UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score

It was reported in this thread through a tweet from UConn baseball that Andy Hague led the team in batting average in fall ball. Hague pretty much lost his starting job at SS this past season because of his lack of offensive production. If Hague keeps his bat going in the spring, have to figure that with his defensive reputation that he is very likely the leading contender to be the starting shortstop this coming spring.

Reaction Score
As a quick aside... the multi-talented Chris Jones doing the highlight videos of the UConn Football Class of 2021 early signers.

Never a bad thing to get a Chris Jones fix during UConn baseball downtime. By the way, earlier this fall he did some field hockey interviews, and I believe he also did women's soccer interviews as well.

Reaction Score
Never a bad thing to get a Chris Jones fix during UConn baseball downtime. By the way, earlier this fall he did some field hockey interviews, and I believe he also did women's soccer interviews as well.
Chris is great with the baseball stuff. But his football highlights are C+ at best. It needs some work.

Reaction Score
Any idea who the four teams in the Top 30 are for the 2021 season? I realize it is fluid but I'm anxious to watch baseball if able.

Penders has mentioned #14 UVA being on the schedule next year. It was supposed to be in a tourney but it will end up being @ Virginia or somewhere a little further South based on weather. I also seem to remember #23 Coastal
Carolina being on tap as well.

Reaction Score
Jim Penders interview

Nice interview and hey lets be honest any reminder or link to the baseball season scratches some of the itch we all have during this time of year. ;)

Another interesting Coach Penders interview, which is pretty much always the case. He doesn't talk about any of the players on the current team, but he does talk a lot about what goes into the UConn baseball program, and how he approaches coaching and teaching the team. As is often the case, there is a lot of good stuff in this interview.

Reaction Score
Based on recent tweets regarding Big East Baseball, it sounds like two 4-game-sets vs St John's and Seton Hall are likely to be 16 of the 56 games this spring.

Reaction Score
Their are some additions and subtractions to the UConn baseball roster posted on the UConn athletics website, which now list 44 players if I counted correctly. No longer listed on the roster are Josh Cohen, Zach Donahue, Mitchell Pascarella, and Noah Yokoi.

There are also a couple of additions to the roster. David Smith, the transfer from LaSalle who was previously reported as transferring to UConn is now listed. I did a quick check, and found that he is no longer listed on the LaSalle roster for the coming year. Also newly listed is Matt Donlan, a redshirt sophomore catcher from Guilford, CT. It seems that he originally went to Stonehill College and played there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if those 4 players you mentioned are Redshirting this year. I could see Cohen, Donahue and Pascarella doing it with the log jam of players at several positions. I didn’t think they had redshirts listed on the roster and they would just be on the “taxi squad.”

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I wonder if those 4 players you mentioned are Redshirting this year. I could see Cohen, Donahue and Pascarella doing it with the log jam of players at several positions. I didn’t think they had redshirts listed on the roster and they would just be on the “taxi squad.”
No indication on social media from Josh Cohen about moving on

Reaction Score
No indication on social media from Josh Cohen about moving on
Nor Pascarella...

...was Cohen ever on the 2020 roster?

Reaction Score

Nor Pascarella...

...was Cohen ever on the 2020 roster?

I recall seeing Josh Cohen was on a previous 2020 fall ball roster.

In a recent interview that was linked to the Boneyard baseball threads, Coach Penders was talking about the incoming nine member freshman class, and mentioned one of the freshman had left school and returned home in response to the Covid crisis. Penders said that he expected that player would be back for the 2021-2022 school year, and back with the baseball team at that time. Penders did not identify the player in that interview, but it would now seem apparent that the player Penders was referring to is Mitch Pascarella.

Perhaps Josh Cohen has left under a similar proviso as well. Remember, he dealt with cancer while he was a high school student, and it could be his immune system is considered compromised when it comes to the pandemic. Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

Reaction Score

The "taxi squad" was never officially part of the 35 man roster, but as a courtesy to those players in the last few seasons they were listed on the website in season roster. It made them feel more a part of the team, so to speak.

As for the regular "taxi squad" that we have seen in recent seasons, I'm not sure what we will see in the upcoming season. I say this considering UConn's roster limit is already up to 39 with the four seniors from last season that came back to the team for the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, the baseball team returns to campus tomorrow, January 3. I believe Coach Penders indicated that in one the interviews he did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was at the sports card show in Enfield today and Andy Hague was there. He talked a little about the team and said that they are going to have a great group! He’s a great person along with so many guys on the team that are such down to earth and awesome people!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom