UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021

Reaction Score
How is this bad other than we get our butts whooped? It's Clemson - the school that just beat Alabama for the NC. Nothing else on our future schedules is all that attractive at all. You wanted P5 schools - here's the cream of the crop.

Reaction Score
Love love love!!! Now let's get some more big games ! Same people that hated on this hated on Notre Dame series. That ND game at South Bend was my favorite Huskies game . Let's go anywhere and play!! Swamp /Horseshoe /Coliseum...this also great for recruiting!

Reaction Score
I'd rather do home and homes, neutral sites, or even 2-for-1's. This move screams FCS.

Also, this specific school had a sizable role in our current conference affiliation.
Ha ha. Reality. Super game

Reaction Score
I don't love these 1 offs and honestly we haven't done a lot. What I worry about is if you go it for Clemson how far down the food chain will you go? FSU? North Carolina? BC? Texas? Oklahoma? Ok state? I think we are better off doing 1-1 with the P5 programs who will do them, and there are many, than doing too many of these. As the old story goes, a famous author goes up to a woman at a party and asks if she will sleep with him for $1million. She says "of course I will." Then he asks if she'll do it for a buck and she gets indignant! "What do you think I am?" She asks. "I think we've established that. Now we're just dickering about price." We need to avoid that scenario.

Reaction Score
I don't love these 1 offs and honestly we haven't done a lot. What I worry about is if you go it for Clemson how far down the food chain will you go? FSU? North Carolina? BC? Texas? Oklahoma? Ok state? I think we are better off doing 1-1 with the P5 programs who will do them, and there are many, than doing too many of these. As the old story goes, a famous author goes up to a woman at a party and asks if she will sleep with him for $1million. She says "of course I will." Then he asks if she'll do it for a buck and she gets indignant! "What do you think I am?" She asks. "I think we've established that. Now we're just dickering about price." We need to avoid that scenario.

We made a deal with the National Champs. I wouldn't mind if we did that next year as well.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
If you wanna be big you gotta dream big and win big. We aint exactly gonna miss out on the playoffs because we lost to clemson.

Reaction Score

Why would you ever include UNC, BC, and OK State with FSU, Texas, and Oklahoma? It doesn't strengthen your point, it weakens it. Because we've already signed an equitable four game series with BC.

What a terrible analogy. Prostitution is a moral and legal argument. We're talking about a football game, it's nowhere near applicable.

It's amazing how many people are tuned in to the athletic department and still have no understanding or acceptance of how badly we need this money. We don't have a choice but to take games like this. If Texas or Oklahoma called and offered up $1 million to play and Benedict said no, he should be fired on the spot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks this is anything but a big positive doesn't get it. Getting games like this on the schedule is important for revenue, recruiting, and fan interest. Doesn't matter that it is a road game with no return. You need to get them on the schedule at all before you can think about getting similar games at home.

This is UConn 2.0 in nearly all aspects.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
One of my best friends graduated from the University of North Texas (C-USA). He says these are "body bag" games. North Texas has often played at Alabama, LSU, etc. where they: 1) collect $1 million, 2) lose 49-17, and 3) bring the bodies home. There is never a home and home agreement, or even a two-for-one.

I want to believe we haven't reached that point.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
While we'd all love home and home series, they aren't happening with teams on Clemson's level. Not only are people missing how big a chance thus us for us, they are also missing the important part, we get paid over a million bucks for it. I think it's time for folks to accept our place in the college landscape. This is our football future should the CR train stop. We get money where we can get it. I give AD Dave credit for landing this one.

I might be a little less thrilled if this deal was made with BC, Cuse, or Rutgers. I don't think we've dropped that low, yet.

I'd love if we did an away game for money with PSU. Would be helpful for us both with a win and on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
I doubt BC, Cuse or RU would come up with a million to pay us when they can pay 400k to a MAC school.

I see 2 for 1 games with BC being played at BC with our return games being played at Fenway and Gillette. That's not such a bad deal for us. RU has to be home and home as does SU.

Reaction Score
I see 2 for 1 games with BC being played at BC with our return games being played at Fenway and Gillette. That's not such a bad deal for us

Why do a 2:1 w/ BC when we have already have a future H/H on the book??

Reaction Score

>>Expect UConn to schedule more games similar to this, replacing home-and-home series with Power Five teams (such as deals currently in place with Missouri and Tennessee) with single road contests in exchange for a paycheck. Such games are crucial to UConn's operation, especially with Big East exit money set to dry up in about a year.<<

Reaction Score
It was inevitable (bcinterruption.com): Tears Of Unfathomable Sadness, Volume 22: UConn Is Basically Acknowledging Its FCS Status At This Point

Popcorn racoon.gif

Reaction Score
One of my best friends graduated from the University of North Texas (C-USA). He says these are "body bag" games. North Texas has often played at Alabama, LSU, etc. where they: 1) collect $1 million, 2) lose 49-17, and 3) bring the bodies home. There is never a home and home agreement, or even a two-for-one.

I want to believe we haven't reached that point.

It is what it is. No way your AD can thumb their noses at playing 1 game for 1.2 million dollars out of some misguided sense of pride. Uconn is in survival mode. The AD needs money and this is an easy way to make some. There may be one more round of conference realignment in a few years, Uconn needs to sustain itself until then.

Reaction Score
Taking some historical notes:
When Miami & V.Tech left for the ACC, the Big East promptly asked UConn to join a year earlier than scheduled to help fill the void. Randy promised that UConn would be ready for conference play. Syracuse fans came to our former board & "informed" us that it would take about 10 years for the Huskies to be 1-A respectable & to expect to be conference doormats in the interim. Didn't work out the way they planned.
HCRE has 4 seasons to get this team up to speed. If history is any judge, he can do this.

Reaction Score
Taking some historical notes:
When Miami & V.Tech left for the ACC, the Big East promptly asked UConn to join a year earlier than scheduled to help fill the void. Randy promised that UConn would be ready for conference play. Syracuse fans came to our former board & "informed" us that it would take about 10 years for the Huskies to be 1-A respectable & to expect to be conference doormats in the interim. Didn't work out the way they planned.
HCRE has 4 seasons to get this team up to speed. If history is any judge, he can do this.
We still hold winning records over Cuse and Pitt. Even if you give Cuse the 2 vacated wins back, we're still ahead 6-4.
Winsipedia - Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Connecticut Huskies football series history games list
Winsipedia - Syracuse Orange vs. Connecticut Huskies football series history games list

those fans.

Reaction Score
The game is five seasons from now. UConn might be in a position to win this game by then.

I traveled to Clemson on business quite a lot a few years ago. Love that little place. But when I started going (10 or 12 years ago?), they were no better than UConn. I think both teams played Ball State or some other common opponent one year and as I recall UConn did better than they did. Things change, although I would agree that once you win a national championship the trip back down is a lot slower.

Reaction Score
I just told my wife I know what we are doing for our 40th anniversary. She said it better not be what we did for our 30th, (we were in DC, (on our way to the UConn @ Maryland game). At least I gave her 4 years to get over it.

That's on you for getting married during football season ;)

Reaction Score
Agreed on scheduling P5s 1-1s, but doing for Clemson/ND is not exactly starting in the middle of the food chain.

Reaction Score
We've got 3 more games with BC on the schedule. Let's see how they feel about us as an FCS program at the end of this 4 game series. If they're 4-0, hey, maybe they're right. Anything less than 3-1 reflects poorly on them. We come out 3-1 and they can suck it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom