UConn Assist Record - Nika | The Boneyard

UConn Assist Record - Nika

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Nika Mühl is on track to far surpass Sue Bird’s UConn WBB record of 231 assists in a single season before the NCAA tournament even begins.

Sue Bird in 2001-02 recorded 231 assists and 93 turnovers for 2.48 assist/TO ratio.
Nika this season has 154 assists 58 turnovers for 2.66 assist/turnover ratio.
I’m not saying Nika is better or worse. Just showing that for the amount of assists that Nika dishes out, her assist/turnover ratio is also pretty darn good. Not sure how many minutes Sue played vs. Nika.

Nika has 154 Assists with 13 games left in the regular season (if she can keep up her average of (currently 9.3)) will come out to 274 (totally obliterating Sue Bird's (Ironically #10) 231.

Disclaimer: This information was found on Facebook, it is NOT original.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1674065231935.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nika Mühl is on track to far surpass Sue Bird’s UConn WBB record of 231 assists in a single season before the NCAA tournament even begins.

Sue Bird in 2001-02 recorded 231 assists and 93 turnovers for 2.48 assist/TO ratio.
I’m not saying Nika is better or worse. Just showing that for the amount of assists that Nika dishes out, her assist/turnover ratio is also pretty darn good. Not sure how many minutes Sue played vs. Nika.

Nika has 154 Assists with 13 games left in the regular season (if she can keep up her average of (currently 9.3)) will come out to 274 (totally obliterating Sue Bird's (Ironically #10) 231.

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago. 31 regular season games. With 3 BE tourney games and possibly up to 6 NCAA games, Muhl could easily pass the 300 mark.

But let's be conservative. Say we have 13+3+4 = 20 more games. She would need to average 7.3 apg to get to 300. Very doable.

Just to pass Bird's 231, she would only need to average 3.9 apg.

This record has been around for 20 years.

Career wise if she can get to 300 this year, that would get her to 449 career wise. She would only need 91 to get into top 10 all time. 150 would get her to top 5. She would need 210 to pass Jefferson for all-time assist leader. Hmmm. (Although hopefully, Bueckers steals a bunch of her assists next year. ;))

Reaction Score
LOL, wait until next year when she plays between Azzi and Paige.
That is the combination I would like to see. It would appear that Nika's assists per minute would increase with those two to pass to. On the other hand with more dominant wins, I expect Nika's minutes to decrease somewhat, and she may share some of the ballhandling responsibilities with Paige.

Between Nika and Paige we will have two great passers on the floor most of the time, and Nika should benefit more offensively as well, with more open 3pt looks with the attention Paige and Azzi will draw, and of course being on the receiving end of some great passes from Paige. Nika may not scare any opponents with her overall scoring, but her shooting of open 3's has been pretty decent.

Reaction Score

if she stays healthy she gets all the records. I was at the game last night with good seats. I watched her carefully. As soon as she gets the ball in transition she looks up court and you can see her visualizing the break. She is a more vertical stop and pull up jump shot and a stronger left hand away from being the best PG in the country if she isn't it right now. She is such force out there on offense and forget about it on defense. She controls the game and knows exactly where to put the ball for each player.

Funniest moment for me last night was when Geno yelled at her for trying to pass the ball with 30 seconds left to Aaliyah on a break instead of holding for the last shot in the first quarter. You could just read her mind- " Forget about it Bro, we are up 25-9".

Reaction Score
I don't believe that she is eligible for a 5th year, I think that Aubrey is the last player that is eligible.
Wrong. Paige, Aaliyah and Nika are all eligible for a covid year too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
if she stays healthy she gets all the records. I was at the game last night with good seats. I watched her carefully. As soon as she gets the ball in transition she looks up court and you can see her visualizing the break. She is a more vertical stop and pull up jump shot and a stronger left hand away from being the best PG in the country if she isn't it right now. She is such force out there on offense and forget about it on defense. She controls the game and knows exactly where to put the ball for each player.

Funniest moment for me last night was when Geno yelled at her for trying to pass the ball with 30 seconds left to Aaliyah on a break instead of holding for the last shot in the first quarter. You could just read her mind- " Forget about it Bro, we are up 25-9".
Any other "personal" observations you made that you would care to share with us? I ALWAYS like to hear from posters who attended a game in person. They see a completely different game than those of us forced to watch it through a camera lens. :rolleyes:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is kind of confusing. So, the 2020 NCAA Tournament was canceled due to Covid. But UConn did get to win the Big East Tournament. Did UConn have anyone graduate in 2020? IIRC, Dawn Staley declared SC the unofficial NC, and that was Boston's freshman year.
2020-21 was Paige, Nika and Aaliyah freshman year. Paige won every NPOY award that she was eligible for. But that year, there were no fans allowed at the games, so the NCAA decided to give the athletes an extra year of eligibility.

For all players who decide to take that extra year, career records deserve an asterisk. For example, I believe Dorka is playing her fifth season, so her 1000 rebounds came in her fifth season. Caitlin Clarke may break the career scoring record in four years. If she decides to play a fifth year, she may set an unattainable career scoring record.

Historically speaking, in 1961, the American League expanded from 154 to 162 games, and from 8 to 10 teams, thus weakening each teams pitching staff. That is why they initially had an asterisk next to Roger Maris' 61 home runs, the last homer hit in the 162nd game. So much for the history lesson.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wrong. Paige, Aaliyah and Nika are all eligible for a covid year too.
Well now, there's a team.

Bueckers (GR)
Edwards (GR)
Muhl (GR)
Griffin (GR)
Fudd (Sr)
DeBerry (Sr)
Ducharme (Sr)
Patterson (Jr)
Bettencourt (Jr)
Brady (Jr r/s)
Arnold (So)
Shade (So)
Samuels (So)
El Alfy (So)
Zeibell (Fr)
Strong? (Fr)
Edwards? (Fr)

:D:cool:;)

Reaction Score
Unless she gets hurt or concussed, NIKA will be the all time assist leader with all the different categories involved before her career is over. NIKA is an assist robotic machine with one thing on her mind, pass and score. One thing on her mind like the Terminator and Sarah Conner. NIKA's brain works with vision, acuity and speed and she knows what she is doing. There is not one thing I would change about her. GO NIKA!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
One thing I’ve been noticing for the first time is how often Muhl uses screeners bringing the ball up to half court. This is not an unusual tactic, except that Muhl often seems to anticipate rather than react to the potential for a screen.

On a related note, I don’t think I’ve seen one post player almost nonchalantly jog up the floor in Muhl’s vicinity, rather than race down like a transition team ought to, as often as it happens this year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This thread has me intrigued. I looked up the single season NCAA record which is held by Courtney Vandersloot, Gonzaga with 367 in 36 games. #10 on the list is Neacole Hall from Alabama St with 318. Nika has a chance to get into the top 10 this year, which is pretty impressive.

For all those drooling of assists to come in 2024 need a dose of reality that when Paige is back, Nika will not be the primary ball handler the way she is this year, while Geno may lessen Paige's alpha ball handler role to shoot more, Paige is an even better creator of shots so she will absolutely be handling the ball, diminishing Nika's opportunities and thus making the team even better. That's not to say what Nika and this year's team is doing isn't truly remarkable, it is. Add in a healthy Azzi and Caroline at some point, there will always be great shooters and finishers on the floor for Nika to distribute to. I am so looking forward to the rest of this season....

Reaction Score
This thread has me intrigued. I looked up the single season NCAA record which is held by Courtney Vandersloot, Gonzaga with 367 in 36 games. #10 on the list is Neacole Hall from Alabama St with 318. Nika has a chance to get into the top 10 this year, which is pretty impressive.

For all those drooling of assists to come in 2024 need a dose of reality that when Paige is back, Nika will not be the primary ball handler the way she is this year, while Geno may lessen Paige's alpha ball handler role to shoot more, Paige is an even better creator of shots so she will absolutely be handling the ball, diminishing Nika's opportunities and thus making the team even better. That's not to say what Nika and this year's team is doing isn't truly remarkable, it is. Add in a healthy Azzi and Caroline at some point, there will always be great shooters and finishers on the floor for Nika to distribute to. I am so looking forward to the rest of this season....
And it's a safe bet that Geno will give KK some playing time, trusting she's anywhere close to her credentials as a player, in order to prep her for '24-25. Her PT will come from Nika's.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She is a more vertical stop and pull up jump shot and a stronger left hand away from being the best PG in the country
Gee. Something I've see saying for 2 years now. So much so that I made a post saying that I was, and still am, so tired of saying it that I felt as if I was whining. It's refreshing to hear someone else, aside from the nearly departed and highly missed @CocoHusky, say it. Although my complaint was that she was a poor finisher from either side of the hoop. She has certainly strengthened that right side though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting season this year as Uconn typically does not have a single player averaging more than about 5 assists per game while also usually being at the top of the assist tables as a team. Not sure exactly why Nika is dominating the team in assists as the other players are also passing well and it doesn't feel like the offense is significantly different from previous years.

Uconn has had a lot of really good point guards, but they have never led the nation individually in assists and their career assist numbers are outside the top 25 probably outside the top 50 and maybe not even in the top 100.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom