UConn-Dayton postgame thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Dayton postgame thread

Reaction Score
What a beat down. 6 players in double figures. Everything clicking until the last 4 or 5 minutes. Geno will take care or that. 26 points from our newbies, impressive. The defense and rebounding was outstanding. We are on our way to NO12!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
What a beat down. 6 players in double figures. Everything clicking until the last 4 or 5 minutes. Geno will take care or that. 26 points from our newbies, impressive. The defense and rebounding was outstanding. We are on our way to NO12!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

There's nothing to really take care of there's a couple players who were on the court for those last 4 or 5 minutes who won't be if the game is within 25 points.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Looks like they have three of the best point guards in the game!
As I’d hoped, there were two on the floor for most of the game. At the end, they had KK and Ines both playing. It’s a lot easier to have fewer than 10 turnovers with this rotation than when you have one point guard playing 37 minutes a game.

This game was totally worth the 6-month wait.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was a nice start to the season. I was at the game and was impressed with what UConn did, especially considering it is the first game of the season. I was hoping for a larger crowd and I would give the enthusiasm level a B, but it is the XL Center and it was Dayton. The next home game is Maryland at Gampel and it will be full, louder and crazier.

Aaliyah is just a monster. Her inside moves are simply fantastic. She has put in an enormous amount of work on her post moves and is able to get to the hoop many times when you think there is no room there. Nice outside shot as well. Her game translates well to the next level.

It was nice to see us play a full court game defensively. Last season did not afford UConn the luxury of doing this. As I had predicted, ten players played in the first half, with a lot of interesting combinations. I thought that the defense looked solid early, even though some breakdowns early. led to open threes by Dayton. Hopefully they will clean that up. Fun to see the team play defense when KK, Nika and Aubrey are on the floor together. Suffocating.

What should be especially encouraging is that we looked dominant despite Paige and Azzi having pretty average games based on what we know they can do. The only injury concern I could see was Caroline at times favoring her left leg/hip. Hope that`s nothing. She did go back into the game after I noticed it, so she should be good to go.

The freshman were very good. KK clearly - she and Aubrey were the quickest players on the court tonight - KK will be a fan favorite and a factor in every game for the next four years. And I really like both Samuels and Shade. Brady as well.

Nika`s game has improved. She is playing like a Senior, which of course she is. Hope Yanna is in the mix soon, we did not need her tonight but I think we will over the next month.

It is clear that we are a guard oriented team. If we run into trouble over the next few weeks it will be because of our interior defensive/rebounding, especially if Aaliyah gets into foul trouble. But that is for another day, this was a nice win to get things rolling.

Reaction Score
Whoa! Great performance, but.......................it's Dayton. Hang loose.

Reaction Score
I will never understand Amari. A top 10 recruit coming out of high school. She’s now a junior and it just seems she will never crack any significant minutes in her remaining career. With her size she’s been a non factor since at UConn. It’s sad cause she’s a lovely person and great teammate. I wish she could meet her potential but after all this time I just don’t see her making any impact.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I really wanted to see 10 or even 15 minutes of Aliyah and Ice playing together. I don't think I saw any minutes with that. One of them always substituted for the other until the last 5 minutes when Amari came in and both of them went to the bench.

As Geno said in his press conference after the SCSU game, there will be opponents against whom it is necessary to play two bigs. I wish we could see that in action before it actually happens out of necessity. Maybe he is waiting for Ayanna to return before he does this?

In Chris Dailey's postgame interview following the radio broadcast, she said (without even being prompted by the question) that this team is not as big as the coaches would like, and there will be a lot of games where the opponent is bigger, and rebounding will be a season-long struggle. As I write this, I'm watching an SNY show that is mainly about the summer European trip, but also includes a lot of practice footage. The issue of size and toughness is a major theme.

One thing that does encourage me is the appetite that the guards seem to have for rebounding. In both of the games so far, I've noticed that Paige is often the one to corral the defensive rebound after it slips through other hands. Nika, of course, is fearless in getting rebounds, and Qadence and Ashlynn among the freshmen seem to enjoy rebounding.

The return of Ayanna cannot come soon enough.

Reaction Score
I will never understand Amari. A top 10 recruit coming out of high school. She’s now a junior and it just seems she will never crack any significant minutes in her remaining career. With her size she’s been a non factor since at UConn. It’s sad cause she’s a lovely person and great teammate. I wish she could meet her potential but after all this time I just don’t see her making any impact.
She's coming off surgery I believe over summer, so like some of the other walking wounded from last season may need more time to get back into the swing of things.

Reaction Score
There was almost nothing I didn't like about this game. Winning was nice of course, but that was expected. One easy game doesn't tell you much on what this team will look like in February but it does look like 10 players will play regularly. KK is a shoo in to play a lot. Ash and Q played well and if they can still contribute against better teams - which are coming up real soon - they'll get their playing time. Ice wasn't a world beater today and she didn't need to be. She didn't seem lost or overwhelmed, which is a good start and enough to keep her subbing in for AE. When Patterson gets healthy it's likely she'll also get good minutes.

How Geno will manage his substitution patterns to take advantage of the wealth of talented and healthy bodies he has at his disposal will be interesting to see. Today the old guard started and the only frosh to play in the first quarter was KK. Q and Ash (and Ice too I think) subbed in the second quarter. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what we'll see going forward. One thing is for sure, Geno has enough talent this year to let him sit a player who needs quiet time to reflect on the error of their ways.

Two other thoughts:

I really, really like it when KK is playing. Her potential is huge. As with Nika (who showed her stuff today) her presence on the floor seems to bump the whole team energy and pace up a notch.

Paige is not going to have a high scoring average this year. Geno said in the post game presser that she is happy to have 10-5-5 game. So true. She is a great shooter but what she likes most is to direct a game and get the ball to open shooters. Her opportunities to do this will be unlimited.

Reaction Score
Quadence and Ashlyn really impressed tonight. Ashlyn is giving me Kelly Farris vibes, but with more strength. And I loved that both of these freshman were not scared to go up for a shot. Quadence can be an x factor with her three point shooting. Ice is just so smooth and I can't wait to see her come tournament time.
He gave both Ash and Q considerable time with the starters tonight, which indicates that he is seriously considering a 10-person rotation. From what both of them showed tonight, the first test had a passing grade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom