UConn-Dayton postgame thread | The Boneyard

UConn-Dayton postgame thread

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 6.59.09 PM.png

Reaction Score
I have nothing to complain about. It was a great game for all our ladies tonight!

One highlight for me had to be Nika making a steal on the floor while playing D and passing it off for a basket. That’s when I knew this was going to be a “classic” UConn game of them just firing on all cylinders.

It’s only one game but the future looks bright.

We’re doooooomed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts:
  • Geno played a 10 player rotation through much of the game with lots of different player combinations and, for the most part, the level of execution was very good. Until the last couple minutes the Huskies had 23 assists and only 5 turnovers. It got a little sloppy when Geno emptied his bench in the last several minutes, but I was impressed at how well everyone played together.
  • UConn's defense and energy really picks up when Aubrey is in the game. When Aubrey, Nika and KK are all in the game together, UConn's defense is suffocating.
  • OK, who had KK to lead the team in assists tonight?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
First game observations

One of Geno’s challenges will be getting rebounding from the 3 guard starters. If one game is any indication, Nika seems willing.

I know their percentages will be good but it seemed like they missed a bunch of great looks.

Arnold is not letting off the gas in her pursuit of being in the top 8 rotation.

I am probably a homer but I would take Aailiyah over Angel Reese. Edwards is a beast.

If only Qadance had confidence shooting the ball. Sarcasm font off.

I loved the rotation. Ducharme and Griffin splitting time is great for both

Azzi is showing no hesitation in putting shots up. Nothing is forced though.

The only rotation that I would like to see is Ice and Aailiyah on the floor at the same time.

I am still cheering for Amari but man she has got to kick it into gear.

Reaction Score
Quadence and Ashlyn really impressed tonight. Ashlyn is giving me Kelly Farris vibes, but with more strength. And I loved that both of these freshman were not scared to go up for a shot. Quadence can be an x factor with her three point shooting. Ice is just so smooth and I can't wait to see her come tournament time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A most enjoyable game.

Aaliyah is the Beast of the East.

Paige is back. A little rusty but she will be fine.

Geno is going to have fun with all the depth he has available. So many potential combinations to match up against opponents.

The freshmen are the real deal.

Reaction Score
I thought we looked really good for the first game of the season. What I loved most was that the turnover plague seemed to be left at the door. That is welcome after last year.

This team can flat out shoot. We know Paige and Azzi have proven they can shoot well for a full season. But the addition of Samuels and a healthy Ducharme gives us so many threats. Not to mention that Nikas shot looked improved to me.

We are definitely thin in the post at the moment, but Edwards was a beast. She has had a prototypical Uconn career to date. A freshman who showed lots of promise who’s just continued to get better. It’s crazy that she’s already a senior, but she looked like just the senior post presence we need.

Will be keeping my eye on Ice. She has the tools, and her development will be huge.

Kk with 7 assists was wonderful. She’s going to be a major contributor.

Overall, I think we looked great. Super excited to see how we look in game 2, and against some of the top teams on the upcoming schedule. Feels like this team has the skills and depth to put it all together.

Reaction Score
So many great things including under 10 turnovers.. However, my favorite part actually was Nika willing to take shots. If she can reliably go 10, 5, and 5 every game, it will be impossible to double the other guards. That makes UConn super dangerous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom