UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 35 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Not so fast my friend. Maya didn't look like the Maya we now know her first day on campus. She was coached, cultivated and nurtured by Geno and staff. The same staff that will coach Megan. I realize Maya as a UConn icon and legend. She's on the "Mount Rushmore" of UConn women basketball players.I'm not saying she is, I'm just wondering IF she may be. Another Maya will come along someday. If not at UConn, then somewhere else.

It's almost unfair to compare any player to her, the pressure and expectations to rise her game to that level, and maintain it, would be enormous. Extraordinarily great players do come along from time to time. Only time will tell if Megan is one of those players. We should know by the end of her junior year, maybe sooner.
I like the "Mount Rushmore" reference but if hammers and chisels were brought into play tomorrow, which four faces would be carved in stone?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I suggest we wait to see how these young ladies develop before we hang a nickname on them. After all, the Big 3 and the Core 4 earned their nicknames with their play on the court. So too will this wonderful freshmen class.

Agreed, we've got plenty of time. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like the "Mount Rushmore" reference but if hammers and chisels were brought into play tomorrow, which four faces would be carved in stone?

Bridgeman, we've had this discussion before. We (the BY) were never able to come to a general consensus on this one. This is probably the hottest topic ever we could engage ourselves in. I think most of us can agree that two of the four on most people's list are Diana and Maya. But since you asked, here's mine: Bird, Diana, Maya & Stewie. All four of these ladies are great players, and proudly wear the label of superstar. Now watch the push back I'll get on this. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
. . . But since you asked, here's mine: Bird, Diana, Maya & Stewie. . . .

I think the transcendent threesome of DT, Maya, and Stewie would be on most peoples list.

It's that non-transcendent fourth person that will cause the most argument.

Reaction Score
Not so fast I think ... just as GW our first president earned his recognition on Mt Rushmore because he started it all off right .... I think the first and foremost recognition belongs to either Bascom or Lobo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the transcendent threesome of DT, Maya, and Stewie would be on most peoples list.

Since we are posing a potential UConn WBB Mt Rushmore, it's worth pointing out that the same question could be asked of the real Mt Rushmore.

Historically speaking, Washington, Jefferson & Lincoln could easily be classified as transcendent presidents, but Teddy Roosevelt bears some scrutiny. Why not FDR or Woodrow Wilson? (OK, the sculpture was begun while Wilson was in office and before FDR was elected). But what about John Adams, James Madison or James Monroe to name a few?

Reaction Score
Since we are posing a potential UConn WBB Mt Rushmore, it's worth pointing out that the same question could be asked of the real Mt Rushmore.

Historically speaking, Washington, Jefferson & Lincoln could easily be classified as transcendent presidents, but Teddy Roosevelt bears some scrutiny. Why not FDR or Woodrow Wilson? (OK, the sculpture was begun while Wilson was in office and before FDR was elected). But what about John Adams, James Madison or James Monroe to name a few?

oh I think Teddy was most definitely a transcendant President..... he brought America prominently onto the world stage. Some of you historians can possibly expand ... I think Teddy started us on closer relations with UK. (We weren't exactly buds after the Civil War)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
oh I think Teddy was most definitely a transcendant President..... he brought America prominently onto the world stage. Some of you historians can possibly expand ... I think Teddy started us on closer relations with UK. (We weren't exactly buds after the Civil War)
Well, the Monroe Doctrine was a pretty significant document in its own right. Adams helped draft and was a signatore of the Declaration of Independence and Madison is sometimes referred to as "the Father of the Constitution" for his pivotal role in promoting the US Constitution & Bill of Rights.

I've got no real problem with Teddy being the 4th image on Mt Rushmore, but there's a case to be made for several others after Washington, Jefferson & Lincoln, just like with UConn's Mt Rushmore after DT, Maya & Stewie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Never thought about it, but now that it is on the table, we have this sort of cartoonesque impression of Teddy, but during his presidency he had quite a few accomplishments, including breaking some powerful monopolists and brokering peace between the Russians and the Japanese (winning the Nobel Peace Prize for actually doing something). But why he may be fitting on the rock may also have to do with his unflagging efforts to promote conservation in America.

"Conservation movement aims to protect natural resources including animal, fungus, and plant species as well as their habitat for the future. Roosevelt is considered to be the first president to put Conservation high on the national agenda. He set aside more Federal land for national parks and nature preserves than all of his predecessors combined. He established the US Forest Service, signed into law the creation of 5 National Parks and established the first 51 Bird Reserves and 150 National Forests."

The Nat'l Park Service explanation is found here: Why These Four Presidents? - Mount Rushmore National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

10 Major Accomplishments of Theodore Roosevelt | Learnodo Newtonic

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Never thought about it, but now that it is on the table, we have this sort of cartoonesque impression of Teddy, but during his presidency he had quite a few accomplishments, including breaking some powerful monopolists and brokering peace between the Russians and the Japanese (winning the Nobel Peace Prize for actually doing something). But why he may be fitting on the rock may also have to do with his unflagging efforts to promote conservation in America.

"Conservation movement aims to protect natural resources including animal, fungus, and plant species as well as their habitat for the future. Roosevelt is considered to be the first president to put Conservation high on the national agenda. He set aside more Federal land for national parks and nature preserves than all of his predecessors combined. He established the US Forest Service, signed into law the creation of 5 National Parks and established the first 51 Bird Reserves and 150 National Forests."

The Nat'l Park Service explanation is found here: Why These Four Presidents? - Mount Rushmore National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

10 Major Accomplishments of Theodore Roosevelt | Learnodo Newtonic
Don't forget that the Teddy Bear was named after him. :rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I suggest we wait to see how these young ladies develop before we hang a nickname on them. After all, the Big 3 and the Core 4 earned their nicknames with their play on the court. So too will this wonderful freshmen class.
Seems like the Core 4 should have been the Jive 5. The missing digit was darned important and is off to a decent pro start.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Agree with your tremendous troika and feel the fourth spot belongs to either Bird, the last (?) UConn 180 player, or Lobo, a seminal figure in the program's rise to dominance. Happily, while both were bathed in glory at Storrs, each has gone on to prove themselves even better people than players, enhancing the school's image and reputation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Teddy Roosevelt may not be the father of our country, but you could make a strong
case that he's the father of Panama! :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
18947351_233227767165426_4807945562630389760_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I know that MeganW is/will get more attention than the other ladies but I have a sneaky feeling that Gordon and Coombs will surprise a lot of people when they get some playing time.

Reaction Score
I know that MeganW is/will get more attention than the other ladies but I have a sneaky feeling that Gordon and Coombs will surprise a lot of people when they get some playing time.

I think your dead on. Lexi and Coombs are going to surprise many.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We'll see about Lexi, but Coombs won't be a surprise. IMO she is the most college ready player in this incoming class, and will likely earn PT before Walker because she plays tough defense and is an excellent passer, qualities that will endear her to Geno.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We'll see about Lexi, but Coombs won't be a surprise. IMO she is the most college ready player in this incoming class, and will likely earn PT before Walker because she plays tough defense and is an excellent passer, qualities that will endear her to Geno.

This "Class" picture got me thinking. There is an extraordinary amount of basketball talent in this photo. The UConn collective is expecting some great things from this group of players. How many wins will this class produce during their 4 years at UConn? Who among them will achieve AA status and thereby gain admittance to the Huskies of Honor before their departure for the W and beyond?

Will their won-loss record rival some of the great and iconic UConn classes of the past, and give cause for some to mention them same in the same breath, or will they quietly fall through the cracks of relative obscurity without making any notable contributions, and fade to black? I'll hang up and listen. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This "Class" picture got me thinking. There is an extraordinary amount of basketball talent in this photo. The UConn collective is expecting some great things from this group of players. How many wins will this class produce during their 4 years at UConn? Who among them will achieve AA status and thereby gain admittance to the Huskies of Honor before their departure for the W and beyond?

Will their won-loss record rival some of the great and iconic UConn classes of the past, and give cause for some to mention them same in the same breath, or will they quietly fall through the cracks of relative obscurity without making any notable contributions, and fade to black? I'll hang up and listen. :cool:
No doubt this is an incredibly talented group of young ladies. The immediate challenge for all of them will be to work as hard as they can to improve on a team where playing time is not a given. There is an incredibly talented group of returning players ahead of them, and it may be a year or more before some of these freshmen get their opportunity to excel.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Surprised may be a bridge too far, because we (The Nation) already know what they can do, and we have lofty expectations for them. They may be a surprise to some that don't know who there are, what they can do, or have not been enlightened. Those folks will be surprised. To the UConn fan base, we know, and we believe. Going into their senior year, this picture (while appealing to us) could be most team's worst nightmare. I think they have the potential of becoming the Golden State Warriors of the North East. I realize I'm being a bit premature here. I did say "potentially".

They come to us with a fair amount of fanfare, hype and notoriety. Their roles not yet defined. The trophies, medals, and awards they've garnered between them the last 4 years is amazing. So, when they do in fact rise to the level of those expectations, we won't be surprised, but rather pleased.

We lose two seniors after this year to graduation (Gabby & Kia). It's assumed that Dangerfield will take over the starting pg duties, and one of these ladies will replace Gabby. Right now, the odds on favorite would probably be Walker. That however remains to be seen. That decision is over 16 months away, and a lot of things can happen in that time.

We are so blessed to have these ladies in our program. Most teams in the top 50 coveted them, but we got 'em. I see greatness in all of them. We'll be gladly and proudly singing their praises over the next 4 years here in the yard. A labor of love to be sure. :) Hark..........I hear Bart Scott in the background......................"Can't wait"!!!! :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand Carnac's "Maya didn't look like the Maya we know today on her first day on campus." If that isn't a Captain Obvious remark, then I guess nothing is. It'd be pretty sad and pathetic if a WNBA All-Star hadn't progressed since the first day of her freshman year in college. I'm trying to understand who is playing at exactly the same level that they did ten years before when they were still maturing? If you haven't improved and evolved, then you have no business being any kind of athlete. Maya Moore is obviously far better and more skilled than she was as a college freshman but she was a pretty awesome basketball player when she first arrived on campus. If that remark was meant to demean or limit her abilities when she arrived at Storrs, than I totally disagree with the remark. She was as good a freshman player as I've ever seen, in Storrs or otherwise so I obviously don't think she should be demeaned or her skills at that point diminished by anyone who knows anything about women's college basketball. JMHO!

Reaction Score

No politics, please. Even 'politics' by way of no-poitics. You are not going to get away with having slipped this in while our heads were turned. I'm going to report YOU. Clever guy/girl!

HGN

Reaction Score

Carnac , I think the key to some of your questions is if this Class can stay together all four(4) years. If they can temper their egos and work hard and earn their Playing time this Class can rival some of the best ever at UConn. When I think about the Class of Stewie /Moriah/Tuck and others , this Class is not far behind in potential and talent. The 'Key' to the Stewie class was that they stayed all 4 yrs. They kept ALL that talent together. Let's hope that this 4-headed monster can do the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom