UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Reaction Score
August 17, 2016: Update On Lexi Gordon

upload_2016-8-17_12-8-52.png
Gordon, who lists Breanna Stewart as her favorite player and Maya Moore as her favorite Olympian, has been following them -- and her future coach, Geno Auriemma -- during the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. One of her future teammates,

Next month, Gordon -- along with fellow Class of 2017 commits Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Mikayla Coombs -- will make their official recruiting visits to UConn. They will be joined in Storrs by Megan Walker, the top-ranked player in the class who is choosing between UConn, Notre Dame, and Texas. Gordon made an unofficial visit to UConn in January, a month before committing.

"I'm excited to go visit and see the coaches and my future teammates again," Gordon said.

[LINK] to Carl A's full article.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not to question Lexi's logic, but Stewie is her favorite player and Maya is her favorite Olympian? I thought I saw Stewie in Rio too. ;)

Seriously, Lexi sounds like a great kid. She's a bit like Kaleena in that she is gregarious and other people like playing with her. I hope she can persuade Megatron. And Christyn Williams!

I'm also curious about her younger sister. Will Myra be a UConn target in time?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
UConn commit Espinoza-Hunter feeling at home as official visit arrives

The link is to Carl's latest blog on Andra Espinoza-Hunter and her visit to Storrs. Lots of info!
She is back at Ossining High....if she makes it to Hudson Valley CC near Albany for the state semis I would hope to see her play.

Gorgeous weather for the verbals this weekend...and for a hoped-for verbal.

Reaction Score
Reading the article (thanks!) and thinking about the 3 who've committed and the one (MW) who's still looking and whose decision seems to some folks to be so important, I can't help but be impressed by how these "kids" are so enthused about going to college, and also suspecting that the intense rivalries that fans perceive are less important to the players than is the plain desire to play ball. Sort of like when Jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch is sitting in a bar devastated by a Red Sox loss, but then spots a couple of actual players (notably Jason Varitek) sitting there drinking and laughing. The game is so different for those within and without....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive logistics to get all four recruits onto campus for their officials this weekend. Hope they have fun!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nice detailed article, thanks for posting

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What an amazing coincidence! Megan Walker will visit UConn simultaneously with commits Andi, Lexi and Mikayla!

We now know that Kia will be Andi's host. Could it be possible that each of the others (especially Megan) will be similarly hosted -- by a possible future teammate?

Of course it will be miraculous if Megan accidentally spends any time at all with Andi. Lexi, and Mikayla.

Yeah. Sure. ;)

Reaction Score
Thinking that the gathering of committed or potential recruits during the same weekend is SOP at many places. Is that generally the case?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thinking that the gathering of committed or potential recruits during the same weekend is SOP at many places. Is that generally the case?
I would assume they try to. Probably doesn't always work out that way though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hard to coordinate with HS schedules and parents working commitments on top of the coaches schedules - having multiple recruits on campus is not that unusual but it is usually a mixture of years and not all of a single year on an official visit.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I would assume they try to. Probably doesn't always work out that way though.

It's not too hard to speculate how Geno and his colleagues out this package together. Andi is right up the road and needs no GPS to find Storrs. Lexi and her entire family loved visiting on their dime, so why not take a freebie. Coombs was the most recent commit and probably went on "stand by" status when sh announced her UConn decision.

All three were surely eager to help reel Megan in as a teammate who may help them cut down nets. Now we hope that a little informal hoops together Friday afternoon in the Werth Champions Center will tighten their bonds.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Can't speak for SOP, but I do know when Megan Walker comes out to Notre Dame Sept. 23-25, Evina Westbrook is scheduled to be there as well.

Reaction Score
Quick question. I know that the official visit(s) doesn't begin until Friday morning. However, is there an NCAA rule which would prohibit a recruit from walking around campus "on their own" this evening (no coach or faculty contact, etc.) if they were so inclined?

Just curious.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that Lou, Gabby, or Pheesa will host Megan. Lou was the #1 recruit 2 years before Megatron, so she knows what she is dealing with.

I think that Lexi is a key, just as Kaleena was. Other kids want to play with her. I think she may have helped us get Mikayla, is helping with Christyn, and may convince Megan.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I took this from the article that Blake posted and I like it alot. Very Positive

Then, last April, she spent a day on campus and attended the final team dinner for the 2016 national champions.

"She's looking forward to it," Walker's father, Keith, said of the official visit. "I'm sure it will be a great trip."

One other point I read in the Walker thread is that she retweeted what John Altavilla wrote about her coming to UConn this weekend. Sounds like shes proud and excited. Its on page 9 under DaddyChoc Very Positive to me. Kinda like our chances based on reading these.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I took this from the article that Blake posted and I like it alot. Very Positive

Then, last April, she spent a day on campus and attended the final team dinner for the 2016 national champions.

"She's looking forward to it," Walker's father, Keith, said of the official visit. "I'm sure it will be a great trip."

One other point I read in the Walker thread is that she retweeted what John Altavilla wrote about her coming to UConn this weekend. Sounds like shes proud and excited. Its on page 9 under DaddyChoc Very Positive to me. Kinda like our chances based on reading these.
She seems to have self publicized her trip to TX as well, so I am not sure I read much into it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Quick question. I know that the official visit(s) doesn't begin until Friday morning. However, is there an NCAA rule which would prohibit a recruit from walking around campus "on their own" this evening (no coach or faculty contact, etc.) if they were so inclined?
Just curious.
Yes there is. If you wrote this on Thursday night then Megan would have to depart by Saturday night per this rule which I don't think is the plan.

" The official visit shall not exceed 48 hours, measured from the time the prospect
first reaches campus
or is entertained in any manner by the institution whichever comes first, to the time of the prospect’s departure from campus. [B 13.7.2.1]

Reaction Score
Yes there is. If you wrote this on Thursday night then Megan would have to depart by Saturday night per this rule which I don't think is the plan.

" The official visit shall not exceed 48 hours, measured from the time the prospect
first reaches campus
or is entertained in any manner by the institution whichever comes first, to the time of the prospect’s departure from campus. [B 13.7.2.1]
Anything in the rule book about how many hookers are allowed for entertaining recruits?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Never dismiss or underestimate the power of camaraderie or friendships. A player (male or female) like to play with friends/people they already know, or have enjoyed playing with before.
These next two days are critical for UConn in it's pursuit of Walker. Of course they'll put on the Ritz. All schools do when a highly coveted recruit/visitor arrives on campus for a visit. The presence of the other 3 commits, and the opportunity to spend 2 days with them and the rest of the team will produce an indelible impression on Walker. The other 3 recruits are of one mind this weekend, convince Walker to come play with us. This weekend will be UConn's last best chance to snare Walker, they'll leave nothing to chance.

This is not UConn's first rodeo. They have a PhD in hosting potential recruits. The staff really doesn't have to sell UConn to visitors. UConn with it's incomparable legacy and RECENT history of success, sells itself.
The choice is really quite simple. If you want to be pushed and coached to become the best possible player/person you can become, you come to UConn. One only has to to look at UConn's (women's basketball) alumni for reference. All of them are walking talking advocates and examples of the type of people Geno and CD turn out. The fact that you may win a championship or two is the cherry on top of the sundae.

As we all know, there IS life after basketball. Geno and CD do an excellent job in preparing their girls for when that time comes. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She seems to have self publicized her trip to TX as well, so I am not sure I read much into it.

She's already on record as having said that she won't make a decision until she visits Texas, UConn & Notre Dame. So I guess we'll just have to hold our collective breaths until after her visit to South Bend. :rolleyes:

Reactions: HGN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom