UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Is Pat Winkel back and ready to roll? I am sorry
If this is posted somewhere in this thread. Was just curious and he had a great first year and I hope he comes back better than ever.

Reaction Score
Is Pat Winkel back and ready to roll? I am sorry
If this is posted somewhere in this thread. Was just curious and he had a great first year and I hope he comes back better than ever.
First few posts in thread and there are few articles buried within the thread discussing his comeback. Scroll back to post #119 for recent post scrimmage interview w/ Chris Jones.

Reaction Score

Reggie Crawford bat did a lot of talking in his shortened debut season, and it sounds like it continued during fall ball as well. Coach Mac in a recent interview had indicated that Crawford had taken a big step forward on the mound, this tweet would seem to be a good indicator of that progress.

Reaction Score
I have heard that UConn baseball has a couple more players with the team during fall ball who have not been previously mentioned in these baseball threads. They are ... and Noah Yokoi, who was at Avery Point the last two years.
I know this is over a month late, but I've been out of the UConn baseball loop for a while and am just catching up now. When I saw Noah's name come up, I had to comment. Known him personally since he was about 11; incredible back then, big time pitcher and hitter for neighboring Norwalk's Cal Ripken World Series team in 2010. Comes from an awesome family, too.

He was destined for big things early on (starting C for Staples as a freshman in 2013), but tore his labrum winter of his sophomore year (if I'm remembering correctly) and really struggled to get back on track after that. I'd heard he was going to JC in hopes of getting back on a D-I baseball program's radar, but I didn't know it was Avery Point. Sufficed to say, I'm rooting for him to find a role with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Fret not @dbmill a little Yankee/Husky ingenuity...

Not fretting at all, I think it is indeed a great piece of Yankee/Husky ingenuity. The tradition keeps going even if it has to get altered due to the current situation.

Reaction Score
I know this is over a month late, but I've been out of the UConn baseball loop for a while and am just catching up now. When I saw Noah's name come up, I had to comment. Known him personally since he was about 11; incredible back then, big time pitcher and hitter for neighboring Norwalk's Cal Ripken World Series team in 2010. Comes from an awesome family, too.

He was destined for big things early on (starting C for Staples as a freshman in 2013), but tore his labrum winter of his sophomore year (if I'm remembering correctly) and really struggled to get back on track after that. I'd heard he was going to JC in hopes of getting back on a D-I baseball program's radar, but I didn't know it was Avery Point. Sufficed to say, I'm rooting for him to find a role with the Huskies.

I'm thinking that with the expanded roster (seniors returning don't count against the 35 player spring limit, that would include Chris Winkel, David Langer, Ken Haus, and Randy Polonia) and with the pandemic still with us, I would think it likely that UConn baseball might carry an extra catcher or two. That could be potentially good news for either Noah Yokoi or Ryan Hyde, both new to the team this fall ball season. Freshman recruit David Christoforo also has catcher listed among his positions.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Here’s a new interview of Jim Penders, courtesy of Baseball America.

Some tidbits:

-The two worst games we played last year were the last two games vs. Hartford and Presbyterian. The fact that UConn won both was a good sign according to Penders. Penders thought the team was heading in a good direction before Covid blew up.

-Penders is taking a page from the Rays in terms of building from the “back end”

-Gallagher took lumps this fall apparently.

-Casparius and Haus look like strong starters.

-Wurster might start this spring! Penders is happy enough with the bullpen that he might try Wurster out as a starter, and move him back to a closing role if we need a reliable closer or if Wurster struggles with the extra load on his shoulders

-Kyler was the best player of the fall. Crawford struggled a bit at the plate apparently. We are loaded in the outfield.

-Crawford was unhittable at times this fall, and has great potential there.

-He talks up the Big East and says that Saint John’s, Xavier, Seton Hall and Creighton will provide good competition. (personally, I will miss the American dearly for baseball, but Penders seems fine moving on)

Wurster potentially starting is new info!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great detail from the podcast, will most definitely check it out. Interesting to hear about Wurster as a starter, I know I personally would prefer to have him as the closer but with all this depth, it could be interesting to try and move people around!

Reaction Score

Here’s a new interview of Jim Penders, courtesy of Baseball America.

Some tidbits:

-The two worst games we played last year were the last two games vs. Hartford and Presbyterian. The fact that UConn won both was a good sign according to Penders. Penders thought the team was heading in a good direction before Covid blew up.

-Penders is taking a page from the Rays in terms of building from the “back end”

-Gallagher took lumps this fall apparently.

-Casparius and Haus look like strong starters.

-Wurster might start this spring! Penders is happy enough with the bullpen that he might try Wurster out as a starter, and move him back to a closing role if we need a reliable closer or if Wurster struggles with the extra load on his shoulders

-Kyler was the best player of the fall. Crawford struggled a bit at the plate apparently. We are loaded in the outfield.

-Crawford was unhittable at times this fall, and has great potential there.

-He talks up the Big East and says that Saint John’s, Xavier, Seton Hall and Creighton will provide good competition. (personally, I will miss the American dearly for baseball, but Penders seems fine moving on)

Wurster potentially starting is new info!

Good informative interview, but that is often the case when Coach Penders gets talking. A little addition to the good info in the summary above, Caleb Wurster wants to be prepared as a starter.

As mentioned above, Reggie Crawford struggled at the plate in fall ball in trying to develop his power potential. He also had similar struggles at the plate during summer ball.

Big praise for the Fedko brothers, but that is nothing new.

Coach Penders mentions UConn baseball has three excellent defensive center fielders, those being Chris Winkel, Kyler Fedko, and California JUCO Terrence Simmons. That is pretty much the first mention I've heard of Simmons and what he brings to the team in terms of his talent.

As for the Big East, there are certainly competitive teams as mentioned above. I will miss the American for baseball as well, but I suspect Coach Penders knows UConn will benefit from the cutback in the horribly long road trips that were a big part UConn baseball during conference play, and I would agree with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good informative interview, but that is often the case when Coach Penders gets talking. A little addition to the good info in the summary above, Caleb Wurster wants to be prepared as a starter.

As mentioned above, Reggie Crawford struggled at the plate in fall ball in trying to develop his power potential. He also had similar struggles at the plate during summer ball.

Big praise for the Fedko brothers, but that is nothing new.

Coach Penders mentions UConn baseball has three excellent defensive center fielders, those being Chris Winkel, Kyler Fedko, and California JUCO Terrence Simmons. That is pretty much the first mention I've heard of Simmons and what he brings to the team in terms of his talent.

As for the Big East, there are certainly competitive teams as mentioned above. I will miss the American for baseball as well, but I suspect Coach Penders knows UConn will benefit from the cutback in the horribly long road trips that were a big part UConn baseball during conference play, and I would agree with that.

One additional comment from the Penders interview. He indicated to look for Zach Bushling at the top of the lineup, he will help lead the team from there. There have been hints about Andy Hague taking over at shortstop following his big fall season at the bat. If that happens, once again I'm guessing that Bushling could very well slide over to become the starter at 3B.

I've been thinking about the comment from Penders on the team having three excellent defensive center fielders. I'm not sure how much T.C. Simmons will play this season given the crowd in the outfield. However, one would expect that this will be the last season with UConn baseball for Chris Winkel and Kyler Fedko. If Simmons has shown anything with the bat, he may be the odds on favorite to be UConn's center fielder in the 2022 season. Of course, that is a long way off, and we have to get through the 2021 season before wondering what happens down the road in future seasons.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball has tweeted out a Coach Penders graveyard message from a previous year, but it is still good. Not a bad thing to post while waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven.

Reaction Score
I love all these posts from the team about the Fall stats but can’t help but chuckle that these great pitching stats are coming against....UConn hitters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom