now know her first day on campus. She was coached, cultivated and nurtured by Geno and staff. The same staff that will coach Megan. I realize Maya as a UConn icon and legend. She's on the "Mount Rushmore" of UConn women basketball players.I'm not saying she is, I'm just wondering IF she may be. Another Maya will come along someday. If not at UConn, then somewhere else.

It's almost unfair to compare any player to her, the pressure and expectations to rise her game to that level, and maintain it, would be enormous. Extraordinarily great players do come along from time to time. Only time will tell if Megan is one of those players. We should know by the end of her junior year, maybe sooner.
"

It was in response to another poster's comment. You're reading between the lines, and taking what I said completely out of context. I asked (wondered out loud) if Megan could be the 2nd coming of Maya. The Maya didn't look like the Maya we know today was not in reference to the Maya in the WNBA, but the Maya in her senior year at UConn.

My inference was simply this: The Maya on her last day on campus in no way resembled the Maya on her first day on campus. Plain and simple. NO disrespect to Maya meant or implied.

I'm only talking about Maya's playing days in college, not the W. The "UConn" Maya that we remember TODAY, is the Maya the last time we saw her in a UConn uniform. You obviously have not been reading my posts lately. I revere Maya. I would never demean her. To suggest that I was or would is demeaning and offensive to me.

If you don't/can't understand my posts, instead of guessing what I meant, respond back just ask me to further explain.
I've always stood by what I write. I don't demean or disrespect any of our girls past or present. It's not my style. I'm a fan, not a critic.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Surprised may be a bridge too far, because we (The Nation) already know what they can do, and we have lofty expectations for them. They may be a surprise to some that don't know who there are, what they can do, or have not been enlightened. Those folks will be surprised. To the UConn fan base, we know, and we believe. Going into their senior year, this picture (while appealing to us) could be most team's worst nightmare. I think they have the potential of becoming the Golden State Warriors of the North East. I realize I'm being a bit premature here. I did say "potentially".

They come to us with a fair amount of fanfare, hype and notoriety. Their roles not yet defined. The trophies, medals, and awards they've garnered between them the last 4 years is amazing. So, when they do in fact rise to the level of those expectations, we won't be surprised, but rather pleased.

We lose two seniors after this year to graduation (Gabby & Kia). It's assumed that Dangerfield will take over the starting pg duties, and one of these ladies will replace Gabby. Right now, the odds on favorite would probably be Walker. That however remains to be seen. That decision is over 16 months away, and a lot of things can happen in that time.

We are so blessed to have these ladies in our program. Most teams in the top 50 coveted them, but we got 'em. I see greatness in all of them. We'll be gladly and proudly singing their praises over the next 4 years here in the yard. A labor of love to be sure. :) Hark.....I hear Bart Scott in the background......."Can't wait"!!!! :D
Surprised may be a bridge too far, because we (The Nation) already know what they can do, and we have lofty expectations for them. They may be a surprise to some that don't know who there are, what they can do, or have not been enlightened. Those folks will be surprised. To the UConn fan base, we know, and we believe. Going into their senior year, this picture (while appealing to us) could be most team's worst nightmare. I think they have the potential of becoming the Golden State Warriors of the North East. I realize I'm being a bit premature here. I did say "potentially".

They come to us with a fair amount of fanfare, hype and notoriety. Their roles not yet defined. The trophies, medals, and awards they've garnered between them the last 4 years is amazing. So, when they do in fact rise to the level of those expectations, we won't be surprised, but rather pleased.

We lose two seniors after this year to graduation (Gabby & Kia). It's assumed that Dangerfield will take over the starting pg duties, and one of these ladies will replace Gabby. Right now, the odds on favorite would probably be Walker. That however remains to be seen. That decision is over 16 months away, and a lot of things can happen in that time.

We are so blessed to have these ladies in our program. Most teams in the top 50 coveted them, but we got 'em. I see greatness in all of them. We'll be gladly and proudly singing their praises over the next 4 years here in the yard. A labor of love to be sure. :) Hark.....I hear Bart Scott in the background......."Can't wait"!!!! :D

Interesting that you bring up the Golden State Warriors, Carnac. I felt the same thing looking at the talent in Game 2 of the NBA Finals: Like Kevin Durant, the Huskies have a big (Z) who is comfortable behind the arc, can find teammates and swat shots. Like Curry, UConn has a player (KLS) who is a deadly 3-point shooter and another (Kia), who like Klay, plays tough defense and can hit the 3. Gabby is our version of LeBron, scoring, rebounding, dishing and inspiring while Pheesa is a better version of Kevin Love, scoring and rebounding, albeit with more consistency. Crystal? A potentially irrepressible force like Kyrie Irving. Playing behind--and sometimes with--this impressive lineup, the frosh four will have time to develop their own identities, hopefully extending UConn's hoop dominance into the next decade.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This "Class" picture got me thinking. There is an extraordinary amount of basketball talent in this photo. The UConn collective is expecting some great things from this group of players. How many wins will this class produce during their 4 years at UConn? Who among them will achieve AA status and thereby gain admittance to the Huskies of Honor before their departure for the W and beyond?

Will their won-loss record rival some of the great and iconic UConn classes of the past, and give cause for some to mention them same in the same breath, or will they quietly fall through the cracks of relative obscurity without making any notable contributions, and fade to black? I'll hang up and listen. :cool:
Based on wins alone the greatest class is Chong and Lawler. Just saying

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Buzzy, You like a few other posters here are quick to over react to a simple harmless comment.

Here's what I wrote:
"Not so fast my friend. Maya didn't look like the Maya we now know her first day on campus. She was coached, cultivated and nurtured by Geno and staff. The same staff that will coach Megan. I realize Maya as a UConn icon and legend. She's on the "Mount Rushmore" of UConn women basketball players.I'm not saying she is, I'm just wondering IF she may be. Another Maya will come along someday. If not at UConn, then somewhere else.

It's almost unfair to compare any player to her, the pressure and expectations to rise her game to that level, and maintain it, would be enormous. Extraordinarily great players do come along from time to time. Only time will tell if Megan is one of those players. We should know by the end of her junior year, maybe sooner.
"

It was in response to another poster's comment. You're reading between the lines, and taking what I said completely out of context. I asked (wondered out loud) if Megan could be the 2nd coming of Maya. The Maya didn't look like the Maya we know today was not in reference to the Maya in the WNBA, but the Maya in her senior year at UConn.

My inference was simply this: The Maya on her last day on campus in no way resembled the Maya on her first day on campus. Plain and simple. NO disrespect to Maya meant or implied.

I'm only talking about Maya's playing days in college, not the W. The "UConn" Maya that we remember TODAY, is the Maya the last time we saw her in a UConn uniform. You obviously have not been reading my posts lately. I revere Maya. I would never demean her. To suggest that I was or would is demeaning and offensive to me.

If you don't/can't understand my posts, instead of guessing what I meant, respond back just ask me to further explain.
I've always stood by what I write. I don't demean or disrespect any of our girls past or present. It's not my style. I'm a fan, not a critic.

Geno is always hardest on the best, so sometimes you have to take what he says about the stars of stars with a grain or 2 of salt. However, in serious moments about the Maya who arrived at Storrs, Geno was dead serious about her not knowing how to play the game and her stunning athleticism bailed her out more often than not.

Reaction Score
Here's the full picture (especially for DaddyC):p:

Lexi.jpg

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Interesting that you bring up the Golden State Warriors, Carnac. I felt the same thing looking at the talent in Game 2 of the NBA Finals: Like Kevin Durant, the Huskies have a big (Z) who is comfortable behind the arc, can find teammates and swat shots. Like Curry, UConn has a player (KLS) who is a deadly 3-point shooter and another (Kia), who like Klay, plays tough defense and can hit the 3. Gabby is our version of LeBron, scoring, rebounding, dishing and inspiring while Pheesa is a better version of Kevin Love, scoring and rebounding, albeit with more consistency. Crystal? A potentially irrepressible force like Kyrie Irving. Playing behind--and sometimes with--this impressive lineup, the frosh four will have time to develop their own identities, hopefully extending UConn's hoop dominance into the next decade.

I would say Gabby is more like Kawhi Leonard...San Antonio Spurs. Lebron James is a world-class traveler and choker. Like Kawhi, Gabby will take over a game if she have to. Crystal is like Magic Johnson. I wouldn't compare Pheesa with Love. Pheesa is a silent, but deadly player. She can score on you, and before you know it, she has 20+ points.
I was watching 30 on 30, the episode about Boston vs Lakers and Bird vs Magic, and I instantly thought about Crystal.

Reaction Score
I'm catching a lot of heat from Teddy Roosevelt fans..... :rolleyes:
No politics there---Teddy a Republican--and Independent--in a heavy Democrat family (FDR)
to me that's a wash.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom