UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not clear the Big 12 is on the right side of the divide either, and if they aren't then we joined a league with Kansas State and Iowa State and abandoned a league with teams that basketball fans actually care about.

I am generally pro-Big 12, but this is not a simple choice. UConn is making a big bet on the future of college football that we may get really, really wrong.
We have to make the move. It puts us in the #3 conference in the pecking order. At that point, we only need one more upward move and the school will be safe indefinitely.

Reaction Score
He's not a nutjob.

I mean, he’s pretty close to it. Yes, he’s a basketball genius, but he’s the one waving incense around pre-game, and wait, didn’t he shove Cam Spencer to avoid a 5 second call?

(make no mistake - he’s our maniacal head coach. I love Hurley)

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
people saying stay in the Big East are short sighted or nostalgia stricken, people who say the main reason why UConn got back to being a powerhouse in hoops is because of the Big East are ignorant, the Big 12 is not the American on all fronts financially, brand, reputation, and in competition the Big 12 is significantly better this won't be a mistake this will be the only real decision we have to make.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
people saying stay in the Big East are short sighted or nostalgia stricken, people who say the main reason why UConn got back to being a powerhouse in hoops is because of the Big East are ignorant, the Big 12 is not the American on all fronts financially, brand, reputation, and in competition the Big 12 is significantly better this won't be a mistake this will be the only real decision we have to make.
The BE hasn’t helped DePaul. Indiana, once a perennial powerhouse and considered a blue blood, hasn’t regained its prominence in spite of not being outside the BIG.

Houston has done well in the AAC and now in the Big 12 in both sports.

It’s coaching that’s the most critical factor. I’d say DH would take it as a challenge to prove he could be just as successful in the B12 as the BE.

Reaction Score
As long as Kim English is in Providence, I’d much rather play them than Texas. I don’t care at all to play Creighton and Marquette. Playing St. John’s at MSG should be mandatory.

We can play whomever we want at MSG. We don’t need to ask St. Johns. Remember that Pitino said no.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
At least Cincy will have a sign ready for us…

IMG_8445.jpeg

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The downside I see are destinations like Lubbock & Stillwater. Make Syracuse look like a vacation spot. But they get balance out by Boulder, Tuscon & Tempe

Reaction Score
Do you actually believe that our conference affiliation was the reason that Dan didn't take the LA job? Interesting take.
Its the exact opposite.
A continuation in the Big East and Dan would be in LA .
In The light of those comments
his remarks in his post contract press conference “we‘ve given a lot to the Big East “ when asked the Kumbaya Big East question make sense . He was probably aware of the potential move at the time.
He is right
They may still be collecting UConn money in 2031 .
My guess is they have to add 4-6 teams to replace UConn media money at partial shares

Reaction Score
The total window for a football game is at least 8 hours, a couple before kickoff and a couple after the final whistle. It's very easy. Plus, widen 195 to 3 lanes and make it 2 lanes one direction in and 2 lanes one direction out. Easy Peasy.

No, but that was not my point. My point was that all of the football schools are no longer in a basketball conference, nor should they be. Football needs to spread its wings, basketball will be fine wherever.
UConn is a basketball school with a football delusion.

Reaction Score
The downside I see are destinations like Lubbock & Stillwater. Make Syracuse look like a vacation spot. But they get balance out by Boulder, Tuscon & Tempe
Orlando. There are lots of CT fans in Florida. Our presence was felt at the Florida hoops game a couple seasons back.

Reaction Score
It's fine for any other state university to take on football, but somehow Connecticut can't do it because the program got really bad for five years. THIS ATTITUDE MAKES NO SENSE. Please stop saying we can't be competitive. We've literally done it before, and recently. Iowa and Kansas are not bigger than Connecticut, and they both have two state schools competing in power conferences.

Reaction Score
Presidents run universities
Athletic Directors run the athletic departments
Brett Yormark is the visionary commissioner who is navigating change and keeping the XII at #3.
Everyone should stay in their lanes and listen to what the man says
"So won't you listen to what the man said"

Reaction Score
It's fine for any other state university to take on football, but somehow Connecticut can't do it because the program got really bad for five years. THIS ATTITUDE MAKES NO SENSE. Please stop saying we can't be competitive. We've literally done it before, and recently. Iowa and Kansas are not bigger than Connecticut, and they both have two state schools competing in power conferences.
It really is the biggest loser mentality i have ever seen in sports.

Reaction Score
That's a bad attitude to have and really a loser's mindset. You can find many posts of mine being critical of UConn Football to the point of making fun of it just so I can cope. But having said that, UConn has been good at football when it was part of a big conference (Big East). To imply UConn Football cannot be good is flat out false.

The fans are ready when it comes to football, however UConn Football is making competent football look way too difficult. All that is necessary is a spark to make the tinderbox of fan enthusiasm explode (i.e. close games and a semblance of good offense). The fans will show up if they are given even a decent product. The problem is UConn Football has not provided the bear minimum to give the fans a sliver of hope. A Big 12 invite would absolutely turn UConn into a decent to good football team as they would have more money to reinvest into football and basketball.

Reaction Score
That's a bad attitude to have and really a loser's mindset. You can find many posts of mine being critical of UConn Football to the point of making fun of it just so I can cope. But having said that, UConn has been good at football when it was part of a big conference (Big East). To imply UConn Football cannot be good is flat out false.

The fans are ready when it comes to football, however UConn Football is making competent football look way too difficult. All that is necessary is a spark to make the tinderbox of fan enthusiasm explode (i.e. close games and a semblance of good offense). The fans will show up if they are given even a decent product. The problem is UConn Football has not provided the bear minimum to give the fans a sliver of hope. A Big 12 invite would absolutely turn UConn into a decent to good football team as they would have more money to reinvest into football and basketball.
100%. If UConn can be moderately competitive, I'm there and highly engaged. I don't need them to go 9-3 or 8-4 every year. It just got to the point for a while where they weren't watchable. It felt like I was watching big kids pick on little kids. And even then, I'd go sometimes. For me, the bare minimum is being able to move the ball some on offense and not getting gashed for 450+ yards every game on defense. I'm not asking a lot here.

They're watchable now, by the way.

Reaction Score
#1 basketball conference is not a bad place to land

Reaction Score

Kinda like the class dunce having a genius delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom