UConn Baseball 2021

I wonder if those 4 players you mentioned are Redshirting this year. I could see Cohen, Donahue and Pascarella doing it with the log jam of players at several positions. I didn’t think they had redshirts listed on the roster and they would just be on the “taxi squad.”

Nor Pascarella...

...was Cohen ever on the 2020 roster?

I recall seeing Josh Cohen was on a previous 2020 fall ball roster.

In a recent interview that was linked to the Boneyard baseball threads, Coach Penders was talking about the incoming nine member freshman class, and mentioned one of the freshman had left school and returned home in response to the Covid crisis. Penders said that he expected that player would be back for the 2021-2022 school year, and back with the baseball team at that time. Penders did not identify the player in that interview, but it would now seem apparent that the player Penders was referring to is Mitch Pascarella.

Perhaps Josh Cohen has left under a similar proviso as well. Remember, he dealt with cancer while he was a high school student, and it could be his immune system is considered compromised when it comes to the pandemic. Of course, this is just speculation on my part.

I wonder if those 4 players you mentioned are Redshirting this year. I could see Cohen, Donahue and Pascarella doing it with the log jam of players at several positions. I didn’t think they had redshirts listed on the roster and they would just be on the “taxi squad.”

The "taxi squad" was never officially part of the 35 man roster, but as a courtesy to those players in the last few seasons they were listed on the website in season roster. It made them feel more a part of the team, so to speak.

As for the regular "taxi squad" that we have seen in recent seasons, I'm not sure what we will see in the upcoming season. I say this considering UConn's roster limit is already up to 39 with the four seniors from last season that came back to the team for the upcoming season.

If I remember correctly, the baseball team returns to campus tomorrow, January 3. I believe Coach Penders indicated that in one the interviews he did.

Last edited:
Was at the sports card show in Enfield today and Andy Hague was there. He talked a little about the team and said that they are going to have a great group! He’s a great person along with so many guys on the team that are such down to earth and awesome people!

Of course, any scheduled games for this season has to be considered tentative:

I believe Coach Penders has referenced the Virginia trip in interviews done in 2020. That trip would be to open the season if I remember correctly. That games in that trip previously had been scheduled for a tournament set up with other teams involved as well.

Last edited:
As I anticipate not the greatest answer in the world, I will still pose the question anyway... do you think that there will be fans allowed at Elliott Ballpark when the first home opener comes around?

As I anticipate not the greatest answer in the world, I will still pose the question anyway... do you think that there will be fans allowed at Elliott Ballpark when the first home opener comes around?

No clue but if not allowed in the stadium... I will be lurking in the woods behind right field! I wonder if a socially distanced tree stand would be allowed 😉

Seriously - no clue but socially distancing on the berm shouldn’t be that difficult if they want to avoid people in the stands for a bit...

Unfortunately it's all COVID related. As of today about 7 million folks have been vaccinated and about 14 million people have had it and recovered. That's about 6% of the USA population. We currently vaccinate about 600,000 people a day and it is ramping up fast. Of course, some percentage of the population has natural immunity. Try to find that number anywhere.

We usually start playing baseball right after Valentine's Day which is, what, 19 days from now? So who the heck knows?

19 days from today?
Sorry. The real number is more like 34 days from now.They vaccinated 700,000 on Saturday so the vaccinations per day keeps rising. With no rise that would add 23 million plus or 37 million total,or 11 percent of the total population. (we really need them to go faster).

Obviously, don't trust my math. Dumb and Dumber was more appropriate than I imagined.

According to info on the roster biographies on the UConn baseball website, recent transfers Matt Donlan and David Smith are not eligible for the upcoming 2021 season.

According to info on the roster biographies on the UConn baseball website, recent transfers Matt Donlan and David Smith are not eligible for the upcoming 2021 season.

Likely related to the delay this week in voting for the one-time transfer exemption that was pending final approval:

->The proposed one-time transfer rule would allow football players in the Bowl Subdivision and athletes in men’s and women’s basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey to play immediately rather than sit out for a year the first time they move to another school.-<

I figured a new way to give myself optimism for a normal mid February start to college baseball.

Don't look at the whole USA population as those under 18 rarely gets sick from COVID. That means we are dealing with a population of 210 million American adults. As of yesterday 10 million adults have been vaccinated and 14 million have recovered. That means 11.4% of the adult population has some kind of immunity. Yesterday 950 thousand people received the vaccination. So even using a very conservative 1 million a day for the next 30 days, we will have 25% of country (adults) with some immunity by Valentines.

That should put some dent into the cases and deaths, perhaps, enough to start a pretty normal baseball season. Thanks for putting up with my specualtions. I'm just so sick of this.

I figured a new way to give myself optimism for a normal mid February start to college baseball.

Don't look at the whole USA population as those under 18 rarely gets sick from COVID. That means we are dealing with a population of 210 million American adults. As of yesterday 10 million adults have been vaccinated and 14 million have recovered. That means 11.4% of the adult population has some kind of immunity. Yesterday 950 thousand people received the vaccination. So even using a very conservative 1 million a day for the next 30 days, we will have 25% of country (adults) with some immunity by Valentines.

That should put some dent into the cases and deaths, perhaps, enough to start a pretty normal baseball season. Thanks for putting up with my specualtions. I'm just so sick of this.

We are all sick of it but let’s please not turn this thread into another circuitous Covid policy discussion. It rarely turns out well. When the season happens - it happens.

Will the new facility come with the side benefit of streaming video of all home games? All the big programs do this; heck, there are some high schools that do! I mean, Jonesie does a great job and all, but...

Will the new facility come with the side benefit of streaming video of all home games? All the big programs do this; heck, there are some high schools that do! I mean, Jonesie does a great job and all, but...

I can't say all home baseball games in the past were streamed, but a goodly chunk of them were, with Chris Jones and WHUS often providing the audio. Hopefully they will have better camera angles than in the past.

Last edited:

Another benefit of the new baseball facility. Coach Penders alluded to this in recent interviews indicating they were able to do more practices and scrimmages in the fall on the field than they have in past years.

Top Bottom