UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise? | The Boneyard

UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise?

Reaction Score
They hired Herbst and ADS under whose watch our programs suffered.

Would this have happened under Lewis Rome?

How do these people get off not being responsible?

Reaction Score

Hindsight is always 20/20. Herbst has done very well on the academic side, from everything I’ve read including posts here. The 2 prior ADs... not much good there, but Benedict seems to be on the right path. Conference realignment screwed us. Can’t blame only people here for no invites.

Reaction Score
I do not blame those in the past, the past is done.

What I would like to know are how can these boosters and people with a lot of clout still 100% support Ollie. It is kind of obnoxious, actually.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

@8893, is this one yours too?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If only we could revolt and install a new board...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hindsight is always 20/20. Herbst has done very well on the academic side, from everything I’ve read including posts here. The 2 prior ADs... not much good there, but Benedict seems to be on the right path. Conference realignment screwed us. Can’t blame only people here for no invites.

Yeah, Herbst is very good at what her primary job is (sadly it's not MBB).

The best thing she could probably do for the school would be to get it to B10 academic level.

But she's also probably going to be running an actual B10 school sooner rather than later. She is pretty well regarded.

Reaction Score
At this point I like the idea of playing in the BE for basketball ONLY . ND can do it and the BE needs one more team for scheduling. SAVE OUR basketball.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Minus the research dollars required to get AAU membership, but UConn did just put in that new Tech Park by Busby so that certainly won't hurt if they are making a push for that.

This is what I meant.

If UConn can get that AAU membership, the B10 probably definitely increases.

Reaction Score
The UConn Board of Trustees is disappointing. Currently, there is only one member from outside of the state of Connecticut. Larry McHugh, until recently, was the Chairman. I am sure he is a perfectly nice man and very capable individual, but he was a local leader who was not the right person when conference realignment heated up and we needed a chairman with national connections.

The current board has three state commissioners, former Speaker of Connecticut House, the Governor, the mayor of West Hartford, a vet, a pharmacy owner, a VP in an engineering firm, the chief of staff of the Mohegan Tribe, Rebecca Lobo, an ex-chair of a foundation, a Chief Information Officer and a Chief Administrative Officer at large insurance companies, a law firm partner, a businessman and investor, and 2 former company CEOs. I am sure that they are all smart and dedicated to UConn, but is this a group of national movers and shakers that can help UConn with conference realignment?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The UConn Board of Trustees is disappointing. Currently, there is only one member from outside of the state of Connecticut. Larry McHugh, until recently, was the Chairman. I am sure he is a perfectly nice man and very capable individual, but he was a local leader who was not the right person when conference realignment heated up and we needed a chairman with national connections.

The current board has three state commissioners, former Speaker of Connecticut House, the Governor, the mayor of West Hartford, a vet, a pharmacy owner, a VP in an engineering firm, the chief of staff of the Mohegan Tribe, Rebecca Lobo, an ex-chair of a foundation, a Chief Information Officer and a Chief Administrative Officer at large insurance companies, a law firm partner, a businessman and investor, and 2 former company CEOs. I am sure that they are all smart and dedicated to UConn, but is this a group of national movers and shakers that can help UConn with conference realignment?
Thanks again for the data.

Reaction Score
Most of the athletic problems are the result of the Hathaway hire and Uconn is still trying to recover. I do not understand how anyone blames Herbst.

I don't blame you for not knowing the role of a President and athletic departments, but it goes way beyond the hiring of the AD. Attend the annual NCAA convention and you'll see 95% of the discussion is led by Presidents. When hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake, Presidents are heavily involved.

Reaction Score

You left off Donny Marshall. He has certainly done a tremendous job for UConn in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Most of the athletic problems are the result of the Hathaway hire and Uconn is still trying to recover. I do not understand how anyone blames Herbst.

Hathaway was asleep as BC, Miami and Va Tech were invited to join the ACC, while Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Louisville all were invited to join the ACC two (and three) years after she became UConn's President and after her AD, Warde Manuel, was hired.

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut Board of Trustees' Current Members

With Larry McHugh's exit, new BOT chairman, Paul Hastings' partner, and Greenwich resident Tom Kruger appears to bring a significant upgrade in professional leadership, accomplishment, contacts, networking, etc.

Reasonable questions may be asked regarding some non-student BOT members not required by its' by-laws or potentially state regs, but other highly-accomplished members likely have far more extensive professional and personal contacts nationally than some people may perceive. Poo pooing alumni ex-GE Capital CEO Nayden, Cigna's Global CIO Boxer, and Travelers' Bessett CAO and their respective accomplishments, professional and personal networks, etc. is a stretch.

On the other hand, believing UConn held the conference realignment cards or the BOT could have dramatically enhanced the university's realignment plight may be a dramatic stretch. Now, the hiring of some past failed university presidents, Hathaway's hiring, not influencing dramatically more proactive and professional fundraising, alumni and professional networking, etc. at least a few decades ago, etc. ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is right near the top of the US News and World Report rankings compared to all the B1G teams.
And, when people wake up tomorrow US News and World Report rankings will still be relatively meaningless compared with far more respected references.

C

Chief00

A good spot to start with change would be to expel Governor Malloy and his 3 Commissioners. That would open up 4 spots to hire someone qualified or well connected with Wall Street dollars. This would be a departure from the conventional thinking that to keep the State funding coming you need to stack the BOT with political hacks from Hartford.
It’s functioned this way for years with political hacks from both parties. It would be nice to see a break from this type of thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom