UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise?

Reaction Score
President Herbst has bigger issues on her plate than athletics. Hey, I enjoy UConn sports as much as anyone, but I don't believe UConn Athletics should be a priorty for the President. She should be focused on academics, research, getting the best professors and students at UConn. Leave the athletics to the AD.

LOL, UConn is where it is today because of athletics. Period. To suggest there 2 are disconnected or UConn is going to continue to rise up the rankings as basketball and football decline is a joke.

Reaction Score
Herbst knows and appreciates that athletic success is the front porch of the university. She also knows that the AAU is like a sorority— you have to be invited. She’s building the endowment, creating a revitalized campus environment, raising the academic level of the school. To suggest she has been anything but the best leader this University has ever had is simply disingenuous or sadly uninformed.

Reaction Score
At this point I like the idea of playing in the BE for basketball ONLY . ND can do it and the BE needs one more team for scheduling. SAVE OUR basketball.
People say that but they never explain how playing in football he Big East saves our basketball program. Inept coaching is the problem. In other words it is HOW we play not WHO we play that is the issue. But I’m happy to listen to the argument as long as it isn’t the same tired nonsense about bashing the AAC.

Reaction Score
They got incredible practice facilities built which is ,more than Lou Rome could get done.
Considering he never tried to get a practice facility built, not sure you can really hold that against him. Do you even know who Lou Rome was?

Reaction Score
People say that but they never explain how playing in football he Big East saves our basketball program. Inept coaching is the problem. In other words it is HOW we play not WHO we play that is the issue. But I’m happy to listen to the argument as long as it isn’t the same tired nonsense about bashing the AAC.

Money. Big East payments >>>>> AAC

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My only game prediction this year and I'm wrong. Sad. My only excuse is that my avatar fell out of a tree in Jamaica a few years back and neither of us has been the same since.

Reaction Score
LOL, UConn is where it is today because of athletics. Period. To suggest there 2 are disconnected or UConn is going to continue to rise up the rankings as basketball and football decline is a joke.
Please delineate the causative connection between improving basketball programs and UConn’s academic improvement.

And also why/how schools with limited (or no) athletics are able to improve academically

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I am sorry but she and Manuel flubbed the ACC invite. Instead of being proactive and aggressive, they monitored the situation while Jurich took their lunch money.

Specifically, how did we lose out on the invite? Are you speculating, or do you have solid insight?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Money. Big East payments >>>>> AAC

This is a fallacy. The difference between our overall AD revenue now compared with being in the NBE is negligible. We get our bowl revenue share from the AAC, whatever we make from our Tier 3 rights, and deals like Benedict made last year for a 1.2 million dollar payday to give up a home game to play BS College at Fenway. Also, take a look at the NBE TV ratings on FOX...abysmal. They're in for a rude awakening in their next round of media rights negotiations. Plus we have better TV coverage on ESPN/CBSSN. All our games are televised.

We go to the NBE and become independent or drop football, we lose all the football revenue producing streams. Nobody will want to play us, no bowl tie-ins, nothing. The NBE commissioner Val Ackerman also seems inclined to want to dictate to us what happens with our football program as a prerequisite for an invite.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Please delineate the causative connection between improving basketball programs and UConn’s academic improvement.

And also why/how schools with limited (or no) athletics are able to improve academically

Who said it’s the only way?

The connection is obvious. The state funded the school at a higher level because of the success of the basketball programs.

They would not have had the support in Hartford to make the investment otherwise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Years and years of excuses for everything around here.

Excuses for Diaco
Excuses for Ollie
Excuses for Warde
Excuses for Herbst
Excuses for Benedict

The athletic department under Herbst has become an absolute 5 alarm tire fire.

Perhaps you don’t think that matters much in the grand scheme.

That doesn’t change the fact she owns it. She owns Manuel. She owns Ollie. She owns Diaco. She owns Benedict.

She owns everything.

If SuzieLax charmed you while she was trying to extract donations that’s great. If you care about dumb magazine rankings that’s great.

If you care about the fact we may no longer have a major college athletic program within 5 years... this idea that it’s disingenous to lay the blame at her feet for something she owns is ridiculous.

We’ll see how many are left when we join the Patriot League.

Reaction Score

Do you seriously want to debate this one?

Reaction Score

Excuses for Diaco
Excuses for Ollie
Excuses for Warde
Excuses for Herbst
Excuses for Benedict

That doesn’t change the fact she owns it. She owns Manuel. She owns Ollie. She owns Diaco. She owns Benedict.

She owns everything.

If SuzieLax charmed you while she was trying to extract donations that’s great. If you care about dumb magazine rankings that’s great.

If you care about the fact we may no longer have a major college athletic program within 5 years... this idea that it’s disingenous to lay the blame at her feet for something she owns is ridiculous.

She's been an absolute disaster when it comes to athletics. She needs to be as far away as possible in the process of hiring the new coach.

Reaction Score
Who said it’s the only way?

The connection is obvious. The state funded the school at a higher level because of the success of the basketball programs.

They would not have had the support in Hartford to make the investment otherwise.
Did you read his post?

He went so far as to say that there is no way that UConn can continue to improve academically specifically because of the declining AD

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you read his post?

He went so far as to say that there is no way that UConn can continue to improve academically specifically because of the declining AD

The school won’t improve more academically because the money is about to get shut off. That would have happened either way. Bad basketball ain’t gonna help though.

Reaction Score

Excuses for Diaco
Excuses for Ollie
Excuses for Warde
Excuses for Herbst
Excuses for Benedict

She owns everything.

Considering Susan is the only constant I'm going to give Benedict a break for a while. We'll see his worth when T3 negotiations come up and we have no leverage because we suck

Reaction Score
The school won’t improve more academically because the money is about to get shut off. That would have happened either way.
Exactly
Bad basketball ain’t gonna help though.
Well no it won’t help

Post went way farther than that

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Considering Susan is the only constant I'm going to give Benedict a break for a while. We'll see his worth when T3 negotiations come up and we have no leverage because we suck

Benedict showed his worth when he drew up that extension in November 2016.

Reaction Score
Benedict showed his worth when he drew up that extension in November 2016.
Since when did we find out the extension was Benedict's idea and not Susan's and wardes?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The league owns all the T3 rights for football and men’s basketball.

Reaction Score
The league owns all the T3 rights for football and men’s basketball.
For now. Isn't that up for negotiation when the league renegotiates media rights and payouts?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For now. Isn't that up for negotiation when the league renegotiates media rights and payouts?

You think he’s got a Jedi mind trick to get the other 12 schools to take back their t3 from the league?

Reaction Score
It is the Connecticut economy. It is a disaster, a basket case. It not only hurts the school, it hurts the boosters and the fans. ITES.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom