UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was talking about what he said after declining lakers.

And Hurley can’t say anything but what he is saying right now as long as he is a member of the universities athletic department. As he should.
Once upon a time he had nice things to say about the AAC too.

The Big East money can't even cover Hurley's salary.

With the Big 12 he will get a bigger budget, bigger NIL, bigger everything. Of course he is for it. The Big East is more of a liability than an asset.

Reaction Score
True, but it's also not an argument based in reality...so there's that.

The notion that there needs to be the super highway running up to the front door of the stadium is a fallacy based upon the experience of virtually every other college in the US who plays football.
Why do you feel the need, with a few others, to hijack this thread into a debate about a new stadium. This is about an invite to a power conference, not a debate about an on campus stadium. We have a stadium that was designed to be expandable. Whether a stadium is on campus or not, it will have no bearing on a Big 12 invite. A new stadium is not even on any agenda right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The football money will be spent on football. This does not help basketball. You can’t convince me that we can’t keep winning in the Big East.
O.K., we can’t convince you. Yawn. At the moment we and the Big EAst can be competitive. The competitive environment is changing year to year. Folks are trying to predict the future. If you see the future differently that’s great, but the only thing that will convince anyone that their prediction for the future is wrong is waiting to see what happens.

Reaction Score
The football money will be spent on football. This does not help basketball. You can’t convince me that we can’t keep winning in the Big East.

In the very near future, schools will be paying their basketball team more than what we make in the Big East. I shouldn't have to explain this any further.

Also, if we are offered this, we are accepting it. There is no debate.

Are you suffering from some sort of brain injury?

Reaction Score
Nine of the eleven Big East schools are Catholic. Butler (founded by the Disciples of Christ) is now nonsectarian. Only UConn is a public flagship state land-grant university. We have nothing in common with the rest of the league other than (some) geography and a modicum of historical rivalries.

While the geographic challenges (including cost) of travel to Big12 opponents are real, UConn is a much better fit. And please don't take a Northeastern arrogant stance that "flyover country" is beneath us. I served two tours of duty in Oklahoma. Wonderful, friendly, welcoming people who, by the way, care deeply about the USA. Yes, most don't go to Harvard, Yale, Middlebury, Amherst, Williams, etc. High schoolers there actually look forward to being admitted to their flagship state universities.

I, UConn (BS) and Harvard (MBA), heartily embrace a potential move to the Big12.
Thank you for your service!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can just hear the post game analysis

It was that last hour on the plane that got em in the end Gus
Hopefully there won't be too many games we're commentators will be talking about how we got it in the end.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well considering he actually said it in the interviews after declining, yes, I entirely believe it was one of the reasons. I’m confused . Are you saying he lied about that?
Can you link to the quote August. Because I don't remember that, and I thought I read pretty much everything that came out at that time.

CL82

Reaction Score
Why do you feel the need, with a few others, to hijack this thread into a debate about a new stadium. This is about an invite to a power conference, not a debate about an on campus stadium. We have a stadium that was designed to be expandable. Whether a stadium is on campus or not, it will have no bearing on a Big 12 invite. A new stadium is not even on any agenda right now.
Lol, how is responding to someone else talking about the new stadium "hijacking the thread"? If you really have an issue with it, and I always laugh about people who decide they need to be Internet police, maybe call out the guy who first brought it up?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He says the BE is the best bball conference every chance he gets but everyone know it’s not true
I only ask because I’ve been real busy and the only direct quote I’ve seen is “I’m not against it”. Are there different quotes?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Don't be a donkey.
Has he said anything besides “ not against it” at this point? Because if he hasn’t your take on that quote is quite a reach that’s why I asked, maybe I missed another?

Reaction Score
Has he said anything besides “ not against it” at this point? Because if he hasn’t your take on that quote is quite a reach that’s why I asked, maybe I missed another?
I didn't say anything about any Hurley quote. The only guy I've seen talking about Hurley quotes is you.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Can you link to the quote August. Because I don't remember that, and I thought I read pretty much everything that came out at that time.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I didn't say anything about any Hurley quote. The only guy I've seen talking about Hurley quotes is you.
You said Hurley wants what’s best for UConn and that’s joining the Big12.

I simply asked if he actually said something like that or close to that. I got my answer. He didn’t ( at this point)

Reaction Score
We can’t even get 8000 people off campus and to their roads home in any kind of sensible and efficient manner after a game at Gampel. How do you propose 40000?
The total window for a football game is at least 8 hours, a couple before kickoff and a couple after the final whistle. It's very easy. Plus, widen 195 to 3 lanes and make it 2 lanes one direction in and 2 lanes one direction out. Easy Peasy.
Those schools are not exactly making the argument that leaving the Big East is the path to long term basketball success.
No, but that was not my point. My point was that all of the football schools are no longer in a basketball conference, nor should they be. Football needs to spread its wings, basketball will be fine wherever.

Reaction Score
You said Hurley wants what’s best for UConn and that’s joining the Big12.

I simply asked if he actually said something like that or close to that. I got my answer. He didn’t ( at this point)
Yes, he wants UConn in the Big 12.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The Big East money can't even cover Hurley's salary.

With the Big 12 he will get a bigger budget, bigger NIL, bigger everything. Of course he is for it. The Big East is more of a liability than an asset.
Do you even have any idea how asinine that sounds? Off back to back titles? People said the same thing a dozen years ago as the reason we needed to join the AAC. Whelp we’ve won 3 titles since then in 2 different leagues. You absolutely had zero idea how the intervening twelve years would play out. No one did. And you have no idea about how the next twelve will play out.

And we are not even being invited as a full member! You are begging for table scraps that we don’t even need.

If we were treated with the respect we deserve and were invited as a full member I’d be much more receptive to this. It would be understandable. But we aren’t . We are opening ourselves up to one of the worst ass poundings college sports has ever seen, and we’ve already been on the receiving end of a few, this one will take the cake though.

Full member makes sense. Nothing else does.

Reaction Score
So now you’re just making stuff up. Got it.
You're the only person in the thread talking about quotes about Hurley turning down the Lakers because of the Big East. When asked to provide the quote you linked to an article that doesn't provide a quote saying the Big East is why he turned down the Lakers.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The total window for a football game is at least 8 hours, a couple before kickoff and a couple after the final whistle. It's very easy. Plus, widen 195 to 3 lanes and make it 2 lanes one direction in and 2 lanes one direction out. Easy Peasy.
Are you familiar with the town of Mansfield?
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Reaction Score
All of our problems with attendance and conference affiliation are because of the schools location. If we were in NH or Fairfield counties we would've been B1G 10 years ago

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're the only dope in the thread talking about quotes about Hurley turning down the Lakers because of the Big East. When asked to provide the quote you linked to an article that doesn't provide a quote saying the Big East is why he turned down the Lakers.
I never said that was the reason he turned down the lakers I said that he said it was one of them. And he did. He said playing in the BigEast tournament and games his Dad could go to are a factor, it’s right there in black and white.

I’m not putting words in his mouth. He said it.

All Hurley has said at this point about the Big12 is “ not against it”.

Reaction Score
If the same numbskulls are running that town as they were 30 years ago, then yes. Surely younger folks with vision have taken over and if not, well 195 is a state highway. They'll figure it out.

John Deere Heavy Equipment GIF by JC Property Professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds