UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 25 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Agreed. Assuming Christian Fedko, Stock, and Bushling are back next season (and to me it is looking like that is the case), the lineup should be in okay shape. Also hoping that TC Simmons and David Smith (who is looking good in summer ball) turn into productive players as well. Sooner or later UConn recruiting will need to provide some productive players with incoming freshmen and other youngsters for the following seasons, but next season the offense looks like it could still be in good shape
The pitching staff is in decent shape with Petersen, Chuboda and Pat Gallagher. The bullpen will be a little thing but Justin Willis looks to be the cornerstone piece. Jimmy Wang or Garrett Coe could make for the 4th starter. Having a healthy Devin Kirby makes things interesting so hopefully he can make an impact. And, there’s always Reggie

Reaction Score
The pitching staff is in decent shape with Petersen, Chuboda and Pat Gallagher. The bullpen will be a little thing but Justin Willis looks to be the cornerstone piece. Jimmy Wang or Garrett Coe could make for the 4th starter. Having a healthy Devin Kirby makes things interesting so hopefully he can make an impact. And, there’s always Reggie

Assuming they come back to Storrs, if they continue to progress, then Austin Peterson and Pat Gallagher potentially are a nice 1-2 punch for the start of the weekend rotation. Cole Chudoba was used as a starter for Assumption College and considering he has done quite well in a limited number of appearances for Bourne in the Cape League, so it would seem he would be a natural the other weekend starting spot. Of course, that would depend on how Reggie Crawford gets used when he pitches. With all the tweet publicity he has been getting this summer for his pitching, you have to think he will see a lot more time on the mound next spring for UConn. Coe is as good a guess as any for a weekday starter at this point. We'll have to see how the rest of the pitching staff develops in the fall and spring, UConn has a number of pitchers doing interesting things in summer ball so far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Assuming they come back to Storrs, if they continue to progress, then Austin Peterson and Pat Gallagher potentially are a nice 1-2 punch for the start of the weekend rotation. Cole Chudoba was used as a starter for Assumption College and considering he has done quite well in a limited number of appearances for Bourne in the Cape League, so it would seem he would be a natural the other weekend starting spot. Of course, that would depend on how Reggie Crawford gets used when he pitches. With all the tweet publicity he has been getting this summer for his pitching, you have to think he will see a lot more time on the mound next spring for UConn. Coe is as good a guess as any for a weekday starter at this point. We'll have to see how the rest of the pitching staff develops in the fall and spring, UConn has a number of pitchers doing interesting things in summer ball so far.

Of course, doing interesting things in summer ball doesn't necessarily translate to success during the regular college season. I can think of a number of UConn players who did well in summer ball, but never made a real big splash during the college season as a Husky. At this point the biggest pitching staff question will be how much pitching depth that this team will have next season.

I'm figuring Reggie Crawford to be the closer next season considering I don't believe he has been used as a starter during his UConn career or during summer ball or his time with the national team. It would be certainly be easier to get him ready to pitch if he were a starter, but until we start hearing things about him starting games either this summer or in fall ball, I have to figure Crawford is the likely closer out of the bullpen for next season.

Reaction Score
I'm figuring Reggie Crawford to be the closer next season considering I don't believe he has been used as a starter during his UConn career or during summer ball or his time with the national team. It would be certainly be easier to get him ready to pitch if he were a starter, but until we start hearing things about him starting games either this summer or in fall ball, I have to figure Crawford is the likely closer out of the bullpen for next season.

It reminds me of when we had Kevin Vance who was the closer in 2010. He was our DH and closer hitting .322 7HR and had 8 saves in 17 appearances. I think the key will be if we A) have another strong 1B to play the field and B) a "normal" schedule with mid week games and only 3 game series on weekends. That will give us much more flexibility to use Reggie as a closer for maybe two of the three games on a weekend.

This past year was tough for our set up with only a couple go-to arms out of the pen when you have 4 games on a weekend. Using them in say the first game on Saturday would burn them for game 2 and if Sunday is not a close game, they only get used once. Or even if they get used Friday for 20+ pitches, they may not be available all day Saturday missing 2 game changes. If you can tell, I muchhh prefer the 3 game series haha.

Reaction Score
It reminds me of when we had Kevin Vance who was the closer in 2010. He was our DH and closer hitting .322 7HR and had 8 saves in 17 appearances. I think the key will be if we A) have another strong 1B to play the field and B) a "normal" schedule with mid week games and only 3 game series on weekends. That will give us much more flexibility to use Reggie as a closer for maybe two of the three games on a weekend.

This past year was tough for our set up with only a couple go-to arms out of the pen when you have 4 games on a weekend. Using them in say the first game on Saturday would burn them for game 2 and if Sunday is not a close game, they only get used once. Or even if they get used Friday for 20+ pitches, they may not be available all day Saturday missing 2 game changes. If you can tell, I muchhh prefer the 3 game series haha.

UConn does have an incoming recruit, 1B grad transfer Ben Huber. He was a big hitter from Limestone College, a non Division 1 school in South Carolina. We'll have to see how well he hits playing against the Division 1 schools that UConn goes up against, but he is doing well in summer ball.

Reaction Score
Destination for Simeone

So Joe Simeone goes from the Big East to the Big South. At any rate, I'm glad to see he found a landing spot in Division 1. I was always something of a Simeone fan while he was in Storrs, just disappointed he wasn't able to unlock his potential with the Huskies. Whatever the case, those things do happen. Still, hopefully things will work out for Simeone at Gardner-Webb.

A little story on the Gardner-Webb transfers into the baseball program, including some stuff on Simeone:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom