UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love all these posts from the team about the Fall stats but can’t help but chuckle that these great pitching stats are coming against....UConn hitters.
I was thinking about that the other day - if they are pitching against the 2nd and 3rd string guys then these numbers aren't so great. If it is against our everyday lineup, I am concerned about hitting next year.

Reaction Score

>“We had nine of our nine freshmen contract (COVID-19) within the first couple of weeks on campus,” Penders said. “There was a situation with one dorm that was actually quarantined by the state. They happened to be in that dorm. It was running rampant through that dorm.

“Our guys luckily did not suffer any serious symptoms. A couple of guys lost taste or smell for a day or two, but it was never anything beyond that. We had one guy elect to go home and sit out this year. We hope to have him back next year. We had maybe 12 or 13 cases on the roster from summer until now.”<

Coach Penders also says in the podcast that the players will return to campus on January 3 to get ready for the spring season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would someone be able to take the D1 Baseball preview article and paste into this thread please? I don’t have access to read it, not a member unfortunately. Thanks

Reaction Score
Would someone be able to take the D1 Baseball preview article and paste into this thread please? I don’t have access to read it, not a member unfortunately. Thanks
Check DM...

Reaction Score

A .380 on base percentage is nothing to sneeze at. I have to think Kevin Ferrer is in contention to get playing time in the outfield or at D.H. Of course, it has been mentioned more than once in interviews and such that this UConn team has a lot of quality depth, so it seems that some quality players will be coming off the bench.

Reaction Score

In a recent Coach Penders interview he stated that all nine freshmen on the team had Covid early in the fall semester. Considering the above referenced more than solid fall ball performance, it would seem that Bobby McBride has recovered very nicely.

Given the apparent quality depth of the returning players on the team plus the transfers coming into the program, I don't expect that we will see many of the incoming freshmen get much playing time in the coming spring season. However, perhaps someone like McBride can get on the field and help out the team in the coming season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is good information in this report. I will say much of it has already been reported this fall through various interviews with the coaches.

I mentioned before that virtually everything in the D1baseball report on UConn had pretty much been reported in the various interviews with the coaching staff that have been reported in this thread. Basically, reporting much of that stuff from that article would just be a repeat of what had been previously reported. However, very little has been said about any of the incoming freshmen, so here are a few passages concerning the freshmen that got mentioned in this article. It isn't much, but it is something:

>True freshman righthander Bobby McBride shows great potential as he features an above average slider and a fastball up to 93.<

>Exciting true freshman Bryan Padilla played at Poly Prep in Brooklyn, New York which is also the alma mater of former Husky shortstop Anthony Prato. Padilla is a draft prospect with outstanding hands, a plus arm, and an advanced approach.<

>True freshman outfielder Korey Morton was a high school track star and he is the fastest player at UConn since George Springer.<

Reaction Score
There is one veteran UConn baseball player on the fall ball roster who to my knowledge has gotten no mentions in the various interviews or in tweets that have been posted to this thread. That would be Randy Polonia.

Reaction Score
There is one veteran UConn baseball player on the fall ball roster who to my knowledge has gotten no mentions in the various interviews or in tweets that have been posted to this thread. That would be Randy Polonia.

Not sure how physically impacted he was from the burns he got in that accident back in July...

Reaction Score
One other note on the D1Baseball article on UConn baseball. As did a recent interview with Coach Penders, there is a mention of Caleb Wurster being trained in fall ball to be a starter for the coming spring season. Wurster has been a terrific reliever the last two seasons. However, he was not selected in the MLB draft this past summer. While Wurster is extremely effective out of the pen, he lacks the huge fastball that professional baseball looks for in relief pitchers these days. Coach Penders and Wurster no doubt realize this, but it is still pretty obvious that Wurster is a quality pitcher. I'm thinking to move to being a starter is being driven to increase the attractiveness of Wurster being taken in the next MLB draft by showing that he can be effective as a starter. Because of this, I'm inclined now to think Wurster is probably the leading possibility to end up being the Sunday starter, assuming that he remains effective in that role.

Edit: UConn pitching staff seems to have plenty of quality depth, so the move of Wurster to the starting rotation shouldn't be a big deal, as the bullpen should have guys who can do the job. Also, it just remembered that Wurster was used as a starter during this past summer ball season, so this is does not appear to be a spur of a moment decision.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom