UConn-Dayton postgame thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-Dayton postgame thread

Reaction Score
It was a nice start to the season. I was at the game and was impressed with what UConn did, especially considering it is the first game of the season. I was hoping for a larger crowd and I would give the enthusiasm level a B, but it is the XL Center and it was Dayton. The next home game is Maryland at Gampel and it will be full, louder and crazier.

Aaliyah is just a monster. Her inside moves are simply fantastic. She has put in an enormous amount of work on her post moves and is able to get to the hoop many times when you think there is no room there. Nice outside shot as well. Her game translates well to the next level.

It was nice to see us play a full court game defensively. Last season did not afford UConn the luxury of doing this. As I had predicted, ten players played in the first half, with a lot of interesting combinations. I thought that the defense looked solid early, even though some breakdowns early. led to open threes by Dayton. Hopefully they will clean that up. Fun to see the team play defense when KK, Nika and Aubrey are on the floor together. Suffocating.

What should be especially encouraging is that we looked dominant despite Paige and Azzi having pretty average games based on what we know they can do. The only injury concern I could see was Caroline at times favoring her left leg/hip. Hope that`s nothing. She did go back into the game after I noticed it, so she should be good to go.

The freshman were very good. KK clearly - she and Aubrey were the quickest players on the court tonight - KK will be a fan favorite and a factor in every game for the next four years. And I really like both Samuels and Shade. Brady as well.

Nika`s game has improved. She is playing like a Senior, which of course she is. Hope Yanna is in the mix soon, we did not need her tonight but I think we will over the next month.

It is clear that we are a guard oriented team. If we run into trouble over the next few weeks it will be because of our interior defensive/rebounding, especially if Aaliyah gets into foul trouble. But that is for another day, this was a nice win to get things rolling.
Glad that you noticed this. It's going to be the key to their season.

Reaction Score
I really wanted to see 10 or even 15 minutes of Aliyah and Ice playing together. I don't think I saw any minutes with that. One of them always substituted for the other until the last 5 minutes when Amari came in and both of them went to the bench.

As Geno said in his press conference after the SCSU game, there will be opponents against whom it is necessary to play two bigs. I wish we could see that in action before it actually happens out of necessity. Maybe he is waiting for Ayanna to return before he does this?

In Chris Dailey's postgame interview following the radio broadcast, she said (without even being prompted by the question) that this team is not as big as the coaches would like, and there will be a lot of games where the opponent is bigger, and rebounding will be a season-long struggle. As I write this, I'm watching an SNY show that is mainly about the summer European trip, but also includes a lot of practice footage. The issue of size and toughness is a major theme.

One thing that does encourage me is the appetite that the guards seem to have for rebounding. In both of the games so far, I've noticed that Paige is often the one to corral the defensive rebound after it slips through other hands. Nika, of course, is fearless in getting rebounds, and Qadence and Ashlynn among the freshmen seem to enjoy rebounding.

The return of Ayanna cannot come soon enough.
I believe the medical staff might be having Auriemma manage her PT for awhile. The kinesiology tape under her knee pad could indicate some residual tendinitis. He knows what she's going to be capable of.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
It is going to be hard to keep this team from scoring 100 points. Tonight's offense was a very relaxed journey to 100. They pretty much got the shots they wanted. Aliyah and Aubrey had their way in the paint and multiple players got good looks at threes.

As they start to meet better defensive teams. The starters will see more minutes, Azzi and Paige will create more shots for themselves and they will set up the front court for some easy baskets. UConn's defense will continue to get better and it will be hard for teams to score. The freshmen are looking good...I can't remember the last time we had multiple freshmen come in and look comfortable in the early season...this bodes well for the rest of the season.

I think Qadence is the biggest surprise...her game is much better than I expected it to be at this stage of her college basketball career. KK...is doing exactly what I expected her to do...she is a spark plug who I figured would have an immediate impact. Ashlynn Shade is a solid defender and a solid guard...her shot will become more consistent as her confidence continues to improve.

I have to wonder with all the three-point shooters on this team and the offensive juggernaut that UConn appears to be this season..."Willl there be enough basketballs to go around?" If Azzi averages 3 threes per game, Bueckers averages 3 per game, Ducharme averages 2 per game, Muhl averages 1 per game and the bench averages 2 per game...Will UConn average 10-11 3-pointers per game...let's face it folks that is insane! Not to mention with that many outside threats it is sure to open things up in the middle for our front-court players.

I know that it is early and we weren't playing a top-ten team but you have to like what you saw tonight. No more sitting on the edge of the chair wondering who is going to get hurt next? Are we going to be able to field a full team next game? Can our players continue to play such long minutes each game and sustain their competitiveness? No more of that... We now have one of the deepest benches in WCBB...If we stay healthy we are going to see some real sloppy play in the 4th quarter from our opponents. Their players will be exhausted and UConn will be able to keep fresh bodies on the floor all capable of scoring. I think by March if UConn stays healthy they will be an absolute nightmare for teams to have to play...no one will be looking forward to playing UConn in March.

Keep in mind we are not even playing Ayanna Patterson yet...that is another weapon just waiting to be unleashed. I know there are many who might be thinking that Amari DeBerry is a disappointment and that she will never live up to her hype...but, my question to those who are thinking this is, "What if you are wrong?" Having 6'6" playing well...why there would be "weeping and gnashing of teeth" amongst the players and coaching of our opposing teams...the silver lining for them is that they could aways console their teams after a devastating loss to UConn...that they were actually lucky that Jana El-Alfy is on the IR list.

All in all...as UConn fans, we have a lot to be thankful for...

Reaction Score
Lots of talent, KK looks like the real deal....could have been a little more fluid at times, but mostly look really good for the first game. Fudd looks great shooting, and Paige is restarting her engine. Aubrey Griffin made a lot of wow plays.
I am replying to my own feed.....I didn't mention that Edwards was so good I wasn't surprised by her play, hence, no mention due to old age.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
As I was driving home from the game on I-84 East, I saw a license plate UCONNWBB although I couldn`t make out the state.

Anyone here want to take credit?

Reaction Score
Geno’s Angels at the Dailey Planet!

SuperMühl
Captain Aaliy-ica
Flash Griffin
Duch Vader
The Inêsible Hulk
PattMan
Captain Amarvel
Hannibal Bueckers
Samurai
Slim Shady
Azzi the Vampire Slayer
The Ice Maiden
Jana Nirvana

Reaction Score
I watched highlights of the Texas-Southern game and it occurred to me that KK reminds me of Rori Harmon. KK is a bit bigger and appears to be a better passer, but they have that same quick first step and they both finish well at the rim. Rori has more confidence in her game, but KK will develop that same confidence soon enough.

Reaction Score
Got about what was expected last night. I'll start off by saying Dayton competed better than I expected.

(1) The talent gap was huge between the two teams but the effort was about the same.
(2) Oh what a relief it is to have a bench, Freshman were unafraid and contributed
(3) Offense is way ahead of the defense, but that's to be expected.
(4) Not enough words to describe AE's game
(5) Defense was a hot mess in the 1st half but settled down in the 2nd (Good Coaching).

Will need to up their game for road game at NC State, but I'm confident they can handle it.

Reaction Score
So happy the regular season has started. Happy to see Paige back in uniform. Gene & UConn has seemingly struck gold with this freshmen class, and that doesn't count Jana. First, it would usually not bode well when your two All-American guards shoot 7 for 21. However, UConn has a third All-American, and she picked up the slack quite well.

At first glance, such a difference in the rotation compared to the injury-filled, bench depleted teams of the past 2 years. I was skeptical of how much the incoming freshmen would find minutes, but their value is significant and hopefully last night will be something that continues for them.

While we all know Azzi's release is beyond comparison, Qadence has a pro-ready outside shot. She has a high arc, sweet follow-through and the ball gently kisses the rim. Count me impressed.

Although it will take time for Paige to be firing on all cylinders, the team just looks different with her on the court. Her presence alone takes the pressure off of other players - Azzi went to her spots, knowing Paige would find her.

As Geno has publicly stated, UConn will need to ride the play of Aaliyah this year. The team's strength & depth is in the back court and against other top-tier clubs, particularly the SEC teams, UConn will be undersized. As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see Ice Brady on the floor at the same time as Aaliyah, and develop a high/low spacing, as each player can hit the 15-20 ft range shot.

Lastly, anyone who complains about Nika or doesn't see what she brings to the team, I have to assume we're watching a different game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
31408A96-A4DC-4A42-8D64-2DAB94DF094A.jpeg

Reaction Score
I watched highlights of the Texas-Southern game and it occurred to me that KK reminds me of Rori Harmon. KK is a bit bigger and appears to be a better passer, but they have that same quick first step and they both finish well at the rim. Rori has more confidence in her game, but KK will develop that same confidence soon enough.
Spot on!

Reaction Score
amazing performance all around, particularly the freshman. So many weapons! And so much fun to watch (which i wouldn't have said about a lot of last year's games).

if you want to get picky, Ice missed some chippies that will fall next game. Also, still some issues on defense containing drivers and we looked confused on some of the switches, which resulted in open shots/points. But we'll clean that up. It's gonna be a fun season.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
My thoughts. Nice having more than just Nika as the primary ballhandler, the new guards are talented.
Lost 2 major front court contributors and key defender and rebounder. Need guards to rebound Paige and Nika more than willing.
First game Ice was a disappointment. Hope that passes.

Reaction Score
Megan Culmo’s comment on our frontcourt really struck me:

“When we come across those teams with bigger post players… it’ll have to be a track meet.”

I think our frontcourt players know how to win like that. We won’t get to really see how they do until 11/24 against UCLA.

Reaction Score
UConn did what was expected last night. Looking at the team there will be a lot of games where double digit players will play in the game but when they play the big teams it will be 8 or less. This team won't be limited by talent that's for sure and I think you might see that 5th player change depending on who the opponent is that night.

I read a lot of great comments on the game and some that said Paige wouldn't be a scorer this year. Well that one I completely disagree with since she is the best shooter they have in game situations. When they are playing schools that have an outside chance of beating UConn Paige will show up and show up big. Her and Aaliyah are both great players you can count on when the game is on the line.

Nika seems to know and be comfortable with her role and eventually Azzi will fall into her role without the team having to force her into shooting every time she gets the ball. When that happens this team goes from being great to being unbeatable. I would not be surprised if last night was at or below their shooting average for the year once it is all said and done. My last thought is that eventually you will see Aaliyah and Ice on the floor at the same time. Right now I see Ice as the only player who can sub for Aaliyah without a great reduction of size.

Reaction Score
And about the fouls.... I'm not sure Geno cared much about the number of them but rather that the fouls led to free throws... A team can pressure the ball on the perimeter and calculate a few fouls to rush the other team but stay just below the limit each quarter. In other words, strategic fouls. Last night, I saw ill timed fouls that led to free throws which shows a lack of communication, self discipline and intention.

Reaction Score
I don't have a whole lot to add. I was impressed by the efficiency of the offense getting to 102 points in a very businesslike manner. Not a lot of "wow" moments offensively (Q's reverse layup was cool), just efficient ball movement and good shot selection. That kind of efficiency can lead to an offensive juggernaut that can suck the spirit out of an opponent's defensive effort.

I wanted to see a 60/40/90 game with a team 2.5 assist to turnover ratio. Still need to work on that overall field goal percentage and free throw shooting. ;)

Paige seemed to be playing like she was trying to get two years of lost time back in one game. As Geno said, she was pressing a little bit. I expect that this will not be a problem moving forward.

As for the fouls resulting from the defensive effort, they'll learn. If Nika can do it, the others can. It was really nice to see the full court pressure and it was obvious to me that Nika has upped her on ball aggression since last year knowing she absolutely doesn't have to stay on the court for 35 plus minutes. Looking at the box score, no one had more than three fouls so it really wasn't that bad.

I think the next few games will be more of a test and I agree we are currently thin in the front court so rebounding will be an issue against larger teams. Ice will get more comfortable (remember she was essentially a freshman playing her first meaningful game last night) and getting Yanna back will help.

Reaction Score
My thoughts. Nice having more than just Nika as the primary ballhandler, the new guards are talented.
Lost 2 major front court contributors and key defender and rebounder. Need guards to rebound Paige and Nika more than willing.
First game Ice was a disappointment. Hope that passes.
I bet Paige was a disappointment for you also ..

Reaction Score
So happy the regular season has started. Happy to see Paige back in uniform. Gene & UConn has seemingly struck gold with this freshmen class, and that doesn't count Jana. First, it would usually not bode well when your two All-American guards shoot 7 for 21. However, UConn has a third All-American, and she picked up the slack quite well.

At first glance, such a difference in the rotation compared to the injury-filled, bench depleted teams of the past 2 years. I was skeptical of how much the incoming freshmen would find minutes, but their value is significant and hopefully last night will be something that continues for them.

While we all know Azzi's release is beyond comparison, Qadence has a pro-ready outside shot. She has a high arc, sweet follow-through and the ball gently kisses the rim. Count me impressed.

Although it will take time for Paige to be firing on all cylinders, the team just looks different with her on the court. Her presence alone takes the pressure off of other players - Azzi went to her spots, knowing Paige would find her.

As Geno has publicly stated, UConn will need to ride the play of Aaliyah this year. The team's strength & depth is in the back court and against other top-tier clubs, particularly the SEC teams, UConn will be undersized. As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see Ice Brady on the floor at the same time as Aaliyah, and develop a high/low spacing, as each player can hit the 15-20 ft range shot.

Lastly, anyone who complains about Nika or doesn't see what she brings to the team, I have to assume we're watching a different game.
Lots of good thoughts, Surly1, but I'm curious whom the two All-American guards are... if you're referring to Azzi, you might be interested to know that I believe the only post-season honor she's earned in two seasons (much of it due to injury, for sure), was all-Big East freshmen for 2021-22.

She has yet to even get honorable mention all-Big East (again, due to injury) and isn't on the radar for all-American honors.

We Boneyarders like to project, for sure, and we all hope Azzi will improve her shooting to the level that many of us already wrongly believe she's achieved.

I suspect this post will earn me an 'Azzi hater' tag, which is miles and miles from the truth. I'm a huge admirer of the young woman, but we should save those All-American labels for those who have earned them, at this point Aaliyah as a third-team A-A and Paige for what she achieved in '20-21, and root for Azzi to rise to that standard.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lots of good thoughts, Surly1, but I'm curious whom the two All-American guards are... if you're referring to Azzi, you might be interested to know that I believe the only post-season honor she's earned in two seasons (much of it due to injury, for sure), was all-Big East freshmen for 2021-22.

She has yet to even get honorable mention all-Big East (again, due to injury) and isn't on the radar for all-American honors.

We Boneyarders like to project, for sure, and we all hope Azzi will improve her shooting to the level that many of us already wrongly believe she's achieved.

I suspect this post will earn me an 'Azzi hater' tag, which is miles and miles from the truth. I'm a huge admirer of the young woman, but we should save those All-American labels for those who have earned them, at this point Aaliyah as a third-team A-A and Paige for what she achieved in '20-21, and root for Azzi to rise to that standard.
More players = fewer minutes = less chance of injuries

The 2 players whose FG% worry me least are Paige and Azzi. Azzi shot 42.8% on threes yesterday. Her aggressiveness driving to the basket isn’t new but coming off screens for drives and rebounding for putbacks is. Give her a couple games to settle in.

Nika looked good doing going to the basket last night. Terrific growth by her. Some help handling the ball has taken a lot of pressure off her and she’s thriving so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom