UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
For the record, in my opinion Moving to the Big12 ( or any conference, including staying in BigEast) will have any bearing on whether he eventually goes to the NBA in the future. Conferences will neither keep him here or cause him to go.

It’s not about that.

Reaction Score
I never said that was the reason he turned down the lakers I said that he said it was one of them. And he did. He said playing in the BigEast tournament and games his Dad could go to are a factor, it’s right there in black and white.

I’m not putting words in his mouth. He said it.

All Hurley has said at this point about the Big12 is “ not against it”.

Um, his Dad can still go to all of UConn's home games being in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I never said that was the reason he turned down the lakers I said that he said it was one of them. And he did. He said playing in the BigEast tournament and games his Dad could go to are a factor, it’s right there in black and white.

I’m not putting words in his mouth. He said it.

All Hurley has said at this point about the Big12 is “ not against it”.
Yes, I also read the article and read your Lakers Big East post. You're just making things up. This is the only mention of the Big East in your linked article.

Hurley wants UConn in the Big 12.

Screenshot_20240825_193249_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Do you even have any idea how asinine that sounds? Off back to back titles? People said the same thing a dozen years ago as the reason we needed to join the AAC. Whelp we’ve won 3 titles since then in 2 different leagues. You absolutely had zero idea how the intervening twelve years would play out. No one did. And you have no idea about how the next twelve will play out.

And we are not even being invited as a full member! You are begging for table scraps that we don’t even need.

If we were treated with the respect we deserve and were invited as a full member I’d be much more receptive to this. It would be understandable. But we aren’t . We are opening ourselves up to one of the worst ass poundings college sports has ever seen, and we’ve already been on the receiving end of a few, this one will take the cake though.

Full member makes sense. Nothing else does.

Sorry man, but you are not up to date. And not even Dan Hurley agrees with this. If you're not connected to one of the P4 Conferences then you have less resources and you are north of the wall.

We won titles in three different leagues. Whelp... that was before revenue sharing. This is a different world now.

We are being invited as a full member, we just have to wait until 2031 or 2028 whenever the new deal takes hold. For now there is network backing to fund giving us a payout for everything else and that's more lucrative and rewarding than the Big East.

Reaction Score
You said Hurley wants what’s best for UConn and that’s joining the Big12.

I simply asked if he actually said something like that or close to that. I got my answer. He didn’t ( at this point)

Have you ever heard of a coach who wants to stay in a league that will ultimately handicap them and hinder them with resource deficit?

We basically have Pro College Sports now. The Big East and UConn is on borrowed time because while we will be able to pay players, we won't be able to pay them as much. We're a small market team while we are in the Big East in this new landscape.

Knowing that you are Basketball first/only guy and not stupid for sure you can see this.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not to interrupt this urinating competition but regardless of how well any of us can defend our preference on the outcome, the only thing that matters is if we do or do not receive an invitation.

If the B-12 offers, we join. If they don't, we remain in the Big East.

Reaction Score
As long as Kim English is in Providence, I’d much rather play them than Texas. I don’t care at all to play Creighton and Marquette. Playing St. John’s at MSG should be mandatory.
So cupcakes, PC, and St. John's is your dream OOC (along with the Thanksgiving tournament)? I know the Big 12 would sign off on that.

Reaction Score
Not to interrupt this urinating competition but regardless of how well any of us can defend our preference on the outcome, the only thing that matters is if we do or do not receive an invitation.

If this happens the Big 12 will basically be the SEC of Hoop. It will have most of the best programs and a coaching lineup that's Hall of Fame.

If you love basketball this should be a wet dream.

That KU/UConn game had crazy juice. If that became a conference game it may not become Duke/UNC but it will be up there.

Reaction Score
It makes me abysmally sad and disrespected that we are back to back champs and have elite olympic sports just to get no respect from not only the fans of these conferences but also the conferences themselves

what good is going back to back if it means nothing to anybody

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sorry man, but you are not up to date. And not even Dan Hurley agrees with this. If you're not connected to one of the P4 Conferences then you have less resources and you are north of the wall.

We won titles in three different leagues. Whelp... that was before revenue sharing. This is a different world now.

We are being invited as a full member, we just have to wait until 2031 or 2028 whenever the new deal takes hold. For now there is network backing to fund giving us a payout for everything else and that's more lucrative and rewarding than the Big East.
It’s been a different world for a long time now getting single digit millions beating up on teams getting 70 million . This money business is boy who cried wolf. I’m numb to it now. Other programs ( not just us) have found a way.

I also refuse to believe that non football schools will be left behind in the basketball world. Villanova, Gonzaga, Georgetown, St. John’s, Dayton, Creighton, Marquette, will all still exist ( with various levels of success) in 10 years, 15, 20.
That has been the case for last 20 years despite everyone’s doomsday scenarios and I can see it being the case for at least as long as I’m still around. So I just see this “revenue sharing” blather as the latest in a never ending line of “ it’s over if this doesn’t happen” malarkey.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

They better get better terms than what’s being reported.

Reaction Score
It’s been a different world for a long time now getting single digit millions beating up on teams getting 70 million . This money business is boy who cried wolf. I’m numb to it now. Other programs ( not just us) have found a way.

I also refuse to believe that non football schools will be left behind in the basketball world. Villanova, Gonzaga, Georgetown, St. John’s, Dayton, Creighton, Marquette, will all still exist ( with various levels of success) in 10 years, 15, 20.
That has been the case for last 20 years despite everyone’s doomsday scenarios and I can see it being the case for at least as long as I’m still around. So I just see this “revenue sharing” blather as the latest in a never ending line of “ it’s over if this doesn’t happen” malarkey.

I'm sorry but no.

There will be revenue sharing, nobody is doing it yet, but it's coming. How do you think the conversation with the state will go when we walk hat in hand to ask for $10M to pay guys on top of every other operating expense related to basketball? They will just say too bad, you should have taken the Big 12 offer. Where is the money going to come from Storrs Central?

You're smarter than this, if we are offered. we're gone.

Secondly when and if this happens the donations are going to flow in at a greater pace and other sports will benefit. We're not some one sport school like St. Johns.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
All of our problems with attendance and conference affiliation are because of the schools location. If we were in NH or Fairfield counties we would've been B1G 10 years ago

Maybe. But you’re making a point, unintentionally, I think, that I agree with anyway. In New England people use that as an excuse for not attending. And it’s true. People won’t go because of that. That is the northeast culture. In the Midwest and the south tens of thousands of people have zero issue driving 2-3 hours each way to get to their Saturday games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty inarguable that NIL has changed the landscape - just look how much we have benefited from it. Look at all the other programs it's left gutted with transfers.

If revenue sharing comes as a % of tv media money..that leaves UConn basketball in a very precarious position.

Also, with respect to the NCAAT it's an absolute behemoth $ wise and I'd agree a tournament of p4, 5,6? Would probably garner less $.. But they'd also get all the proceeds as opposed to divvying it up across all of the NCAA d1-2,3.

DGB

Reaction Score

This but with additional Hurley context...

If the B-12 offers, we join and Hurley says he loves the Big 12. If they don't, we remain in the Big East and Hurley says he loves the Big East.

That's how these things work.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Thanks August. I think this is the quote you're referring to:

IMG_4040.jpeg

I'm not sure that I've read that as being "the" reason for staying, but it's clearly important to him. Still, I suspect his dad would somehow managed to get to the big 12 tournament as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This year he also said that UConn would have returned to prominence even in the AAC. That was his way of being okay with leaving the BE.
I also assume that the fat check Hurley could get with B12 money would change his mind

Reaction Score
It makes me abysmally sad and disrespected that we are back to back champs and have elite olympic sports just to get no respect from not only the fans of these conferences but also the conferences themselves

what good is going back to back if it means nothing to anybody
You just saw us make two dominating runs through the tournament. Why do you need other people to care, or give UConn respect, for you to enjoy it?

Reaction Score
I agree that the new stadium idea is a crack pipe dream.
It may be a dream or it may be a requirement, we'll have to wait and see. Either way, improvements will be made. I strongly feel that an on-campus stadium brings an entirely different game day experience in addition to the game and tailgating. Dining out, visiting dorms, fraternities and sororities, shopping. It would be a boon to the campus. But the stadium situation can be discussed once the XII situation is finalized.

Reaction Score
It may be a dream or it may be a requirement, we'll have to wait and see. Either way, improvements will be made. I strongly feel that an on-campus stadium brings an entirely different game day experience in addition to the game and tailgating. Dining out, visiting dorms, fraternities and sororities, shopping. It would be a boon to the campus. But the stadium situation can be discussed once the XII situation is finalized.

Marc should just keep quiet about the stadium topic until we get invited or not.

Reaction Score
Do you even have any idea how asinine that sounds? Off back to back titles? People said the same thing a dozen years ago as the reason we needed to join the AAC. Whelp we’ve won 3 titles since then in 2 different leagues. You absolutely had zero idea how the intervening twelve years would play out. No one did. And you have no idea about how the next twelve will play out.

And we are not even being invited as a full member! You are begging for table scraps that we don’t even need.

If we were treated with the respect we deserve and were invited as a full member I’d be much more receptive to this. It would be understandable. But we aren’t . We are opening ourselves up to one of the worst ass poundings college sports has ever seen, and we’ve already been on the receiving end of a few, this one will take the cake though.

Full member makes sense. Nothing else does.
Who is begging for scraps? Benedict and Maric? Cause we are just message board posters.

Reaction Score
You just saw us make two dominating runs through the tournament. Why do you need other people to care, or give UConn respect, for you to enjoy it?
It just seems to mean so unbelievably little to others based on how we get treated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom