UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN BD of Trustes Responsibility for FB and MBB Demise?

Reaction Score
Most of the schools seem somewhat predictable but then there are UBuffalo and Stony Brook and almost all of the UCalifornis schools. Can you shed some light on those schools and how they gained entrance?
Besides big time research @QDOG5 ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Considering he never tried to get a practice facility built, not sure you can really hold that against him. Do you even know who Lou Rome was?
Yes I know who Lou Rome is: Rome, Case ,Kennelly and Klebinoff (now defunct). I've met him few times and was a nice guy. Do you know who he is? What did he ever accomplish for UConn?

Reaction Score
Yes I know who Lou Rome is: Rome, Case ,Kennelly and Klebinoff (now defunct). I've met him few times and was a nice guy. Do you know who he is? What did he ever accomplish for UConn?

FWIW - It was Lewis Rome...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UConn Board Chair, during "UConn 2000" years perhaps. Ran for Governor as a Republican & was law partner of Barbara Kennelly who was Democratic US Congress member and daughter of John Bailey who was CT & national Democratic Party chairman. Probably had broad political connections.

Reaction Score
Please delineate the causative connection between improving basketball programs and UConn’s academic improvement.

And also why/how schools with limited (or no) athletics are able to improve academically
You are joking right? Kids like to go to schools that bring some entertainment excitement and affiliation with winning brands. Winning brands get national air time worth tens of millions in free advertising. Winning brands show up on tee shirts and hats across the nation and beyond. It is cache. This increases free exposure and increases applicant pools. Larger applicant pools means more admission selectivity as measured by admission % rates, and average SAT scores and GPA statistics. As the school increases admissions selectivity, the school's ranking increases under the various criteria used by Forbes and USNWR. As the school's ranking increases, it creates a positive feedback loop with more highly competitive applicants seeking admission. The increase in overall quality of students entering UConn is staggeringly higher than it was in the past. It's transformed the school over the last 25 years. I know two valedictorians from highly respected high schools who ended up at UConn over Cornell in one case and over Little Ivies in another. The perceived educational value relative to cost was too good to pass up. 40% of the student body is from out if state and they could take more, but for their mandate to serve CT first. You can thank Marshsll, Hamilton, Boat, Okafor and dozens of other great players for that. In 1980, UConn was a second-thought safety State school. Not anymore. Nothing has moved the needle more than UConn winning on CBS in front of the nation.

Reaction Score
You are joking right? Kids like to go to schools that bring some entertainment excitement and affiliation with winning brands. Winning brands get national air time worth tens of millions in free advertising. Winning brands show up on tee shirts and hats across the nation and beyond. It is cache. This increases free exposure and increases applicant pools. Larger applicant pools means more admission selectivity as measured by admission % rates, and average SAT scores and GPA statistics. As the school increases admissions selectivity, the school's ranking increases under the various criteria used by Forbes and USNWR. As the school's ranking increases, it creates a positive feedback loop with more highly competitive applicants seeking admission. The increase in overall quality of students entering UConn is staggeringly higher than it was in the past. It's transformed the school over the last 25 years. I know two valedictorians from highly respected high schools who ended up at UConn over Cornell in one case and over Little Ivies in another. The perceived educational value relative to cost was too good to pass up. 40% of the student body is from out if state and they could take more, but for their mandate to serve CT first. You can thank Marshsll, Hamilton, Boat, Okafor and dozens of other great players for that. In 1980, UConn was a second-thought safety State school. Not anymore. Nothing has moved the needle more than UConn winning on CBS in front of the nation.
lol this is about what I expected. So T-shirts and hats make competitive applicants, with their presumed choice of institution to attend, want to go to specific universities; and that starts an upward spiral effect, because "cache". And this phenomenon is why Alabama and Kentucky are academic giants... oh wait.

I just looked up the stats on your average admitted student from 2016. It's no different from what I remember from I was accepted for 2008, after which we went to a Final Four, won two championships, and had some of our greatest success on the football field. Average GPA around 3.5, average SAT about 1230. The only staggering difference I saw was cost. Easiest google stats I found on out-of state students were from 2014 (immediately following NC #4) and far fewer than 40% of students were out of state; it was barely over 20%. And most of us (I was myself) are from the Northeast. UConn is a regional school irrespective of athletics; it was not at all a factor or motivator for me enrolling. Personally, I liked UConn's engineering program, the campus, and the size of the student body. I was oblivious to UConn athletics when I enrolled. Not sure what point you were trying to make of that anyway, or whose ass you pulled that stat out of.

Might want to find the Enter key from time to time by the way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn Board Chair, during "UConn 2000" years perhaps. Ran for Governor as a Republican & was law partner of Barbara Kennelly who was Democratic US Congress member and daughter of John Bailey who was CT & national Democratic Party chairman. Probably had broad political connections.
He was not a law partner of Barbara Kennelly, he was a law partner of John Kennelly, Barbara's husband. Either way Rome was connected through both parties.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He was not a law partner of Barbara Kennelly, he was a law partner of John Kennelly, Barbara's husband. Either way Rome was connected through both parties.
Thanks for the correction.

I lived out of state during all this time, so I made the assumption based on the puzzling sign I passed on Farmington Ave on visits to family, who coincidentally lived near Case.

Fwiw, one of Rome's Bloomfield street neighbors was president of the UConn Foundation and a Democrat.

And Klebanoff might have been chair of Public Utilities during the time of heightened Millstone nuclear power concerns pre- & post-Three Mile Island?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Part of what the OP misses is that the Athletic Excellence that is UConn is pure happenstance? Or is it? When you place your Program in Randy Edsall's hands, that is a strong statement that you will let one man guide a large part of your future Brand through the next years. Kevin Ollie? We are a basketball school. Geno Auriemma, Nancy Stevens, Jim Pender, Mike Cavanaugh. You need the Bell Cow to lead you and Kevin is failing. There's no way Geno ... and Jim Calhoun from out in the woods ... Dee Rowe ... and, all the many UConn related folks who prospered through a remarkable 30 year run, are going to stand for a diminished Program in MBB.

The OP turns on the reasoning that Ollie in 2017-2018 was absolutely predictable fail. And, I think myself and many others are keen observers of CBB; we did not see this 18 months ago. You evaluate and make change as needed.

Reaction Score
How do BD of Trustes members get appointed? Is it political-didn't Rowland appoint L McH. The buck stops at the top. We need connected,moving,shaking ,vision driven people on B of T.. Don't the B of Ts have to ultimately approve of everything? They have overseen the demise that is FB and MBB.

Reaction Score
How do BD of Trustes members get appointed? Is it political-didn't Rowland appoint L McH. The buck stops at the top. We need connected,moving,shaking ,vision driven people on B of T.. Don't the B of Ts have to ultimately approve of everything? They have overseen the demise that is FB and MBB.

Reaction Score
How do BD of Trustes members get appointed?

UConn Board of Trustees

The Board of Trustees is Comprised of 21 Members: Twelve appointed by the Governor; two elected by alumni; two elected by students; and five ex-officio, including the Governor, UConn Health Board of Directors Chair, and the Commissioners of Agriculture, Economic and Community Development, and Education.

Reaction Score
How strong is the new B of T chairman? Does he fill the requirements as stated above? How do we get the necessary QUALIFIED people?

Reaction Score
How strong is the new B of T chairman? Does he fill the requirements as stated above? How do we get the necessary QUALIFIED people?
see above - 12 of 21 are appointed by the Governor, 3 ex-officio Commissioners are appointed by the Governor, one is the Governor

Reaction Score
How strong is the new B of T chairman? Does he fill the requirements as stated above?
Reasonable questions can absolutely be asked regarding some politically-appointed BOT members' credentials and those of some elected BOT members. One way to improve qualifications of the latter is for far more alumni to actually vote in BOT elections versus ignoring messages and ending up with results of some minimal-participant popularity votes. Historically, a few too many appointed BOT members have been the result of both parties' gubernatorial whims, favors, etc.

Beyond most likely being far more professionally accomplished, higher educated, and well connected with national movers and shakers and prospective big-hanging donors than some potentially naive to ill informed individuals questioning Kruger's credentials, he's certainly well qualified, capable, and brings respected board experience to the table. Yup, the BOT and university could benefit from more Krugers, Naydens, et al.

Reaction Score
A good spot to start with change would be to expel Governor Malloy and his 3 Commissioners. That would open up 4 spots to hire someone qualified or well connected with Wall Street dollars. This would be a departure from the conventional thinking that to keep the State funding coming you need to stack the BOT with political hacks from Hartford.
It’s functioned this way for years with political hacks from both parties. It would be nice to see a break from this type of thinking.
A good spot to start with change would be to expel Governor Malloy and his 3 Commissioners. That would open up 4 spots to hire someone qualified or well connected with Wall Street dollars. This would be a departure from the conventional thinking that to keep the State funding coming you need to stack the BOT with political hacks from Hartford.
It’s functioned this way for years with political hacks from both parties. It would be nice to see a break from this type of thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom