UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As a sidebar to BC's 1940 Sugar Bowl game... BC was not allowed to bring its starting fullback to the game ( Montgomery.. forget now his first name ). He stayed home and listened to the game on the radio in his dorm room . His " offense " ? He was black. And the Sugar Bowl Committee and opponent Tennessee would not allow blacks to play in games there in the South. A fascinating book was written about this. When BC came back with their victory over Tennessee in that Sugar Bowl they gave the game ball to Montgomery. Awhile back, BC brought Montgomery's family to Alumni for another public recognition for his accomplisments that season, despite the Sugar Bowl's exclusion of his right to participate in the biggest game of this young lad's life.

Okay, so that is a cool story. Good job by BC.

Reaction Score
Uncle-Buck.jpg

1351140999_tumblr_mb16z8ARvv1rnolyr.jpg

Reaction Score
As a sidebar to BC's 1940 Sugar Bowl game... BC was not allowed to bring its starting fullback to the game ( Montgomery.. forget now his first name ). He stayed home and listened to the game on the radio in his dorm room . His " offense " ? He was black. And the Sugar Bowl Committee and opponent Tennessee would not allow blacks to play in games there in the South. A fascinating book was written about this. When BC came back with their victory over Tennessee in that Sugar Bowl they gave the game ball to Montgomery. Awhile back, BC brought Montgomery's family to Alumni for another public recognition for his accomplisments that season, despite the Sugar Bowl's exclusion of his right to participate in the biggest game of this young lad's life.
A good job by BC would be to boycott the game. Of course, not only did they side with the southern racists, they also decided to join them 65 years later.

Reaction Score
. Of course, not only did they side with the southern racists, they also decided to join them 65 years later.

Jeeez,... by your standard, Diaco should not be setting up a current rivalry game with a school in a state ( Florida ) that seceded from the Union and joined the Southern Confederacy even before Tennessee did..... because, afterall, northern Florida is full of " southern racists", right ?

Give that " racism " angle a break, Man... its 2015 now, not 1940. Time to bring yourself into the 21st century. Besides, you know that if the ACC called and invited Uconn to its " Southern Racists " league, your School President and 95% of the Uconn football fans would be doing multiple cartwheels of glee and would support the invite in a heartbeat. And you damn well know it ( haha!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe in the mid 1990's the Big E invited both UConn and Villanova to join the football side of things. Villanova declined. UConn accepted and began its upgrade in 1999, went to full D1A status in 2002 and was scheduled to move to the Big East in 2005 or 2006; but, that date was pushed-up to 2004 when Miami and V Tech bolted. Of course, outside of football, UConn, like BC, was an inaugural member in 1979.
You almost have it right. The Big East had an open invitation to both UConn & Villanova as schools with 1-AA football teams to make the upgrade to 1-A status & then they would be auto-invited to join the Big East Football Conference, but there was a time limit. The invitation was extended just before Skip Holtz was hired as head coach. Skippie even mentioned it as an enticement for his employment. The problem for UConn was the austerity issues in-state (this was way before UConn-2000). When Lew Perkins committed UConn to the upgrade, the State promised the ill fated UConn Dome at Adrien's Landing. This was screwed up royally by Bob Kraft's shenanigans promising to relocate the Patriots if the blue prints were altered to an NFL style outdoor facility.. Once the Patriots backed out, Pratt & Whitney came through with the Rentschler Field land donation. There was great tension between the Patriots backing out & the time of P & WA's donation because time was running out on the Big East's invitation.

Reaction Score
You almost have it right. The Big East had an open invitation to both UConn & Villanova as schools with 1-AA football teams to make the upgrade to 1-A status & then they would be auto-invited to join the Big East Football Conference, but there was a time limit. The invitation was extended just before Skip Holtz was hired as head coach. Skippie even mentioned it as an enticement for his employment. The problem for UConn was the austerity issues in-state (this was way before UConn-2000). When Lew Perkins committed UConn to the upgrade, the State promised the ill fated UConn Dome at Adrien's Landing. This was screwed up royally by Bob Kraft's shenanigans promising to relocate the Patriots if the blue prints were altered to an NFL style outdoor facility.. Once the Patriots backed out, Pratt & Whitney came through with the Rentschler Field land donation. There was great tension between the Patriots backing out & the time of P & WA's donation because time was running out on the Big East's invitation.
Speaking of former Uconn AD, Lew Perkins, we'll never see Blumenthal and Perkins on each others Christmas Card send list.As most here are probably aware Blumy's lawsuit was severely compromised in depos of both Swofford and Perkins that Perkins phone records show dates and times that Perkins was privately petitioning the ACC to get Uconn at invite. Nothing wrong with that.... except the timing. Blumy was completely unaware of Perkins doing this at the launch of his ACC, Swofford, et al lawsuit. I personally mentioned this to Blumy at a wedding reception we mutually attended in Connecticut a few years back and he acknowledged that he was unaware of Perkins private contacts with Swofford at the time. Blumy then said..... " Mr. Perkins moved far, far away from Connecticut after this time period, and that fact is probably celebrated by both he and hundreds of others". He smiled. I did too. And it was clear there is no love lost between Blumy and Perkins.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with someone having an agenda. But, when someone tries to hide it, they lose all credibility. When the attempt at a hidden agenda is this poor, it becomes insulting. It also demonstrates a complete lack of self awareness and intellectual integrity.

Maybe you are f@@king with everyone, or think you are. That you have so much time on your hands also suggests a pretty sad existence I suspect.

Reaction Score
Jeeez,... by your standard, Diaco should not be setting up a current rivalry game with a school in a state ( Florida ) that seceded from the Union and joined the Southern Confederacy even before Tennessee did..... because, afterall, northern Florida is full of " southern racists", right ?

Give that " racism " angle a break, Man... its 2015 now, not 1940. Time to bring yourself into the 21st century. Besides, you know that if the ACC called and invited Uconn to its " Southern Racists " league, your School President and 95% of the Uconn football fans would be doing multiple cartwheels of glee and would support the invite in a heartbeat. And you damn well know it ( haha!)
So you won't ackowledge that they shouldn't have played the game if they really cared about their african american teammate?
I mean the Big 10 teams didn't do a bowl game so it's not like you would have been an outlier.

Reaction Score
Maybe you are f@@king with everyone, or think you are. That you have so much time on your hands also suggests a pretty sad existence I suspect.

I don't waste my time with those that simply want to engage in personal insults with me. If thats " your thing:, fine and all, but its just a waste of your time as well.... so.... whatever.

Reaction Score
Speaking of former Uconn AD, Lew Perkins, we'll never see Blumenthal and Perkins on each others Christmas Card send list.As most here are probably aware Blumy's lawsuit was severely compromised in depos of both Swofford and Perkins that Perkins phone records show dates and times that Perkins was privately petitioning the ACC to get Uconn at invite. Nothing wrong with that.... except the timing. Blumy was completely unaware of Perkins doing this at the launch of his ACC, Swofford, et al lawsuit. I personally mentioned this to Blumy at a wedding reception we mutually attended in Connecticut a few years back and he acknowledged that he was unaware of Perkins private contacts with Swofford at the time. Blumy then said..... " Mr. Perkins moved far, far away from Connecticut after this time period, and that fact is probably celebrated by both he and hundreds of others". He smiled. I did too. And it was clear there is no love lost between Blumy and Perkins.
How did you get this alleged information?

Reaction Score
BCU sucks. They are a mediocre football program at best. Any demand of more than 1 to 1 series would be a joke. UCONN does not need BCU. Frankly, I would rather see UCONN sign up for another series with BYU.

Comparing BCU football to UCONN basketball in the NE is laughable. UCONN has achieved in basketball BCU can only dream of in football.

B1G considers UCONN a P5 opponent. If UCONN ever gets into the B1G, BCU would be ever more irrelevant than they are now if that's even possible.

Reaction Score
While that may be the case, there was a 0% chance UConn would've gained admission to the ACC at the time Perkins would've been lobbying, presumably 02-03. We weren't even a full 1A member at that time, so any lobbying would've had to be for some kind of down the road pipe dream. That said, I've always felt that lawsuit was dumb and ridiculous - though it was as much spearheaded by others in the BE, including VT and Pitt, as it was UConn and the state.

Reaction Score
1. as much as I despize BCU, a series with them is far, far more beneficial to UConn than one with BYU. A BC series fills in the corner and upper seats at the Rent in a way BYU never can.

2.UConn would have been better off if Blumenthal had gone to Kansas instead of Perkins. Perkins had many faults starting with creating a greedy work culture that got people sent to jail at KU. But Perkins' presence was a net plus for UConn, especially considering what followed.

Reaction Score
While that may be the case, there was a 0% chance UConn would've gained admission to the ACC at the time Perkins would've been lobbying, presumably 02-03. We weren't even a full 1A member at that time, so any lobbying would've had to be for some kind of down the road pipe dream. That said, I've always felt that lawsuit was dumb and ridiculous - though it was as much spearheaded by others in the BE, including VT and Pitt, as it was UConn and the state.

I agree.... on all points here.

Reaction Score
One thing that can bring most BC and Uconn fans together on, in complete agreement.... BC's former AD Defilippo was a complete jerk.

Reaction Score
I agree.... on all points here.
Many forget that VT was part of that original lawsuit, then dropped out and the ACC seemingly forgave them when they were suddenly swapped in and Syracuse was swapped out. Pitt's chancellor was also one of the leading charges in the suit as well, which was also forgiven by the ACC when they were added. UConn and Blumenthal were certainly vocal, but those who say UConn hasn't gotten into the ACC because of that lawsuit are using a very revisionist form of history.

Reaction Score
I don't waste my time with those that simply want to engage in personal insults with me. If thats " your thing:, fine and all, but its just a waste of your time as well.... so.... whatever.
Bullspit.

Reaction Score

Oh please ............

Reaction Score
those who say UConn hasn't gotten into the ACC because of that lawsuit are using a very revisionist form of history.

Ya, I personally don't subscribe to the lawsuit as the principal reason that no P5 league currently wants UConn in its league either. Its probably a multiplicity of factors, with the lawsuit that had its origins in Connecticut probably just complicating the matter.... no more, no less, in my opinion. I know that there are lots of people around the country that would disagree with you and me on this however.

Reaction Score
BC decided to help the racists by keeping starting fullback home because of JIM CROW, BC should have told the Sugar Bowl and the Vols that he will be starting in the game or we'll boycott. If BC and other northern schools should have done it if they got invited to the Orange and Sugar Bowls.
Of course, it was a different time, but Jim Crow laws was wrong.

Reaction Score
1. as much as I despize BCU, a series with them is far, far more beneficial to UConn than one with BYU. A BC series fills in the corner and upper seats at the Rent in a way BYU never can.

2.UConn would have been better off if Blumenthal had gone to Kansas instead of Perkins. Perkins had many faults starting with creating a greedy work culture that got people sent to jail at KU. But Perkins' presence was a net plus for UConn, especially considering what followed.

If Blumenthal went to Kansas, at least he wouldn't be in the Senate and screwing up FREEDOMS. Kansans would never vote for that moron. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom