UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021

Reaction Score
I don't love these 1 offs and honestly we haven't done a lot. What I worry about is if you go it for Clemson how far down the food chain will you go? FSU? North Carolina? BC? Texas? Oklahoma? Ok state? I think we are better off doing 1-1 with the P5 programs who will do them, and there are many, than doing too many of these. As the old story goes, a famous author goes up to a woman at a party and asks if she will sleep with him for $1million. She says "of course I will." Then he asks if she'll do it for a buck and she gets indignant! "What do you think I am?" She asks. "I think we've established that. Now we're just dickering about price." We need to avoid that scenario.

I'll worry about it if it happens. The slippery slope is almost always an intellectually lazy argument. You are not the exception.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's nice to get paid money before getting beaten to a pulp.

C

Chief00

The writer is mostly wrong - we will end up ok. For a guy with all that TV experience Aresco cut a really bad deal.

Reaction Score
We made a deal with the National Champs. I wouldn't mind if we did that next year as well.
In 2021 they could just as easily be 7-5. Clemson isn't an historic program like Michigan, Alabama, Texas or one of those. They are currently very good but mostly under achieve. And if Dabo goes they could step back bigly.

Reaction Score
In 2021 they could just as easily be 7-5. Clemson isn't an historic program like Michigan, Alabama, Texas or one of those. They are currently very good but mostly under achieve. And if Dabo goes they could step back bigly.

Good! Then we have an even better shot at beating a team that won a National Championship within 5 years of playing the game. Kids recruited then will still remember Clemsons Natty and will know we beat them. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Say what you will this is nothing more than a payday game. The equivalent of the Holy Cross game only we are Holy Cross in this case. That's Clemson's perspective. I get why we are doing it. I don't much like it and I worry that it will set a bad precedent not for games with Notre Dame or Alabama or Texas but for games with teams that should/would normally give us 1-1s. Then we get stuck with a Home schedule of Rhode Island and choose one of Buffalo/UMass/Western Michigan.

Reaction Score
Cheers :D

Back at ya. One of the few things I could ever stand about Boston. ;)

cheers-photo2.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

OK, I will give you Alabama, but Clemson has been several notches above the historic Michigan and Texas for a while now. Texas hasn't won 10 games in a season since 2009, and Michigan hasn't been great shakes the last 10 years, although coming on these last 2 with a new coach.

Yes, Clemson is averaging 12 wins a year in the last 6 seasons, so "mostly under achieve" - really - one losing season since 1999.

But, hey, UMass got $1.25 million to play the Gators last year. I feel like we are getting shorted at $1.2 in 2021 for this bloodbath considering inflation.

Reaction Score
Yes, we're doing it for the money. But we also did Notre Dame for money if I recall. Oh, and the big win in national tv also... ;)

I thought Notre Dame chickened out of their return game "here"(or in Foxboro or wherever)[/QUOTE]

It was a 6 game home and away that we killed because they wanted to paly at a bigger facility (Boston or NY). It was very stupid on our part. We should play anyone anywhere until we have established ourselves.

Reaction Score
OK, I will give you Alabama, but Clemson has been several notches above the historic Michigan and Texas for a while now. Texas hasn't won 10 games in a season since 2009, and Michigan hasn't been great shakes the last 10 years, although coming on these last 2 with a new coach.

Yes, Clemson is averaging 12 wins a year in the last 6 seasons, so "mostly under achieve" - really - one losing season since 1999.

But, hey, UMass got $1.25 million to play the Gators last year. I feel like we are getting shorted at $1.2 in 2021 for this bloodbath considering inflation.
This is a debate similar to the one over whether UConn is a basketball blueblood. My guess is if you ask anyone under 12 Clemson is right up there. Ask a larger group and they are nowhere to be seen. Reality is Clemson has won exactly 3 ACC titles in the past 20 years. Yeah they appeared in 2 straight national championship games and won 1 but they are a long way from the Alabamas and Notre Adams's and Texas of the world. Heck they aren't even Florida State or Miami in terms of history. And as I said if Dabo leaves, and who knows if someone dumps a truck load of cash in his driveway, they will revert to also ran I suspect. And not a soul is going to remember that Clemson was the 2016 National Champ if we beat them in 2021.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is the new reality of playing in the G5. If the school determines they can make more money selling this game to Clemson as opposed to paying and hosting a FCS school, then we have to do it on occasion.

If this was Rutgers, Pitt or Syracuse I would be pretty pissed as they are regional and I can't imagine that is a good look, but Clemson, Wisconsin, Florida, etc. the upper half of the P5, I think is a necessary evil.

Reaction Score
I'd have been ok with this game when we were still in the Big East. I'm definitely ok with it now. It is interesting, and gives the fanbase something to look forward to, even if it is unlikely to be a W.

Reaction Score
I'd have been ok with this game when we were still in the Big East. I'm definitely ok with it now. It is interesting, and gives the fanbase something to look forward to, even if it is unlikely to be a W.
...looking forward too? I look forward to whoever UConn plays. Why?
Two reasons:
1) To be A big time program lets start acting like one.
i.e. Do Texas fans care who they play...not really, sure there are bigger games, but they look forward to them all. In fact us looking forward to this game is like Texas looking to play Witchita State or Bum Fluck U. For their opener. We need to get pumped. To do that we need to win
2) There is a lot of seasons of football a lot of growth, a lot of focu, many many more practices, many more visits to the strength and conditioning programs. Many things outsid of our control. ...and let us not forget the immortal words, play each play like it's your last!

So I don't care who is on our schedule so long as it fits what UConn wants to accomplish...as a fan I got on this bus, was glad I survived the train wreck, and will stay on this bus, as long as UConn wants to put an FBS team into the grid-iron! Of course getting on this bus was much easier when I saw that Coach Edsall grabbed the keys with strength but turned to his old fans, and was honest. He is not the second coming, he is not the best coach out there. But he was ours and he is ours again. When he left, I wonder if he knew he could have stayed at UConn and retired here. Now, he wants to prove why he is best for UConn and both past and present players are glad he is here. Don't be surprised, when Ex players in the NFL are proud to say they played for UConn. So at every game, regardless of opponent - go to the game, and be prepared to be wowed, surprised, and on occasion disappointed. It's the surprises that keep me coming back. Sometimes those surprises are why is coach BD in a P5 program - other schools and conferences recongnize UConn as a P5. Again, we survived, the big surprise, we as fans got a coach but more important so did the players we root for. And now we'll witness what they can do when a true coach is at the helm. The wins may or may not come in year 1 but the out of his element play calling -BD or the lethargic sidelines under Pasqualoni and company. Trust me any player walking on the sidelines with his head down bumping into head coach Edsall, is likely not going to have to ever worry about raising his eyeballs on a lined field of grass. So ends my diatribe...GO HUSKIES, GO UCONN !

Reaction Score
This is a debate similar to the one over whether UConn is a basketball blueblood. My guess is if you ask anyone under 12 Clemson is right up there. Ask a larger group and they are nowhere to be seen. Reality is Clemson has won exactly 3 ACC titles in the past 20 years. Yeah they appeared in 2 straight national championship games and won 1 but they are a long way from the Alabamas and Notre Adams's and Texas of the world. Heck they aren't even Florida State or Miami in terms of history. And as I said if Dabo leaves, and who knows if someone dumps a truck load of cash in his driveway, they will revert to also ran I suspect. And not a soul is going to remember that Clemson was the 2016 National Champ if we beat them in 2021.

"My guess is if you ask anyone under 12 Clemson is right up there. Ask a larger group and they are nowhere to be seen." LOL, with 70 wins over the last six years, even the casual football fans, and yes most over 12 have Clemson at the top of their list. My fear is that most under 12 do not even have UConn football on any of their lists, as they were barely in kindergarten last time the Huskies had a winning record.

Except that Texas and Notre Dame wouldn't dare schedule Clemson now, and I am sure the mighty Ohio State doesn't want to see them again after getting boat raced by Clemson in the BCS 31-0, almost as bad as the UConn/BC game last year.

Reality is our perspective is skewed, and we need to handle "the gauntlet" schedule of the Cincinnatis, East Carolinas, and Tulanes, to even entertain the pipe dream of competing against a perennial power in a power conference.

Reaction Score
Only thought and comment about this game at the present time as my all my family members are currently making plans for heading down to the game is we must show them we at least think big time. My son graduated as an architect from there and we went to a game each year and a few thereafter is this is a really big stage. Randy will have the team ready as I evidenced at Notre Dame so I'm not concerned there but are All American Marching Band show also. They trumped the Irish band in South Bend, as their fans declared as I watched as they too marched down the road into the stadium and their playing in the stadium made all us Huskies so damn proud. They are the pride of CT and also an integral part of this program. So disgusted they were not at the NAVY game.

Reaction Score
There is very little downside to playing this game as long as we can keep this coaching staff intact until 2021. Thats our best shot at a good showing and maybe enhancing value to the networks and others who pull the strings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom