UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn at Clemson September 11, 2021

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
We are going to one of the greatest places that there is to battle on the gridiron and there are people here griping about this?
UConn is NOT in a position to be dictating home and home matchups with the upper echelon.
This game and the 1.2 million payout is fantastic for the team, the school, the recruiting and yes...we as fans. It is amazing how someone will always find a negative to something they do no matter how incredibly opportunistic it is.

Reaction Score
I guess I get why we're doing it. I don't see Clemson as that big a deal and as a result it opens the door to other even less attractive opponents big timing is. I also get they won the phony championship last year which puts them in a tie with Army in terms of the number they've won. Oh and in my earlier comment which read under 12 should have said "under 21."

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It is amazing how someone will always find a negative to something they do no matter how incredibly opportunistic it is.

What kills me is that the people who are complaining about playing this game are the same people who would cut off their left testicle to get into the ACC. Well, who do they think we would be playing in the ACC???

This is a marquis matchup, and we should always seek to add marquis matchups. Yes, it's great when they can be home games, but this gives us an opportunity to punch a top level team in #$king mouth in 4 years time and get paid doing it... :cool:

Reaction Score
We might need a game like that every year to help pay HCRL's future salary :)
The problem with doing a yearly game is thAt it hurts your home schedule in 2 ways. First you never get a BIG draw. Second you never get more than 6 home games. Or you get multiple crapiola games because you have to buy a MAC game or worse URI and Towson. I'm guessing here but I suspect that Missouri will be our best draw this year. As the George O'Leary said when he was Central Florida AD "I have a building to fill and I need schools to come here to fill it." If you do this every year youll never fill your building.

Reaction Score
I know there's been names thrown around in this thread but let's try and make a list; which schools would you all be willing to play one off buy games with?

Reaction Score
I know there's been names thrown around in this thread but let's try and make a list; which schools would you all be willing to play one off buy games with?

Definites:

UND
PSU
FSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Texas
Michigan
Ohio St.
Oklahoma
USC
LSU

Maybes (but would hope not):

Georgia
Tennessee (I assume that the "series" is dead)
Nebraska (just for the name aspect, I guess)

Reaction Score
Definites:

UND
PSU
FSU
Florida
Alabama
Auburn
Clemson
Texas
Michigan
Ohio St.
Oklahoma
USC
LSU

Maybes (but would hope not):

Georgia
Tennessee (I assume that the "series" is dead)
Nebraska (just for the name aspect, I guess)

Georgia would interest me a whole lot more than Auburn but that's partially for selfish reasons, my fiancé went to UGA and Athens>>>>>Auburn, AL

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't love these 1 offs and honestly we haven't done a lot. What I worry about is if you go it for Clemson how far down the food chain will you go? FSU? North Carolina? BC? Texas? Oklahoma? Ok state? I think we are better off doing 1-1 with the P5 programs who will do them, and there are many, than doing too many of these. As the old story goes, a famous author goes up to a woman at a party and asks if she will sleep with him for $1million. She says "of course I will." Then he asks if she'll do it for a buck and she gets indignant! "What do you think I am?" She asks. "I think we've established that. Now we're just dickering about price." We need to avoid that scenario.

So do you prefer Towson St instead of playing the National Champion? I would rather do this 10 out of 10 times period.

Reaction Score
Georgia would interest me a whole lot more than Auburn but that's partially for selfish reasons, my fiancé went to UGA and Athens>>>>>Auburn, AL

I thought about putting Auburn in the "maybe" category, but their recent success (national championship in the last 10 years) weighed in their favor.

Reaction Score
I thought about putting Auburn in the "maybe" category, but their recent success (national championship in the last 10 years) weighed in their favor.

Georgia is also extreamly fertile recruiting grounds

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
screw Clemsuck they kept us out of the ACC. That said, nice to see this on the schedule.
Yep. Them and the Semenholes. We ain't big time enough on the gridiron for those 2.
But like The pledges in Animal House - "We need the dues."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
B1G:
Mich
PSU
OSU
Neb

ACC:
FSU
Clem (because we just did)
ND (but they'd never do it now)

B12:
Texas
OU

SEC:
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Miami (for recruiting purposes and a nice sunny road trip)

P12:
USC
Oregon

Reaction Score
B1G:
Mich
PSU
OSU
Neb

ACC:
FSU
Clem (because we just did)
ND (but they'd never do it now)

B12:
Texas
OU

SEC:
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Miami (for recruiting purposes and a nice sunny road trip)

P12:
USC
Oregon

Thank you for your answer! I think you meant to put Miami in the ACC; unless, of course, you know something we don't, in which case we'd be very interested in hearing

Reaction Score
The irony is that 98% of the views on that article are probably from UConn fans . . .
So, are they saying BC scheduled a home and home with an FCS program? If they believe UConn to be so inferior, then why schedule a home and home? BC Jerkoffs

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>"To be responsible and to allow us to continue to operate at the way we've been operating, we've got to find ways to generate more revenue," athletic director David Benedict said as he left the board meeting. "That, certainly, is a very good option because there aren't many opportunities where you can grab buckets of a million dollars or more in one fell swoop."<<

>> The Huskies will pay their travel expenses, probably around $200,000, and have the remaining $1 million to use at their discretion. Clemson foots the bill for costs of operation and hosting the game but, of course, will bank millions in gate and concession revenue.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To those who think this move reeks of FCS, where exactly do you think UConn stands right now? The Huskies couldn't come close to winning the FCS championship last year and probably this year either.

Reaction Score
So do you prefer Towson St instead of playing the National Champion? I would rather do this 10 out of 10 times period.
The problem really is that this game will mean the home schedule likely is something like Towson, UMass. If you are looking to rebuild a fan base there ain't much there to do it. This isn't about some great matchup. It is a payday game. Nothing more. A handful of well healed fans will make the trip but it won't put one more fanny in one more seat at the Rent. I get it is a balancing act. So as long as we don't make this an annual thing I am ok with it. My preference frankly would be home-home with Virginia or someone. My guess is that once lesser schools know we will do these games it will be much tougher to get home-home games with the Virginias and Northwesterns of the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom