UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitt cuse bcu left. WVU Cinci Louisville VA Tech Miami Rutgers USF Temple all came and went. That's the way it must be.
Those schools are not exactly making the argument that leaving the Big East is the path to long term basketball success.

Reaction Score
Does Dan have a choice other than toeing the university line at this point? I think he’s a Big East guy, and I’m just glad this happened after he turned down the Lakers.
I can't believe people don't realize how much a nutjob Hurley is. He LOVES challenges. He will certainly view the Big 12 (currently the best basketball conference) as the challenge that he will want win.

I'm sure he is happy he has been able to coach in the Big East for 5 years, win the conference and conference tournament in MSG. That def means a lot to him but he accomplished it and there no is doubt he will be excited and ready for a new challenge in the Big 12 Conference.

Reaction Score
Those schools are not exactly making the argument that leaving the Big East is the path to long term basketball success.
Pitt- lost Dixon, Cuse- Boeheim got old and game passed him by, Cinci- lost Cronin, Louisville- lost Pitino

Pretty easy to see why these programs haven't lived up to what they were in the BE.

Reaction Score
Do people really think those BE schools that left struggled because they left the BE? Or that UConn struggled in the AAC simply because it wasn’t the BE? Those schools struggled post BE because they made terrible coaching decisions. UConn struggled in the AAC because the AAC was a glorified mid major conference AND we made a terrible coaching decision.

UConn basketball with Hurley will continue to compete for titles in the B12. I have ZERO doubt.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yes you are. The Big 12 is far more than a "precipice"

It's North of the Wall

It's a Lifeboat with a luxury suite

It's a winning lottery ticket

Pull your head out of your you know what
It’s that if we are invited as a full member. I may have missed something are we being invited as a full member? If we aren’t then it is none of those things.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If you care about football, yes. For basketball, we lose the regional rivalries and a stable, basketball-first conference in order to help football.
What regional rivalries really still exist? Nova, PC, St Johns, Hall, and GTown? The rest of the BE is a ways away and not what the BE used to be. So this notion that the BE is this regional conference should have died in the 2000's when Pitt, BC, WVU, Syracuse, and even VT all bailed.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I hate talking about the stadium situation and I'm sure that subject just might be broached during the UConn to the Big XII negotiations. Colleges of all shapes and sizes from your Ohio States to your Muhlenbergs have successfully built football stadiums on campus yet people think UConn can't do it. Take a look at Cinci's campus and how small a footprint that stadium has jammed in between its other athletic fields. We can build on campus and still go much larger. If UConn ends up in the XII, #3 behind the B1G and SEC, there is no reason UConn can't afford whatever kind of freaking stadium the XII would require. It becomes an integral part of the campus and the perfect place to showcase our football legacy.
We can’t even get 8000 people off campus and to their roads home in any kind of sensible and efficient manner after a game at Gampel. How do you propose 40000?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Do you actually believe that our conference affiliation was the reason that Dan didn't take the LA job? Interesting take.
Well considering he actually said it in the interviews after declining, yes, I entirely believe it was one of the reasons. I’m confused . Are you saying he lied about that?

Reaction Score
If you care about football, yes. For basketball, we lose the regional rivalries and a stable, basketball-first conference in order to help football.
The Big East is not a sustainable conference for UConn long term it UConn wants to compete in major college athletics. The split is coming. It’s a matter of when, not if.

Reaction Score
There are not that many OOC games against P5-types on the schedule and the Big XII clearly has a heavy-on-cupcakes policy. I would stick with Texas and Gonzaga over PC and St. John's. And if it was former Big East competition, the likes of Villanova (if they right the ship), Marquette, and Creighton would be higher on my list.
As long as Kim English is in Providence, I’d much rather play them than Texas. I don’t care at all to play Creighton and Marquette. Playing St. John’s at MSG should be mandatory.

Reaction Score
Well considering he actually said it in the interviews after declining, yes, I entirely believe it was one of the reasons. I’m confused . Are you saying he lied about that?
Hurley wants to be in the Big 12. He recognizes the situation.

Reaction Score
Do you think he would get paid 8.5 million a year if the administration felt they were staying in the Big East long term?

Reaction Score
We can’t even get 8000 people off campus and to their roads home in any kind of sensible and efficient manner after a game at Gampel. How do you propose 40000?
Lots of people on this site have pointed out those who attend football games often tailgate. so you will get some who come in the morning or afternoon and those who leave in the middle of the game, after the game or in the evening. Also, we would only have six home games a season. If the stadium is on Discovery Drive, traffic can be routed on Route 44 rather than 195.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What happens when P-3 or 4 break away from NCAA ? They will set there own rules + TV deals. They will cut out non P-Conf. + non FB schools. They destroyed the Pac-12 . Do you think they care about the future of the Big East ?

That is ridiculous. I see that take all the time and it is ludicrous. The NCAA basketball tournament is by far the biggest event in College sports. It is the crown jewel of revenue generation. It has achieved that because of the scope and breadth of 350 plus institutions participating. People think that they are going to kill that? That there will be 80 teams that make it up? That would absolutely destroy the event
Nonsense.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Hurley wants to be in the Big 12. He recognizes the situation.
I was talking about what he said after declining lakers.

And Hurley can’t say anything but what he is saying right now as long as he is a member of the universities athletic department. As he should.
Once upon a time he had nice things to say about the AAC too.

Reaction Score
I was talking about what he said after declining lakers.

And Hurley can’t say anything but what he is saying right now as long as he is a member of the universities athletic department. As he should.
Once upon a time he had nice things to say about the AAC too.
He wants what's best for UConn, that's joining the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The BE schools are screwed once revenue sharing starts. This helps bball too

Reaction Score
Nine of the eleven Big East schools are Catholic. Butler (founded by the Disciples of Christ) is now nonsectarian. Only UConn is a public flagship state land-grant university. We have nothing in common with the rest of the league other than (some) geography and a modicum of historical rivalries.

While the geographic challenges (including cost) of travel to Big12 opponents are real, UConn is a much better fit. And please don't take a Northeastern arrogant stance that "flyover country" is beneath us. I served two tours of duty in Oklahoma. Wonderful, friendly, welcoming people who, by the way, care deeply about the USA. Yes, most don't go to Harvard, Yale, Middlebury, Amherst, Williams, etc. High schoolers there actually look forward to being admitted to their flagship state universities.

I, UConn (BS) and Harvard (MBA), heartily embrace a potential move to the Big12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom