UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So the Big 12 wants to use our men’s/women’s basketball programs for the next 6-8 years for clout, not let us play football, not get full fiscal benefit of the conference, and then finally let us in as a full member in 2031 or later?

Yeah I will pass. Talk about walking into a grenade.

Reaction Score
So the Big 12 wants to use our men’s/women’s basketball programs for the next 6-8 years for clout, not let us play football, not get full fiscal benefit of the conference, and then finally let us in as a full member in 2031 or later?

It's more than the Big East offers.

Reaction Score
From Heartland College Sports
Your home for everything Big 12 football, basketball, baseball, and softball!

UConn Football Becomes First College Football Team to Do This

While rumors surrounding UConn joining the Big 12 continue to spiral, many discussing the move have one question: are the Huskies taking football seriously?

The answer appears to be yes, as on Monday, the Huskies became the first college football team to put their NIL Collective logo on the football field.

Reaction Score

I'd like to think this fact pattern isn't lost on AD Dave and whoever is in the brain trust.

Reaction Score

So you're objecting to the financial terms of the deal before anyone knows what they are? Damn, I wish I was that smart.

Don't you think we need to have a deal, and you know what it is, before trashing it?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Better basketball conference, more money, more upside, football scheduling, potential football home, affiliated with similar institutions.
So they’re paying us to get stomped on in football 4-5x a year, with minimal home games. Is the basketball conference that much better?
Money and a seat at the table.
How much more money without football until early 2030’s? Will not be as much as you think.
I'd like to think this fact pattern isn't lost on AD Dave and whoever is in the brain trust.
Coming from a guy who buys 50 cases of Miller Lite for a “$2 beer night” I wouldn’t put it past him.

Reaction Score

The 2031 full membership has to be guaranteed based on metrics fully within our control so they can’t keep moving the goal posts, pun intended. For instance, it can’t be averaging a certain number of wins or attendance per year. It has to be monetary like stadium expansion and other investments into football.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
So you're objecting to the financial terms of the deal before anyone knows what they are? Damn, I wish I was that smart.

Don't you think we need to have a deal, and you know what it is, before trashing it?
Big 12 holds the upper hand in these negotiations, zero chance we get a favorable deal. It’ll be a dog water offer.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The 2031 full membership has to be guaranteed based on goals fully within our control so they can’t keep stringing us along.
And if the conference falls apart in 2029 what happens?

Reaction Score

Hypothetical question................would we be getting "X" number of BIG 12 games a year as we ramp up the program??? That would be important as well as increase interest and tix sales

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Hypothetical question................would we be getting "X" number of BIG 12 games a year as we ramp up the program??? That would be important as well as increase interest and tix sales
You think Big 12 is going to give us ~4 home games a year vs their teams? No way they travel out here for that.

Reaction Score
So they’re paying us to get stomped on in football 4-5x a year, with minimal home games. Is the basketball conference that much better?
Gee, we should have never left the Yankee conference with that poor attitude.
Two or three Big 12 games at the Rent, what's not to love.
If nothing else they're on par, but metrics say Big 12 is better recently.

Reaction Score
And if the conference falls apart in 2029 what happens?
how is that a concern? the BIG10 tv deal expires in 2029 but they have never shown interest in poaching any BIG12 teams. the BIG12 deal expires in 2031. the SEC tv deal expires in 2033. all 3 conferences will have renewed their tv deals before the ACC tv deal expires in 2036. If any conference falls apart it will be the ACC since the networks dont wanna spend any more money on sports inventory. that's exactly what just happened with the PAC. the BIG, SEC, and BIG12 had all just renewed their deals and there was no money left for them.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Gee, we should have never left the Yankee conference with that poor attitude.
Two or three Big 12 games at the Rent, what's not to love.
If nothing else they're on par, but metrics say Big 12 is better recently.
Hopefully we draw better than the 15k-25k we drew against Purdue, Illinois, and Duke.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
as long as it's more than $7mill/year for now with football membership by 2031 and a scheduling agreement in the meantime, then it's better than the BE deal.
What about travel? I doubt we put all sports in the Big 12, we’d relocate most.

I also read somewhere (maybe here) that the $7M per year was on par for a P5* conference’s contribution subtracting football. Not sure if that was accurate or not.

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
Is the same true of Kansas, Duke, and North Carolina?
And literally half of the hateful eight Big12 schools (i.e. not the last eight added) and several of the last eight added that have decades of mediocre at best football history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom