Change Ad Consent UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

-
Traditionally the last noteworthy event of the fall ball season is the gathering of the team in the cemetery at the graves of the Storrs brothers where the team captains are named for the coming season. This traditionally takes place the Friday before the Thanksgiving break. It is another piece of UConn baseball business that I always look forward to, but with the pandemic going strong, who knows if this happening will take place.

I have to admit I've been intrigued by Ben Maycock as an interesting potential power option in the lineup for what seems to be an eternity. During his various excursions in previous summer ball seasons, he has always been someone with a goodly amount of power who walks and strikes out a lot. Last season Maycock was in the starting lineup for UConn at the beginning of the season, but his excessive strikeout totals quickly drove him out of the starting lineup. If Maycock ever gets his strikeout numbers under control and make more contact, he could very well add a lot of power to the Husky offense. Of course, you can pretty much already pencil in Chris Winkel and Kyler Fedko as outfield starters. It would seem that Maycock would be competing with Kevin Ferrer and Erik Stock for the last outfield spot, and could also be in the mix for at bats in the D.H. spot as well.
Stock can't be competing for a spot in the starting 9. His performance last season was way too good for him to lose his spot in practice. Stock has to be a starter (whether at 3B, DH or the outfield) unless and until he doesn't get it done in real games.

Stock can't be competing for a spot in the starting 9. His performance last season was way too good for him to lose his spot in practice. Stock has to be a starter (whether at 3B, DH or the outfield) unless and until he doesn't get it done in real games.
Of the three guys I mentioned, I would consider Ben Maycock to have the longest odds on taking over the third outfield spot in the spring. Like I said I’ve always thought he has some interesting potential with his power and speed, but he needs to get his strikeouts under control to get out onto the field, and he hasn’t done that yet in his time in a UConn uniform. I also consider Kevin Ferrer to be a pretty interesting candidate for that spot as well. One thing to remember is that this seems to be a pretty deep UConn team both on the mound and out on the field, so there are a lot of guys who could end up playing or end up coming off the bench depending on what happens.

I’m not taking anything away from Erik Stock. He was terrific at the bat in his 8 starts in the shortened spring season. But to me 8 games in baseball is not a real long time span. Still, Stock had a big hot streak in that short time period, and that would have to count in his favor. Anyone who hits like that on a consistent basis is going to find his way out on the field. I have no idea how Stock did during the fall ball season, but from what I recall Stock did not do all that well with the bat in summer ball.

I do disagree with your seeming assertion that fall ball practice and scrimmages mean nothing. I think most coaches would say that playing time in real games is earned in practice, whether it is in fall ball or at other times of the year.

Given the depth of this team, I would think there is going to be some interesting competition for playing time in the field this spring. I’m guessing the most likely starters for the coming season would be Chris Winkel and Kyler Fedko in the outfield, Reggie Crawford at 1B (I should note that Crawford did not have a good summer at the plate either, but considering his talent and ability I would be surprised if he does not start in the spring), Christian Fedko at 2B, and Pat Winkel behind the plate. There has been a lot of praise this fall ball season for Ciarran Devenney, and from the interviews with the coaching staff that I have listened to it would seem that he is going to get some time at D.H. when he isn’t giving Pat Winkel a break at catcher.

All in all, it is going to be interesting to see how playing time sorts itself out in the spring, as there could be some real surprises. For instance, it would seem that Andy Hague with his big fall ball performance is probably the leading candidate to be the starting shortstop if and when the spring season starts, which could end up pushing Zach Bushling over to 3B.

Last edited:
Is Pat Winkel back and ready to roll? I am sorry
If this is posted somewhere in this thread. Was just curious and he had a great first year and I hope he comes back better than ever.

Is Pat Winkel back and ready to roll? I am sorry
If this is posted somewhere in this thread. Was just curious and he had a great first year and I hope he comes back better than ever.
First few posts in thread and there are few articles buried within the thread discussing his comeback. Scroll back to post #119 for recent post scrimmage interview w/ Chris Jones.

Reggie Crawford bat did a lot of talking in his shortened debut season, and it sounds like it continued during fall ball as well. Coach Mac in a recent interview had indicated that Crawford had taken a big step forward on the mound, this tweet would seem to be a good indicator of that progress.

I have heard that UConn baseball has a couple more players with the team during fall ball who have not been previously mentioned in these baseball threads. They are ... and Noah Yokoi, who was at Avery Point the last two years.
I know this is over a month late, but I've been out of the UConn baseball loop for a while and am just catching up now. When I saw Noah's name come up, I had to comment. Known him personally since he was about 11; incredible back then, big time pitcher and hitter for neighboring Norwalk's Cal Ripken World Series team in 2010. Comes from an awesome family, too.

He was destined for big things early on (starting C for Staples as a freshman in 2013), but tore his labrum winter of his sophomore year (if I'm remembering correctly) and really struggled to get back on track after that. I'd heard he was going to JC in hopes of getting back on a D-I baseball program's radar, but I didn't know it was Avery Point. Sufficed to say, I'm rooting for him to find a role with the Huskies.

I know this is over a month late, but I've been out of the UConn baseball loop for a while and am just catching up now. When I saw Noah's name come up, I had to comment. Known him personally since he was about 11; incredible back then, big time pitcher and hitter for neighboring Norwalk's Cal Ripken World Series team in 2010. Comes from an awesome family, too.

He was destined for big things early on (starting C for Staples as a freshman in 2013), but tore his labrum winter of his sophomore year (if I'm remembering correctly) and really struggled to get back on track after that. I'd heard he was going to JC in hopes of getting back on a D-I baseball program's radar, but I didn't know it was Avery Point. Sufficed to say, I'm rooting for him to find a role with the Huskies.
I'm thinking that with the expanded roster (seniors returning don't count against the 35 player spring limit, that would include Chris Winkel, David Langer, Ken Haus, and Randy Polonia) and with the pandemic still with us, I would think it likely that UConn baseball might carry an extra catcher or two. That could be potentially good news for either Noah Yokoi or Ryan Hyde, both new to the team this fall ball season. Freshman recruit David Christoforo also has catcher listed among his positions.