UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
2021 Media Guide is up:

While I look at the baseball section of the UConn Athletics website regularly, I had kind of forgotten to look for the new media guide. The media guide does contain this blurb on radio broadcasts:

WHUS, the student and community radio station for the UConn campus, will once again broadcast live UConn baseball games but due to Covid-19 won’t be able to cover every game like a normal season. Chris Jones begins his ninth season on the mic for Husky baseball games.<

Quite frankly, I was concerned that with the pandemic that WHUS would not be able to do any games this season since the WHUS air studio have been closed since March due to the pandemic. In the past a studio engineer has been needed whenever a game is on the air. As everyone who regularly follows UConn baseball on the Boneyard probably knows by now, WHUS broadcasts by Chris Jones have been my primary way of following UConn baseball games over the years.

Reaction Score
While I look at the baseball section of the UConn Athletics website regularly, I had kind of forgotten to look for the new media guide. The media guide does contain this blurb on radio broadcasts:

Quite frankly, I was concerned that with the pandemic that WHUS would not be able to do any games this season since the WHUS air studio have been closed since March due to the pandemic. In the past a studio engineer has been needed whenever a game is on the air. As everyone who regularly follows UConn baseball on the Boneyard probably knows by now, WHUS broadcasts by Chris Jones have been my primary way of following UConn baseball games over the years.

I knew something might be in the works on sports broadcasts on WHUS. With their air studio closed, WHUS during the pandemic has done primarily computer generated music programming, but as time goes by they have added some shows that people have been recording from home. During the Christmas holiday week, a few of the people who had been recording shows also put together several hours of special Christmas/holiday music. It was great to listen to, and much better than the nameless computer generated music shows that WHUS fills most of their airtime with during the pandemic. So I sent an email to WHUS thanking them for producing these holiday shows. In the email I told them that in the past I enjoyed listening to both their sports programing and to music shows that were actually put together by real people rather than computers. In their response back to me, WHUS indicated that while nothing was definite, they were trying to work out a way to provide some live sports broadcasts in the upcoming year. That news was a pleasant surprise to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Incredible tribute indeed to Coach Baylock. Dee Rowe and Andy Baylock proved to be a great one two punch in terms of their long term importance to UConn Athletics and as Husky Ambassadors over the years, even after their head coaching days were over.. No great surprise that they were both great friends with each other as well.

Reaction Score

College Baseball Nation has UConn as a 3 seed heading to Vanderbilt... I think we could do better and possibly grab a 2 seed. Tough now without some of the good AAC teams but if we could grab key wins early in the year, we could move up

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Clemson is very bearable; their fans are down on their own team on college baseball Reddit.

plus we all remember what happened...last time...

Reaction Score
Baseball America Field of 64 Projection.

(Spoiler Alert... UConn > Big East Auto-bid and a #3 seed in Louisville)

Reaction Score
@ Virginia will be a tough series to open with.

I like Charlottesville to visit in the springtime, but February is a little cool for me if overcast.

If, like at Florida teams, there is a 25% capacity rule in place, tickets may be hard to come by (most go to Virginia fans) except maybe Stubhub.

The ACCN does announce it will have a live baseball game at 3:00 pm on 2-19...but does not list teams as yet.

Reaction Score
Maybe Polonia will be a back end bullpen guy... he could be the new closer in the event Wurster is a starter

Reaction Score
The UVA schedule has an ACCN link listed on the UConn games. I think it's an ESPN+ subsidiary?
@ Virginia will be a tough series to open with.

I like Charlottesville to visit in the springtime, but February is a little cool for me if overcast.

If, like at Florida teams, there is a 25% capacity rule in place, tickets may be hard to come by (most go to Virginia fans) except maybe Stubhub.

The ACCN does announce it will have a live baseball game at 3:00 pm on 2-19...but does not list teams as yet.

Reaction Score
It looks like the ACCN 3:00 pm game...

ACCN on 612 Direct TV...Dish 402...Spectrum 388...Verizon fios 571-71
For those of us in southern CT and the NYC areas, I believe it’s 248 on Optimum. As much as I and many others love Jones, it’ll be cool to watch the team on tv!

Reaction Score

UConn projected to win the Conference and Kyler Fedko predicted to be POY.

-> Connecticut will kick off 2021 with a challenging road slate before opening up its new home, Elliott Ballpark, on March 23; their success will start with a lethal everyday lineup. Kyle Fedko continues to get better and better, as he had a big fall coming off of a big, yet abbreviated, spring (.412/.434/.627) and should power this team as one of the conference’s best prospects and overall players. Christian Fedko tied his younger brother with 12 RBIs in 2020 and will once again man second base. Behind the plate, you’ll find Pat Winkel and roaming center field will be his brother Chris, two more proven performers at key positions. First baseman Reggie Crawford is a name to remember for the 2022 draft and he hit the ground running a year ago, hitting .365/.414/.558 while leading the team in RBIs (16). A standout athlete at 6-foot-4, 235-pounds, Crawford can also contribute out of the bullpen as a lefthanded pitcher. UMass Lowell transfer Ciaran Devenney will back up Pat Winkel behind the plate and DH when he’s not, as he hit .287/.446/.566 with seven bombs in 2019. Third baseman Zach Bushling will lead off with proven on-base skills. The biggest question mark in the lineup comes at shortstop. Andy Hague is a glove-first defender at the position and enjoyed a good fall but hasn’t been especially productive at the plate to this point in his career. If he doesn’t hit, Bushling or freshman Bryan Padilla could get more looks.

UNC transfer and staff ace-to-be Ben Casparius has made the full-time conversion to pitching after beginning his career primarily as a position player and has really taken off. His fastball has been clocked at 91-95 mph with three other secondary pitches that he throws for strikes. Fellow righthander Joe Simeone is one of the key holdovers from last year’s starting staff, posting a 3.00 ERA in four starts and striking out 23 batters in 15 innings thanks to an 88-91 mph fastball, a plus changeup and an improving slider. Another transfer, 6-foot-6, 230-pound righthander Austin Peterson, uses his size well to fire 88-92 mph fastballs downhill and he could be in line for a weekend role. Jimmy Wang, who throws 90-95, could see time in both the rotation and bullpen with Kenneth Haus serving as the primary setup man for closer Caleb Wurster. Wurster is a lefthander that throws from a lower slot which makes his 88-92 mph fastball play up when it comes to missing bats.<-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom