UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise?

Reaction Score
They hired Herbst and ADS under whose watch our programs suffered.

Would this have happened under Lewis Rome?

How do these people get off not being responsible?
They got incredible practice facilities built which is ,more than Lou Rome could get done.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
This is what I meant.

If UConn can get that AAU membership, the B10 probably definitely increases.
Receiving an AAU designation is something UConn should strive for as an academic institution. The list of schools with the designation is pretty impressive. All the BIG10 schools except Nebraska and many of the ACC schools. I still hold out hope that UConn ends up in one of those two conferences and the AAU can only help their case.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Receiving an AAU designation is something UConn should strive for as an academic institution. The list of schools with the designation is pretty impressive. All the BIG10 schools except Nebraska and many of the ACC schools. I still hold out hope that UConn ends up in one of those two conferences and the AAU can only help their case.
Agree 100%, and I think Herbst's attention has been squarely and properly focused on that goal; but institutionally we are handicapped by the state's dismal financial situation.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Living in Illinois I know all about a brake state. The state universities are at the front of the line for belt tightening. I'm going to try a new angle, I'm going to blame unfunded pension liability for the reason our our FB and MBB our performing poorly.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Hathaway was asleep as BC, Miami and Va Tech were invited to join the ACC, while Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Louisville all were invited to join the ACC two (and three) years after she became UConn's President and after her AD, Warde Manuel, was hired.

Hathaway was a disaster, but he can't be blamed for Miami/VA Tech leaving. He was at Colorado State at that time. That was when Big Lew Perkins saw the handwriting on the wall and made a swift exit stage left out of town. Hathaway replaced him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Trivia question: What is the only conference with 100% membership in the AAU?

Reaction Score
The board is terrible. So is Herbst as it relates to athletics. The verdict is still out on Benedict but I like him. He inherited an absolute disaster. We're lucky he hasn't left yet.
President Herbst has bigger issues on her plate than athletics. Hey, I enjoy UConn sports as much as anyone, but I don't believe UConn Athletics should be a priorty for the President. She should be focused on academics, research, getting the best professors and students at UConn. Leave the athletics to the AD.

Reaction Score
President Herbst has bigger issues on her plate than athletics. Hey, I enjoy UConn sports as much as anyone, but I don't believe UConn Athletics should be a priorty for the President. She should be focused on academics, research, getting the best professors and students at UConn. Leave the athletics to the AD.
But, athletics is what drove UConn 2000 and made the university what it is today. It has been the best marketing for the university and it has lead to better academics and better students applying to UConn.

Also, if she could ever get UConn into the AAU, it may lead to getting into the Big 10. It would also lead to greater research dollars and an enhanced academic perception.

In her position as President of UConn, she need to focus on both academics and athletics.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%, and I think Herbst's attention has been squarely and properly focused on that goal; but institutionally we are handicapped by the state's dismal financial situation.

That financial "situation" has a much bigger effect than any seems to realize. It not only affects the amount of money that the university can spend, it affects the donors and their generousity, that affects facilities and support, it affects season tickets sales and attendance, and it affects how other conferences assess UConn's fitness.

Reaction Score
That doesn't contradict anything I said. She still sucks with athletics. I personally can't stand her but that's worthy of a different thread.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
AAU is a closed shop. You have to be invited and it while you have to have north of $500m in endowment for reasearch- that still doesn't open the door. It is a goal of the university but the state budget cuts has taken the wind out of those sails because we don't have the money to attract the professors who bring research grants with them. AAU acceptance is a 20 year road with everything going right AND the association looking to add. Herbst is in year 7 so you can't really hold her accountable to the end product. She set us off on that path- but had literally 30 years of ineptitude to catch up on regarding AAU status.

Last edited:

QDOG5

Reaction Score
@hardcorehusky, you seem to know quite a bit about the AAU. Most of the schools seem somewhat predictable but then there are UBuffalo and Stony Brook and almost all of the UCalifornis schools. Can you shed some light on those schools and how they gained entrance?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
@hardcorehusky, you seem to know quite a bit about the AAU. Most of the schools seem somewhat predictable but then there are UBuffalo and Stony Brook and almost all of the UCalifornis schools. Can you shed some light on those schools and how they gained entrance?

Buffalo was admitted in 1989 and Stony Brook in 2001. Things changed as schools like Nebraska and Syracuse have recently lost their status. Boston U in 2012 was the last admittee.

A lot of the schools ecame members around the early 20th century.

When conference realignment was hot and there was a shot at the Big Ten- we learned a lot about the AAU on the Boneyard realignment board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I guess you are unaware of the academic reputation before UConn basketball took off in the 90s. She needs money for faculty, research, etc. Imagine what she could do with the money Pitt is making now from athletics. Instead she is sending UConn athletes to the legislature to plead for money.When UConn needed senior leadership most, she didn't get it done.

Reaction Score
Most of the athletic problems are the result of the Hathaway hire and Uconn is still trying to recover. I do not understand how anyone blames Herbst.
I am sorry but she and Manuel flubbed the ACC invite. Instead of being proactive and aggressive, they monitored the situation while Jurich took their lunch money.

Reaction Score
Not on current board.
I'm just curious. Did he leave on his own or was thrown out? I didn't get any word of this and know that someone who could have helped UConn, rather than himself, lost the alumni vote to him.

Reaction Score
That doesn't contradict anything I said. She still sucks with athletics. I personally can't stand her but that's worthy of a different thread.
She's focused on academics not realizing national sports exposure is a chief reason UConn has climbed the ranks through more applications yielding more selectivity and more competitive admission statistics. Classic hubris of an academic dean with no real sports appreciation ignoring the horse you rode to get you there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom