UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise?

Reaction Score
lol this is about what I expected. So T-shirts and hats make competitive applicants, with their presumed choice of institution to attend, want to go to specific universities; and that starts an upward spiral effect, because "cache". And this phenomenon is why Alabama and Kentucky are academic giants... oh wait.

I just looked up the stats on your average admitted student from 2016. It's no different from what I remember from I was accepted for 2008, after which we went to a Final Four, won two championships, and had some of our greatest success on the football field. Average GPA around 3.5, average SAT about 1230. The only staggering difference I saw was cost. Easiest google stats I found on out-of state students were from 2014 (immediately following NC #4) and far fewer than 40% of students were out of state; it was barely over 20%. And most of us (I was myself) are from the Northeast. UConn is a regional school irrespective of athletics; it was not at all a factor or motivator for me enrolling. Personally, I liked UConn's engineering program, the campus, and the size of the student body. I was oblivious to UConn athletics when I enrolled. Not sure what point you were trying to make of that anyway, or whose ass you pulled that stat out of.

Might want to find the Enter key from time to time by the way.

Try this article. Successful hi profile sports (r anything else) is just branding/marketing. Good branding/marketing gets us more recognition, gets us more students. Its not debatable.

The Flutie Effect: How Athletic Success Boosts College Applications

Reaction Score
Try this article. Successful hi profile sports (r anything else) is just branding/marketing. Good branding/marketing gets us more recognition, gets us more students. Its not debatable.

The Flutie Effect: How Athletic Success Boosts College Applications
I’m not saying that good sports can’t or don’t boost interest. That article says that higher level applicants don’t care as much about athletics but overall their applications do increase, in what I assume are already academically solid schools like Michigan or UNC. The article doesn’t state how significant that increase is amongst better students, but that whole half of the argument doesn’t need to be discussed. There surely is a net gain from having good athletics if the academics are decent, however small that gain may be.

The main issue I had with the initial post to which I responded was the notion that UConn academics will now start to decline or at best stagnate in the absence of continued athletic excellence.

Reaction Score
lol this is about what I expected. So T-shirts and hats make competitive applicants, with their presumed choice of institution to attend, want to go to specific universities; and that starts an upward spiral effect, because "cache". And this phenomenon is why Alabama and Kentucky are academic giants... oh wait.

I just looked up the stats on your average admitted student from 2016. It's no different from what I remember from I was accepted for 2008, after which we went to a Final Four, won two championships, and had some of our greatest success on the football field. Average GPA around 3.5, average SAT about 1230. The only staggering difference I saw was cost. Easiest google stats I found on out-of state students were from 2014 (immediately following NC #4) and far fewer than 40% of students were out of state; it was barely over 20%. And most of us (I was myself) are from the Northeast. UConn is a regional school irrespective of athletics; it was not at all a factor or motivator for me enrolling. Personally, I liked UConn's engineering program, the campus, and the size of the student body. I was oblivious to UConn athletics when I enrolled. Not sure what point you were trying to make of that anyway, or whose ass you pulled that stat out of.

Might want to find the Enter key from time to time by the way.
Great use of selective references and distorted characterizations. A simple litmus test is advertisers spend billions on advertising because it works. Free national network time is worth a lot. Brand matters. Perceived cache matters. Next, the competitive increase occurred over 25 years not from 2008 . It's not disputed. If you had a modest clue, you would know the high school students in Alabama are considerably lower performing compared to CT northeast students (stat- check the National Merit Scholar state qualification cut off scores ). Thus, Alabama , a state school, draws from a lower performing applicant pool in state. You would also know that Alabama gives free rides to National Merit Scholar finalists whereas most competitive schools don't do that. But, it's clear you have all the facts...

Reaction Score
Great use of selective references and distorted characterizations. A simple litmus test is advertisers spend billions on advertising because it works. Free national network time is worth a lot. Brand matters. Perceived cache matters. Next, the competitive increase occurred over 25 years not from 2008 . It's not disputed.
Oh so we are going to discount a third of that period that included 3 final fours and 2 NCs because it doesn't fit the narrative.
If you had a modest clue, you would know the high school students in Alabama are considerably lower performing compared to CT northeast students (stat- check the National Merit Scholar state qualification cut off scores ). Thus, Alabama , a state school, draws from a lower performing applicant pool in state. You would also know that Alabama gives free rides to National Merit Scholar finalists whereas most competitive schools don't do that. But, it's clear you have all the facts...
Oh, so you’re telling me kids in New England are better students overall. What a shock! And even greater so that they boosted UConn’s academic profile while kids in Alabama failed to elevate their state school. I was in the Engineering school and knew many other STEM kids i.e. the people who have boosted UConn's student profile. None of us came to UConn because of sports. None of them were in the student section when Hash put that triple double up on Providence. I was an outlier. UConn's desirability to the quality kids of New England was at best trivially increased by sports success. The consolidation of intellect explains UConn's rise more than what JC did on the court. Anything else you think correlates with having begun around 20-25 years ago? Maybe that little thing called UConn 2000?

How did Rutgers become a decent school while in the same Big East conference and being at the bottom of said conference? I'm from New Jersey; enlighten me as to why I chose UConn over RU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh so we are going to discount a third of that period that included 3 final fours and 2 NCs because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Oh, so you’re telling me kids in New England are better students overall. What a shock! And even greater so that they boosted UConn’s academic profile while kids in Alabama failed to elevate their state school. I was in the Engineering school and knew many other STEM kids i.e. the people who have boosted UConn's student profile. None of us came to UConn because of sports. None of them were in the student section when Hash put that triple double up on Providence. I was an outlier. UConn's desirability to the quality kids of New England was at best trivially increased by sports success. The consolidation of intellect explains UConn's rise more than what JC did on the court. Anything else you think correlates with having begun around 20-25 years ago? Maybe that little thing called UConn 2000?

How did Rutgers become a decent school while in the same Big East conference and being at the bottom of said conference? I'm from New Jersey; enlighten me as to why I chose UConn over RU.
I'm sorry you're from NJ...but Rutgers was always a decent school. There was a time until the 8os and prior when Rutgers was superior in academic standing to UConn and truth be told, they probably still are a better research institution in terms of capacity and breadth because they have been at it longer. You just haven't been on the earth long enough to know or appreciate that. Rutgers sucks because it was and remains situated in the armpit of US.. northern jersey.. I know because my family fled Elizabeth , Linden and Rahway in the late 1960s, and those that didn't are worse the wear.

Any way, you believe what you want.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry you're from NJ...but Rutgers was always a decent school. There was a time until the 8os and prior when Rutgers was superior in academic standing to UConn and truth be told, they probably still are a better research institution in terms of capacity and breadth because they have been at it longer. You just haven't been on the earth long enough to know or appreciate that. Rutgers sucks because it was and remains situated in the armpit of US.. northern jersey.. I know because my family fled Elizabeth , Linden and Rahway in the late 1960s, and those that didn't are worse the wear.

Any way, you believe what you want.
Got nothing left besides talking smack about Jersey. Sad. FWIW I agree on Jersey being generally undesirable; it’s either crummy areas like where your family and my dad grew up, or boring suburb areas. Haven’t been in the state (even my nicer town) for longer than a week or so since I left for UConn. But I’d take Jersey long-term over the majority of the other states in the union if for nothing more than good school districts and proximity to NY. But that’s as far as I will go to quasi-defend the state.

And I know that RU has always been up there as a school, especially for research and medicine. I grew up 20 minutes from the main campus and have multiple alums on my dad’s side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom