UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps a review US geography might be in order for you.

Big XII opponents 1,000-1,500 away: 6
Big XII opponents 1,500-2,000 away: 4
Big XII opponents 2,000+ miles away: 4

This is not hopping around the Big East to NYC, Phila, Providence and DC with a once a season trip to Creighton (1,200 miles from BDL). This is every single road game with the exception of Cinn and WV.

I didn’t realize Cincy and WVU were 1000 miles away.

Reaction Score
It's a 1000 miles to Marquette, it's over 900 miles to Depaul, 1200 miles to Creighton, Butler is 865 miles away. You get on a plane and fly to where you are going to be playing. Your not walking there or taking a bus trip.

Reaction Score
Once you are on the plane, what difference does it make if it is a 2 hours flight or a 4 hours flight? Kids will find plenty of things to do to fill their time on the airplane. If they can install PS5s on the plane, they would be all set for a 20 hours flight.

Reaction Score
The football money will be spent on football. This does not help basketball. You can’t convince me that we can’t keep winning in the Big East.
Yes. But nationally the entire league currently has a fiscal problem that will diminish its stature and ability to recruit coaches, and players. And being outside the P3-4 means they make the rules. And they aren't making them for your benefit. But believe whatever your heart tells you. We are currently the exception to the rule, for now. But the tide keeps rising under those other conferences while we stay the same.

Reaction Score
Perhaps a review US geography might be in order for you.

Big XII opponents 1,000-1,500 away: 6
Big XII opponents 1,500-2,000 away: 4
Big XII opponents 2,000+ miles away: 4

This is not hopping around the Big East to NYC, Phila, Providence and DC with a once a season trip to Creighton (1,200 miles from BDL). This is every single road game with the exception of Cinn and WV.
See post above about once you are on a plane…

Also, conferences are going national. If you want to play with the big boys you need to travel. Somehow people smarter than
The collective boneyard believe that to be true.

Reaction Score
The football money will be spent on football. This does not help basketball. You can’t convince me that we can’t keep winning in the Big East.
Sure the football money will be spent on football and the basketball money will be spent on basketball. Right now we have very little football money so it would be a huge win.

Reaction Score
Does Dan have a choice other than toeing the university line at this point? I think he’s a Big East guy, and I’m just glad this happened after he turned down the Lakers.

Dan didn't turn down the Lakers because of the Big East Conference, he stayed with UConn knowing full well a move to the Big 12 was entirely possible. He's not towing any line, he knows the reality.

Reaction Score
Just looking at the roster of schools in the Big 12 basketball I see a lot of AAC. It will ruin bball even with Kansas, Baylor and AZ
If you told me 20 years ago this same thing, I would agree.

It's a lot of "States" and not exactly the most prestigious collection of schools but it seems pretty safe to say at this point these are sports schools. This is clearly the best basketball conference in the country the last several years and they're pretty decent at football.

Reaction Score
With the way things have progressed, UConn has two options. Drop football and bank on very short term basketball greatness while running the risk of basketball dying on the vine or have a seat at the table and remain a basketball superpower while making Saturdays matter in Connecticut sports.

Big East basketball has been an obsession of mine my whole life and I'll always love the Big East but the game has changed too much and it's about sustainability and survival at this point.

Reaction Score
If you told me 20 years ago this same thing, I would agree.

It's a lot of "States" and not exactly the most prestigious collection of schools but it seems pretty safe to say at this point these are sports schools. This is clearly the best basketball conference in the country the last several years and they're pretty decent at football.
Best BB conference 3rd or 4th in football is not a bad place at all to be in. For UConn it would seem the ideal place.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter if we are winning national titles and able to schedule those teams now?
That‘s really not the issue
It’s increasing revenue from
12-13 in the Big East’
to 20-40million
in the a P conference
College sports are ruled by money
You cant’t pay our staff $7 million a year in the Big East on that revenue so winning will be difficult long term.
Womens BB post Geno was dead in the Big East . That sport has a significant revenue future
Out success in a way doomed a continuation in the Big East . The more you win the more you spend, the more you need.
Long term success necessitates a bump in revenue .

Reaction Score
Creighton and Marquette are the best programs other than us and honestly they don’t compare with Houston, Baylor and Kansas. Then there is the rest of the Big East. I would only miss playing our little brother Providence. In the Big 12 there also is Cincinnati, Arizona, West Virginia, Texas Tech, TCU, Iowa St, BYU, Utah. All teams who would finish in the upper half of the Big East. I see 2 schools that were in the AAC. UCF and Houston.
I see Villanova, PC and Marquette on the schedule going forward.

Reaction Score
I think the Big East powers would frown upon any of their members playing us
Why? Val was on record last week saying that conference bylaws plainly state how a school leaves the conference. In retrospect, this probably had to do with what is going now. The Big East always knew this could happen hence the big exit fee that went down over time. UConn had brought in big money via tournament credits. Both sides know this has been a mutually beneficial relationship, its just we have different needs going forward.

Reaction Score
With the way things have progressed, UConn has two options. Drop football and bank on very short term basketball greatness while running the risk of basketball dying on the vine or have a seat at the table and remain a basketball superpower while making Saturdays matter in Connecticut sports.

Big East basketball has been an obsession of mine my whole life and I'll always love the Big East but the game has changed too much and it's about sustainability and survival at this point.
Pitt cuse bcu left. WVU Cinci Louisville VA Tech Miami Rutgers USF Temple all came and went. That's the way it must be.

Reaction Score
They can frown all they like but they're still going to play us because it makes financial and reputational sense to do so.
And if their feelings get too much in the way, then we'll have PLENTY of scheduling options.

Reaction Score
Sure the football money will be spent on football and the basketball money will be spent on basketball. Right now we have very little football money so it would be a huge win.
If you care about football, yes. For basketball, we lose the regional rivalries and a stable, basketball-first conference in order to help football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom